Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Karnasis
First Video: Paul

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Karnasis » 25 Jul 2014, 07:11

Well, I assume your familiar with the pre-release format, but if not the basics

1) Most people pick a color based off the spoiled cards and see what looks like something fun they could do with said color, however promos generally skew the numbers a bit (personally the black promo for m15 looks gross, great for control)

2) Be aware that even after you pick a color you might not get enough good playables to even run so though you picked black, you might not even run black, which is a shame because you have more dead cards in your pool that way

3)40 card deck, just like drafting

4)Have fun :)

With this pre-release I think we're doing (not I unfortunately, as I work till 10 pm ast, 9 pm est and will miss the sealed shenanigans with everyone) a friendly queue. Also, as long as you logged in since 2008 this pre-release is free, otherwise it's paid as normal. Still get to keep the cards like before, but it's paid for by phantom points and one of 5 pre-release packs that should have been in the inventory since yesterday.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 25 Jul 2014, 07:15

BarcodeReader wrote:Especially if it's a free pre-release.

Unfortunately... the free prerelease is a gift to existing users... specifically, any user who logged in between April 2008 and the last downtime before the prerelease... which was, as I understand it, a couple of days ago. If you don't have your account yet, I believe it's too late to get in on the free prere action, and it'll cost you the normal $25 to get in.

[edit]
Oh wait, I just saw the "despite getting the thing nearly a year ago" bit. In that case... hopefully you should be good? You should open it up some time to make sure you have the 35 phantom points and prerelease colour token thing that you'll need to get in for free. You should also make sure you're running the right client... what was the "current' client when you signed up a year ago has since been replaced... if you downloaded what was the "beta" client when you signed up, then you should be good. If you need it, here is the download link for the new version.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 25 Jul 2014, 07:23

I've done many a physical pre-release, and I signed up for mtgo like last october, i just never got around to actually using it. Also, JUST installed it on a new computer from the Wizards website, so I think I'm good on that end. The phantom points may be a bit trickier, seeing as I haven't the slightest clue what those are or how to acquire them. Same goes for the Token thing.

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
phlip

Postby phlip » 25 Jul 2014, 07:32

BarcodeReader wrote:The phantom points may be a bit trickier, seeing as I haven't the slightest clue what those are or how to acquire them. Same goes for the Token thing.

The phantom points are a sort of secondary event ticket thing... usually they're given as prizes for "phantom" events - that is, ones where you don't get to keep the cards you open (Cube, mostly), and then are accepted back as entry to those same events.

In this case, they're being reused as a way to give out this "free" prerelease... every user who has logged in to MtGO during the last 3 years was given (yesterday?) 35 phantom points, and there is an entry option into the prerelease where you can pay with 35 phantom points.

If you didn't actually log in to MtGO in that period then you won't need to worry about the phantom points - you would need to pay to get into the prere in the normal way, with event tickets. Specifically, you'll need 20 event tickets, and one "prerelease object"... which is basically a little thing that exists solely so you can pick which colour you want to play (so, say, if you wanted to play Blue, you'd enter the event with 20 tickets and the blue prere object). You can get the tickets and the prerelease objects from the MtGO store, and it'll cost you $25 US all up.

[he/him/his]
BarcodeReader
First Video: Arms Race
Location: The lowest, deepest, darkest, SE-most corner of Iowa.

Postby BarcodeReader » 25 Jul 2014, 07:48

Whaddayaknow, it's all there, points, tokens, everything, just didn't see it right away. Thanks guys! Look forward to doing the thing this Saturday!

"Great Paul's Bunyan, he's strong as an Ox!"
"But I have no horns... Or lumberjack friends..."

(Art by http://tominalley.deviantart.com/)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2014, 10:53

So, here are the last two Fan Drafts I went 0-3 with. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how I could improve my drafting skills.

July 12, 2014 - Click to Expand

July 19, 2014 - Click to Expand

Hosk: Here's the third black player in the pod. Did I cut a bunch of your good black along with Graham?

If you want to critique my decks, go ahead. I could use the advice. From what I can tell, I'm a total Johnny/Vorthos player, with perhaps a bit of Melvin thrown in.

Getting ready for the pre-release tonight.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 26 Jul 2014, 14:02

AdmiralMemo wrote:...Getting ready for the pre-release tonight.

I don't honestly see too much wrong with your decks. The red deck isn't the type of deck I'd draft personally, but it seems alright. I think if anything the issue may be going up against fellow LRRunners, who have watched many many MTGO drafting streams. Competition may be a tad more stiff than with other drafts.

