Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 21:56

phlip wrote:I noticed a similar thing in my paper prerelease, interestingly... I saw at least twice as many Souls being opened than Planeswalkers, even though there should be a roughly equal number of each, both being mythics and there being 6 of each...

Actually, thinking about it, I think there's a good reason. Unlike walkers, Souls can be pulled from the prerelease pack. So while it's roughly the same chance of pulling a mythic I believe (1 in 8 different prerelease packs vs a 1 in 8 chance for a mythic in normal packs), the mythic is guaranteed to be a Soul in the case of the prerelease pack.

That'd be my guess at least.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2014, 22:02

Kapol wrote:Memo, if you're looking for advice, here's some feedback. What shouldn't have been in the deck, then what should have been.

Unless you were doing it for the fun value, you shouldn't play Ornithopter I feel. It's not -that- bad when you're running stuff like the burning fist. But it's still not very good. Even with Ensoul Artifact. Hot Soup is bad as well. There was a decent amount of damage being done that I saw, so I don't think it's worth a slot. With those changes, Ensoul Artifact itself just doesn't make the cut. Invisibility isn't that great for a similar reason to Soup. But in this case, there's also the fact that this is a set with enough walls that it won't always be basically unblockable. Might Makes Right also really shouldn't be in there. It's too slow for what it does, and you won't always have the highest strength. You also had a lot of high drops in your deck already. Similarly, I really dislike Miner's Bane. Those high drops mean you likely didn't end up doing much before turn 3-4 from the looks of it. I might say that thopter might be necessary for creatures early on. But it seems you had enough unused lower red cards that it wouldn't have been necessary.

But in your pool... I see quite a few good things that you didn't use. Aetherspouts can be a real blowout and I feel it should have made the cut. Forge Devil is a decent pinger and can actually kill a solid number of things. I would have run both inferno fists. It's really good. Goblin Roughrider is a solid early creature that can usually trade up later. And Torch Fiend is a decent creature that has some utility (I noticed artifacts played a decent role). To help bring down your curve, you likely should have played the Bloodseeker too. I also feel like another Pathmage would have been good, as being unblockable is a solid ability.

Also, you were running 10 non-creature spells from what I count. That's too many for most limited decks. Even if all 10 are, say, murder-level removal, that just means you're not putting enough threats on the board.
MowDownJoe wrote:Aww, Memo, you fell for the Ornithropter trap. You really don't have enough stuff that hinges on artifacts for Ornithropter to be playable (2 cards is not enough, even in spite of the dream of Ensouling a Thropter). Meanwhile, Sacred Armory is perfectly playable, and a 5/5 Ensouled Armory is still scary. You were definitely in the right colors, but I would've built differently. (Those AEtherspouts, man!)
phlip wrote:I think you're definitely in the right colours for your pool... none of your other colours look very strong to me.

Cut Radiant Fountain. Especially with all those double-blue and double-red spells, you don't want a land that can only tap for colourless, and gaining 2 life isn't much of an upside.

Cut Ornithopter, it's really only good if you get Ensoul Artifact on it, otherwise it does absolutely nothing except being a waste of a card in your hand. On the same note, cut Ensoul Artifact, as you don't have enough artifacts to make it good... it's relatively often going to be just sitting in your hand with no targets... I'd want at least 4-5 artifacts in the deck to run that card.

I'm not super impressed by Invisibility... it lets you get through in a stalled board, but it's super easy to get 2-for-1ed with it. I'd much rather run more Pathmages - you can't get 2-for-1ed as easily with those, and you can also change what you're giving unblockable to if something new comes up. Especially with Hot Soup in the deck as well... you don't need that many ways to make things unblockable.

Mercurial Pretender doesn't seem that good for you... basically the only things you really want to clone are the Soul and the Dragon, and either of those will win the game pretty quickly on their own, you don't need two of them. And if you don't have those, you're copying, like, a Frost Lynx or a Pathfinder or something... not awful, but you'd rather just have another solid creature in your deck than be dependent on copying something solid.

Might Makes Right is a bad card, and seems even worse than normal in your deck... again, it seems like it'll only really work if you have Soul or Dragon, and if you have those you're already winning.

