The Limited thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Re: The Limited thread

Postby phlip » 22 Dec 2013, 22:27

If you have equipment on your creature already, then giving it shroud won't make the equipment fall off. And there exists some way to attach an equipment to a creature without targeting the creature (eg Ogre Geargrabber or Auriok Survivors) then the creature having shroud won't prevent that.

The creature having shroud will stop you from equipping the equipment by normal means, though, as the "equip" ability itself is targeted ("Equip {cost}" is shorthand for "{cost}: Attach this permanent to target creature you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.").

For reference, the same applies to auras. You can't cast an aura targeting something with shroud (or an opponent's thing with hexproof) but those abilities don't make existing auras fall off, or prevent you from attaching an aura by other means (notably including putting an aura onto the battlefield in a manner other than by casting it... you get to choose what to attach it to from any of the legal objects, and this doesn't count as "targeting", so it can go on hexproof/shroud permanents).

Also notable is that this differs from protection, which does make enchantments and equipment fall off, as this is explicitly spelled out in the rules for protection (prevents damage, enchanting/equipping, blocking, and targeting).
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
CaptainEnder7
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby CaptainEnder7 » 05 Jan 2014, 07:08

This is a board state that actually happened. Cube!
(I lost all my lands to Ajani Vengeant the previous turn).

"Ok, so, some sort of well-dressed ostrich. What's the next move?"

"CaptainEnder7: Space Asshole and Rogue Space Pooper" - Kathleen (and Graham) Commercial
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 06 Jan 2014, 03:21

Honestly, I think that Urza's Block is the least amount of fun I've had whilst drafting. So many times the board ends in a stalemate and it has often gotten to who times out/draws out.

Eh, I guess I'm just used to more modern sets.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

JQuill
First Video: MTGO Academy Draft

Postby JQuill » 21 Jan 2014, 00:42

I'm glad we're getting a few more Flashback drafts between now and the new set, especially Mirrodin and Invasion blocks, both of which I have very little experience drafting. Also, while this could be typo, it seems the cost for these has gone back to 14 tickets (or 2 tickets plus product), which is really where they should be.

Also, while I'm not a huge Cube player, I do enjoy watching people draft it, be they LRR or Kenji or Marshall. This leads to what I have to say is one of my all-time favorite draft videos, LSV's latest Cube draft where he drafts Storm. Normally that leads to a round 1 loss, but not this time. I won't spoil the end result, but it does go 3 rounds and it's awesome to watch.

http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-lsv-holiday-cube-draft-4/
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Jan 2014, 13:16

Why dont more people just slam their 3 on color mythic and 2.5 on color rares in the deck with a little fixing for the "off" rare and call it a day?

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 08 Mar 2014, 21:59

Been on quite a heater on MTGO as of late, I'm nearing the 1800 ELO rating which I was so close to before. (Not that it surmounts to anything, of course.)

6x 8-4 drafts I've 3-0'd (majority were splits but we played for the QP)
2x Bottomed out (One of these I built around Phenax, the mill won once but didn't quite get there again.)

Here is one of my latest one: (M14)

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 09 Mar 2014, 00:58

It's so weird. I feel like I have M14 down, but just have no idea what I'm doing in Theros.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 09 Mar 2014, 04:10

Yeah M14 drafts are down to a formula for me, yet B-T-T is still iffy.

I like to force (for M14) RB burn sac when I can. It has garnered the most 8-4 wins for me.

korvys

Postby korvys » 09 Mar 2014, 18:45

I usually start in blue (cause it's the best in M14), pick up some green, then end up nearly mono-green once the blue gets cut. Which is fine, cause mono-green is actually pretty good, and a couple of blue cards can fill the holes it has.

keybase.io
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 09 Mar 2014, 21:48

I feel like the reason you guys have M14 down compared to Theros is because M14 is... just a lot easier as a draft format. Like, core sets in general are simpler than the sets. That's how I see it at least. I drafted M14 pretty recently, and it seemed a lot more straight-forward than Theros to me at least.
korvys

Postby korvys » 10 Mar 2014, 18:21

Yeah, but I mean relative to other players. Like, I win a lot in M14, but not in Theros. M14 is certainly simpler, but then other players should be equally at ease.

keybase.io
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 11 Mar 2014, 10:24

I just won an 8-4 for the first time! On the back of Ashen Rider.

You know, the 4WWBB for a 5/5 flier that exiles something on ETB.

I'm as surprised as you are.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 12 Mar 2014, 02:35

I have never been so happy to go 0-3 in a Swiss! What is the reason you ask? I got to resolve chromanticore on multiple occasions in a draft!
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 12 Mar 2014, 16:44

I... also did the Chromanticore plan.

