The Limited thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: The Limited thread

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Sep 2013, 16:07

If you had not said that Utilitarian, I was going to take it and just go to town expanding and exaggerating it further.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Sep 2013, 18:00

RAGE!!!!!
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 16 Sep 2013, 18:13

S'why I tend to avoid sealed: sometimes you're just fucked from the getgo
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 16 Sep 2013, 18:34

Here's the deck I'd play:

Dismiss Into Dream
Wall of Frost
Seacoast Drake
Trained Condor
Messenger Drake
Divination
Disperse
Frost Breath
Frost Breath
Claustrophobia
Zephyr Charge
Elvish Mystic
Scavenging Ooze
Ranger's Guile
Giant Growth
Lay of the Land
Fog
Rod of Ruin
Darksteel Ingot
Ring of Three Wishes
Domestication
Opportunity
9x Islands
9x Forests

Basically, it turns into a control-ish deck meant to buy you time. You have draw power to try getting to your primary win-cons. Which, in this case, would be dismiss into dream (which combos with Zephyr Charge and Rod of Ruin) and Scavenging Ooze. You can also get them from Ring of Three Wishes, or steal something of your opponents with Domestication if need be.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 16 Sep 2013, 21:04

Personally, I'd go UB w/ a green splash for Ooze. Control heavy and utilizes the most of the creatures pulled.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Sep 2013, 21:11

Honestly, I was torn between U/G, U/B, and G/B. I don't think that ooze is a good splash though. You need a good amount of mana to activate it's ability, especially if you play it late-game.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Sep 2013, 21:26

I went Black (5) Green (7) blue(5) I would have gone lower green because I didnt have much but I wanted to howl for at least 3 if I hit it.

[–]Graham_LRR
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 16 Sep 2013, 22:19

Kapol wrote:Honestly, I was torn between U/G, U/B, and G/B. I don't think that ooze is a good splash though. You need a good amount of mana to activate it's ability, especially if you play it late-game.

I agree that it is not the best splash, I'd run with 18 land and the ingot mainly so the ooze is more viable in the shutdown key grave-recursion cards (with an upside if it hits creatures).

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 16 Sep 2013, 22:23

I'm looking at Ooze as more of the deck's real bomb. It becomes huge pretty quick. And if you're careful, it can get big enough to avoid burn too.
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 16 Sep 2013, 22:36

I feel that green just isn't deep enough to survive and there is some insurance against Ooze removal though limited.

Hence why I'd be using Ooze as a utility-bomb (with targets thanks to B removal and U counters) more so than a flat-out bomb.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 30 Sep 2013, 20:04

OK I just played against the sickest sealed pool ever with what I shall call Mehh.

Opponent one had two scavenging ooze, Good hydra, double Enlarge triple deadly recluse.

Opponent two had 12 slivers in red green (brown) and two doors. He said he lost game one to someone with three shocks, two outrages and a doom blade.

Opponent three had from what I could tell almost mono blue fliers with three Wardens Double Air Servant, Double messanger drake, double Seakite and a mind seeker with splash of white for double pacifism, serra, Archangel of thune which he got out both games.

I have never lost 6 games strait before. I am so sad.

[–]Graham_LRR
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 01 Oct 2013, 11:23

Work allowing, get my first taste of Theros limited tomorrow. :D
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Oct 2013, 13:14

My opponent really does have a point.

[–]Graham_LRR
Fantazme
First Video: One of the Unskippables...

Postby Fantazme » 01 Oct 2013, 15:29

Haha.

Also, how have you gotten your side of the battlefield ontop instead of bottom?
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Oct 2013, 15:34

Replay. I was clicking ok for the win when he said that so I had to go back and make sure it was there.

[–]Graham_LRR
JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 04 Oct 2013, 13:35

First Theros draft on MTGO is in the books and I should probably just quit while I'm ahead. 3-0 with this deck, mainly red with some light blue and white. It wasn't a super-cohesive deck (I started trying for an aggressive red/white heroic deck but didn't really get there), but it worked well and with a few fixers the mana was fine.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Oct 2013, 14:52

At the Escapist Expo, some of us runners did a draft with Graham and some other expo attendees. It was pretty good fun. My third pack, I opened up an Anger Of The Gods... and a foil red god. Needless to say, I was happy. I also got a bunch of other great stuff from the draft, including a couple of temples.

