Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Lord Hosk » 16 Aug 2014, 20:38

We fan drafted, we got THREE pods.

Here is my deck

all my matches were kind of "Watch opponent get land screwed and win" sometimes I won that way sometimes my opponents won that way. I think I only had two "real" games.

My opponents were fun though.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 16 Aug 2014, 21:21

Holy crap Hosk... your deck is quite ridiculous.. I'm surprised I didn't see half those cards. I went 2-1 losing to Hosk in the finals. I didn't time out tonight! And my stream went incredibly well thanks to my new Blue Yeti microphone I picked up last week. I'll be putting it on YouTube sometime tomorrow I think.

I called this UW Flyers deck "One Good Tern Deserves Another". Name came thanks to my dad as I was telling him about MTG last weekend when we went to Vancouver.

One Good Tern Deserves Another - Click to Expand
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 16 Aug 2014, 23:51

Here's my 2-1 achieving R/U minor-artifact go-getter of a deck. Won some fairly quick games against Lee and Maddrius, then got pretty handily defeated by Omnicrat. I got a little mana-screwed after a one-land keep and he just rushed out his Engine of Doom Scuttles. So, I doubt I would've stood much chance anyways. Still, fun as always. Hope to be back next week.

http://imgur.com/a/DcpE2

Edit: Oh, I forgot I took a screenshot of this wonderful snap-mull: http://i.imgur.com/4k4WJcQ.jpg
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 17 Aug 2014, 12:30

"Creatures: The Deck":

http://imgur.com/okYz7OC

I highlighted the draft and the two closest rounds this time. They were both incredibly close and came down to the very last turn.

http://www.twitch.tv/notomtolose2/profile
Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 17 Aug 2014, 19:25

notomtolose wrote:"Creatures: The Deck":

http://imgur.com/okYz7OC

I highlighted the draft and the two closest rounds this time. They were both incredibly close and came down to the very last turn.

http://www.twitch.tv/notomtolose2/profile

I've found looking at that replay really helpful in understanding where I go wrong, so thanks for linking that. Especially useful since I foolishly thought you had to discard the Sadist to blow something up, and I also thought foolishly again, that since I killed one of your creatures on the double block I'd somehow get a +1/+1 counter before I died.

Still got lots of room for improvement.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Aug 2014, 20:07

I dont want to step on anyones toes, if anyone would like advice I would be happy to take a look at your decks or drafta and let you know what I think. Im by no means an expert but sometimes a outside eye can help.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 17 Aug 2014, 20:55

Here I thought you were just next-levelling me, making the Sadist too big for me to deal with instead of taking the tempo hit and using all that mana every turn. It certainly paid off once the thing got lifelink!

Watching back your own play is a great way to improve. I know I saw some mistakes of my own that match when I watched it back. Glad I could make that available to you.

Hosk, I'm always up for criticism, even though I think my draft went well! You don't have to, though. :)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 17 Aug 2014, 22:13

Your first mistake was playing me NoTomToLose, I didnt see any play mistakes in our game, a couple of things I would have done differently but not mistakes and nothing that would have changed the way the games played out I dont think.

As for your draft you said a lot of things I was thinking. There were some really strong packs like a solid rare, two good uncommons and three great commons in each of like 6 of our tables first packs. Black was open I was just waiting for someone else to move into it, every time I have tried to move I have gotten burned.

I disagree with your choice on the white walls, both really, you could have taken the sage or the rhino over the first one and Golum or a cut over the second one. In your final deck I think you could have cut one or even both walls for the titanic Growth or even one of the solemn offerings, I know you had them in for the convoke but I think you had enough.

I also dont think that the Kird chieftan is worth the splash, a couple times in our match you said "well I have a mountain but I would prefer..." You had to the mountain two wilds and the ape, you were devoting 4 cards to getting that one out, I know the wilds also serves the purpose of thining the deck and fetching for your double color spells but I think titanic growth over him with two plains and a forest would have worked just as well.