As for the upcoming fan sealed, I already used my sealed phantom points, so might just draft m15 normally if anyone else is willing to join me.
whatthebus
First Video: Rapidfire S2E1

Postby whatthebus » 26 Jul 2014, 14:56

I'll throw my two cents in, Memo.
First a disclaimer: none of this is intended to be condescending, these are just things that have helped me go from being a complete scrub to the near competent player I am now. Hopefully you find them helpful, too.
The main problem I can see is one of card evaluation: you're playing some questionable cards if favor of stronger cards in your sideboard. Asphodel Wanderer over Servant of Tymaret immediately jumps out to me. This also applies to Satyr Hoplite and Akroan Crusader: without the heroic triggers to support them, these cards are just 1/1s for 1.
Check out set reviews based around draft and take note of which cards they consider common and uncommon bombs and which cards aren't worth the (digital) cardboard they're printed on. Early in the set I like to make of list of the cards that are deceptively good and bad. One such trap is a card with high upside but a very low floor. It's generally better to go with the safer, more reliable, boring card than the splashy hit or miss one.
I also find it helps to slow down the draft to make sure I'm picking the best card for my deck. Highlight the card that immediately jumps out, then talk through why that card is better than another. I also take this approach during play, but as I'm sure Hosk will confirm, this does take it's toll on your clock. :P
After the event is over, think back on why you lost or won, and whether you made the right decision at the time with the knowledge you had. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses is a big tool going into subsequent drafts.
Anyway, for the RG deck I'd cut Hoplite, Crusader, a Font of Ire, and Gluttonous Cyclops for Reckless Reveler, Satyr Hedonist, Swordwise Centaur and Nylea's Disciple.
In BW cut Asphodel Wanderer, Ritual of the Returned, Rescue from the Underworld, and Warchanter of Mogis for Servant of Tymaret, Spiteful Blow, Read the Bones and Cast into Darkness. Cast is interchangeable with Mortal Obstinacy or Scourgemark.
Again, sorry if I sound like a know-it-all jerkass. I'm not that good at Magic, but I'm always trying to get better.
In this moment, I'm not a huge fan of whatthebus.
-Graham Stark
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2014, 15:24

No, you're fine. I like blunt opinions like this.

Regarding Wanderer vs. Servant, I wanted lower drops, but I can see that point.

With the Hoplite and Crusader, yeah, I now realize I only had 3 things to target them with.

The thing I don't get is I don't really know why I lost or won, specifically.

Regarding my decisions for not inserting certain cards:

I had Reveler in the side-board due to not knowing if I'd be up against artifacts. I had Hedonist in for the longest time, and it was my last cut. Swordwise is just a 3/2 for double-green and since I was mostly going red, I thought double-green was bad. I cut the Nylea's Disciple for the double-green, too, and I was thinking I wouldn't have that much green devotion. Max I would have would be 6, and usually it would end up just being 2.

I can see cutting the Wanderer, but I wanted a low-drop regen in case of aggression. Servant fills that role, though, I see now. I had Ritual and Rescue in because I was low on creatures. Warchanter was in there just because he was a body and had intimidate. I cut Spiteful blow because I thought it was too high-costed. I didn't think Bones was doing anything for me. I thought 2 Cast into Darkness was too many. I had Mortal Obstinacy in for the longest time, too.

But if y'all can tell me why my decisions for not running those cards are wrong, let me know, because I do want to become a better player.

hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 26 Jul 2014, 16:17

Unless you're playing a strict control deck, Asphodel Wanderer doesn't do enough. A 1/1 for 1 is not worth a card in your deck. It may be a "low drop", but unless it actively progresses your plan, it's not really worth a maindeck slot. It's a fine sideboard card if you come up against a very aggressive deck, but most of the time, it's a guy who might attack once for 1 damage, and otherwise you'll have to actively prevent yourself from playing cards by keeping up regeneration mana for him.

Servant of Tymaret, you don't really mind that as much, because you're getting a drain when he untaps. You don't get that with Wanderer
whatthebus
First Video: Rapidfire S2E1

Postby whatthebus » 26 Jul 2014, 16:18

I can see where you're coming from with ritual and return, but I wouldn't run both. Running the pikers increases the overall power level of your deck, and are generally better draws at any point in the game than the alternative. Disciple and Swordwise really aren't too bad on your manager base since you're already running Swarmborn and Heroes' Bane. You probably have to go 9-8 red but you were already pushing 10-7. Overall you're overvaluing 1 drops. You can board them in if you really have to, but only main them if they have a lot of upside that you can take advantage of. If not, you will never miss having them.
Also cast is pseudo-removal, which your deck was pretty light on.
Last edited by whatthebus on 26 Jul 2014, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I'm not a huge fan of whatthebus.
-Graham Stark
hascow

Postby hascow » 26 Jul 2014, 16:23

As far as fan prerelease goes, the "Friendly Prereleases" are filling up fast, so we'll have to be quick after one of them fires.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 16:36

hascow wrote:As far as fan prerelease goes, the "Friendly Prereleases" are filling up fast, so we'll have to be quick after one of them fires.

