The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

Postby Utilitarian » 11 Apr 2014, 08:18

Might consider the new City of Brass in my decks that run Courser of Kruphix. The incidental lifegain from land drops ought to help offset the pain.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
RedNightmare
First Video: The Job

Postby RedNightmare » 11 Apr 2014, 08:51

You can't recur Worst Nightmares, because it exiles itself after use.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 11 Apr 2014, 10:09

RedNightmare wrote:You can't recur Worst Nightmares, because it exiles itself after use.

Panoptic Mirror. In a 1v1 match, you end up playing against yourself.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 11 Apr 2014, 12:08

I want to live in the world where you encode an 8 mana sorcery on a 5 mana card that's banned in Commander.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 11 Apr 2014, 12:12

Utilitarian wrote:I want to live in the world where you encode an 8 mana sorcery on a 5 mana card that's banned in Commander.

I never said it had to be in Commander. I was actually thinking more of playing it in a Modern deck that's made just to stall until you get the combo going.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 11 Apr 2014, 12:13

Maybe Pull from Eternity on Isochron Scepter, and Archaeomancer soul-bonded to Deadeye Navigator. 11 mana, I control each of your turns.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 11 Apr 2014, 12:17

madAlric wrote:Maybe Pull from Eternity on Isochron Scepter, and Archaeomancer soul-bonded to Deadeye Navigator. 11 mana, I control each of your turns.

Esper Control at its finest.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 11 Apr 2014, 12:18

yep. Takes 12 mana to set up (or 21 if I want to Mind-Slaver your turn that turn), but locks you out of the game forevermore.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 12 Apr 2014, 12:04

Athreos being only a 3-drop seems absolutely incredible considering his ability. I will gladly force WB in Sealed or Draft for him.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 12 Apr 2014, 13:44

Athreos could actually work really well with Undying. Either your creature comes back stronger, or you cast it again next turn.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 12 Apr 2014, 13:59

Oh man, build a deck with Atheros, Kitchen Finks, Geralf's Messenger, and Aether Vial, since everything's a 3-drop. Watch the opponent cry trying to deal with your board, and it'll be stupid easy turning Atheros on.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 12 Apr 2014, 14:49

A guy tried to convince me to include Gelatinous Genesis in my Karametra EDH. I laughed, but Broodmother Hydra has my interest. A 7/7 for 6 that does that when you monstrous him? Sold!

Athreos is cool, too.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 12 Apr 2014, 18:51

I could see Gelatinous Genesis going in a Kruphix Commander deck pretty easy. And Hydra Broodmaster, since when he hits Monstrous, he does that, too. Actually, a splash-of-blue Green Mana deck sounds really fun with some of these new additions.
Credit to Foxmar
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 13 Apr 2014, 16:51

Suddenly realised that polymorphous rush comes in whilst Biovisionary is still in standard. 7 mana to win the game seems really quite reasonable with the way Simic colours have been rewarded in this block!
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 Apr 2014, 16:53

Myrph wrote:Suddenly realised that polymorphous rush comes in whilst Biovisionary is still in standard. 7 mana to win the game seems really quite reasonable with the way Simic colours have been rewarded in this block!

Honestly, I find it to be super disappointing. I much prefer Infinite Reflection.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 13 Apr 2014, 18:46

Too slow. I played a Biovisionary deck a while back, but you need instant speed copy because it helps you protect your Biovisionary (sort of). The main problem with Rush is that it doesn't make tokens. Tokens mean you can use things with Populate to help, like Druid's Deliverance.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 13 Apr 2014, 21:08

korvys wrote:Too slow. I played a Biovisionary deck a while back, but you need instant speed copy because it helps you protect your Biovisionary (sort of). The main problem with Rush is that it doesn't make tokens. Tokens mean you can use things with Populate to help, like Druid's Deliverance.

I think the point of biovisionary/Polymorphus is that you win the game when you cast Polymorphus. It doesn't need to make anything, you play out whatever else you want to keep the game going until you can untap with a biovisionary, ANY three other creatures, rush and 7 mana.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Apr 2014, 21:19

And then they bounce/destroy the Biovisionary in response.

EDIT: I know with Infinite Reflection, what I did was play all low-drop creatures. The only thing higher than 2 CMC was Biovisionary, Infinite Reflection, and a couple Worldspine Wurms for funsies. I also was on the defender-ramp plan with Axebane and other mana generators/grabbers. The deck also had a really underrated 'clone me' character... Timberpack Wolf. Getting a 'pack' of 8/8 wolves was fun. Or a board of my opponent's best creature.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Apr 2014, 21:26

Also, we got another effect like it. Except this is red. It's 1R, with Strive 2R, where it puts a copy with haste in that gets exiled at the next end step. So there's that.

