Commander/EDH Deck Talk

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Firbozz
First Video: Don't remember... 2-3 years ago

Re: Commander/EDH Deck Talk

Postby Firbozz » 01 Jan 2014, 18:04

I was thinking I would aim for fixing through land-searching, running the Panoramas and land-fetchers like Traveller's Amulet and its ilk.
I don't think Sunburst would be a good fit: All the cards with Sunburst are artifacts, and I was more hoping to use Domain cards for some instants and sorceries.
I realize that my mana-fixing plan'll be a bit slow, and will still need to be supplemented with some other forms of fixing, but this isn't meant to be a competitive deck, so I figure this method could prolly get by.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Jan 2014, 18:08

If you want to have good fixing, you should likely go a bit heavier on green than any other color, and have ramp spells that'll allow you to search up lands. Having shocks and stuff like Rampant Growth or the one sorcery that lets you grab two forests would help a lot with domain. Another good card is Nylea's Presence, since it'll make one land every single basic land type. It's basically an enchantment that makes all domain work to maximum effectiveness.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 01 Jan 2014, 21:25

So I'm looking to turn my Aurelia deck into a "lots of combat" deck. Here is a list of cards I've found and decided were good choices to use in order to hit the infinite combat goal and make everyone hate me.

Aggravated Assault
Aurelia, the Warleader (commander)
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Hellkite Charger
Stoneforge Mystic
Stonehewer Giant
Sword of Feast and Famine
Quest for the Holy Relic
World at War

Obviously the goal is to get either Aggravated Assault or Hellkite Charger out on the field alongside the Sword of Feast and Famine in order to achieve infinite combat on my turn (naturally assuming no one else gets in the way by killing off one of the pieces of the combo). Are there any cards I should consider to help make this combo happen more consistently (aka more tutors)? My worry is that because my current deck's strategy makes it very creature-heavy, I don't know how far I should go with turning them into combo focus; this is why so far the only "tutors" I have chosen are also creatures (and even then they only look for the Sword).
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 01 Jan 2014, 21:49

Spellbinder imprinted with Savage Beating is infinite, if they can't block. Also, Spellbinder is just good in general if you are going to be hitting people a lot, and have instants, and can be tutored by various things you've listed.

Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots are good at protecting your commander or a key creature, can be tutored, are cheap, and giving haste can cause you to win out of nowhere if people were expecting to have another turn.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 12 Jan 2014, 09:55

How do you guys feel about infinite combos in Commander? I'm of the opinion that if you don't have at least one janky infinite, you're not doing it right, but two-card infinites are kinda bland. I like to stick to three or more cards because the variance of the format means that they aren't always going to see play.

I need to get a Changeling Berserker, then my "kill the world" infinite combo is complete (4 moving parts).

Commander: Reaper King
Changeling Hero
Changeling Titan
Changeling Berserker
I can get infinite ETB triggers with this one, destroying everything one-by-one, unless of course it's got Indestructible. It's actually infinite without King out, but it does nothing.

I've also got DEN/Conscripts/Gilded Lotus in that deck, but that one's not as exciting. I'll make all the mana, steal all of your stuff and kill you all one-by-one. *yawn*

In my Ghave, Guru of Spores deck, I've got Ashnod's Altar and Doubling Season, because why wouldn't I?
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 12 Jan 2014, 16:48

As far as infinite combos go, I want them to be around, but I don't want them to be easy, and I don't want them to be common. It's all about fun, right?

As far as my decks go though, I don't think I have any infinite combos actually put together right now... However, there was a combo in one of my decks that I didn't see until later that is essentially infinite, in that it almost can't be stopped if someone lets me get it going:
I put together a shoddy Kemba, Kha Regent deck at one point, and I was looking at it one day and realized that if I have my Darksteel Plate and my Worldslayer equipped to... well, any creature really, I've essentially won the game. If I want to ensure that I'm winning, I can also add Whispersilk Cloak to the armament.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 13 Jan 2014, 09:58

I am not a fan of infinite combos, and the place I play at locally doesn't allow them. It is far too easy with tutoring to go off early/easily and to me that's just not fun.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
the3rdH0kage
First Video: Untap

Postby the3rdH0kage » 16 Jan 2014, 01:57

I'm trying to make a new Commander deck, I'd like to keep it 2 colored because I've played decks that were at least 3 color forever and it's getting boring. I can get any Commander that I would need to get and I really don't care about the playstyle. I'm good with whatever, just need an idea for the Commander.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 16 Jan 2014, 06:41

Ok, there are a LOT of 2-color commanders, though. I think the least number of commanders is green-blue with five. The list of commanders just keeps getting larger, too. If you want something that's kind of easy to throw together, Anax and Cymede is pretty good. A...

