Bad Habits

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Re: Bad Habits

Postby Trisha Lynn » 28 Sep 2013, 15:22

I played against a dude at an FNM in Brooklyn who cast Sorceries and Instants so quickly that I couldn't read them. My mistake was not asking him to slow down. If I wanted to be a dick, I could have said, "Hey, I'm gonna ask to read all of your cards, so you should probably just stop doing that now, okay?"

My bad habit is that I forget to leave mana up for Instants and/or I don't react quickly enough when I do leave the mana up. I think I'm starting to conquer that one, though, because when my husband and I were playing some Theros pack wars, he pumped a creature with an instant and I countered by pumping mine as well with a different Instant. They still ended up killing each other, which made me sad, but at least I made him lose it.
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 28 Sep 2013, 17:38

Trisha Lynn wrote:My bad habit is that I forget to leave mana up for Instants and/or I don't react quickly enough when I do leave the mana up. I think I'm starting to conquer that one, though, because when my husband and I were playing some Theros pack wars, he pumped a creature with an instant and I countered by pumping mine as well with a different Instant. They still ended up killing each other, which made me sad, but at least I made him lose it.

I find that I have an easier time doing this in electronic magic, but in paper magic I have a bad habit of leaving mana up for an instant and then forgetting to actually USE said instant when a situation I need it for pops up.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
ThyLordQ
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby ThyLordQ » 28 Sep 2013, 17:57

I am super bad about remembering to trigger or use my artifacts when I put them on the field.
So many times during M14 draft, I have had a Vial of Poison and the mana to use it, and a chump to block, and I'd just sigh and go "Well, looks like I take 8 here."

And then immediately face palm when I reexamined my side of the battlefield.

I note that not once has an opponent ever mentioned that I had it. Not, I think, out of malevolence, but more out of a state of ignorance, because really, who plays Vial of Poison?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 Sep 2013, 18:02

ThyLordQ wrote:I am super bad about remembering to trigger or use my artifacts when I put them on the field.
So many times during M14 draft, I have had a Vial of Poison and the mana to use it, and a chump to block, and I'd just sigh and go "Well, looks like I take 8 here."

And then immediately face palm when I reexamined my side of the battlefield.

I note that not once has an opponent ever mentioned that I had it. Not, I think, out of malevolence, but more out of a state of ignorance, because really, who plays Vial of Poison?

To be fair, reminding you that you have the vial is really a bad play. I mean... it sounds dickish, but at the same time it's not up to them to tell you how to play.

A bad habit I have is assuming I know what cards do. It leads to mistakes like what happened at the prerelease. I bestowed the back emissary, and said that he had to be blocked by two or more creatures. Cause I thought he DID have that ability (that's the red one's ability, for the record). We didn't realize until the game was done that I was wrong.
ThyLordQ
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

Postby ThyLordQ » 28 Sep 2013, 18:15

Not dickish at all! I wouldn't expect them to remind me.
I should have rephrased that, though, because more what I meant is, after I'd hit myself for forgetting that I had it, they'd go "Wait, what?"

Not that it would matter because we'd both forget by the time I could use it again.

The misremembering card functions has happened lots of times to me too. Enough that I now make a very serious effort to read the card every time I cast it. Even if it was just bounced back to my hand.
Which is probably overkill, but better safe than sacked.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 29 Sep 2013, 15:27

Multiple times last night I cast Boon Satyr in my main phase. Typically because I was deciding between him and something else which I would have cast then.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Cmeej
First Video: Friday Nights Commander

Postby Cmeej » 29 Sep 2013, 16:23

I attack with creatures that are easily destroyed by the opponent, usually early in the morning during events :P
What she order? Fish fillet.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 24 Oct 2013, 20:44

I tend to overthink things, stick to one plan, and never move from the plan, no matter what the opponent does. I tend to lose a lot because I fail to improvise.

I also put lands in front of creatures, a trait I learned from when I learned how to play.
Credit to Foxmar
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 26 Oct 2013, 10:43

I'm actually pretty lazy when reading cards for the first time. Usually I only know what a card does when I've lost to it.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”