Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Maddrius » 06 Sep 2014, 20:09

2-1 This week. Felt the draft actually went well this week (although the colour signals in our pod were all over the place!), but it played a little inconsistent for an aggro deck.

Deck:

Sideboard:

Replays:

Draft and Deckbuilding: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/5077606

Round One (ElementalAlchemist): http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/5077644
Round Two (Samoth606): http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/5077667
Round Three (JWiley129): http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/5077678

Thanks again to my opponents, and those folks who stopped by during the stream!
Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 06 Sep 2014, 20:22

AdmiralMemo wrote:0-3

I suck at this game, but at least I had fun and it felt fair this time.

I watched your drafting, here's my thoughts:
-Taking a Citadel over another two goblin options seemed bad
-Since you were so heavy aggro, taking the vampire might have been better than the child.
-Since you were going practically mono-goblin, taking the Obelisk of Urd would have been VALUE. Thanks for not taking it though, I got it =P
-With the Urd, taking the enforcer would have been even more value than a green card you weren't going to play.
-When you take Generator servant, I think you have to ask what you're generating in to. Miner's bane might have been better.
-Since you were mono-red with no second colour choice, taking the blue rare was probably bad. You had a Satyr and Ranger's guile as options, which could have comboed well with the Phytotitan.
-Again not taking a goblin, probably should've taken the Restock or Titanic Growth
-Taking a Mind Rot over the Miner's Bane was probably also a bad idea.
-Taking a leeching sliver over a sideboard card is probably bad.
-Taking another Phytotitan would have done well with green plan.
-Taking Covenant of Blood over another Scrapyard was probably a bad idea.
-Taking another titanic growth was an option.
-Living totem would have been good in the next pack
-Could have taken another Urd, though maybe not as valuable with the lesser amount of Goblins. Could have taken a Ranger's Guile though.
-At this point taking the spirit was right, but the denizen could have been good in another plan.
-Another Titanic Growth went past. probably the same one.

Cliff notes:
-Could have had a pretty damn good goblin deck with two Urds.
-You passed AMAZING green for low-end black.

I'm sure my drafting is just as bad, but keep in mind this is a post-hoc judgement, it's much easier to say what someone should have done than do it yourself.

If you don't appreciate the criticism, let me know. If you do, good.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Sep 2014, 20:36

I do appreciate the criticism. I would simply like to know why you would make those picks instead of what I did. "This is a bad idea." and "This would've been better than this." tells me nothing.

Also, the Mind Rot was a misclick, to be fair. I meant to take the Vampire.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 06 Sep 2014, 21:01

I can't necessarily help across all picks but I can offer a piece of advice, which is that in general, I think the biggest problem that I have seen in your drafts is just your card evaluation seems a bit shaky. May I ask, do you have a criteria that you use for card evaluation? It might benefit you to start using a different criteria to evaluate cards, or perhaps just more practice and experience with the cards.

There was a recent Limited Resources episode on quadrant theory, and a friend of mine who is a very established drafter found it really helpful to find his weaknesses in card evaluation in limited, so perhaps it might help you too.

In a nutshell, quadrant theory is a method for assessing cards by thinking about their relevance in 4 common stages of a game: how good is this card when developing my board? How good is this card when my opponent and I are at parity? How good is this card when I am winning and want to close out the game? How good is this card when I am losing to stabilize me and get me back in the game?

A decent rule of thumb is that the more quadrants a card is good in, the better the card is. Alternatively, if it is really excellent in one, even if it's weak in others it might be playable but then you'll be wanting to make sure you can take advantage of that. For example, lava axe is bad in 3 of the quadrants but is excellent when you're winning, so you'll only want it in a deck where you're confident you can do a lot of damage in the early game and need a way to shut the door on your opponent.

Not sure how much that will help you, but it might be worth considering since I think your biggest problem is card evaluation. I'm not sure how helpful it will be to break down each card for you, compared to trying different tools for you to assess cards yourself.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 06 Sep 2014, 21:54

Next week, I swear to god I'm not gonna drink and draft. Seriously guys. Friends don't let friends drink and draft. I played so loose tonight and made many many misclicks and a few misplays that probably could have helped me win some games that I lost but oh well! I had fun but really felt my deck could have done better had I not borked it up.