[–]Graham_LRR
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 17 Aug 2014, 23:02

I don't have a video, but you're welcome to comment on my deck, Lord Hosk. I'm not so great on commenting on other people's or giving out advice, so I don't feel like I deserve anything back. I just like posting it up for people who are curious. That said, I always do appreciate what thoughts people can gleam from the deck alone. Also, not sure if it helps, but Maddrius and Phlip were both directly to my right and do have videos. I also played Maddrius Round 2.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 18 Aug 2014, 02:27

I'll take any deck-building criticism I can get, but I think I'm far more solid in that than I am in actually playing.
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 18 Aug 2014, 06:20

Maddrius, I watched our match and had a couple thoughts.

1) Did you forget that Gather Courage has Convoke? You seemed to make sure to leave a forest up in G1 for it when you could've convoke'd it out with Wall of Mulch.

2) If you're on stream and replying to your opponent's chat, I've found that it's usually helpful to mention what they said or what you're saying(if you don't have chat on-screen) so that viewers don't just watch you type for however long.

3) It was probably wrong for me in G2 to not just block Boonweaver with my Lynx and take not-lethal, because I showed you Devouring Light unnecessarily.

4) I probably would have held the Raise the Alarm until seeing whether or not the Seraph was tapped, as it's two extra surprise damage if it's not tapped.

5) I definitely didn't miss any openings for. I just had to do what I could with what I had after my mull to 5. Also, as I was dead to any way i blocked at the end there, I just wanted to kill that stupid angel :)
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 18 Aug 2014, 08:46

@hascow: Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, completely forgot about the convoke on gather courage. For some reason I've had problems keeping that in mind, even though under_score caught me out with a similar play convoking ephemerial shields last week.

And I definitely wasn't doing a good job of keeping up commentary in general this week. A lot of bad radio all around. I do intentionally keep in-game chat off screen, partially because I think I'm pretty boring in my game chat, but mostly because even though I've chosen to stream, my opponents may not want their comments broadcast. But you have an excellent point, I can do a much better job in summarizing/explaining the jist of the interaction, rather than just ignore the stream while I type out war and peace for 10 minutes in game chat ...

I think I was more worried about using up mana with the raise the alarm, but I like your point about surprise damage. I could probably be using them in more creative ways in general.

And sorry about my general commentary there in our last game. I was worried when you didn't block the boonweaver, even though you had an answer for the angel that turn. I also think the turn-to-frog block was a funny/ignoble end for the other angel!

Thanks again for the feedback, and for taking the time to watch the re-play!

I'm definitely open to general feedback on the stream, or my drafting/playing decisions.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 18 Aug 2014, 10:21

Thanks Hosk!

Myself, I would always play at least 2 Evolving Wilds in any 2-colour deck. They're basically guildgates that thin your deck. The chance of being punished by a couple of tapped lands is way less than the chance of losing to colour screw. Our first game together demonstrated both, and the colour screw was definitely much worse!

As for the Chieftain, I think it's bonkers and if I wasn't sure myself, Channel Fireball rated it the #3 non-rare in the set, just below Triplicate Spirits and just above Stoke the Flames. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. :)
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Aug 2014, 12:45

NoTomtolose I think Chieftain is strong, I think splashing for his activation in a red deck is worth doing all day, but not the flip side.

Arakasi I think your top end is a little heavy, that being said the only thing in your sideboard I would include would be the second obedience or the third vampire, and I wouldnt recommend those, you had a solid deck with how much black was going around you might have been able to just drop the green altogether but im not sure how things were looking from your spot. You dont have the cards for mono black, but you are like 2 away.

Underscore much like with Arakasi's deck yours is solid and I dont know what I would bring in. I see a lot of good non-creatures in your sideboard and I wonder if you might have taken them over ok creatures. Its hard to pass something like a turn to frog and take something unexciting like a Coral Barrier, Welkin Tern, Kinsbaile Skirmisher, or Midnight Guard, but I think thats what your deck is lacking. Void snare, Marked by honor congregate and solemn offering are all good cards but I wouldnt put any of those in the deck, I would find room for a 2/3 or a 2/1 flyer though. I was surprised by how much better my decks perform with 16 vrs 14 creatures.

[–]Graham_LRR
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 18 Aug 2014, 20:50

Throughout the week, I will be posting occasional reminders (or just this one, depending on how many people respond to it) to post your twitch name in the comments below if you want to be added to the (unofficial) LRR Fan Draft chat. A nice place to discuss the draft and games without interrupting any streams that or going on or having the magic conversation be lost in the flood of on-topic stream discussion.

