Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Jun 2014, 18:12

That was kind of strange, we had 16 people in chat say they wanted to go, then 9 people joined pods, three people had issues with their computers not being ready and needing to restart and buy product just before the draft.

I strongly recommend buying your product and logging into MTGO a few hours ahead of time, there are updates about every other week and sometimes bots run slow. You dont have to stay online but just make sure you are ready ahead of time. Also 10 minutes prior is a bad time to see if you can figure out your streaming set up.

Edit: Huh, I guess there were three pods, there were 19 people fan drafting. My bad
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 14 Jun 2014, 19:44

Well, my unfamiliarity with the format certainly proved to get the better of me. I feel like I made some bad picks, ended up going 1-2.
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 14 Jun 2014, 19:45

So went 3-0, although my first game with mowdownjoe could have gone either way. It is now 4:45am and I'm going to bed :)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Jun 2014, 20:17

Glad you could stay up and play with us Woogie, maybe there will be a reason for you to come around next week.

The far right, I thought I was going into green, the warden was my 3rd pick, the archer was my 4th, the font was 7th.

I really could have used those three cards and it might have helped to cut that eagle to make white a little more open, oh well.

I went 2-1 My first match I drew 6 of my 7 plains and no mountains in game one, in game two I kept one mountain one plain and never drew another land. I cast two spells the entire game after the game I drew cards, it took 16 draw steps to get my third land.
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 15 Jun 2014, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
whatthebus
First Video: Rapidfire S2E1

Postby whatthebus » 14 Jun 2014, 20:18

http://i.imgur.com/rgERJo5.jpg?1
Pretty happy with this Simic deck. P1P1 Deathgaze Cockatrice and rolled from there. Went 2-1.
In this moment, I'm not a huge fan of whatthebus.
-Graham Stark
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 14 Jun 2014, 20:24

So, another 1-2 outing. Argh.

P1P1 was Pharika, and that may have lead me astray with more questionable drafting. Not sure if this was better or worse than last weeks deck!

Draft Vid: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/4465445
Replay: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/b/538586465

(For those watching the replay: Sorry, felt like I couldn't speak without mangling words all night. Bleh!)

Thanks again to my opponents for the games! (Volafortis, MowDownJoe, Karnasis).
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 14 Jun 2014, 20:37

Maddrius wrote:So, another 1-2 outing. Argh.

P1P1 was Pharika, and that may have lead me astray with more questionable drafting. Not sure if this was better or worse than last weeks deck!

Draft Vid: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/4465445
Replay: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/b/538586465

(For those watching the replay: Sorry, felt like I couldn't speak without mangling words all night. Bleh!)

Thanks again to my opponents for the games! (Volafortis, MowDownJoe, Karnasis).

I watched your draft video and here are my tips if you would like them.

I feel you were pushing a little hard on the Heroic stuff it wasn't really what you deck was doing. I see your deck as aggressive with a splash of constellation and death touch so there were a couple of picks that were 50/50 that I would have done differently because of how I play. I dont know your play style, but the two in purple were pack two that I think really hurt you.

Oh and which pod was everyone in...

I was in pod two with mr Phlip (and others)

Pod one was Karnasis and MowDownJoe (and others)

AdmiralMemo was in pod three (with others)

[–]Graham_LRR
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 14 Jun 2014, 22:09

What program do you use to stream Maddrius?
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Maddrius

Postby Maddrius » 14 Jun 2014, 23:06

@Lord Hosk: Thanks for checking out the stream. I am always open to feedback :- )

I definitely wished after the fact that I had taken the giant spider instead of the aspect. I think I was just tunnel visioned on "death touch good". I also agree that I was trying too hard with the heroic stuff. I ran into this last week as well; I had too many turns where I needed to cast creatures but also wanted to do stuff with the strive spells. Will have to learn balance here at some point.

I like the cuts you highlighted, but really hurt myself in the draft. As you note, that second swordwise would have been more useful, and I passed a sedge scorpian that I really could have used. I was rarely doing anything until turn three at the earliest, and spent most games trying to dig out of a hole.

Oh well. Hopefully it's all grist for the mill, as it were.

Thank you again for the feedback!