Meteorite doesn't seem like it's doing a lot for you... at 5 mana you can already cast the vast majority of things in your deck, and probably won't need it for fixing... and most 2 toughness stuff won't be super relevant any more by that stage of the game. With the number of 6s and 7s in your deck it's not terrible, but it's definitely on the boarder line.

On the other hand, looking at your sideboard: I'd probably run a second Pathmage, maybe even all 3... that card is sweet. I'd also run the second Inferno Fist, removal is removal, and putting it on something that you've made unblockable with Pathmage is a good way to punch through some extra damage. You're also pretty light on creatures, so I'd probably add in Roughrider and Will-Forged Golem to bring the count up a bit... neither of them are amazing cards, but they're solid. Golem also acts as another enabler for Tinkerer, given I'm already cutting to artifacts. Tinkerer's still playable as just a 3-mana 2/3, but having ways for it to gain flying makes it a lot better.

Aetherspouts is also a card in your sideboard I'd have my eye on... I don't know if it's as good as I think, but if nothing else I'd definitely be ready to bring it in if playing against an aggressive deck. In the same "borderline" category goes Miner's Bane... I'm just not a fan, but I think it's probably playable.

So, yeah... that's probably what I'd do differently if that was my pool:
Out:
  • Radiant Fountain
  • Ornithopter
  • Ensoul Artifact
  • Invisibility
  • Mercurial Pretender
  • Meteorite
  • Might Makes Right
In:
  • Island
  • Amphin Pathmage x2
  • Inferno Fist
  • Will-Forged Golem x2
  • Goblin Roughrider
To be fair, I realized the Ornithropter was a trap after Game 1, so in Game 2 of every round, I swapped that out for AEtherspout.
I disagree about Hot Soup, though, as that was what was getting damage in most games I won. Whether it was ensouled or equipped, it just kept the damage going.
But if I cut them out, yeah, I agree that the Ensoul Artifact should come out.
Regarding Miner's Bane, I never actually drew it, so I have no clue.
Might Makes Right: I see your point and agree now.
Torch Fiend I left on the sideboard in case of artifacts.
Forge Devil I left out because my previous amount of advice said I valued 1-drops too highly, so I cut it this time.
I was considering adding the Roughrider, but cut him just because he was vanilla.
I cut the Altac Bloodseeker because I didn't have enough removal for the ability to matter, though I can see the argument now for it.
Regarding another Pathmage, I never even got to play the ability on my first one, despite it coming out frequently, so that wouldn't've mattered, I don't think.
I don't know why 10 non-creature spells matters, though.

Sacred Foundry was one of my last cuts, to be honest.

Radiant Fountain: It only came out once anyway, but I can see your point.
I only saw Meteorite twice and played it once. I can see the issue with it now, having played it.
I was totally considering a Golem, but felt it wasn't strong enough that high on the curve.

So, all in all, give me a basic, high-concept of where I'm going wrong, though, without reference to specific cards. I want stuff I can move forward with, not stuff that only pertains to this specific sealed pool.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 26 Jul 2014, 22:03

Kapol wrote:So while it's roughly the same chance of pulling a mythic I believe (1 in 8 different prerelease packs vs a 1 in 8 chance for a mythic in normal packs)[...]

I don't think it is... it's probably the same relative probabilities (a specific mythic is half as likely as a specific rare). I mean, I don't have anything to back that up, but it would be my guess.

AdmiralMemo wrote:I don't know why 10 non-creature spells matters, though.

Because creatures are important. The vast majority of limited games will come down to your creatures vs your opponent's creatures, and while the non-creature spells are certainly relevant, it's your creatures that are going to be dealing the bulk of your damage to your opponent, and stopping your opponent from dealing damage to you. I typically want to play at least 15 creatures in my deck, and anything less than that feels like it's going to be too weak... all too often my opponent is going to have more creatures than me... and if I'm lucky I'll have some guy that's big enough to discourage them from attacking, but if they draw a removal spell it could just open the floodgates. This goes double when so many of those non-creature spells are things that only do anything if you already have creatures, like equipment or combat tricks... and double again for things that only matter if you have creatures and don't have to hold your creatures back on defence, like Hot Soup or Invisibility.

