The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

Postby Utilitarian » 17 Apr 2014, 08:06

Volafortis wrote:Hardly. Revoke Existence hits artifacts, this doesn't. When you consider that cards like Erase exist (in magic, not in standard), Diecide doesn't seem really insane at all outside of standard. It is one hell of a god-hoser though, and will almost certainly see some sideboard play, since the gods have proven to be pretty decent.

And, the flavor, name, and art are all fantastic, of course.

name me a single relevant artifact in standard right now that is not also an enchantment -_^
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 17 Apr 2014, 08:38

Elixir of Immortality? (Though, good luck trying to exile it when it sacs in response)
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 17 Apr 2014, 09:05

ZePancakes wrote:Elixir of Immortality? (Though, good luck trying to exile it when it sacs in response)

True on both counts.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 17 Apr 2014, 09:08

I just realized the new Oblivion Ring won't allow you to do this. I am sad now...
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 17 Apr 2014, 10:10

Yeah they are fixing that trick and printing new fixed versions of old cards like Banishing Light is the new O-Ring and Brain Maggot is a fixed Mesmeric Fiend
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 17 Apr 2014, 10:47

how does that happen? I don't know the cards well enough to follow exactly what was happening
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 17 Apr 2014, 11:18

Utilitarian wrote:
Volafortis wrote:Hardly. Revoke Existence hits artifacts, this doesn't. When you consider that cards like Erase exist (in magic, not in standard), Diecide doesn't seem really insane at all outside of standard. It is one hell of a god-hoser though, and will almost certainly see some sideboard play, since the gods have proven to be pretty decent.

name me a single relevant artifact in standard right now that is not also an enchantment -_^

Godsend potentially?
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 17 Apr 2014, 11:23

Fair enough. To be honest I thought Godsend was also an enchantment. Got thrown off by the coloured mana cost.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 17 Apr 2014, 12:50

iamafish wrote:how does that happen? I don't know the cards well enough to follow exactly what was happening

O-ring has to hit a nonland permanent.

LSV makes it so that he had only one target: the O-ring that was already in play. Which was on another O-ring, so when that O-ring went the other came back and triggered, but it's only target was the other O-ring, ad infinitum.

It HAS to choose a target for the ability (it's not a "you may") so if one of your own permanents is the only legal target, away you go.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 17 Apr 2014, 14:42

Utilitarian wrote:

You see, I only play Modern and Legacy, so that's where the problem lies. Also, yeah, potentially Godsend.

Also, I did say Deicide seems good for Standard.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 17 Apr 2014, 18:11

ZePancakes wrote:Elixir of Immortality? (Though, good luck trying to exile it when it sacs in response)
You can, however, kill/exile the Elixir in response to them using it, because it doesn't sac or exile or shuffle itself in until the ability resolves (due to the placement of the colon).

iamafish wrote:how does that happen? I don't know the cards well enough to follow exactly what was happening

O-ring has 2 triggered abilities.
When it enters the battlefield, remove a permenant.
When it leaves, return the thing from the first ability.

If you play it, the first ability triggers, and goes on the stack.
Then, before that resolves, you sacrifice it (somehow), which will put the second ability on the stack.
The second ability resolves, returning the thing to play, except it can't because the first thing hasn't happened yet.
The first ability resolves, removing the thing from play.
Since the second one has already happened, there's no way to get the thing back.

The new wording is only one trigger with a duration ("until Banishing Light leaves"). If the duration of an ability is over before it would resolve (so if it's gone before it exiles something) the ability never happens.

