The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: The Journey Into Nyx Happy Fun Spoiler Time Thread!

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2014, 20:19

Utilitarian wrote:If you compare it to the Sword of X and Y cycle I think it comes in slightly below them but still worth the same level of respect.

"Slightly below" is an understatement in my opinion. The swords are much, much better. They give protection that just locks those two colors out from interacting with the equipped creature, and have HUGE effects every time a hit lands, on top of a only slightly lower pump.

Godsend only has an effect beyond pumping if it blocks (in which case it's not swinging in and is entirely up to your opponent attacking) or is blocked (can still easily be chump blocked). It doesn't do anything against control decks besides give +3/+3, for example.

The equip cost is actually relevant. It means you can play a 2 drop rather than a 1 drop. Which for aggressive (and even midrange in certain colors) is very important.

In other news... the new Ajani IS G/W and is... kind of disappointing? But I do like him. But dat ultimate...
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 08 Apr 2014, 20:32

That ultimate nothing. Both of those +1's are incredible. I've actually been waiting for a green white Ajani for awhile... and I like it. And I don't think I could resist dat -8 if an opponent let me get him up that high.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 08 Apr 2014, 20:33

WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK IS GOING ON WITH AJANI'S ULTIMATE
Ajani+Doubling Season=laugh in your opponent's face
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2014, 20:36

Lurkon wrote:That ultimate nothing. Both of those +1's are incredible. I've actually been waiting for a green white Ajani for awhile... and I like it. And I don't think I could resist dat -8 if an opponent let me get him up that high.

It's just hilarious, lazy, and kind of bad/good.

Both +1s are VERY solid. Put 3 counters on up to 3 creatures every turn? Replace him with a card you likely want (though I'm disappointed it's 'aura' instead of just enchantment).
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 08 Apr 2014, 20:36

I'd love to see "In response I cast Skullcrack." to that ult going off...
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2014, 20:36

I just straight punch my opponent at that point.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 08 Apr 2014, 20:37

Kapol wrote:In other news... the new Ajani IS G/W and is... kind of disappointing? But I do like him. But dat ultimate...

Sunbond hungers.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 08 Apr 2014, 20:39

Utilitarian wrote:As for the absolute cost, it's the same casting cost as a Sword of X and Y and only one more to equip. Yes I realize one mana makes a big difference in aggressive decks but I feel like that just means Godsend is "very good" rather than "insanely format annihilating".
1 mana when you're talking about the difference between 4 and 5, or higher numbers, isn't a lot, but 2 to 3 is a huge jump. 2 mana can let you play another 2 drop on 4 mana. 3 mana means you get to play another 2 drop on 5 mana, which is probably not even turn five in an aggressive deck. For an aggresive deck, 3 mana is a whole turn, 2 mana isn't.

To me it's the difference between really good, and really average. I would predict it will see some play in the White or White/Black decks, probably sideboard against other creature decks (especially R/G monsters, which is actually pretty good).

Of course my track record for predictions isn't really very good...

Anyway, Ajani huh? BRB, making Bant Super-Friends (Ajani, Elspeth, Kiora, Jace)
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 08 Apr 2014, 20:44

Side note, I like my Ajani prediction better than what we got.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 08 Apr 2014, 20:51

Extra turn cards always get me the mood to try to break them:

Sage of Hours - Click to Expand

Unblockable Cypher-powered deck maybe?
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2014, 20:58

I honestly thought you just needed to remove 1 +1/+1 counter from him. Thought "Whelp, there goes standard..."
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Apr 2014, 21:25

Lurkon wrote:I'd love to see "In response I cast Skullcrack." to that ult going off...
Kapol wrote:I just straight punch my opponent at that point.
So... An actual skull crack?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 08 Apr 2014, 21:26

Exactly.

Also, fun combo with Newjani. Turn 3 (cause you're playing ramp) Rhox Faithmender. Turn 4, either Doubling Season or Ajani, putting 3 +1/+1 to make a 4/7 blocker with lifelink. Turn 5 if doubling season, put down Newjani and ultimate for 200 life. Turn 6. Play Ajani, Caller of the Pride and ultimate, followed by Coat of Arms. WINNING.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 09 Apr 2014, 00:30

On the EDH side it is nice to have a playable planeswalker, Ajani fits into Uril really well and he can slot into a couple of other decks as well.

Sage of Hours is ridiculously easy to break, its not even funny. Clockspinning makes it super easy, doubling season obviously helps, Vorel has some nice synergies, particularly if you are playing master biomancer

Mimeoplasm works very well with it as well
Last edited by ArchieO on 09 Apr 2014, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 09 Apr 2014, 00:52

Honestly it seems like one of the biggest drawbacks to Ajani is that he has the word "Ajani" printed on him. Given that most of the white non-control decks are getting a lot of use out of little Ajani, he's going to be a little in competition with his big brother.

A lot of hooplah about the ult but I really feel like it doesn't matter. I feel like I'd be happy if he didn't even have an ultimate ability. If I need cards he gives both draw and selection. If I don't need cards he's going to improve my (pre-existing) board in a highly versatile manner.

also, five +1 counters on Sage of Hours + Vorel of the Hull Clade = your opponent never gets another turn ^_^

*EDIT* Hmm wait no does that work? I was thinking about activating the sage with Vorel's ability on the stack but maybe not. Darn.

