Let's make a LRR block

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Re: Let's make a LRR block

Postby tamaness » 16 Apr 2014, 01:31

Most sets have the evergreen mechanics (Flying, Hexproof, Haste, Intimidate, Deathtouch, Defender, Vigilance, Lifelink, Trample, and probably a couple others I can't remember), as well as 4 to 6 new and returning non-evergreen mechanics (Scry, Monstrosity, Heroic, Devotion, etc..). Mechanics are usually repeated and developed over the course of a block, and new mechanics are introduced later in the block.

RTR block was weird because it had 11 new keyword mechanics. I can't even remember if it had any returning mechanics, and the only repeated mechanics were in Dragon's Maze, which also introduced Fuse.

We'll need to decide which, if any, existing named mechanics we'll be using (Probably a maximum of two), and keep to probably 6-7 total new named mechanics across the block. (L-S-S is usually 4-1-1 or 5-1-1. Sometimes 5-2-1.)
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Apr 2014, 01:56

Well, shows how much I know
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 16 Apr 2014, 03:55

The trick is to make some of the mechanics from the first set work for the whole block, so there's still 4-5 mechanics in the later sets, even if there's only 1-2 new ones.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Apr 2014, 04:42

That's why I quite like the Feed Dump one- it even works outside the set, although it'd be missing some flavour
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 16 Apr 2014, 05:24

AdmiralMemo wrote:Chetoos: Just to clarify this interaction to make sure I understand...

If you had a Yoked Ox in play, and say Favored Hoplite had this "Loading Time" mechanic, the new token would have:
Name: Yoked Ox
CC: W
Type: Creature - Human Soldier
P/T: 0/4

Is this how you envisioned this, with the only thing changing about the token copy being the creature type?

That is correct, exactly. It's also to prevent you from getting a whole bunch of extra free tribal if you copy a lord, since it keeps subtypes off.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Apr 2014, 07:21

Card idea:

Mr. Ballsmatron
Artifact Creature - Construct
Trample
T, Sacrifice Mr. Ballsmatron: Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
2/1
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 16 Apr 2014, 07:47

madAlric wrote:RTR block was weird because it had 11 new keyword mechanics. I can't even remember if it had any returning mechanics, and the only repeated mechanics were in Dragon's Maze, which also introduced Fuse.

Hybrid mana costs were a returning mechanic and yea, split cards were another one, but fuse turned them into something else - 3 modes of casting rather than 2. The missing evergreens are reach, flash and protection and I think that's all of them.

I think we could make Loading time one of the draft archetypes (Hats), without having to do a particular mechanic.

I've got a card that could go in there:

Floating Hat
1U
Creature - Human Hat
Hexproof
When CARDNAME becomes the target of spells or abilities, it loses hexproof and can not be blocked.
1/1
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 16 Apr 2014, 08:03

AdmiralMemo wrote:Card idea:

Mr. Ballsmatron
Artifact Creature - Construct
Trample
T, Sacrifice Mr. Ballsmatron: Bell Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
2/1

FTFY
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 17 Apr 2014, 07:09

Some card ideas, incorporating our keywords
The Book of Stan 4WB
Instant
Stream 2WWBB
Creatures target player controls get +1/-1 and gain lifelink
Sunkern 1G
Feed Dump: Sunkern gets +1/+0 and gains first strike for each artifact equipped to it.
Sunkern gets deathtouch and lifelink if equipped with five equipments
1/2
Evil Wizard Geoff 4RB
Deathtouch, lifelink
LoadingTime 3RBB
4/4
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 17 Apr 2014, 08:50

3 things:

1) What is 'Book of Stan' a reference to? Also, it's original play cost seems a little much- or alternatively the stream cost needs bumping a little.

2) The wording for Feed Dump could be simplified to 'Feed Dump: Sunkern gains +1/+0'. The name should explain the mechanic.

3) I'm still not sure about the 'Loading Time' mechanic.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 Apr 2014, 09:14

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:1) What is 'Book of Stan' a reference to? Also, it's original play cost seems a little much- or alternatively the stream cost needs bumping a little.

A very early video.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 17 Apr 2014, 10:18

My pseudonym is Ix wrote:3 things:

1) What is 'Book of Stan' a reference to? Also, it's original play cost seems a little much- or alternatively the stream cost needs bumping a little.

2) The wording for Feed Dump could be simplified to 'Feed Dump: Sunkern gains +1/+0'. The name should explain the mechanic.

3) I'm still not sure about the 'Loading Time' mechanic.

