What sort of Power curve?

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Omega696
First Video: Checpoint

What sort of Power curve?

Postby Omega696 » 22 Feb 2014, 12:11

Hello all,

Ok I'm starting to put together, one of many iterations of, what could be called a red green Wolf/Werewolf/Wolfir deck for modern play... well really anything not standard. I have pretty much all the Werewolves in red and green and the wolves and Wolfir or access to them. Putting together a commander deck out of the with Xenagos as commander was ok.

The issue I'm having is what sort of weighting should I used for the creatures, I know lighter towards the higher mana cost and heavier on the lower costs, but what sort of ratio would be good. I have no issue running a larger deck to give it more options, like one version of the deck using Garruk with his transformation ability, and another with another Xenagos.
Also with a red/green deck is it better to weight more creatures to spells that other decks?

I also have the option of running purely green or red or just wolves or werewolves so there is a lot of options for different flavors of deck build.

I'm also putting together a red Dragon deck, it is based of the Knights and Dragons deck, so I have a template to work from on that, going of on my own with the Wolves so any guidance from more experienced players would be great.
I tap my Mana and Summon the all powerful Slifer the Sky Dragon!

... What do you mean I can't... Oh right MTG...

Fine, in that case, I tap my Mana... Royal Flush!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: What sort of Power curve?

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Feb 2014, 12:36

Unless you're doing Commander, I'd put a higher weight on 2, 3, and 4, with highest value on 3. 1-drops aren't essential, but they do help keep you from scrubbing out early. They're also good for a little "extra" later in the game as chump blockers or if they have special abilities. 5-drops and higher are starting to get into mana costs that you're going to need either ramp to get early, or are mid-to-late-game stuff, where your opponent has usually already stabilized in some way. These are cards that, if picked up in your opening hand, are going to be dead cards for a good while.

2-drops are the good early hitters, who can do some work, but don't use anything that you can't afford to lose after a few turns. 3-drops should be where you really invest just to get guys out on the table. 4-drops and higher are usually your "big push" creatures that help break any deadlocks and stalling. 4-drops and higher also have a higher chance of an opponent saving a removal spell for them, though.

Also, you can consider during your deck-building this type of question: Should I invest in this 5-drop when I can get both a 2-drop and a 3-drop out with the same mana? It depends on the effects, and sometimes the answer is yes, while other times it is no.

Red and green are probably the best colors for ramp, though, so you should be aggressive with your creatures and try to get as many on the field as possible as quickly as possible.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Omega696
First Video: Checpoint

Re: What sort of Power curve?

Postby Omega696 » 23 Feb 2014, 09:14

Cool, that's helpful.
It's trying to keep the right balance of power weights that throws me off at times. I've built Yu-gi-oh decks and the basic ideas are the same, but the summoning and mana mechanics are different enough that getting used to them to start with when constructing is enough to make me look for advice for players who know better.
I tap my Mana and Summon the all powerful Slifer the Sky Dragon!

... What do you mean I can't... Oh right MTG...

Fine, in that case, I tap my Mana... Royal Flush!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”