AdmiralMemo wrote:So, all in all, give me a basic, high-concept of where I'm going wrong, though, without reference to specific cards. I want stuff I can move forward with, not stuff that only pertains to this specific sealed pool.

So yeah, the main higher-concept idea would be: play more cards that are generally solid, and fewer cards that are conditionally powerful, but if the conditions don't come up then they're terrible. When conditional cards to come up, you need to consider honestly how often it's going to be able to work, and how often it's going to do nothing... and don't just focus on the upside. So things like Ornithopter, Ensoul Artifact, Invisiblity, Might Makes Right... these are all cards that have amazing upside... but if you don't get lucky with them then they're just not going to do much of anything. On the other hand, cards like Goblin Roughrider don't have that upside, they're never going to be a turn-2 5/5 flier... but they're going to be consistently solid... any game where you draw Roughrider and have the lands to pay 2R, it's going to do the same thing, and you're rarely going to be sad with it.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 22:30

One thing about the Golem (and convoke cards in general), just because they have a higher CMC than you might expect to pay, keep in mind you can make them cheaper pretty easily. The Golem may be a 6-drop, but you could realistically play it turn 4 without any real ramp. One of my opponents almost won because I was worried they had Stoke The Flames with enough creatures (but no mana) to play it on their Hornet's Nest.

For the 10 non-creature spells thing, the issue with having that many is that you're not playing actual threats. If you're going more control, then you can kind of excuse it more. But if you're racing someone by trying to kill their threats without playing any yourself... well, you're likely not going to win that race. In this case, 6 of the non-creature spells you were playing required a creature (or artifact in Ensoul's case) to do anything. Without the creature/artifact, you couldn't even play 4 of them. And one of the ones that doesn't require anything else, Meteorite, doesn't actually do much anyways. Same with Turn to Frog. Without something to go into combat, you're normally just saving yourself from some damage. That's why 13 creatures seems pretty low for the deck.

I don't know if I can some up with anything too basic, but here are some general thoughts based on the deck without using specific cards. (Warning: Rant ahead)

I feel you need to keep your curve more in mind. While higher cost things are normally more powerful, you need an early and more of a mid game to keep you alive so you can draw mana and keep up with your opponent. I try to imagine what your curve should ideally be as a hill. It starts low on the one end at the 1 drops, rises to a peak in the 3-4 drops, and then drops down to the other end at the 6-7 drop area.

As well, you need to evaluate each card separately. Ask yourself "does this card do enough to be worth a card slot by itself?" Stuff like Might Makes Right and the Thopter fall into this category. They don't do anything without something else added to them. There are exceptions to this. If you're playing a ton of auras (which isn't the best idea in limited anyways honestly) or are playing a lot of huge creatures, then you might be able to justify it. But those are corner cases rather than the rule.

This is somewhat related to Hot Soup, but it can be applied elsewhere too. But you should try to look out for creatures that have the same kind of ability as enchantments or artifacts. In this specific case, the Pathmage plays a similar role to Invisibility and Hot Soup without putting yourself in the position of a two-for-one by losing the aura, or hurting your creature by making them more easily killable. Hot Soup has the downside of making your creature an awful blocker, and sometimes you need that blocker to live. I feel this is also somewhat relevant to Forge Devil vs Meteorite.

Use the vanilla test on creatures. If you don't know, the vanilla test is when you look at a creature's mana cost, then at it's power and toughness, and decide if it's playable based on that alone. You don't worry about what abilities it has at that point. For stuff like Torch Fiend and Bloodseeker, a 2/1 for 2 is fine. It's not amazing, but they're fine cards on their own. The abilities on them are just upside at that point. So you can play them without worrying about how useful that ability will be. But for cards like the paragons, they fail the vanilla test in my opinion. They're 4-mana 2/2s. That's pretty awful. But, depending on your deck, their abilities might make up for that.

And, of course, as I type this, someone else has likely already posted. If I'm wrong on some of this advice, feel free to correct me. One other thing I'd likely point to if someone can find it is Marshall from Limited Resources talk about what a card does at each stage of the game, and how that effects how good a card is. I don't know if he's done a separate podcast discussing it. But he talks about it on his set reviews, and it's a good point. Asking what a card does for you at each stage of the game (like when you're behind) is important in evaluating it too. But I'm not sure how to really articulate the point myself.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 22:39

phlip wrote:
Kapol wrote:So while it's roughly the same chance of pulling a mythic I believe (1 in 8 different prerelease packs vs a 1 in 8 chance for a mythic in normal packs)[...]