Last time I did one, we filled one up in about 5 seconds. So... I don't think that's going to be a problem.
hascow

Postby hascow » 26 Jul 2014, 20:37

here's my 2-2 deck from the fan prerelease:

Lost in the last two rounds to a deck that had Soul of Ravnica/Jace/Liliana and a ridiculous B/W deck. Won the first two rounds in a couple great matches.

Lots of fun., I hope to join some more fandrafts in the future.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 20:46

Here was my 2-2 deck and pool:

I thought my deck was pretty nutty. I thought I had enough to go super fast aggro. A lot of lower drops, tons of removal, and yet not once did I really take off on the fast lane. But I managed to swing in quite a few times. There were a few games I lost due to misplays, and a few others I lost because of flooding and screw. But that happens to everyone sadly. I did luck into one win by drawing into my Burning Anger while I had a flier, 3 ground damage I couldn't attack with, and a Lava Axe I'd been holding all game.

Also, apparently I got some super alternate art rares:

phlip

Postby phlip » 26 Jul 2014, 20:58

Here's my deck that went 1-3... not too happy with that result, deck wasn't that amazing but probably deserved to go 2-2 at least... but I played super sloppily during the rounds... rushing through decisions to try to beat the clock after timing out in round 1. I really need to get the hang of talking out my decisions for the videos and still not losing to time.

As always, my videos are uploading to YouTube and will be up in many many hours. Probably much longer than usual since it was a 4-round event. But you can watch the videos as they appear if you feel the need.

[he/him/his]
Karnasis

Postby Karnasis » 26 Jul 2014, 21:05

Missed out on the fan draft, went 2-2 with this http://imgur.com/DsqXQtX

Felt that I should have been a bit better, but it is what it is. Also, I think there was an over abundance of mythics this pre-release.... not just today either, yesterday when I did a pre-release on my wifes account (she wouldn't be playing anyway and doesn't exactly care for magic, would have been a waste) I saw a lot of souls, and it seems the same for today's as well.

I'm confused as to why, mythics shouldn't be dropping like candy.

Also learned that Yisan can be pretty cool, but if you don't have 4 drops or 5 drops for creatures, he's a waste.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2014, 21:07

So... Now we play the game of "How did Memo bus it up this time?"
I went 1-3 in this sealed after picking Red. Out of the 10 games I was in, I would say I only played 4 of them.

R1G1: After 4 turns of solid nothing on his side, opponent scoops.
R1G2: A good old back and forth and I won.
R2G1: Draw no lands for about 6 turns and die.
R2G2: Another back and forth and I won.
R2G3: Draw no lands for about 6 turns and die.
R3G1: Draw no lands for about 6 turns and die.
R3G2: Draw no lands for about 6 turns and die.
R4G1: After about 5 turns of hardly anything and me not drawing islands, opponent scoops.
R4G2: I had a good fight, but I lost due to a few misplays.
R4G3: A good old back and forth and I lost.

Can someone tell me what's wrong with this deck? Please? Also, what was up with the shuffler tonight?
Red-Blue deck that SEEMS fine to me - Click to Expand

Even had I lost, I still would've felt happier if I had gotten to actually play my deck.

Props to Borderland Marauder, Hot Soup, and Ensoul Artifact, though. They put in work.
Last edited by AdmiralMemo on 26 Jul 2014, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 26 Jul 2014, 21:16

Well, that was a lot of fun! First time I've played sealed with the online client, and looks like we had a pretty good turnout from folks. (Plus bonus Graham and Kathleen!)

Overall, I did pretty well. Wound up 3-1, and my loss was getting run over by Eyebr0ws' wild dual-planeswalker deck. (And even that was interesting to watch go off, even sitting on the other side of it).

The deck:

*Edit: Forgot to add the rest of my pool:

Deck Building: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/4754260
Replay: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/b/551597145

[NOTE!: I finally fixed my issue of low audio levels, but unfortunately over-corrected slightly. It would figure that the first time my levels are a little hot lined up with a thunder storm!]

Overall, I had some great cards in my pool, but felt hemmed in on colour choice by a lack of bread-and-butter cards. This was a lot different than drafting, that's for sure.