I feel a little dirty but hey, I won round 1.
ZePancakes

Postby ZePancakes » 14 Mar 2014, 02:37

Speaking of dirty, I won my 8-4 with the 'counter all your stuff.dek'

I lived up to my sig very well. ALL THESE ANSWERS, I CAN'T HOLD 'EM CAPT!

Duckay

Postby Duckay » 18 Mar 2014, 17:51

It's not as entertaining as Chromanticore, but I tried an experiment based on the mythic I opened today, too.

I lost round one to a combination of faltering on mana and being beaten out of the gates by a fast heroic deck. Game two my opponent asked me in disbelief what I had lost to in round one, which I took as something of a compliment.

Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 19 Mar 2014, 20:35

Duckay wrote:It's not as entertaining as Chromanticore, but I tried an experiment based on the mythic I opened today, too.

I lost round one to a combination of faltering on mana and being beaten out of the gates by a fast heroic deck. Game two my opponent asked me in disbelief what I had lost to in round one, which I took as something of a compliment.

That's a damned shame going to Browntown didn't work out for you. Especially with that deck.

Please tell me you got some value off Disciple and Gary a few times.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 19 Mar 2014, 20:39

I Disciple'd the same card out of my opponent's hand two games in a row in round 2. (Sea God's Revenge.) Poor guy.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 22 Mar 2014, 01:21

Ended up doing a Chaos draft last night at my (now preferred) LGS. I went triple Theros, cause they were all out of M14 which I was planning to use. One guy there did 2 Worldwake 1 Shadowmore packs, and another did triple Ice Age. There was a bunch of confusion because of the number of cards in the packs, and the draft itself ended up being kind of miserable honestly. Most of the packs were Theros and RTR block.

I wound up going 2-0-1, getting my entry fee back in prizes basically. My deck was kind of bleh though. I only had... 4 or 5 cards at CMC 4+. That said, I pulled the 4/5 for GGG. I also pulled Wound Reflection pick 6(!), which ended up being my finisher. I played 3 sedge scorpions with a bunch of fight effects, as well as 3 Woolly Mammoths (nobody got snow-covered lands, btw. so in the end, the entire box of Ice Age had 0 snow-covered lands in it...), the 2 drop 'regen enchanted creature for G' enchantment, and a few other decent things.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 28 Mar 2014, 22:08

The draft gods were trying to teach me a lesson last night at FNM...

Going through pack 1, I was drafting WU heroic, but my picks weren't looking that strong... there were some minor signals that green was open, but I stuck to the plan, and kept taking white/blue. Then, pack 2, I open a pack that has: Polukranos, Karametra's Acolyte, foil Karametra's Acolyte, Nylea's Emissary and Nessian Asp. All in the same pack, taunting me.

Then, for pick 3, I get passed Gary. Then, for pick 4, I get passed Gary. Then, for pick 5, I get passed Gary. And I let them all through, and the player on my right made a horrifying BG deck with all three of them. And, in pack 3, I open Abhorrent Overlord.

Deck ended up being OK, but by all rights that deck should have gone 2-2 or 1-3, and I only managed to get to 3-1 by running super lucky in the games.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 29 Mar 2014, 05:49

Ever have a draft where you lose, but you lose to a deck that is so beautifully constructed you don't even feel bad about it? Like, "It was an honor to have my face caved in by that beautiful mechanism of destruction."

I had one of those during a Cube draft last night. I had built what I considered to be an okay WB weenies and angels deck. My round 2 opponent managed to build the nearly perfect "steal all your things" deck. He had I think every card that took control of opponent's creatures in the cube except Vedalken Shackles (which I beat in round 1), and then he had Greater Gargadon. So, steal all your stuff permanently, or if not permanently then long enough to hit you with it and feed it to the Gargadon, and at the end of all that he has a freaking 9/7 Gargadon several turns early.

We went to three games because in game 2 he got apallingly flooded, but in the presence of such a perfectly constructed deck I knew I was going to lose and I didn't mind at all. Sometimes you're just outclassed.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 29 Mar 2014, 08:44

So we had a triple-RTR draft at FNM last night, for no other reason than my local store owner felt like something different and didn't want to charge us $40+ for MMA.

I went 1-2, without having much idea of anything I was doing, since I never drafted RTR block at all back when it was the thing. Nevertheless, I built a surprisingly satisfying green-black-red scavenge deck that really didn't come together until round 3.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Mar 2014, 14:17

Another chaos draft last night. I'm starting to highly dislike them to be honest. When you mix older and newer packs, it leads to a good amount of confusion. There's also a decent power-level difference that really bothers me. Like a 4/4 for 4 in green with downside at uncommon was apparently nuts for Kamigawa.