I don't think it is... it's probably the same relative probabilities (a specific mythic is half as likely as a specific rare). I mean, I don't have anything to back that up, but it would be my guess.

I would think that, since the number of possible pulls is set at 8 for prerelease packs (and I mean the seeded packs, not the whole thing), that makes the odds of getting a soul 1 in 8. Because the on-color soul is the only mythic you can pull from those packs. From what I've read, that's about the same as the normal chance to pull a mythic in a standard pack. But the chances to get a soul as your mythic is 2/5 (or 6/15) if I'm not mistaken. So this leads to the chances of opening a mythic to be roughly 5% compared to the 12.5% chance in the seeded pack. Though I'm half asleep right now, and I suck at math, so this could be wrong.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2014, 22:53

Thanks for your input everyone. Now... The final question that's been left unanswered: What do I do to prevent the "6 turns drawing no lands" problem I consistently had?

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 22:58

Well... lowering your curve should make that a little easier on you. But there's not really a ton you can do about it. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of playing on MTGO is that mana-screw and mana-flood seem to happen a lot more often online than it does in real life. Maybe that's saying something about true randomness vs shuffling the deck though. Or maybe I just have bad luck.

One thing I think I learned after reading this is that, during a fan draft, everyone* is streaming and I shouldn't bother them.

*disclaimer, this obviously isn't true. It just seems like a high number of players stream/record their games.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2014, 23:03

Well, I would always keep my opening hand if I had at least 3 lands and/or I could cast at least 2 of my cards. But on the games I lost, I could never seem to get to 4 lands out until it was too late.

Kapol

Postby Kapol » 26 Jul 2014, 23:05

Playing right is about all you can do. It happens. Hence the whole 'blame Worth' and 'lrrEFFing shuffler' jokes that kind of revolve around MTGO.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 26 Jul 2014, 23:10

Well, I've never been more screwed over before, until recently. I had extensive 0-3's and 1-2's during RTR block when I was starting out, but I had fun playing them. I could actually get my decks to do what I wanted them to do. M14, Theros, and Born, were the same way. I'm not sure what happened the past few weeks, but since late Journey, it's just gotten worse for me, and I haven't been having as much fun, since I haven't felt like I've been able to play with the decks I built. I don't mind losing, as long as I feel like I'm losing fairly.

I'm just trying to figure out what changed in the past few weeks.

hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 26 Jul 2014, 23:18

Unfortunately, Memo, that's Magic. It has variance. It's incredibly frustrating when you feel like you're not actually playing magic, but it happens. The only thing you can do is make sure you're playing 17 lands and make sure that you have a decent curve. Past that, there's not a lot you can do. It's a lot of practice to see what you can do differently, see where you may have messed up, etc.
phlip

Postby phlip » 26 Jul 2014, 23:20

Kapol wrote:One thing I think I learned after reading this is that, during a fan draft, everyone* is streaming and I shouldn't bother them.

*disclaimer, this obviously isn't true. It just seems like a high number of players stream/record their games.

Speaking only for myself... the main reason I play the fandraft as opposed to just any other mtgo event is that I actually know the person on the other side, and am more likely to have a conversation, or see people's reactions in the chat, and the like... rather than your average mtgo game where you may as well be playing against an emotionless AI rather than an actual person. So even if I'm recording, don't stop chatting on my account...

[he/him/his]
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 26 Jul 2014, 23:26

^--- This :- )

I agree, interaction during the game, especially among other fans, adds to the fun (up to a point anyway).

I am used to a certain amount of table-talk when gaming, so I would second the comment of not holding back just because someone might be streaming as well.
hascow

Postby hascow » 26 Jul 2014, 23:26

Yeah. I definitely tried to have a bit of conversation, even if it's things as simple as "wow, that card is absurd" or "oof, what a blowout". In a fandraft, it increases the chance of having someone repsond.

