Let's make a LRR block

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Re: Let's make a LRR block

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Apr 2014, 07:16

I think for something that, in single player, is so easy to counter, its initial cost should be a mite cheaper. Maybe I'm wrong

Good card though
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 22 Apr 2014, 07:21

3B works for the card. What is your opinion of the revised version of loading time I had?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Apr 2014, 08:18

Personally, I just think the whole idea of swapping creature types is too subtle for its own good. On its own, I can't think of any way it would improve a deck if you see what I mean, and attempting to build a deck around it would provide lesser gains than a more... straightforward approach. On the whole, I think the whole mechanic just doesn't work.

Please someone feel free to correct me, just my opinion atm
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 22 Apr 2014, 12:18

Sending A Message
Enchantment
All Creatures with power 0 or less get: When this creature attacks target opponent X

Flavor - "It's not about the damage, it's about sending a message"

It could be target opponent Sacrifices a permanent (Like Annihilator), target opponent Discards a card, target opponent Mills for 1
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Apr 2014, 12:48

No, no, no... Even better...

All Creatures with power 0 or less get: "When this creature attacks, target opponent shuffles his or her library."

:D

It doesn't do much (in flavor with just sending a message), but it screws up scry.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Apr 2014, 13:30

Make it zero cost as well for maximum lullage- I like that card :)

EDIT: Actually, if we want a little more mileage out of it, hows about having it activate for attacking & tapping? It's a little less flavour, but would make it appear more in-game. Thoughts?
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 23 Apr 2014, 01:16

Bad 1-drop
C
Creature
Whenever this creature becomes tapped or attacks and isn't blocked, target opponent shuffles his or her library.
0/3
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 23 Apr 2014, 16:30

Perhaps:

It's about sending a message
W
Enchantment
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to attacking creatures with 0 or less power.

Encourages you to make "sending a message" attacks, but still doesn't really gain you a lot in the long run... but could be useful as a combo piece in some strange Johnny brew with Battalion, or Ninjitsu, or something...
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 23 Apr 2014, 23:20

I think those are less inherently funny... ooh, idea!

Sending A Message
Enchantment
All creatures with base power 0 or less get 'When this creature attacks, target opponent shuffles his or her library'

That way, it seems on the surface to be as useless as the original, but is actually applicable to certain decks. The power is still inherently meaningless, hence cheapness, but...
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 24 Apr 2014, 01:42

"base" doesn't mean anything in rules terms. There's not actually a way to ask about the printed P/T of a creature once it's a permanent on the battlefield, AFIAK.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Apr 2014, 01:46

Oh. Well scratch that then
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 24 Apr 2014, 05:17

Well, theoretically you could talk about its "copyable" power, or something... but just like how they usually try to avoid explicitly mentioning the stack in rules text (even though they can, and have, on occasion), because it confuses players who don't have a strong working knowledge of how spells are cast and resolve... having rules text that explicitly calls out layers is probably not ideal.

On another note:
My pseudonym is Ix wrote:I think those are less inherently funny...
My thinking with my version was that it may be less inherently funny, but I think it has high potential for funniness to happen dynamically during the game, in the right hands... Now that I think about it, though, that's probably the wrong approach, given how likely it is for this set to make it to an actual playable form... inherently-funny cards are probably better if the aim of the thread is to brainstorm a bunch of ideas for the fun of it.
Last edited by phlip on 24 Apr 2014, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Apr 2014, 05:21

My reasoning behind the 'inherently funny' approach is that if we're going to make the set about LRR, we might as well make it about the humour of LRR. When I play Magic, we are all able to make jokes out of and have fun with normal cards- nothing makes the set particularly interesting or special if we are just legit 'making cards' where the only 'references' are buried deep in the minds of those who invented them.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 24 Apr 2014, 09:54

do we want to have the funny in the mechanics written on individual cards? I think it'd be better to have silly game states arise from the mechanics, rather than the mechanics themselves be humorous.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Apr 2014, 09:59

I think writing the funny in would detract from the opportunities for actual funny enclosed in flavour text/actual shit the card does.
KiteNeravar
First Video: Assassin Creeds

Postby KiteNeravar » 24 Apr 2014, 11:07

What if we make it start the game in play? That way people won't feel as bad drafting it, and it will go into more decks
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 24 Apr 2014, 11:50

