Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Under_Score » 02 Aug 2014, 20:59

Just gonna throw my deck up here. Didn't do that great with it (1-2). It just could never quite get there against all the removal, and was very sensitive to me flooding or getting screwed. As far as drafting it, I was in black/green (mostly black) in pack one, and I saw some hints that red was open. Then, in pack two, I quickly moved into red, eventually replacing black when I got the Kird Chieftain. Which... I feel like it worked as best it could at that point? But again, it just couldn't seem to get anywhere.

http://imgur.com/a/4Zmlz
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
whatthebus
First Video: Rapidfire S2E1

Postby whatthebus » 02 Aug 2014, 22:53

That's rough, Under_Score. Seems like a pretty good deck. Maybe a little light on top end. I would have seriously considered splashing the vampire and stab wound, but that's me. :P
In this moment, I'm not a huge fan of whatthebus.
-Graham Stark
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 02 Aug 2014, 23:06

The stab wound definitely was sitting in my main board for awhile. I just couldn't feel justified in pulling out two cards (one for the stab wound and one for the second verdant haven) to have an overall less consistent deck. On an iffy splash, I generally always fall on the side of just staying 2 color for that reason.
whatthebus

Postby whatthebus » 02 Aug 2014, 23:15

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the right choice, but it is the fun choice. You wouldn't need 2 verdant havens for that splash, though. 1 and a swamp for 1 pip seems fine. 2 swamps and a haven for stab wound and the vampire.
-Graham Stark
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 03 Aug 2014, 11:49

I had Doc (from sgdoc Twitch MTGO streaming fame) look over my deck last night on his stream and he felt like I could have made only two minor changes to it being dropping the Moss Beast for a Reclamation Sage and possibly the Thundering Giant for another Crowd's Favor. Someone who streams as much as him giving the green light for about 90% of my deck was a nice boost to my draft confidence.

Worth was just not kind to me last night.

ING SHUFFLER.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
metalupis
First Video: Dester Bus 6

Postby metalupis » 04 Aug 2014, 07:46

this was my first fan draft, had a good time, managed to go 2-1 due to some very bad luck on Dix's part

here is my deck, not horrible but I'm sure it could have been better as well, https://i.imgur.com/tKGyxDP.png

my only complaint is that in all the games I played i never saw my Nightfire Giant
mikesmith916
First Video: Bagel Time blew my mind.

Postby mikesmith916 » 05 Aug 2014, 21:06

I hope to join all of you this weekend. I just started playing MTGO and am still figuring it out.
Karnasis
First Video: Paul

Postby Karnasis » 06 Aug 2014, 11:07

mikesmith916 wrote:I hope to join all of you this weekend. I just started playing MTGO and am still figuring it out.

Cool, we love to see more lrr fan faces at these drafts, and at the rate we`re growing we`ll be firing 2 pods consistently and possibly a 3rd :)
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 09 Aug 2014, 18:46

With the advent of the saturday stream, I've decided to create a LRR Fan Draft Chat in twitch so we don't clog up the main chat with our magic talk.

Please leave your twitch username below if you plan on participating in a future fan draft and I (or someone else in the LRR Fan Draft Chat) will invite you in. Please invite people you know will/would participate to this chat if you know their twitch name and have already been invited yourself.
Karnasis
First Video: Paul

Postby Karnasis » 09 Aug 2014, 19:30

Karnasis_mtg, for twitch chat.

Onto what I call my deck Phaildraft M15

It felt like a fine deck, picked up nice sideboard cards, was hoping I might get an ensoul artifact for those ornothopters but alas I did not. What I did get was a steaming pile of crap from mtgo. Game 1 went okish (Bitera got mana screwed after a big mull) and then Game 2 I got mana screwed, and same on game 3.

Round 2 vs Jondare.... mana flood mana flood

Round 3 vs Arakasi01... mana flood mana flood.

I'm aware I had a bit too much mana ramp but when I keep a hand with 5 mana and 2 spells and then draw mana, mana, mana, mana, spell, mana, mana, mana, mana, scoop 4 games in a row I ended up a bit tilty....
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 09 Aug 2014, 19:53

http://imgur.com/4SK2FSd

Went UB control! The first round against drco0l was knock-down, drag-out madness. Strong sideboard tech, which then I completely forgot to use in G3 (you will yell at the screen if you watch), but I managed to pull out the victory anyway. In the end I managed to go 3-0!

I streamed it on http://www.twitch.tv/notomtolose2/profi ... broadcasts , separate streams for draft and each round. It was fun! [EDIT: Upon review, I sound like a huge jerk in R1! Basically, at any point I was under pressure, I started to tilt out and speak rudely. Really just spitting out whatever thoughts ran through my head. I thought about deleting the replay, but it's just as well to leave it as a bad example, and it's still an interesting game. Just a disclaimer: Not proud of R1 on any level. Good day.]
Last edited by notomtolose on 11 Aug 2014, 06:03, edited 3 times in total.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 09 Aug 2014, 19:56

Here's my deck - UB, more aggressive than controlly. Won the first two rounds more due to opponent's mana screw than my own deck being amazing, then lost the finals against NoTomToLose playing a better version of my deck.

Videos uploading to YouTube now.