*EDIT* Well you could still get infinite turns with Sage of Hours plus an Elite Arcanist encoded with Triton Tactics and 5 mana available
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 09 Apr 2014, 04:09

gain 100 life...

has any card ever had lifegain that unconditionally ridiculous? I know there are ones that double your life total, but only if it deals damage to target opponent or something.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 09 Apr 2014, 06:42

Well Beacon of Immortality just straight up doubles your life total, the card you are thinking of is Celesital Mantle, that only does it if the creature deals damage to your opponent

The only other card i can think of with a similar amount of ridiculous lifegain is invincible hymn which sets your lifetotal to the number of cards in your library
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 09 Apr 2014, 06:51

I think the largest amount of lifegain a single card could give you at once was 20, on Heroes Remembered.

It is a little disappointing that the new Ajani can't grab non-Aura enchantments, but I guess they didn't want Test of Endurance to actually be viable? Felidar Soverign at least has the benefit of being a dude that can be killed. Still, Ajani still slots into my Karametra EDH.

But anyway, the preview article for Sage of Hours made me want to include it in my Mimeoplasm deck. Dump it in my grave. Exile it and a Lord of Extinction to Mimeo. Goldfish for 6 turns. Seems mean, but at least it isn't "I'm going to go with a Mega-Tromokratis and kill one guy a turn."
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 09 Apr 2014, 09:30

So today's arcana (which is bugging a little bit) has the prerelease promos, which you can put in your deck as per the last couple.

White gets the 2/4 flying lifelink heroic for 4. The bigger wingsteed. None of the others even get close to that usefulness in limited. You go white and you pull an Iroas out of a pack? You would need REALLY shit luck to do badly with that start.

I'm going green anyways, because I love me some counter-increasing and a better shot at Kruphix (I don't even know what he does yet and I don't care, if I can't find him a home I'll make him one), but I'm having real flashbacks to the Gatecrash prerelease and the nigh-unstoppable Aurelia deck.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 09 Apr 2014, 10:35

Setessan Tactics seems pretty mean. ESPECIALLY in combination with Prophet of Kruphix. Swing in, untap, reenact fight club with your respective boards on your opponent's turn...
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 09 Apr 2014, 10:43

jkefka wrote:So today's arcana (which is bugging a little bit) has the prerelease promos, which you can put in your deck as per the last couple.

White gets the 2/4 flying lifelink heroic for 4. The bigger wingsteed. None of the others even get close to that usefulness in limited. You go white and you pull an Iroas out of a pack? You would need REALLY shit luck to do badly with that start.

I'm going green anyways, because I love me some counter-increasing and a better shot at Kruphix (I don't even know what he does yet and I don't care, if I can't find him a home I'll make him one), but I'm having real flashbacks to the Gatecrash prerelease and the nigh-unstoppable Aurelia deck.

I honestly think green is going to be the strongest for once. It's a Kalonian Hydra that you can activate whenever you want (though he doesn't double other counters). The issue is that you can be chumped all day every day. But you can pretty easily get him out of the blue and red bomb's range. He's already out of most burn's range. The black bomb likely won't touch him either. And the lifelink isn't going to stop a 16/16 by turn 6. Especially if you can smack an Aqeous Form on the thing.

That said, Wingsteed+ is up there, and is the second best, if not best. It's going to be a pretty hard card to beat.

Black and red are getting kind of boned. Black's ability could be abused if there are some decent enchantment-creature token generator. Red just seems... eh. You're likely not going to have enough mountains to make it more than 4 or five damage, and it's leaving a mediocre body behind.

Blue is solid again. It's 7 as well, but if you can bounce everything they have with toughness 4-5 or less... that's MOST of their creatures. It'll be like Sea God's Revenge all over again...
BlackDragonMTG
First Video: Friday Nights - Returns

Postby BlackDragonMTG » 09 Apr 2014, 14:37

The new green fight card gets more crazy the more devotion to green you have. 4 decent duders on the field with 6+ devotion ok I tap 2 mana and shrine to nyx my 4 duders fight your duders I wipe your board and now I swing in and wipe your face clean off. I think we will be seeing a new variation of an old classic I used to love. Mono Green Beatdown deck. which used to be straight curve out on aggressively costed duders with more p/t than they should have and just ram them in constantly until opponent died xD Thanks to devotion I think it'll be using bigger bodies now and just as agressive.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Apr 2014, 15:41

...did no one see the Bant combo that was laid out above? Well, not officially, but follow me here:

Get Ajani, Mentor of Heroes to Ultimate
Sunbound [Thank you, ElFuzzy] a Sage of Heroes [Thank you, korvys]
(also using Ajani's first ability to possibly sneak more +1/+1 on Sage)
Fire off Ultimate
Have Sage of Heroes gain 100 +1/+1
Either Aqueous Form and swing, or remove all counters and take 20+ turns
Win
Credit to Foxmar
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 09 Apr 2014, 16:08

Sadly any "combo" for which an integral part is ultimating a planeswalker is inevitably a little underwhelming, especially if it involves another 3 or 4 cards.

(also it's Sage of Hours, incidently).

Plus there are far shorter routes to taking infinite turns with Sage of Hours in standard right now.
ElFuzzy

Postby ElFuzzy » 09 Apr 2014, 20:12

Am I interpreting this correctly? Does Kruphix let you keep mana in your pool?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”