Didn't pull anything good out of the draft. We had ten people, so we split into two pods of five. And I, of course, ended up in the draft with 4 Saviors of Kamigawa, 2 9th edition, 6 RTR, and 3 M14 (myself). Compared to the other table, which I think had 12 THS and 1 RTR-Block drafter made me worried that my consistency was going to be... less than ideal.

Also, as a side-note, if you do RTR block during a chaos draft, you're basically trolling. It's not so bad with just RTR or just GTC. But having a bunch of multicolored cards of different guilds normally isn't great, especially since the fixing to go triple-colored isn't as common. It means that it'll be easy to pick up stuff you can't use because all the mono-colored stuff has already been picked, and only guild stuff that you can't use is left. That's the way I see it at least. Kamigawa isn't as bad, but it's also a set that kind of requires having other Kamigawa packs since there's so much internal synergy, but not as much synergy with other sets.

In the end, I built a U/R/g deck and went 4-0. My opponent ended up giving me the first match by letting me 'unmiss' triggers to keep one of my guys alive, which has made me feel bad ever since. But he didn't want to be a dick, and I don't know if I'd have done any different.

The g splash was for two of the 4/4 for 4 with downside Kamis and a Centaur's Herald. The Kamis put in work. Herald, not so much. But I didn't have as many creatures as I would have liked in the two main colors. My mana-base being 8 mountains, 6 islands, and 3 forests worked fairly well though. Had a couple of mana-base troubles, but rarely did it kill me.

Some surprising all stars were:
-Flame Wave, 3RRRR sorcery that does 4 damage to your opponent and each creature he or she controls at uncommon... so a one-sided board wipe that one more than one game for me
-Sift, draw 3 discard 1 at 3U is actually solid
-Ronin Cavekeeper, 4/3 for 5R is unexciting, but the Bushido 2 put in a lot of work
-Sokenzan Spellblade, 4R for a 2/3 with Bushido 1 is pretty bad... until you see it's ability. 1R to give it +X/0 until EoT, where X is the number of cards in your hand. You can do it as many times as you want. Turns out, making him a 14/3 on turn 6 with no blockers wins games. Honestly the most frightening creature in my deck
-Somaro First to Dream, 4UU for a */* flier with P/T equal to the number of cards in your hand doesn't sound great. It comes down too late to be very big. But it's ability of 4, Return a land from you control to it's owner's hand: draw a card is surprisingly synergistic. I didn't realize that this basically gives him +2/+2, since you're putting two cards in hand, all while drawing a card. He put in quite a bit of work because of that ability.

Overall, glad I won, but I'm ready to be done with chaos drafts.
Cerk
First Video: The Job

Postby Cerk » 31 Mar 2014, 13:29

Went to my LGS for a B/T/T draft, and pick 2 I get passed a Chromanticore.
Internal monologie immediately ensues, but I end up shooting for the stars and picking said Chromanticore.
In the end I got a decent, primarily G/W/r deck splashing u/b for Chromanticore, Pharika's Mender and Sea Gods Revenge respectively. Ended up going 2-0, 1-2, 2-0 with it, and I lost to the guy who ended up winning the pod so it wasn't all bad. Deck allstars were Sedge Scorp, Nessian Asp, Ill-tempered Cyclops and Snake of the Golden Grove. Didn't have perfect fixing but I still got 2 Burnished Harts, a Karametras Favor, a Nylea's Presence and a Unknown Shores.

Unfortunately I only drew Chromanticore twice, and only once had the mana to cast it (all the other games I had the mana but not the creature, as according to plan)but that one time it was so sweet. I only played 1 swamp and 1 island in the deck, so was quite dependant on the Harts to get it.

Game 1 I go up against a nuts blue/white heroic aggro deck with several ways of making creatures unblockable/flying. Match 1 I was immediately rewarded for keeping a 4-land hand, 1 of each. Drew my only island turn 3, Chromanticore turn 4, play out on naturally drawn Domain turn 5. My opponent looked at the board, then me, went "Well that just happened." Still, he let me finish the game off rather than immediately scooping.

Game 2 I face a really good red/green deck that ended up winning the draft pod. Got 3 close games out of it but I ended up being ruined in match 3 by Forgestoker Dragon.

Game 3 I end up against a little weaker B/R deck that I wore down and eventually ruined with Sea God's Revenge. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how it went. Got to live the dream, if only just in one match.
Ptangmatik wrote:What? How dare you bring logic into this! Get in the fryer!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Apr 2014, 19:02

So I had today "free" I got all my papers done so I figured I would draft which I havent done in ages.

First time I wasnt really focused until half way through pack two. I did get to play Lord Carol so that was fun.

Second time this happened.
From left to right Pack 1 Pick 1 Pick 2 pick three Pack 2 Pick 1 Pick 2 Pick 3.

Here is how it ended up.

I didnt see another White or Blue card until pick 13 in either of those packs.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”