A good idea, not sure how we'd execute. Perhaps we should simply let the player draw a card upon playing it, meaning they get to send their message and do something they actually wanted to as well.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 25 Apr 2014, 08:35

How about this, rather than the above:
Message in a bottle 1
Artifact
When it enters, draw a card
When a creature you control with 0 or less power attacks and isn't blocked, shuffle defending player's deck.
"It's not about damage, it's about sending a message"
Plus, after this resolves, you can pump power if you have the ability to.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 27 Apr 2014, 07:34

How about:
Arstotska Diplomatic Papers 1
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped Creature gets -30/-0 and can not be blocked.
Equip 2

Makes your creature a 0/X (unless you've reached a silly game state already) and might even be quite pushed for some older cards with "whenever this creature attacks and isn't blocked" rules (and the one in standard right now). This wording might also work for some creature (maybe in ready or run) you could draft hoping to grab the papers pack 3.

It doesn't work with Backstab as worded, but maybe
Backstab (If CARDNAME attacks and isn't blocked, you may have CARDNAME deal 1 damage to a creature defending player controls)
and then add deathtouch?
On that note: 0/1s with deathtouch seem like a very badgery thing to have in a set...

On a more general note: I've been in hospital for a couple of days and thus couldn't push this thing along. I'll be prodding forum *g*

phlip wrote:Well, theoretically you could talk about its "copyable" power, or something...

Ohh, awkward templating:
"Copy target creature, then sacrifice the copy. It deals damage to you equal to its power. If no damage was dealt this way"...

phlip wrote:My thinking with my version was that it may be less inherently funny, but I think it has high potential for funniness to happen dynamically during the game, in the right hands... Now that I think about it, though, that's probably the wrong approach, given how likely it is for this set to make it to an actual playable form... inherently-funny cards are probably better if the aim of the thread is to brainstorm a bunch of ideas for the fun of it.

I wouldn't be that pessimistic. If we manage to get a set done, it can be ported to OCTGN at least, which would allow online play between any pair (or group) of players having the set file. I think it doesn't support drafting (though there are some complicated work-arounds that involve moving cards around manually and starting multiple multiplayer sealed games with only 1 booster).
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 27 Apr 2014, 12:10

A deck filled with 0/1 deathtouches or variants thereof seems pretty awesome. I like that plan- we could fill a good chunk of deck space with that idea, plus it... feels LRRy. Not in any specific way, it just seems appropriately spoopy.
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 27 Apr 2014, 12:57

Well, deathtouch only goes into green and black, which limits things a bit. But then I think of the streaming giant growth and go: awesome. Block me, I pump and in the worst case trade up, don't block me and I either pump for damage or have backstab(?) or a message trigger(?). Could be a sweet archetype - GB weenier.
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 30 Apr 2014, 06:11

Alternative template for
Backstab X (Whenever CARDNAME attacks and isn't blocked, you may have CARDNAME deal X damage to a creature defending player controls)
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 30 Apr 2014, 11:45

Sounds good, even if the mechanic doesn't seem particularly flavourful. Maybe that's me being picky. Would it be worth saying "...creature defending player controls instead", just to specify you don't get a double dose of damage.
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 30 Apr 2014, 13:15

Yea, the way I templated it it's a triggered ability and the damage is dealt in addition to combat damage and the instead would make it a replacement effect. I think making it a replacement effect is a good thing, so I'd ammend it that way.

Flavor card idea:
"Where is the Racism?"
Something debuffing a creature type?
Art: The ethereal form of Alex in the style of H.McNeil
Evil Smurf
First Video: I can't remember, it was on the escapist

Postby Evil Smurf » 01 May 2014, 15:31

Also we need a twitch card.
Artifact, indestructible, each player pays 5 each upkeep phase, All cards controller has have haste.

the upkeep of 5 as that's the dollar cost of subscribing.

Dix wrote:*cough*Chat Mods*cough*

Oh excuse me. I had something caught in my throat.
So we need an Nirvana, LRRbot, Ashton, Dix, and Pikachaos and Fugi.

legendary Creature type: Mod
pay x to exile x target permanents, but they have different mechanics, and colours. Pikachaos is white, with adorbs (player who controls Pikachaos goes first)
Fugi would be black with Mirror (if you mention Fugi three times in a row, you discard a card)

That's all I've got so far.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”