Recently built a Two Person cube

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
nubrain
First Video: Unskipable #1

Recently built a Two Person cube

Postby nubrain » 12 Aug 2013, 15:34

My local play group consists of only two people really, me and my best friend though her brother will play on occasion but we all know you can't do a standard draft with only 3 people.

we have done the occasional Winston Draft but always felt that the cost of three packs was not worth the enjoyment we got out of that drafting style. but if we could draft without having to pay for the packs each time it was a lot better. so we decided that we'd build a cube for Winston Drafts. Just using cards we had around it was a lot harder than we thought and it didn't go as planed as first we thought we'd start with a 100 card pool to make it easier to make a workable deck since we had no idea if this cube was even playable or not.

In the end restricting the cube to just 100 cards didn't work as that would be 20 per color and no fixing so in the end we wound up with around 190 odd cards that we take 100 randomly from and then do a Winston draft like normal.

I don't know if anyone else has ever tried anything like this and has any pointers or is interested in doing something like this as well. I can post the cube list if anyone wants it though most of the cards were pick and balanced based on what we had on hand.

It's been a challenge for sure and we've spent over a week in our free time working on it. I'm sure that there are other people out there that only have 1 or 2 other people that you have in the area that you can play magic with and wouldn't mind having a 2 person drafting cube to mix things up a bit.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”