I'll usually try to respond to calm, well-reasoned, good discussion or comments.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 26 Jul 2014, 23:30

I did spectacularly in the prerelease event. Went 4-0, though a couple of the match ups did give me some trouble. Played against Lord Hosk in the first round, and didn't recognize any of the other usernames (though if memory serves, my third round opponent TTC'd the final game).

I picked Green for my pack, and played a blue green deck with no special plan. I opened a Jace, and had a few good cards that stood well on their own. Chasm Skulker won me the last round after a first game loss, and Hornet Nest did some heavy lifting in a couple of the games. Phytotitan saw a lot of play. I didn't think much of it going into the event, but there's something to be said for a 7-power creature that just won't stay removed. Oh, and colourless firebreathing from Sacred Armory? Priceless.

In conclusion, that was a lot of fun. If folks are interested, I can post a screenshot of my deck in the morning.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 27 Jul 2014, 08:27

My deck: http://imgur.com/dUcVamR

I only went 2-2 thanks to JWiley's insane BW aggro deck and some bad luck against a good opponent (Maddrius) in R4, but I feel the deck was solid despite the dearth of removal. Splashing Jalira may have been a mistake, but it may just have been that I didn't hit the situations where she would have been great.

You'll notice that I'm playing 18 land plus ramp, and my opponents (Maddrius) noticed I was putting them on the play a lot. This is thanks to an article written by Travis Woo of Channel Fireball recently: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles ... 15-sealed/

I think there's a lot of useful advice on Sealed play in there. I have to say it felt really good when I would draw a slightly sketchy seven after winning the flip, but feel fairly safe keeping it because I had put myself on the draw and had extra land in the deck.

Rounds 2-4 ended up getting streamed, if you'd like to see my play and sideboard decisions. There wasn't a lot interesting in R4, sadly, but I did start off that last video by discussing the last game of R3 and what I could have done better.

http://www.twitch.tv/notomtolose2/profi ... broadcasts
hascow

Postby hascow » 27 Jul 2014, 09:02

How'd Tyrant's Machine look for you? That's a card I'm really on the fence about. I probably would've played Generator Servant to ramp out a hasty Soul or Siege DRagon.
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 27 Jul 2014, 09:30

Oh boy! Apparently there are at least 3 streams where you can now watch me fumble with the client and make misplays! :P I had no idea so many people here streamed.

Uh but hi. I'm Sarah_Serinde most places on the internet. I haven't spent much time in the forums.

I basically haven't played any Magic since M13, and even then didn't play much. So I was a little worried about getting crushed by people who actually know what they're doing. But I managed to go 2-2, and still played all three games in the matches I lost, so I'm pretty happy about that. I also loved that I could chat and joke with people without worrying how they might react or interpret things.

Here's my deck and pool:

I'm a bit disappointed to not get any flashy bombs, but on the other hand I didn't have to face very many either. I only saw my promo card once though, and it was promtly killed because I wasn't paying enough attention to abilities that I should have seen coming.

I think I should have left out the meteorite, since my deck was so agressive. I wasn't sure about the Bloodseeker, since it benefits from using removal before combat and that often wasn't when I wanted to kill things. But it ended up doing some work in a couple games. I also sometimes sided in another big creature, as I didn't always finish the game quickly enough and needed more ways to stand up to opponents' creatures. Aside from that I think I did a reasonable job at building the deck, though I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

Notomtolose I'm watching your replay of our match and cringing a little. :P Think I made my worst plays there...
Last edited by Sarah on 27 Jul 2014, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 27 Jul 2014, 09:36

Don't worry too much about it Sarah; I'm pretty sure you're the first person to see it (the chat never made a peep the whole night) and if five people end up watching it I'll be shocked. :)
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 27 Jul 2014, 09:39

Hahaha oh good no one will ever know. Oh well, I still think I did reasonably well considering how little practice I've had. :)
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 27 Jul 2014, 10:57

To Memo, and anyone else who feels like they draw too many of 'do-nothing' hands that need specific draws to work, I feel I can help you out.

While accepting variance is definitely critical to enjoying Magic, I think there's more to it.

If your hand was literally all land or zero land you wouldn't have kept it, so why was it a 'dead hand'? Because you couldn't find a good use for the spells that were in it. Either you couldn't play them, or they didn't do anything.

