Magic: The Gathering Online

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Re: Magic: The Gathering Online

Postby ArchieO » 16 Apr 2014, 23:39

Welcome to the Dark Side of MTGO, honestly though those guys are idiots, the same sort of people who bring turn 3 combo decks to the table in the commander 4 mans, block em' and move on, most people on MTGO are not arseholes
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Apr 2014, 14:32

Unless victory is certain on their part, I always play it out, if there are no stakes.

Because you never know when this type of thing could happen.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 15 Jun 2014, 02:17

Just finished my second New Player draft, and got crushed by a guy that had some strange looking lands. What's the deal? They looked like tokens of lands rather than basic versions. He also sent a message (I assume it was just "gg" or something), but I couldn't get a chat window open. It's not a deal-breaker; it's just odd.

Well, at least I prized out due to players dropping out after Round 1. Given my track record trend, I'll be winning the next one.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Jun 2014, 05:54

Those might've been the Unhinged lands they're using during Vintage Masters. Or the guy could've used the V3 draft land swap trick.

Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 15 Jun 2014, 06:54

Looking it up, they were definitely the Unhinged lands. So what's the story? Does anyone have access to those, or should this player maybe not have been in a New Player draft?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Jun 2014, 07:36

What happens in the V3 client is that you use the lands from the first draft you did for your entire session, until you close the program. So this person did a Vintage Masters draft as his first draft, then later joined the New Player draft. You can join a New Player draft whenever you have the right product. You can't get any more, but you can save it for later. I joined a New Player draft several months after I started.

Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Jun 2014, 07:37

You can also do it manually. In the current client you can go into the image files and edit them. You can take the image of any land you like and rename it.

So your opponent could easily have renamed Unhinged land as M14 so when the client pulled up the image it displayed the "wrong" one. It doesnt effect play and it doesnt change what is in your collection so if you change the art and try to sell to a bot they wouldnt pay you a ticket each because it is still in the code as a M14 basic.

Its just something people do to entertain themselves which is fine. The fact that the person had it done implies that they are a more experienced player playing in the new player area.

There are two reasons for that to happen, 1 to try to shark packs off unsuspecting new players, or two because then 10 drafts 20 matches cost you $10 instead of much more.

I do that myself so I can get some cheap games in, if I win more than 4 packs on the account I scoop up if I am going to win more so the other player gets the pack.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 17 Jun 2014, 18:05

A little late to the thread, but I'm Atifexe on MTGO. My collection's a bit limited so far, and I'd be down for some casual games now and then.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Jun 2014, 16:15

you could build up your collection by fan drafting with us,

Saturday 6PM PST 9PM EST Sunday 2AM BST 11AM AEST

http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=22488
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 21 Jun 2014, 15:37

I appreciate the suggestion, Lord Hosk! Unfortunately, I can't afford that at the moment, and I hope that I won't have to sit out too many.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 21 Jun 2014, 20:20

How about

MTGOAcademyQuizBot, once a week answer a reletivly easy MTG question get 4 free cards. (All commons and some uncommons)

FreeCardBot one time 64 free cards (mostly old stuff, some stuff that is standard reprints)

MTGOtradersFreebot 64 free cards once every 30 days. (all commons all day)

[–]Graham_LRR
Atifexe

Postby Atifexe » 21 Jun 2014, 21:12

I was aware of the Quizbot. First time I got the question right, but timed out in selecting the cards, so got nothing. Second time I got the question wrong. =P Haven't been very successful there yet.

Those other two, I wasn't aware of. Thank you for the tips!
Tetlanesh
First Video: unskipable

Postby Tetlanesh » 29 Jun 2014, 01:13

My tag is Tetlanesh. Just started yesterday, feel free to add me to friends.

So how those free card bots works? Do you add them as friends and thats all? Or do you have to do something in mgo client or on their webpage or something?

Also, what is the best place to check card values in maginc online? Values in tickets i mean, not dolars. So far my google-foo found me goldfish but im not sure if prices there are in any way comparable to actual value when trading
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 29 Jun 2014, 02:42

Generally, you initiate a trade with one of the free card bots and it will tell you what you have to do in chat.