Once invited to the chat, click the purple lines near the word chat on twitch tv to accept your invitation. This is also how you get to the chat when Saturday rolls around.

Note: If you were invited last week, unless you accidentally clicked the X for the LRR Fan Draft group chat, you do not need to post your twitch user name or be re-invited.

So as not to double-post, Hosk, if you see anything worth noting about my two decks I've posted (this weeks or lasts) I would appreciate the input. Feel a bit odd asking since they both 3-0ed, but still, there is always room to improve.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Aug 2014, 21:31

AdmiralMemo, and I don't know if I ever got invited yet.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 18 Aug 2014, 21:42

I mostly use IRC, but I can't figure out how the alt chat channels are set up (twitch chat is all IRC under the hood).
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 19 Aug 2014, 01:11

korvys wrote:I mostly use IRC, but I can't figure out how the alt chat channels are set up (twitch chat is all IRC under the hood).

It's quite a pain... the chatrooms feature is pretty new, and they don't have a real way to get into it yet... you have to connect to a different chat server, and join a weird channel name.
Detailed instructions - Click to Expand
  1. Go to http://chatdepot.twitch.tv/room_memberships?oauth_token=[KEY HERE], putting in your OAuth key (ie the password you use to connect to the IRC, but without the oauth: prefix).
  2. Copy-paste the resulting block of text to something like this to make it easier to read.
  3. You'll get a block of text like this, for each chat room you have access to.
  4. The important parts are "irc_channel" and "servers"... for instance, in that screenshot, you would have to connect to 199.9.248.248 on port 80, and join #_omnicrat_1407637069536. Trying to join that channel on the usual irc.twitch.tv server will not work. Just like the real server, though, you still need to connect using your twitch name as the nick, and oauth:[key] as the server password.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
korvys

Postby korvys » 19 Aug 2014, 03:27

Oh, ok, so they're linked to the person who made them. Interesting. Well, fiddly it might be, but once it set up Hexchat should do all the work. Thanks.

keybase.io
Dix

Postby Dix » 19 Aug 2014, 06:56

Hey guys, I wouldn't mind people evaluating both my deck (posted above) and my draft... of which I've now got video of it up on YouTube!

Dix Drafts! LRR FanDraft draft video
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Aug 2014, 15:50

Your sound was really bad, the noise cancellation kept muting you over and over.

I think you nailed the picks though. I would have cut dissipate for the tern. your deck was super agro probably dont want to hold up three mana when you could be dropping another two damage.

[–]Graham_LRR
Dix

Postby Dix » 19 Aug 2014, 17:02

Yeah... it was the first time using my new mic so I need to play around with it quite a bit more to get the settings on it tweaked how I would want it. I could mess with the gain on the mic and see if that helps at all.

As for the picks, after Spectra Ward P1P1 and the Master of Predicaments coming to me P1P2, the UW fliers deck kind of just fell in my lap. There are a few picks I probably would have wanted back (maybe picking up one of the two or three Pathmages I saw at one point even with the evasion my deck did have and maybe the Juggernaut), but other than those, I just went with what fit the deck's angle best. Funniest part: I don't think I played (or even saw) that Dissipate once the entire night.
Arakasi

Postby Arakasi » 19 Aug 2014, 18:14

Arakasi01

I know you added me last time, but it seems to have disappeared.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 19 Aug 2014, 20:13

Both Memo and Arakasi have been invited/reinvided.

Throughout the week, I will be posting occasional reminders (or just this one, depending on how many people respond to it) to post your twitch name in the comments below if you want to be added to the (unofficial) LRR Fan Draft chat. A nice place to discuss the draft and games without interrupting any streams that or going on or having the magic conversation be lost in the flood of on-topic stream discussion.

Once invited to the chat, click the purple lines near the word chat on twitch tv to accept your invitation. This is also how you get to the chat when Saturday rolls around.

Note: If you were invited last week, unless you accidentally clicked the X for the LRR Fan Draft group chat, you do not need to post your twitch user name or be re-invited.
korvys

Postby korvys » 19 Aug 2014, 20:36

See, this wouldn't even be needed if Adam wasn't streaming all the bussing time. :P

keybase.io

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”