No, what kind of commander do you want? Are you looking for a commander to pile stuff on, a commander that performs some utility function, or a commander that rules the battlefield? What colors do you like to play?
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 16 Jan 2014, 09:26

Two more important questions: how powerful do you want to be, and how cruel to the people you're playing against can it be?
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
the3rdH0kage

Postby the3rdH0kage » 16 Jan 2014, 18:17

I want it to be pretty powerful,and not that cruel. I know the list of 2-color commanders are growing, I want something that rules the field but doesn't have to be there to have the deck be able to win. and I'm good with any color combos.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 16 Jan 2014, 18:38

That still doesn't really narrow it down all that much. I keep trying to think of suggestions that I could make but I don't know if any of them are at all helpful. How about Basandra, Battle Seraph? If you don't like that idea, it would help if you could tell us what you don't like about it so we can narrow it down.
Del
First Video: Canadaman

Postby Del » 17 Jan 2014, 07:38

I am totally making a mogis deck after born of the gods drops. The only reason I didn't make a gods deck before now was that the gods we had were only single color.
I walk the planes down in Ravnicaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 17 Jan 2014, 08:03

I think I'm going to put together a legendary superfriends deck after JOU comes out. All of the gods, and as many planeswalkers and other legends I can get my hands on, even if they play terribly together. Throw in some fixing and some graveyard recursion and I should be good to go.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Jan 2014, 08:09

Karona, False God sounds like a fine commander for that deck's flavor, Alric. :)
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

tamaness

Postby tamaness » 17 Jan 2014, 08:49

She'd probably be amazing as that deck's commander.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 17 Jan 2014, 17:47

This is the two colour deck I've been putting together - http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzets-big-drawers/ - This has been the cards I've had supplemented with a Commander pre-made box set, so the 'maybe board' is cards I want to get hold of for it.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 19 Jan 2014, 16:54

So I'm at GP Sacramento now for Day 2 side event fun times after falling short with a 5-3 record on Day 1. Going in to sign up for 4-Player Commander and behind me is Brian David-Marshall also in line to sign up for Commander (after he had lost during the Day 2 draft). How exciting!

Someone plays Braids on turn 2. BDM shows great annoyance at Braids and concedes, offering his pack to whoever can kill Braids as he leaves. The rest of us watch helplessly as Braids eats our stuff so early, and it really wasn't before long until the Braids player won anyway. It took like 7 min for the game.

On the other hand BDM let me have his pack anyway, but yeah that was some good times. I guess.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Jan 2014, 04:32

Alric: Heroes' Podium sound good for your deck, too? :D

tamaness

Postby tamaness » 22 Jan 2014, 12:29

Absolutely. I'll have to put that in when I build it.
the3rdH0kage

Postby the3rdH0kage » 22 Jan 2014, 16:43

Duckay wrote:That still doesn't really narrow it down all that much. I keep trying to think of suggestions that I could make but I don't know if any of them are at all helpful. How about Basandra, Battle Seraph? If you don't like that idea, it would help if you could tell us what you don't like about it so we can narrow it down.

That's actually something that looks like a fun commander. I'm going to build it and post the list when I get it done.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Jan 2014, 10:38

I was searching for something and it caused me to think of something else to search for, and I found out something interesting.

I can only find 6 cards in the history of Magic that don't require either tapping or sacrificing something to convert mana:

Agent of Stromgald (Red to Black)
Bog Initiate (Anything to Black)
Manaforge Cinder (Anything to Black or Red, but only 3 times a turn)
Skyshroud Elf (Anything to White or Red; Also taps for Green)
Orochi Leafcaller (Green to Anything)
Gemstone Array (2 Anything to 1 Anything)

I think this is a good list to keep handy for straight-up mana fixing that requires nothing else.

Also, in that search, I found Braid of Fire is probably completely busted mana ramp in red.

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2014, 11:40

Er...what about Dark Ritual?
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Jan 2014, 11:43

Well, that ramps. It doesn't convert. It just takes black and makes more black. I was looking at fixing, not ramp.

Also, if you're going into 1-shot spells, Manamorphose and such apply, too, but I was looking for permanents, particularly.

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Jan 2014, 14:26

These are things that one should specify to prevent Prospero from looking like an idiot. :P
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”