The new card is also worded so you can only target your opponent's things, which prevents looping o-rings like LSV did (unless you have 3 people playing, and no other non-land permanents in play.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 17 Apr 2014, 20:41

Is it just me or did Green get fucked on JOU? Meanwhile Black still looks super strong.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Apr 2014, 21:46

While it doesn't look particularly amazing, I want to draft and play Fleetfeather Cockatrice for some reason.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 17 Apr 2014, 22:04

I don't want to think Green got jipped. I was planning on playing it at the Prerelease. And I love Arbor of Colossus, and the Aspect of Badger deck. I don't wanna think that I have to change gears. I mean, I'm usually red, but I don't think monored is viable? It might be, but it doesn't seem as strong as it could be. So, I may end up going monoblack.
Credit to Foxmar
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 17 Apr 2014, 23:16

I've been playing black devotion since basically the beginning of Theros. Journey makes me want to switch gears into black aggro. Just can't abandon black right now.

I still want to be white at the prerelease though, because I love white in limited and I don't see that changing too much.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Apr 2014, 06:57

Black looks pretty meh honestly. They did get one really good removal spell, and a couple nice uncommons. But other than that... it just seems poor overall.

White seems fine. It's not the greatest, and there's a lot of really eh effects. But it has enough decent bodies that it'll at least be doing things.

Blue seems pretty good. A good amount of fliers, some decent tempo things, and then pure junk. But overall, it feels like it's adding a lot to an already strong color.

Red is also solid. There's a good amount of good cards and little garbage. Decent burn, solid creatures, and good effects make me think that it got more of what it needed in this set.

Frankly, green seems like the strongest color though. There's a lot of good effects and very little (of really any) junk in it. There are a lot of good effects for early, mid, AND late-game. Which isn't normal for green, which just normally gets big dudes. I think it's honestly think it might be the best color here.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 18 Apr 2014, 08:47

I'm excited about another hexproof creature with a semi-relevant body. I think i might make some kind of selesnya hexproof deck for standard.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 18 Apr 2014, 15:51

Kapol wrote:Black looks pretty meh honestly. They did get one really good removal spell, and a couple nice uncommons. But other than that... it just seems poor overall.

For limited? I can't say I'm excited. I'm keen to give Master of the Feast a go in mono-black aggro in standard, though.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 18 Apr 2014, 18:56

Duckay wrote:
Kapol wrote:Black looks pretty meh honestly. They did get one really good removal spell, and a couple nice uncommons. But other than that... it just seems poor overall.

For limited? I can't say I'm excited. I'm keen to give Master of the Feast a go in mono-black aggro in standard, though.

Right, I was talking for limited, and restricted it to entirely commons and uncommons. Those are the things that make up most of your pool after all. Every color has a number of solid additions coming to them.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 18 Apr 2014, 21:19

So I guess Reprisal is going to be Modern-legal now.
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 19 Apr 2014, 05:36

I hope that if I play against anybody playing reprisal that the use a Alliances version as the art on those are wonderfully oldschool
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 19 Apr 2014, 09:25

Resprisal is certainly going to make heroic strategies a little more risky in draft, I'll say that.
Rose_Nightshade
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Rose_Nightshade » 23 Apr 2014, 07:57

So now that all the cards have been spoiled, I'm curious what other people's opinions are about which color seems strongest in Nyx, given that it will very most likely be combo-ed with Born and Theros when played. (Almost certainly if you're drafting)

White, Green and Blue look pretty darn good to me. I love the hydras!
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 23 Apr 2014, 09:52

I would say it's less about the individual colors and more about the color combinations. WU and WR are both very, very strong. In fact, White and anything seems pretty nasty. UR not so much, UG has some dynamite potential given a few key cards. Black merrily adds removal to any color it combos with but seems a little weaker on its own (especially with only one pack to pull a Gary). GR monstrosity seems to be back in the game a little more, though I worry that the WR and WU aggro decks will wipe it out a little too often.

Honestly the only combinations that I find underwhelming are UR and BR, and even then I bet you could put together something playable with a little luck. It seems to be a very well balanced set in the abstract, but we'll see how it plays.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 23 Apr 2014, 20:19

Honestly, I think U/G is still going to be the strongest combination. The big, powerful creatures with the control blue supplies leads to a deadly combo.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”