The Magic Venting Thread

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Re: The Magic Venting Thread

Postby Lycodrake » 09 Nov 2015, 14:34

Jace, Vryn's Prodigy//Jace, Telepath Unbound's price is unhealthy for Standard. I forget the source, but I read an article how Jace's Dark Jeskai deck is comparatively much more expensive than Caw-Blade was from original fetchland Zendikar.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 09 Nov 2015, 14:38

It's not even so much Jace. Not on his own.

It's the dominance of Jace, PLUS the sidekick Gideon cost, PLUS the cost of land.

I'm actually choosing to abstain from Standard right now until at least Shadows and maybe until the set after that.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 17 Jan 2016, 23:05

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but...

I am so sick of people expecting me to let them take back plays after something has changed/the board state has advanced. Even at prerelease when not everyone knows all the cards, I feel it is unreasonable to expect your opponent to let you change your mind after you've seen something new.

E.g:

Player A and Player N are playing in a one-on-one game. Player A attacks with a creature. Player N makes a block. Player A casts a combat trick. Player N says "oh, well, I don't block then".

Players A and B are playing two-headed giant against players X and Y. Player A casts a creature. Player B then casts a draw spell. Player A looks at the cards Player B drew, then says, "since you have that now, I'll play this different creature instead".

Players A and B are playing two-headed giant against Players X and Y. Player A casts a draw spell. Player B looks at the cards Player A drew and says, "Since you drew a red spell, you should tap your mana differently for the draw spell so you have Mountains up."

All of these are things that I have seen at prereleases (at Oath and in the past) and I just find it so frustrating.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 18 Jan 2016, 00:09

I agree, and don't like it when people take back big stuff like that. If you accidentally tap your mana wrong and realize it quickly, or miss a trigger, sure. New cards and stuff happens. But you can't change your mind based on new information.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 18 Jan 2016, 01:27

Yes. If, by contrast, Player A had cast the draw spell and then before it resolved, either had realized themselves or Player B had mentioned that they should tap their mana differently, it wouldn't really be an issue. It's totally different to doing it after you've seen what you drew. Same with changing what creature you cast earlier in the turn based on what you/your opponent drew off a draw spell.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 18 Jan 2016, 03:04

Right. It's one thing if the thing they missed was just due to not knowing the cards... like not noticing that a creature already on the board has first strike, or some sort of activated ability or whatnot. That, I typically don't mind people taking back at a prerelease.

But it's quite another if it's something like a combat trick, or the results of a draw spell, something which you'd expect to be a surprise even if it's not the prere.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Jan 2016, 15:23

Regarding spells, if the thing is on the stack, I say it's fine to go back like that. If it's already resolved, no way!

Regarding the blocks, you've already declared. Combat tricks are a thing. Deal with it.

If you see this happening, call a judge ASAP.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 22 Jan 2016, 05:44

I'm not as worried about the price of Standard given the current starting prices of cards from OGW and the average price on cards other than Jace and Ugin, but I still feel wary about it all.
Yes, I know Jace and Ugin are being used in other formats, but...I don't know.
I mean, I started with Theros-M15-Tarkir and don't remember some of how the pricing was for Tier 1 decks then, but... ^^;
KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 01 Feb 2016, 12:12

Duckay wrote:Possibly an unpopular opinion, but...

I am so sick of people expecting me to let them take back plays after something has changed/the board state has advanced. Even at prerelease when not everyone knows all the cards, I feel it is unreasonable to expect your opponent to let you change your mind after you've seen something new.

E.g:

Player A and Player N are playing in a one-on-one game. Player A attacks with a creature. Player N makes a block. Player A casts a combat trick. Player N says "oh, well, I don't block then".

Players A and B are playing two-headed giant against players X and Y. Player A casts a creature. Player B then casts a draw spell. Player A looks at the cards Player B drew, then says, "since you have that now, I'll play this different creature instead".

Players A and B are playing two-headed giant against Players X and Y. Player A casts a draw spell. Player B looks at the cards Player A drew and says, "Since you drew a red spell, you should tap your mana differently for the draw spell so you have Mountains up."