CARDS THAT DO THINGS - Click to Expand
There's been plenty of good advice already about the cards that are useless too much of the time. Phlip pointed out the importance of creatures, and he's right. Almost every sealed or draft deck should be looking to play as many creatures as possible, especially cheap efficient ones. If your noncreature spells are not removal or insane bombs, there's a good chance you should be playing a creature instead of them. You'll notice that in my deck I played literally no noncreature spells that were not some form of removal besides the armour that becomes a creature if I need it to.

I think one of the reasons you, me and many other players have had a hard time with JOU compared with BNG/THS is that the creatures in JOU are terrible by comparison to the other two sets (some are conditionally strong, if played right, but not by default). Instead, there are a lot of splashy strong-but-conditional noncreature spells. In your RG deck, for instance, you're playing two Fonts of Ire, which are only good if you've done a ton of early damage to your opponent, in a deck with exactly five creatures below four mana: three 1/1s, a 2/1 and a 3/2. Personally, I've caught myself spending too-high picks on cards like Hour of Need that can be very powerful in just the right situation, over straight-up creatures that will always hit the board and help me win games.

CARDS YOU CAN PLAY - Click to Expand
Kapol also helpfully pointed out the importance of mana curve, but it's more than that. When you are making your deck, you should be looking for every reason you can find to cut spells that cost more than three or four! In my deck for instance, even with all the ramp and the 18 land, I actually now feel it was incorrect to play the Siege Dragon. The Souls are stronger and cheaper and I really didn't need more than those two finishers. So, even though Siege Dragon is a very strong card that is actually worth hitting seven mana for, in this case it was not worth a slot. I would side it in if my opponent had a lot of ways to kill my bombs, but I think I only saw one Flesh to Dust and one Banishing Light the entire tournament, so two is probably a very safe number of win conditions to play.

For your M15 deck, Memo, I actually feel this was a much bigger problem even than the potentially-useless artifacts and enchantments, because at least if you do draw those pieces you can play them without hitting five or six mana! Looking at the way you've laid out those four piles, you never ever want to play a deck where the 5+ pile is the biggest pile of spells! The only cards in that pile that shouldn't have been cut are probably the Master of Predicaments, the Soul of Shandalar and maybe the Meteorite.

Now, I'm not saying they're bad cards. Other than Might Makes Right I think they are all somewhere on the playable-to-good scale, but that's the way mana curve works - cards that cost more than five need to either win the game on their own (like a big trampler or flier) or somehow stop the opponent from winning when they would have otherwise (like unconditional removal). You only need two or three such win conditions in a 40-card deck, because you only need to draw one or two per game. Everything else in your deck should be there to help you play them. Either they draw out enemy removal and creatures by attacking/blocking or they ARE removal that keeps you alive longer or helps you keep attacking.

So, for instance, if you didn't have the Soul or the Master, I would say play the Dragon, the Kitefins and maybe the Miner's Bane, because those are all also playable-to-good win conditions, and three is a good number of those. Seven is too many, and since Burning Anger and Mercurial Pretender are only good for your deck if you already have one of them out, I would just never play them.

IN CONCLUSION - Click to Expand
I think that Sealed is one of the best formats to learn magic because it takes the pressure off card selection - you don't have to draft a cohesive deck, you just have to know what it looks like when it's done. So, using your pool as an example Memo, this is what I would have built out of it:

Forge Devil (Don't be fooled, this is not a creature. This is a 1-damage removal spell that can also block sometimes.)
Heat Ray

Borderland Marauder
Generator Servant
Torch Fiend
Altac Bloodseeker (Great with Inferno Fist. If you kill something after blocks this gets first strike and +2/+0, so it's very hard for opp to block this combo if they have anything X/2 or X/1 on the board)

Lightning Strike
Inferno Fist x2 (Don't be fooled, this is not an aura. This is 2-damage removal spell that can also hit opps for extra damage sometimes. Just remember to keep a red mana up in case they try to remove the creature!)

Sacred Armoury (Don't be fooled by the cheap cost, this is actually an expensive finisher. After they play fat blockers for your 2/1s, this lets them keep attacking one by one because the opp will have to either trade or take a ton! It also works the same way on defense, which is lucky.)