A lot of rounds went to game three, and I still need to get better at paying attention to the client. (NoTomToLose put me on the play in the last round, and I skipped right past my turn because of it!)

Thanks again to my opponents! (Vagrant, Eyebr0ws, Serinde, NoTomToLose).

And thanks to everyone for the strong turn out, this was a good night.
Last edited by Maddrius on 26 Jul 2014, 21:58, edited 2 times in total.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 21:19

Karnasis wrote:Missed out on the fan draft, went 2-2 with this http://imgur.com/DsqXQtX

Felt that I should have been a bit better, but it is what it is. Also, I think there was an over abundance of mythics this pre-release.... not just today either, yesterday when I did a pre-release on my wifes account (she wouldn't be playing anyway and doesn't exactly care for magic, would have been a waste) I saw a lot of souls, and it seems the same for today's as well.

I'm confused as to why, mythics shouldn't be dropping like candy.

Also learned that Yisan can be pretty cool, but if you don't have 4 drops or 5 drops for creatures, he's a waste.

I noticed a few moments like that myself. One opponent I had ended up having Soul of Phyrexia and Soul of Shandalar in his deck.

Memo, if you're looking for advice, here's some feedback. What shouldn't have been in the deck, then what should have been.

Unless you were doing it for the fun value, you shouldn't play Ornithopter I feel. It's not -that- bad when you're running stuff like the burning fist. But it's still not very good. Even with Ensoul Artifact. Hot Soup is bad as well. There was a decent amount of damage being done that I saw, so I don't think it's worth a slot. With those changes, Ensoul Artifact itself just doesn't make the cut. Invisibility isn't that great for a similar reason to Soup. But in this case, there's also the fact that this is a set with enough walls that it won't always be basically unblockable. Might Makes Right also really shouldn't be in there. It's too slow for what it does, and you won't always have the highest strength. You also had a lot of high drops in your deck already. Similarly, I really dislike Miner's Bane. Those high drops mean you likely didn't end up doing much before turn 3-4 from the looks of it. I might say that thopter might be necessary for creatures early on. But it seems you had enough unused lower red cards that it wouldn't have been necessary.

But in your pool... I see quite a few good things that you didn't use. Aetherspouts can be a real blowout and I feel it should have made the cut. Forge Devil is a decent pinger and can actually kill a solid number of things. I would have run both inferno fists. It's really good. Goblin Roughrider is a solid early creature that can usually trade up later. And Torch Fiend is a decent creature that has some utility (I noticed artifacts played a decent role). To help bring down your curve, you likely should have played the Bloodseeker too. I also feel like another Pathmage would have been good, as being unblockable is a solid ability.

Also, you were running 10 non-creature spells from what I count. That's too many for most limited decks. Even if all 10 are, say, murder-level removal, that just means you're not putting enough threats on the board.

One other thing I wanted to mention: whoever was running the Pridemate Lifegain deck, I really liked that deck. That's a limited deck I want to pull off. Yea, it had some bad cards in it, but the combos with Pridemate were really good. I just ran enough removal for the combo to not really go off, because I pulled a ton.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Jul 2014, 21:25

2-2
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 26 Jul 2014, 21:25

Aww, Memo, you fell for the Ornithropter trap. You really don't have enough stuff that hinges on artifacts for Ornithropter to be playable (2 cards is not enough, even in spite of the dream of Ensouling a Thropter). Meanwhile, Sacred Armory is perfectly playable, and a 5/5 Ensouled Armory is still scary. You were definitely in the right colors, but I would've built differently. (Those AEtherspouts, man!)

Anyway, my deck and pool:

Went 2-2. R1 was the mirror, which could aptly be described as "Whoever wins the coin flip wins the match." Seriously, we won the G1 flip, got off to an aggro start, and I couldn't stabilize. I kill him in G2 with the aggro start. G3 I think I've stabilized at 3 and I'm beating him with some big beaters including a Hoarding Dragon, but then he has the Lightning Strike. R2 I win handily, thanks to Hornet's Nest one game and a Servant-powered fatty game 2. R3, I play some scrub and lose to mana flood R1 and mana screw R2. (JK, Graham, if you are reading. :p ) No worse feeling in the world than playing Sign in Blood and drawing 2 lands when you have 3 in hand. R4 was me stomping my opponent into the pavement when I don't end up mana flooded. I expected some flood, what with running 18 lands. But 2 of them were Evolving Wilds, so it shouldn't have hurt that bad.