@Dix: I am using OBS. It took some tinkering to get things working smoothly, and I can't do some of the fancier things that XSplit will do (I can't flip the camera while streaming, for one). But overall it works pretty well for me. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to help where I can.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Jun 2014, 23:54

Well, I had fun... I actually had the product and didn't realize it at first, even though I still had trouble logging in. So doing it ahead of time wouldn't've helped much. (Also, for several hours prior, I was troubleshooting the TV that my computer uses, so I wouldn't've been able to pre-plan as much.)

Anyway, despite going 0-3 (perhaps partially because MtGO wouldn't let me submit my deck, so I went into Game 1 of each round with 81 cards), I had fun. Being passed a foil Karametra paid for the draft, and I am glad I drafted VERY consistently, so the "large deck" problem wasn't really a problem.

I'm still trying to get with Phlip for last week's rematch.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Wooglie

Postby Wooglie » 15 Jun 2014, 02:03

Lord Hosk wrote:Oh and which pod was everyone in...

I was in pod two with mr Phlip (and others)

Pod one was Karnasis and MowDownJoe (and others)

AdmiralMemo was in pod three (with others)

I was in pod one with
whatthebus
Volafortis
Karnasis
Lurkon
mowdownjoe
Maddrius
korvys
I played mowdownjoe, Volafortis and Lurkon IIRC.
I didn't record the match, but here are my picks:
http://pastebin.com/qDm94f8b
Pack three was nuts for me.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 15 Jun 2014, 04:19

Yeah, I'd say pack 3 was nuts for you. Pack 1 was nuts, as well. That deck was rough.

Anyway, I went 2-1, losing only to Woolgie's crazy W/U Heroic deck. (I thought I had game 3 against him until the Return to Dust hit.) Editing my recording for YouTube right now (transcoding to something that can be edited is a bitch), but the Twitch replay is here. Also, special thanks to Lord Hosk for moderating my chat room. Apparently, I'm hot enough stuff that people feel I deserve to be trolled. Also, I need to figure out how to get this chat overlay plugin for OBS to work.

[Edit:] Here's the YouTube version.
Last edited by MowDownJoe on 15 Jun 2014, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Jun 2014, 04:57

Maddrius wrote:@Lord Hosk: Thanks for checking out the stream. I am always open to feedback :- )

Thank you again for the feedback!

@Dix: I am using OBS. It took some tinkering to get things working smoothly, and I can't do some of the fancier things that XSplit will do (I can't flip the camera while streaming, for one). But overall it works pretty well for me. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to help where I can.

Glad to help, oh and this goes for everyone not just Maddrius the second thing I learned when drafting is there is a second layer below or beyond color that can really help or hinder a deck. What is your deck doing? Agro V Control, and in this block Heroic V Constellation. If your deck is really agro and you pick a 8 mana flying 10/10 no matter how good that is, chances are it will always sit dead in your hand and you would want a 2/1 for 2 instead. If you are a super control a 3 mana 2/2 haste is probably worse than a 3 mana 1/4 lifelink.

Oh and your sound levels were REALLY low. I had to max volume both my main and playback audio. as opposed to LRL which is set to 30% main and 30-50% twitch depending on the streamer.

[–]Graham_LRR
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Jun 2014, 05:50

I was in Pod 3, and I played against Laser and the guy who was a fan but didn't know about the draft.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Wooglie

Postby Wooglie » 15 Jun 2014, 06:09

MowDownJoe wrote:Yeah, I'd say pack 3 was nuts for you. Pack 1 was nuts, as well. That deck was rough.

Anyway, I went 2-1, losing only to Woolgie's crazy W/U Heroic deck. (I thought I had game 3 against him until the Return to Dust hit.) Editing my recording for YouTube right now (transcoding to something that can be edited is a bitch), but the Twitch replay is here. Also, special thanks to Lord Hosk for moderating my chat room. Apparently, I'm hot enough stuff that people feel I deserve to be trolled. Also, I need to figure out how to get this chat overlay plugin for OBS to work.
Just watched the replay, can't believe I forgot the Eidolon's ability. The dictate really helped me as I drew five/six lands in a row, which over six turns would have lost me the game, IIRC I had three lands in hand when I won. I was just hoping for a way to remove the pin to earth, dawn to dusk, gods willing or mortal obstinacy would have done it. The only other way I could see myself winning was by clock or you decking yourself.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 15 Jun 2014, 12:38

A friend and I drafted this thing.

I actually resolved the Prophet of Kruphix once. So far I'm 2 for 2 resolving a single blue card in an otherwise not blue deck.