I did a second draft before the concerts Saturday. I figured that I'd have plenty of time before the Miracle of Sound started playing (we started at 7, the doors opened at 8:30, and there were two acts before MoS). I drafted a SICK blue pool. I had a Master of Waves, three of the flying nymphs, two of the hexproof giants, an aqueous form, Swan Song, Prognostic Sphinx, and a bunch of other great stuff. I also picked up two temples, including the U/B one. So I splashed black for two Read the Bones and a Returned Phalenx. It should have been an easy win...

Except the drafting took a while since the people were all new to the set. I actually kind of knew some of them, and they had pressured me into joining since they needed one more. But it was still fine. I won my first match, and then went to watch the last one going on.

Two of the people playing ended up taking over 2 hours to play their match. The judges had not set a timer.

They finished, and I played through the second round and won pretty quickly. But it was 10:30 at this point. I was really worried I would miss the concert, which was the biggest single thing that I went for. So the judge, due to the fact that the first round was partly due to their mistake, allowed me to pre-emptively scoop the last round. It was a bummer, but oh well. I got good stuff in the draft, including two more temples.

I went the next day to pick up my prize packs. I open them. First pack, foil Savage Surge and a Artisan of Forms. Pretty solid. The next, an Elspeth. So right there I'm good. I open the last pack...

Another foil red god.

Can someone honestly do the calculations on how unlikely that is? Because out of the 9 packs I opened, I got two of the same foil mythic. That just boggles my mind.

EDIT: In the second draft, I also ended up with a foil and normal version of the green prerelease promo card in the same pack.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Oct 2013, 15:51

MtGO Theros pre-release = ALL of my hate...

Bad pools, one game where I lost by 1 damage because I mis-tapped my mana and couldn't ping the last life point off my opponent, mana screw all around, and MtGO constantly disconnecting... Out of 3 tournaments, I ended up 1-3 (and that only due to a bye), 0-4, and 0-4 (though I'm contesting the third because MtGO connection failures caused me to only play 1 round out of 4 for that tournament).
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Oct 2013, 18:21

Such a good pool. Side note, I realized that time ebb doesnt work with the elite arcanist round one game one, and went "OHHH CRAP, INSTANT!"

[–]Graham_LRR
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 12 Oct 2013, 21:25

Won my swiss, pulled an Elspeth. Theros is gearing up to be my best draft set :D

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Oct 2013, 20:41

Oh sweet I just opened four shocks two Chandras outrage and thee of those dragons that pop out of eggs in my Limited pool.

Oh wait no, (reads the cards) thats one shock on top of 3 smelts. two outrages and three dragon hatchlings, which are not NEARLY as good as dragon eggs DAMIT!

At least I didn't submit.

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 20 Oct 2013, 14:09

On top is the pool, the bottom is my deck with my record, did I force it because of the mythics?

[–]Graham_LRR
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 10 Nov 2013, 16:36

Sealed PTQ yesterday. I didn't do well (4-4) in the end, but it was a good day nonetheless. My pool was not amazing, but I can't blame that for my performance. I'm sure there was a better deck I could have built, or better plays I could have made.

My deck was:

3 Leonin Snarecaster
3 Scholar of Athreos
2 Hundred-Handed One
2 Disciple of Phenax
1 Tormented Hero
1 Lash of the Whip
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Boon of Erebos
1 Yoked Ox
1 Pharika's Cure
1 Read the Bones
2 Battlewise Valor
1 Baleful Eidolon
1 Travelling Philosopher
1 Sentry of the Underworld
1 Viper's Kiss
9 Plains
8 Swamp
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 10 Nov 2013, 17:16

I'm not a huge fan of the tap cat, unless you're quite aggressive, where this looks like it would want to slow things down.

In the same spot, I'd probably like something like Returned Phalanx, if you had them. Looks pretty ok otherwise.

However, you probably shouldn't listen to me, I went 0-3 drop at the sealed PTQ I went to.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 10 Nov 2013, 17:23

Yeah, I had exactly 0 Returned Phalanx in my pool, which wasn't nice. The tap cats basically served three purposes, none of which is the "typical" way I'd like to play the tap cat. Coming down early (and not tapping anything) to get in for early damage against my opponent's empty board, chump blocking something big, or coming down late game so I can get in for a bit more damage with Hundred-Handed One or something.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”