Edit: Replay, for the curious, is here. Might try splicing together a highlight reel for this one. Or maybe the one I did yesterday. Dunno which.
Last edited by MowDownJoe on 26 Jul 2014, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
leebenningfield
First Video: Rapidfire #1

Postby leebenningfield » 26 Jul 2014, 21:27

Here is my 3-1 deck from the pre-release:

Sacrificing creatures to Blood Host to pump it and Ajani's Pridemate, then getting them back with Soul of Innistrad. I only got this combo going in one game, and it was so filthy.
Karnasis

Postby Karnasis » 26 Jul 2014, 21:36

Geez hosk, way to win pre-release. Nissa is worth 18 tix (lower than yesterday thanks to the flooding of cards... I mean sooo many mythics)

Shame on the 2-2 though
phlip

Postby phlip » 26 Jul 2014, 21:37

AdmiralMemo wrote:Can someone tell me what's wrong with this deck? Please?

OK, so my opinion, as in no way an expert at this game:
In no particular order...

I think you're definitely in the right colours for your pool... none of your other colours look very strong to me.

Cut Radiant Fountain. Especially with all those double-blue and double-red spells, you don't want a land that can only tap for colourless, and gaining 2 life isn't much of an upside.

Cut Ornithopter, it's really only good if you get Ensoul Artifact on it, otherwise it does absolutely nothing except being a waste of a card in your hand. On the same note, cut Ensoul Artifact, as you don't have enough artifacts to make it good... it's relatively often going to be just sitting in your hand with no targets... I'd want at least 4-5 artifacts in the deck to run that card.

I'm not super impressed by Invisibility... it lets you get through in a stalled board, but it's super easy to get 2-for-1ed with it. I'd much rather run more Pathmages - you can't get 2-for-1ed as easily with those, and you can also change what you're giving unblockable to if something new comes up. Especially with Hot Soup in the deck as well... you don't need that many ways to make things unblockable.

Mercurial Pretender doesn't seem that good for you... basically the only things you really want to clone are the Soul and the Dragon, and either of those will win the game pretty quickly on their own, you don't need two of them. And if you don't have those, you're copying, like, a Frost Lynx or a Pathfinder or something... not awful, but you'd rather just have another solid creature in your deck than be dependent on copying something solid.

Might Makes Right is a bad card, and seems even worse than normal in your deck... again, it seems like it'll only really work if you have Soul or Dragon, and if you have those you're already winning.

Meteorite doesn't seem like it's doing a lot for you... at 5 mana you can already cast the vast majority of things in your deck, and probably won't need it for fixing... and most 2 toughness stuff won't be super relevant any more by that stage of the game. With the number of 6s and 7s in your deck it's not terrible, but it's definitely on the boarder line.

On the other hand, looking at your sideboard: I'd probably run a second Pathmage, maybe even all 3... that card is sweet. I'd also run the second Inferno Fist, removal is removal, and putting it on something that you've made unblockable with Pathmage is a good way to punch through some extra damage. You're also pretty light on creatures, so I'd probably add in Roughrider and Will-Forged Golem to bring the count up a bit... neither of them are amazing cards, but they're solid. Golem also acts as another enabler for Tinkerer, given I'm already cutting to artifacts. Tinkerer's still playable as just a 3-mana 2/3, but having ways for it to gain flying makes it a lot better.

Aetherspouts is also a card in your sideboard I'd have my eye on... I don't know if it's as good as I think, but if nothing else I'd definitely be ready to bring it in if playing against an aggressive deck. In the same "borderline" category goes Miner's Bane... I'm just not a fan, but I think it's probably playable.

So, yeah... that's probably what I'd do differently if that was my pool:
Out:
  • Radiant Fountain
  • Ornithopter
  • Ensoul Artifact
  • Invisibility
  • Mercurial Pretender
  • Meteorite
  • Might Makes Right
In:
  • Island
  • Amphin Pathmage x2
  • Inferno Fist
  • Will-Forged Golem x2
  • Goblin Roughrider

At least, that's my first thoughts... if I actually laid that out I might make some changes, since it feels like the curve might be a little high, might want to make some cuts for your 2-mana 2/1s to bring down the curve or something... but without actually laying it out, that's what I'd be looking at.

Karnasis wrote:Felt that I should have been a bit better, but it is what it is. Also, I think there was an over abundance of mythics this pre-release.... not just today either, yesterday when I did a pre-release on my wifes account (she wouldn't be playing anyway and doesn't exactly care for magic, would have been a waste) I saw a lot of souls, and it seems the same for today's as well.

I noticed a similar thing in my paper prerelease, interestingly... I saw at least twice as many Souls being opened than Planeswalkers, even though there should be a roughly equal number of each, both being mythics and there being 6 of each...

[he/him/his]

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”