I generally use MTGOAcademy to figure out prices. You can even make bulk orders through their website that they'll then deliver to you in client during their business hours. It's really neat, and I feel like they prices aren't bad
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 29 Jun 2014, 03:02

I usually use goldfish for a ballpark guess while drafting ("is this card worth taking just for value?") but I don't have any real reason for it; I started using it and it's quick and works for me. When it comes to actually selling I sort of try a couple of different bots for a price I'm happy with. Some bots will give you significantly different prices for cards.
Tetlanesh

Postby Tetlanesh » 29 Jun 2014, 03:22

Lurkon wrote:Generally, you initiate a trade with one of the free card bots and it will tell you what you have to do in chat.

I generally use MTGOAcademy to figure out prices. You can even make bulk orders through their website that they'll then deliver to you in client during their business hours. It's really neat, and I feel like they prices aren't bad

Thanks for reply, but while I can find both: FreCardbot and MTGOTraderfreebot when I try to add Quizbot or MTGOAcademyQuizBot it says that this player is not in the system. What is the correct name for that one?

Also when I try to Trade with MTGOTradersFreeBot it just keep declining. Is it time based (as in available in specific time windows or something?)

Also MTGOAcademy seems to be doing money only trade where as I anderstand Tickets are comonly used as value for cards in trading within the MGO client. Can I assume that 1 tix = !$ and can use it safely when comparing prices or is the Ticket value for cards inflated due to it being used for more than just cards buying but also tournamnet entry?
Last edited by Tetlanesh on 29 Jun 2014, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 29 Jun 2014, 03:23

Tetlanesh wrote:
Lurkon wrote:Generally, you initiate a trade with one of the free card bots and it will tell you what you have to do in chat.

Thanks for reply, but while I can find both: FreCardbot and MTGOTraderfreebot when I try to add Quizbot or MTGOAcademyQuizBot it says that this player is not in the system. What is the correct name for that one?

Also when I try to Trade with MTGOTradersFreeBot it just keep declining. Is it time based (as in available in specific time windows or something?)

If it is declining trades with you, it is probably trading with someone else. Look in the trade description to see if it says BUSY or OPEN before trying to trade with it. Those bots are generally very popular, so it can be difficult to catch them when they are free.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Jun 2014, 04:54

I think it's just AcademyQuizBot

Tetlanesh

Postby Tetlanesh » 29 Jun 2014, 09:42

AdmiralMemo wrote:I think it's just AcademyQuizBot

Turns out is Academy_QuizBot
rucdoc
First Video: unknown

Postby rucdoc » 13 Jul 2014, 05:49

Just to let everyone know, or remind everyone if you missed it. as a thank you to everyone Wizards is giving everyone who has logged into mtgo since 2008 35 phantom points and 1 of each of the prerelease emblems, these can be used to enter a m15 prerelease sealed event, or kept and used for other things like Cube. Link: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2014-06-26
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 30 Jul 2014, 22:23

So how would one go about joining the Runners clan? There are instructions but they cut off at "To join, g" so it's a little tricky. :P
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 31 Jul 2014, 07:44

Well, you have to get the attention of someone who comes online maybe once a year, for starters...

Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 19 Aug 2014, 10:43

So, I noticed I had a pile of phantom points so I decided to start playing Phantom Sealed on MTGO and man... has anyone else had the experience of people surrendering REALLY easily in these events?

I've had opponents scoop to a stab wound while they were still at 16 life with a comparable board presence.

I'm just constantly shocked at how quickly people are surrendering in an event where literally the only reason to enter is because you want to play since there's no ability to get cards or any reward beyond points that can only be used to play again
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 19 Aug 2014, 16:43

They think they're practising, but they're the same people who think sealed is all luck. So rather than try to make the best of a bad pool they blame their pool and re-queue. Guess what, hypothetical opponent? You're going to get bad pools at real events too. You want to be the next Ben Stark? You know what he's not doing? Hanging with his friends trading bad beat stories.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”