[edit] fixed deck link
Last edited by phlip on 09 Aug 2014, 20:22, edited 2 times in total.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
whatthebus

Postby whatthebus » 09 Aug 2014, 19:57

http://i.imgur.com/bbfRlYT.jpg
Finally didn't draft black! 2-1, deck played really well through the first 2 rounds, then ground to a bit of a halt in r3. Can't draw like a champ every game, I suppose. Although, I'd really like to. :P
-Graham Stark
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 09 Aug 2014, 20:10

Don't know how to share the deck screenshot, but it was a UR artifacts deck with a minor goblin sub-theme/goblin wincon. Went 3-0, only game I lost was in round 1, though round 3 was a hard-fought victory in both games
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 09 Aug 2014, 20:17

That looks super solid, whatthebus! Small wonder you almost took it down.

Whoa whoa whoa, Phlip!! Four Spirits? And the Tormentor?! That is completely nuts. We definitely had the opposite versions of UB in the format; honestly I think yours is stronger overall but has a bad matchup against my deck specifically - like, all my cards exactly kill your cards. I can see why we matched up in the finals.

I'm not surprised we were the mirror, we were exactly on the opposite sides of the drafting table and our colours seemed pretty open. I wonder what everyone else played?
Last edited by notomtolose on 09 Aug 2014, 20:37, edited 2 times in total.
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 09 Aug 2014, 20:20

Notomtolose told me how to give my deck list, so here is my aforementioned deck. http://i.imgur.com/UdwtSBl.png?1
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 09 Aug 2014, 20:48

So, after my first 3-0 last week, only managed 1-2 this week.

Opened Garruk, and ended up trying to force BG, which didn't work quite so well. I was fairly happy with my black, but should have grabbed some of the red or blue that I saw go by. Wound up with this:

Deck:

Sideboard:

I didn't read Necromancer's Stockpile correctly, so that ended up being a dead card in a thin deck. Round one went well, and had two close matches in round's two and three. Unfortunately faced some fierce competition and couldn't quite get there.

Draft Vid: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/4870646

Round one: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/4870691
Round two: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/4870762
Round three: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/4870805

Thanks to my opponents for the games! (Arakasi01, WhatTheBus, Under_Score)
Maddrius

Postby Maddrius » 09 Aug 2014, 21:00

@WhatTheBus: Nice deck! No wonder our games played the way they did :- )

(Also, Two Sunblade Elves in that deck? And a Hornet Queen?!)

@NoTomToLose, @Phlip: Bwah! How did you both wind up with such good UB decks in the same pod?

Notomtolose, so much removal!
Phlip, so much evasion!
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 09 Aug 2014, 22:25

Well I guess we both recorded it, so you're welcome to watch and find out! :)

As I mentioned, we were on the exact opposite sides of the draft 'table' as it were, and the wider consensus seems to be that U and B are the weaker colours in the set, so I guess nobody else took much from them? All I know is I got passed a 5th-pick Ulcerate and basically never looked back. :)

Maddrius, watching your draft, it seemed like you got passed some really solid green but kept talking yourself out of it; I guess because it wasn't coming consistently enough. IMO, the big signal was when the Siege Wurm came back to you 10th pick! The wurm is easily first-pickable, so I would say that's definitely time to commit.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 09 Aug 2014, 23:16

WHO PASSES AN ULCERATE TO 5TH PICK!?!
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 10 Aug 2014, 02:14

Welp, I guess I'm not going to be able to do Fan Drafts from now on. Work schedule has pretty much boiled down to working nights on the weekends.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 10 Aug 2014, 06:40

Dix, according to my draft video, it was mrphlip, cyberxxl, quarternote and schmuckofalltrades. So that's who. :)

Checking out MrPhlip's video, they took Spirit Bonds (mrphlips P1P1), Ancient Silverback, Borderland Marauder and Oreskos Swiftclaw out of it, probably trying to match colours with their 1st/2nd/3rd picks.

Coincidentally, the next pack Phlip got passed had the Tormentor (his obvious pick), Stab Wound, Ulcerate AND an Accursed Spirit. I only got the Spirit, so two of those same three players speculated on a black card, I guess because the G and W in the pack were pretty weak (the other one took Inferno Fist).

Sorry to hear that, Lurkon! I hope that switches up for you again, soon.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 10 Aug 2014, 07:45

notomtolose wrote:Sorry to hear that, Lurkon! I hope that switches up for you again, soon.

I'm pretty sure it'll be that way for the rest of the year. Ah well.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Maddrius

Postby Maddrius » 10 Aug 2014, 11:32

@NoTomToLose: Sitting down to watch yours and Phlip's videos now!

Regarding my draft: Appreciate the feedback, and agree that I waffled my way out of some better picks. I think your comment about the green not being more "consistent" as a cause for my indecision is spot on, so I will need to think about that some more.

I keep forgetting that convoke is a thing, and when I saw the Siege Wurm I thought "I need lower drops", instead of just picking the best card and worrying about my curve in latter packs. *Sigh*. Also, looking back at the video, I passed that primadon (twice) thinking I didn't have enough EOB effects, after passing two of the draw-a-card shamans. Definitely need to revisit my card valuation ...

Oh well, more grist for the learning mill!

@Lurkon: Sorry to hear! I know that Lord Hosk and the mods wound up setting a standard time because people were getting confused when this thing was still getting going, but perhaps an alt day might be possible sometime soon for those who can't make Saturday night/Sunday early AM. Or perhaps we can organize a friendly match day sometime outside of the fan draft ...
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 10 Aug 2014, 14:34

So, here's my deck from last night. It was... solid enough, with some decent swarm tactics, though no trip spirits which would've really brought it the power level it needed. As it was, Haunted Platemail was my bomb. :/ Still, managed to go 2-1, only losing to Omnicrat's goblins. I'm sure luck played a significant role in some of my victories.

http://imgur.com/a/VUmOL

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”