1) Maybe 3WB, but I want to keep the stream cost the same. Remember, cutthroat maneuver costs 4 mana, and it only effects 2. This is potentially a one sided boardwipe, or softening them up for your wall of first strikers.
2) Alright, I was just doing it that way since I don't know if it's been finalized in templating yet. Also, Metalcraft.
3) That's fair, I was kind of giving an example of how it would work on a creature, such as one that's a bit behind the power curve, but still playable on its own, that can copy something of the same CMC.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 17 Apr 2014, 14:44

The Meme Machine - 2
Artifact - Uncommon
You may choose to not untap ~ during your untap step.

4,T: Tap target creature. As long as ~ remains tapped, it cannot untap, and its activated abilities can't be activated.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 17 Apr 2014, 14:54

Meme Machine should be equipment. You can equip onto enemy creatures, right?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

tamaness

Postby tamaness » 17 Apr 2014, 16:33

You may only equip onto creatures you control (702.6a).

In Magic rules, a colon signifies a cost of an activated ability. How am I paying the cost of 'Feed Dump' to activate this ability. This sounds like an ability word:

Feed Dump - ~ gets +1/+0 for each equipment attached to it.

Or a keyword:

Feed Dump (This creature gets +1/+0 for each equipment attached to it.)

I think I like it more as an ability word, as it's more flexible that way.
korvys

Postby korvys » 17 Apr 2014, 17:58

Ability word is the way to go. Ability words have no rules attached to them, but signify all the cards with them are mechanically similar (Battalion, Metalcraft, Inspired).

keybase.io
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 17 Apr 2014, 18:22

Ah, my bad. Revised:
Sunkern 1g
Creature - Plant
Feed Dump - Gets +1/+0 and first strike
Has lifelink and deathtouch if equipped with at least 5 equipments
1/2
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 18 Apr 2014, 20:54

I had an idea on how to revise the Loading Time mechanic: Rather than doing it from your hand, you do it to copy them for the turn. So, templating:
Loading Time (Mana cost): Become copy of target creature you control with cmc equal to this card -1.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 21 Apr 2014, 14:13

Dear dear, two whole days without a post on this thread? Shame on you, forum :)

So I dun thunk of an idea; we've already considered the use of a Kickstarter mechanic/feature using Fund counters- why not apply the same counters to Desert Bus-themed cards? Would fill out that play option and add a bit more flavour to the block.

Anyone have any particular card suggestions using this/reasons why it's stupid?
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 21 Apr 2014, 14:46

Maybe something like... opponents paying mana to strengthen a spell, but they get something out of it. Like this:
Bug splat R
Sorcery
Kickstarter - 2 (Any opponent may pay 2 as this spell is being cast.)
Bug Splat deals 2 damage plus 2 damage for each time it was kickstarted. Each opponent who kickstarted the spell draws a card.
korvys

Postby korvys » 21 Apr 2014, 19:32

I like "Kickstarter" playing off Kicker. It should be easy to template, has a lot of depth, and would be ridiculous in multiplayer.

EDIT: Though it is kinda a remake of Join Forces.
Last edited by korvys on 21 Apr 2014, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

keybase.io
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 21 Apr 2014, 19:39

so make it Multikicker that everyone can pay into? (kind of like the Join Forces cards from Commander 2011)

'for each player that kickstarted this spell, that player may choose another target' or something?

Also, I want to propose my backstab mechanic idea (if it doesn't fit or work, oh well).

Backstab (If this creature attacks and isn't block, you may assign its combat damage to a creature defending player controls)

Generally, I see this being paired with some sort of evasion ability.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 21 Apr 2014, 20:27

That's basically the idea I came up with, and I admit it's kind of like Join Forces, but rather than everyone getting all the effects or detriments, it powers up the spell itself for the caster, but then gives a different benefit. Another idea would be like this:
Creepy Infusion 2B
Kickstarter 3
X Target creatures gets +2/+0 and first strike until end of turn where X is the number of times this spell was kickstarted plus 1.
Each player that kickstarted this spell gains five life.
My pseudonym is Ix

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 22 Apr 2014, 03:56

I prefer chetoos' specific card suggestion, purely because it's more 'give-y' in nature. I feel like Kickstarter cards, and in fact most of the set, should focus on giving cards more stuff rather than disabling or damaging then- LRR is a benevolent force, on the whole.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 22 Apr 2014, 07:09

How about a creature that has kickstarter?
PresidentBarrackObamaAllOneWord 4B
Creature - Dog
Kickstarter 2
~ gets 2 +1/+1 counters for each opponent who kickstartered it
~ Can't attack players or planeswalkers controlled by players who kickstarted it unless its controller pays 3B
6/6

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”