In match two, against Korvys (who could not draw any land in this the third game) this happened:

I maintain that upping Dawnbringer Charioteers from a 2/4 flying lifelink to a 10/12 flying lifelink in a single turn was completely reasonable.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 15 Jun 2014, 16:47

I took part, and I did rather poorly. 0-3, in fact, without a single game won. I feel like I can't even say it was "not bad for my first draft". =P On the plus side, I got a Karametra and a Celestial Archon, which are cards I like regardless of whether or not they're any good (I honestly don't know). I was in pod 2. I lost to mrphillip in the last round, played stu_the_cat in the first round, and I don't quite remember who I was up against in the second round.

I'll try to participate again in the future (and I'll try to get better!), but that has to wait for me to get enough money or enough tickets to buy in again.
whatthebus
First Video: Rapidfire S2E1

Postby whatthebus » 15 Jun 2014, 19:37

Impromptu Sunday night draft. Today's adventure: Dragon Force
http://i.imgur.com/JIGOLrt.jpg?1

Thew away the first round, may or may not have been able to win with better plays. But the deck showed how filthy it can be in rounds 2 and 3.
In this moment, I'm not a huge fan of whatthebus.
-Graham Stark
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 15 Jun 2014, 19:48

Impromptu Sunday Night Draft

1-2 I got RUN OVER in round one, Round two game one was a really good close game, game two and three what the bus kicked my teeth in.

brimaz went for 12

[–]Graham_LRR
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 15 Jun 2014, 20:54

Well, I got my draft videos up onto YouTube, so feel free to watch them if you want.

It's my first time recording anything like this, so it's not very good... terrible audio quality (not helped by a cheap mic and a noisy computer), lots of dead air, me nearly going to time due to explaining things too much, and also missing important things due to being distracted by explaining... all hopefully things that will improve with practise, but for now it is what it is.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Dix

Postby Dix » 15 Jun 2014, 22:14

I know its a just a quick, tiny youtube upload but I got my setup mostly configured how I want it. I recorded it straight from OBS instead of streaming it so the file should be good. Lemme know if audio sounds good and if you guys think it'll do for streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Mf-pN6pNA

Thanks!
Karnasis
First Video: Paul

Postby Karnasis » 16 Jun 2014, 11:54

My deck was terrible, I went 0-3, and I was either stuck at 5 mana when I needed 6, or I got 9 mana and no spells to play. Overall I was high on the tilt-o-tron by the end of it.

I recorded all but my first pick of the fan draft, but I haven't uploaded it to youtube. I probably won't as it was all dead air and nothing being said. All I can say is I wish I took the riptide chimeras going around, and maybe a war-wing siren (though I think I didn't see any)

Edit: I won't be there for this weeks fan draft, work until 10 ast (9 est for those who don't know ast :P) so I will miss the draft.
Wooglie

Postby Wooglie » 16 Jun 2014, 13:12

Dix wrote:I know its a just a quick, tiny youtube upload but I got my setup mostly configured how I want it. I recorded it straight from OBS instead of streaming it so the file should be good. Lemme know if audio sounds good and if you guys think it'll do for streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Mf-pN6pNA

Thanks!
It will do for streaming, but the audio does sound slightly wrong, maybe a little too compressed? I'm not an expert so don't take my word for it.
Maddrius

Postby Maddrius » 16 Jun 2014, 21:13

@Philip: Checked your youtube upload. Video quality looks good, and the audio quality is ok. (Yes, can hear the computer fans in the background, but you are easy to understand). Also,I think your commentary works well, nice pacing.

@Dix: Video quality also looks good. (Jealous of the cool chat window scheme!). Audio quality is workable, but as Wooglie mentions, perhaps a little too compressed. You may want to check your bitrate and sample rate under settings->encoding. I'm currently running AAC/128/48khz, if that helps for comparison. (which is probably overkill. 96/44khz would also probably work fine).

But I think it's totally acceptable for streaming, and you were easy to understand.
Dix

Postby Dix » 16 Jun 2014, 22:08

Thanks guys! I thought the audio sounded a bit odd.. I wonder if that was a result of it recording then uploading to youtube or if its just the fact I'm using my webcam's microphone (so not super quality). I'm recording it in AAC/96/48khz sooooo I'm gonna blame the microphone here on this one.I'm actually considering picking up one of the Blue Snowball iCE mics for this and other webchat/computer recording.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”