Also, a 3-drop 5/5 flier, because why not? It does let your opponent draw a card during your upkeep, but still... a 5/5 flier for 3 seems really good.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 13 Apr 2014, 21:31

Notion Thief combos pretty seriously with Master of the Feast. Turns your 5/5 flier for 3 with a downside into a 5/5 for 3 with an upside -_^

also anyone else MASSIVELY underwhelmed by Pharika? She's the only god without a passive ability, and her activated ability gives you what is at best an annoying creature while simultaniously massively nonbo-ing with reanimator and dredge decks who WANT stuff in their yard.

PLUS if you dare to eat something out of your opponent's yard THEY get the snake? It's just a slap in the face.
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 13 Apr 2014, 21:57

Kapol wrote:Also, we got another effect like it. Except this is red. It's 1R, with Strive 2R, where it puts a copy with haste in that gets exiled at the next end step. So there's that.

Also, a 3-drop 5/5 flier, because why not? It does let your opponent draw a card during your upkeep, but still... a 5/5 flier for 3 seems really good.

Works well with Fate Unraveler(s). While giving your opponent an extra card is a serious drawback, Black has some decent draw options and of course cheap discard in standard.

I think one could build a casual modern deck based on Master of the Feast, Fate Unraveler, Underworld Dreams, Whispering Madness (negates the card advantage and generates additional draws), discard effects, and Megrim/Liliana's Caress. If there's a decent black constellation card it could get in there given the number of enchantments in the deck. And Whispering madness might just be the thing to drop if there's a target player discards effect.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 13 Apr 2014, 23:20

Utilitarian wrote:Notion Thief combos pretty seriously with Master of the Feast. Turns your 5/5 flier for 3 with a downside into a 5/5 for 3 with an upside -_^

also anyone else MASSIVELY underwhelmed by Pharika? She's the only god without a passive ability, and her activated ability gives you what is at best an annoying creature while simultaniously massively nonbo-ing with reanimator and dredge decks who WANT stuff in their yard.

PLUS if you dare to eat something out of your opponent's yard THEY get the snake? It's just a slap in the face.

Yea, the demon is pretty strong. Seriously, I wonder if Wizards is just in love with black. They've gotten a lot of strong stuff, and they just keep getting more. As if a 3/3 flier for 3 with bestow and a slight drawback wasn't enough...

Honestly, I like Pharika more than Kruphix in standard, and here's why. She's a 5/5 for 3 if you can get the devotion. She's also in the most powerful color in the format right now. Her tokens also make excellent chump blockers. I think most everyone who's played Theros limited can attest to just how annoying a Sedge Scorpion can be.

But the big thing is that her tokens are also enchantments. There seems to be enough synergy with Theros block stuff to make it worth it. Every time she uses her ability, you get constellation triggers. If you go turn 2-3 her, turn 3-4 that Eidolon of Blossoms or whatever it's called, turn 4-5 Commune looking for a Whip of Erebos, get an activation of her ability, draw a card, have her at just over half devotion at least AND get a 1/1 blocker? Turn 5-6 get down whip and either commune again or just get another activation of her. It can get out of hand. And if you play Ajani's Chosen instead, it can just get kind of nutty.

She's a build-around card with some interesting aspects. I feel she's the weakest of the five gods overall, but I like her more than Kruphix in standard at least. I think she can at least do fun things. But, to be fair, I already had a junk Enchantments deck that she would have been right at home in. Might have to put it back together.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 14 Apr 2014, 00:28

Sooooo Pharika is just awful, I mean terrible, she literally reads as being a worse necrogensis as the creature's owner gets to put the snake in play and their are many, many, many reasons to traumatize yourself in Commander but making some 1/1 deathtouchers is not one of them. Gaaaah very disappointed.

I'm going to have to build her for my 15 god challenge, so it's likely this one will be a silly deck, I might run curse of death's hold as a bit of devotion and a way to make her ability a bit more palatable.

In other News, HOLY HELL Athreos, also known as 'Who do I want to be my Bitch today? As you get to chose the target you target one person the whole time and it is going to get to the point where they can't afford to pay 3 life a pop. I will grant that it can be an interesting political tool but this guy is very, very strong simply from the raw value he generates.

Other interesting titbits from the weekend, Hydra Broodmaster AKA Gelatinous Genesis on Legs, seems strong to me....
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 14 Apr 2014, 00:33

I don't think pharika is awful. There does seem to be a deck in theros block that want to use the graveyard and it seems to be in G/B. So with the right other tools, I think being able to generate loads of 1/1 deathtouch creature to hold down the board might be pretty useful.

I think it just looks bad compared to athreos, which is at the same CMC, but it ludicrously powerful
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 14 Apr 2014, 01:04

WB aggro here I come!
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”