All of these are things that I have seen at prereleases (at Oath and in the past) and I just find it so frustrating.

Yes definitely call a judge in those cases. Even at a prerelease, each of those situations are super illegal. If, at a prerelease, a spell is cast and the player immediately asks if they can take it back, tap their mana differently before the game has progressed in any meaningful way, then that's one thing. After things have happened though, that's definitely not ok and people shouldn't be upset at you. They need to grow up and deal with what's happened.

And even asking for a take back for anything other than at a prerelease is a bit much.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 01 Feb 2016, 13:00

KeiranLC wrote:And even asking for a take back for anything other than at a prerelease is a bit much.
I disagree. I personally would allow any take-backs at any level, in any game, as long as phases or steps hadn't changed, the board state hadn't changed, and the stack hadn't changed.

For example:

"I attack with my flier... *before opponent responds* Oh wait, I forgot your guy had Reach. Can I take that back?" I'd allow that, personally, at any level.

"I attack with my flier. Go." *opponent blocks with Reach creature* "I forgot your guy had Reach. Can I take that back?" I would not allow that, personally.

KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 01 Feb 2016, 19:06

Ah fair enough. I retract that part of my statement. (ironically enough, in response to your reaction :D )
ThePasserby
First Video: Mercenary Solutions

Postby ThePasserby » 07 Feb 2016, 02:13

Whelp, these new modern Eldrazi decks and the price hikes really are putting a crimp in my style...I keep missing the important dates and I miss the bandwagons. :P

I best try and finish my playset of bloodstained mire and get some more shocks before things go crazier.

Who here thinks modern Eldrazi decks might get hit with a banhammer later? Like, been talking it over with my local meta, it seems like the new Amulet Bloom from what I have heard.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 07 Feb 2016, 06:00

It seems worse than Bloom, it is 75% of the top 8 and if no deck emerges to keep it in check soon i think question is if it is banned in April or June and what is being banned
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
ThePasserby

Postby ThePasserby » 07 Feb 2016, 14:35

Jenelmo wrote:It seems worse than Bloom, it is 75% of the top 8 and if no deck emerges to keep it in check soon i think question is if it is banned in April or June and what is being banned

How can you keep it in check? It seems too fast. Like by the time you get out a Blood Moon, they probably have lethal on the board. And they seem resilient to that sort of thing, they just need to put down a Waste and grind you out.

And their creatures are full of value. Turn 2 Thought Knot to get rid of your threat. Then a Reality Smasher that you can't deal with. The Eldrazi Mimics are 5/5s.

It's a turn 2 format sort of deck.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. -Mark Twain
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 07 Feb 2016, 17:54

It seems like there are a couple points of attack. If you can hand attack it makes it harder for them to put their early combo together and without eye of ugin they don't have many ways to draw extra cards, so ghost quarter and such is powerful. The deck seems weak to fliers. So maybe a delver strat that aggressively trades cards early and has ways to reload and win the long game. The mimics are just pikers before upgrade so a pyroclasm or electrickery could be good for keeping them and scions under control. The question is whether you can design a deck that beats it that beats anything else well

The sad thing is they didn't print any strong anti eldrazi cards in the new block. Something like a melira that punishes eldrazi strats
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 08 Feb 2016, 06:45

I don't know if this is necessarily the best place to put this, but:

So some cards from Shadows Over Innistrad were leaked. That's crappy, especially given the whole debacle over Oath leaks. But the worst part? The cards were leaked because they were up for sale on eBay.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Feb 2016, 16:43

That pisses me off, too... VENT!

Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 10 Feb 2016, 03:37

WotC, please ban Jace, Vryn's Prodigy. Please. It is my humble, honest opinion that he's made Standard Tier 1 lists too pricy. And SOI looks like it will compound the problem exponentially. gib Jace ban plox
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 11 Feb 2016, 12:05

They are not going to ban a card because of price, and for them to an a card in Standard it needs to be very dominance, and event attendance needs to be falling by alot because of it.
I don't play standard so don't know if this is the case, but in the last decade it has happened once
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 20 Feb 2016, 09:19

So last nights Commander night was one of the worst I've had in a while. After several games of not being allowed to do anything because of the resident control player, I decide to play my mono-black Pox deck. It was the only deck I had that could keep up with my opponents decks (Jenara counters/ Voltron, Tarial Reanimator and the Red/White precon with Gisella as commander). The games gets a few turns in and I cast Sadistic Sacrament kicked and rolled a dice to see who it targeted. I ended up tagreting Tarial, who belonged to the control player. He instantly started bitching about how it's an unfun card and he wanted it banned under house rules. This is after he wipes everyone out in the first game with a Soulfire Grand Master deck that for some reason no-one would agree with me that it wouldn't be right to use it as a general. The game goes on a little longer and every one concedes out because my deck is actually working. The Tarial player becomes the whiniest hypocrite there is. He doesn't seem to realise that 9 out of the 10 games he plays in a miserable for everyone but him. He's a massive ass, and yet it seems to be only me that has the major problem with him for this. I( can't eve play the decks I want to play because he complains every single time I do. I basically can't play my Goblins deck Because he'll just get out his Fog deck and make Krenko useless.

Anyway, I think I'm just rambling at this point but it's gotten to the point that I'm either going to have to stop playing the game or just accept that I'm not allowed to actually have fun while playing it, because for some reason that's wrong.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 20 Feb 2016, 13:27

Last night at FNM, my store had its monthly Chaos Draft. This time, first place got a Flooded Strand Expedition. I make it to round 4 at 3-0, so if I can just win one more match, I at worst have a 50/50 chance of getting first place. So my deck, which up to this point has performed reasonably well, gives me 3 lands game one (all from my opening hand) and 4 lands game two (one of which I had scryed top after mulling to 6 and keeping 2 lands in hand). I don't mind losing games of Magic, but I absolutely loathe losing games of Magic where I don't get to play relevant spells.
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
ThePasserby

Postby ThePasserby » 21 Feb 2016, 15:58

Eldrazi in Modern, I have felt its sting. The only time I won, is when they drew nothing but lands. I keep getting Mimiced and Thought Knot out. T_T
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 22 Feb 2016, 02:29

I feel like they might ban the Eldrazi lands soon. Those lands are reasonable if you only get to use them on cards of CMC 7 or more. If you get to make Eldrazi Mimic cheaper... that's just not okay.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 25 Feb 2016, 16:59

So I have a major problem. I want to play Magic, but the experience has become so miserable due to two people that it's just no fun whatsoever. Any deck I build is either to weak to stand a chance (and I seem to be the main target in any given game I play, even if I'm not winning) or powerful enough that I get bitched and moaned at for playing something that isn't fun for other people, which is pretty hypocritical considering one of those two people builds deck specifically to screw over my decks, or just one person in particular. I'm not even allowed to play my favourite deck any more because of this whole problem. I want to try and have a fun time, but these people make it impossible, and if I want to play magic, I have to play games with them due to a low number of players. Anyone know what I can do? Please don't say MTGO. I couldn't afford it.
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 25 Feb 2016, 18:03

RadioshackRaider wrote:So I have a major problem. I want to play Magic, but the experience has become so miserable due to two people that it's just no fun whatsoever. Any deck I build is either to weak to stand a chance (and I seem to be the main target in any given game I play, even if I'm not winning) or powerful enough that I get bitched and moaned at for playing something that isn't fun for other people, which is pretty hypocritical considering one of those two people builds deck specifically to screw over my decks, or just one person in particular. I'm not even allowed to play my favourite deck any more because of this whole problem. I want to try and have a fun time, but these people make it impossible, and if I want to play magic, I have to play games with them due to a low number of players. Anyone know what I can do? Please don't say MTGO. I couldn't afford it.

That sucks :(

I would say if you can't play with other people, then maybe try a change of format? If you can get them to play Pauper, you can at least keep your costs down, or maybe try a switch to something like Archenemy where them opposing you is built into the format. It sounds like just pressing on ahead would be a frustrating experience.

Best wishes and good luck to you.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”