Krenko's Enforcer (Evasion)
Carrion Crow x2 (is great)
Goblin Roughrider
Witch's Familiar
Necrobite

Accursed Spirit x2 (with Inferno Fist)
Paragon of Open Graves

Shadowcloak Vampire (and the Armoury!)
Covenant of Blood

Soul of Shandalar

10 Mountain 8 Swamp
Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 27 Jul 2014, 11:47

Did a decent 3-1 for the fan stream, pretty happy. I was a little surprised, since I had been awake for like a whole day by that point and fueled by coffee, but I think I had a really nice white with a splash of black deck.

I watched the footage of Graham vs me and just an fyi, I was trying to be super cautious after that game 1 wrecked me, I didn't want to lose to a red combat trick or something weird in m15 I hadn't heard of. And I feel like it paid off, even though I may have only won because G didn't calcify my Soul of Theros, and then mulled to 4 with no decent land for the last game.

Anyhow, it was fun, looking forward to playing again with the packs I won.
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 27 Jul 2014, 12:00

@NoTomToLose: Yikes! If either of those souls had hit the table, I would have been toast. My deck had only one out against big creatures like that, and phyrexia would have had a built in defense against it.

I think splashing the Jalira was good, and in the one game I saw it in she came down fairly early. It was just unfortunate that I was curving out with my flyers and it didn't quite work out. I think the theory is sound though (especially with the possibility of trading a mystic for one of the souls or the dragon!)

(I felt bad about your shuffler draw in our match, especially in the first game. Let me know if you want a re-match with these decks some night!)

Small aside: in you replay, I like your "actually, a bird in the hand is more like the bird in the bush" reframe :- )

*Edit: Also meant to say, that Haunted Mail did work!

@Sarah: Thanks for joining the draft! I think I enjoyed our match the best out of the games I played! Very close games, and things might have been more interesting if we both weren't so short on time in game three.

I also lucked out and had my combat trick in hand for the kaboomist trade. Otherwise, that would have been very bad for me! Getting him down early would have built up quiet the mine field ...

(Also, Crippling Blight top deck against my sadist - argh!)

Hard to say about the meteorite. I agree, it's expensive ramp/fixing in your more aggro deck, but the extra built in burn was useful in the game it did show up in.

Also, my apologies, I feel I was mispronouncing your name all night! Please let me know if I was incorrect.

And sorry for all of the default "He" pronouns. I have tried to be better at this, but didn't catch myself until our game three. Watching the replay had me wincing at myself ...
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 27 Jul 2014, 15:24

Thanks Maddrius! Don't worry about the name - most people struggle with it, and honestly I'm only 80% sure I'M pronouncing it right. (It's *cough* Elvish. It means "the broidress," because I embroider things and I'm a giant geek.) I pronounce it Sair-in-day, so you were close at least some of the time. :P

As for the pronouns, I really don't mind. I intentionally left out the "Sarah" because I was a little worried about the treatment I might get for being identifiably a girl. I don't actually know if it's much of an issue on MTGO, but I decided to just go with something that wasn't obviously feminine. I think one of my opponents figured out I wasn't a guy, but I don't really expect it.

That said, I'm sure some people would be unhappy being misgendered and it's probably safer to use "they" rather than assume everyone is male. But it didn't bother me. :)

Also I was wincing at MYself watching those pauses and plays, so we were both cringing a little. ;) I feel the same about the meteorite - that deck certainly likes removal, but doesn't need the ramp/fixing. I think I'd have been better off just putting in another big creature instead. In our games I was definitely wishing I had one or two more of those.
phlip

Postby phlip » 27 Jul 2014, 15:36

Maddrius wrote:And sorry for all of the default "He" pronouns. I have tried to be better at this, but didn't catch myself until our game three. Watching the replay had me wincing at myself ...

Yeah, I caught myself doing that in my game against Juliamon... then stumble my way through a self-correction, and then probably kept doing it and just didn't notice again...

I'm pretty bad with that. In text I've gotten at least moderately good at noticing, and replacing "he" with "they" or whatever, before I click "submit"... but you don't have that buffer period when speaking aloud, and I haven't gotten into the habit of catching myself yet...

[he/him/his]

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”