Anyway, here's the deck!
Jund-em Wing - Click to Expand

And here's a video of my draft on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xEbI6jy7cE
Round 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6rGw6H-23M
Round 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgIm6EA35uQ
Round 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIULh8hPzjk
Last edited by Dix on 06 Sep 2014, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 06 Sep 2014, 21:57

Yeah, I don't really listen to Limited Resources. Tell LRR to stop streaming so bussing much and maybe I can take some time to listen to LR (and catch up on 10 months of podcasts, Feed Dumps, and Unskippables). Either that, or figure out a way where I don't need to sleep, or maybe don't need to work.

I was told by Hosk to not take so many high drops, so I've been prioritizing low drops. Have I been misled?
I'm also trying to look at what colors seem decent based on my first few picks, and then just take cards in those colors, unless the cards left in those colors are terrible. If that happens, I try to take a good card in another color, either to move into that color or to cut someone else out of a good card. So I was taking red after my first few picks, and when red seemed to dry up a bit, I wasn't sure whether to move into black or white, which I'd picked up a few cards in each just randomly. It was only when I got a Nightfire Giant that I just went all-in on the black plan.

Other than that, I've been taking the card that seems like the best pick to me, for the most part. If a card will have an effect when it comes down, or an interaction with other cards, I tend to take it. For example, I took the Shrapnel Blast because I had a couple of artifacts already.

One thing that also might make my evaluation "shaky" is the fact that I'm always bussing tired when I do these fan drafts, since they're always so bussing late. Add to that the fact that tonight, I was semi-distracted by the argument in the chat and my mind wasn't completely on the cards.

But, in any case, even though I lost, I had fun, which is the main thing I cared about. Late Journey era, I was not having fun and was losing. M15, I'm having fun, pretty much, win or lose.

Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 06 Sep 2014, 22:50

Prioritizing low-drops is always a good plan, but of course you don't want to get stuck having nothing to close out the game later, so a few powerful high drops plus a lot of effective low drops is where you ideally want to be.

Also I don't blame you for not listening to Limited Resources; that's why I gave the "in a nutshell" synopsis. Different things work for different people, I was just offering a suggestion of a tool that might help you improve because you said help was welcome. Sorry if it was inappropriate/unwarranted.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 06 Sep 2014, 23:05

Well Marshall also wrote up quadrant theory as an article, if that works better for you: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2014-08-20
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 06 Sep 2014, 23:43

Here's my deck from the night. P1P1 Garruk kind of drove my colors, even though I really tried to avoid forcing it, I swear. Anyways, he did good work the couple times I got him out, and I managed to 2-1. I only barely lost in the last round with my opponent under 1 minute on the clock. I was super distracted all that game as I've been overlapping these drafts with my online gaming group (a terrible idea, I know, but I've managed to get away with it without too much trouble). There were a few misplays made and I forgot we were in game 3 when I let him attack in for lethal. But ah well, I think I did pretty well despite my uncertainty in the draft/deckbuilding.

http://imgur.com/a/ByY4r
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Sep 2014, 02:00

No, Duck, it's fine. You always get too worried about offending me, when I am very difficult to offend. Be blunt with me, as that's how I communicate with and understand other people. Thanks for your opinion.

I'm trying to improve my game, as the fan draft is about the only time I get to socialize with other people.

Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 07 Sep 2014, 04:19

AdmiralMemo wrote: "This would've been better than this." tells me nothing.

Also, the Mind Rot was a misclick, to be fair. I meant to take the Vampire.

Firstly, unless you're going Ensoul plan, have Scrapyard Mongrels, the Citadel isn't worth taking over another goblin, when you've already got a few of them, and you're aggro red.

Secondly, since you are aggro red, the black you have should either support that or support the other end in case you can't get them early. A 4/2 possible flier would probably be better than a Child of Night considering you had so many early drops.

Thirdly, Mind Rot doesn't tend to be great in draft, much better to have a card that interacts in a non-random way, like the Miner's Bane. Though honestly I'm not entirely sure, I'm basically mimicing what I've observed with that card.

Fourthly, unless your running some amount of slivers, leeching sliver is not worth playing on its own.

Fifthly, you had the citadel in deck, so a Scrapyard Mongrel would have gotten in far better than a Covenant of Blood (a very expensive card)

And those are the ones I didn't explain. I hoped that helped, and if anyone thinks I'm wrong, feel free to let me know.
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 10 Sep 2014, 11:07

Thought: With the special Community Cup events this weekend in tandem with the Community Cup itself, do we want to join that instead?

It's an hour later than the usual fandrafts, but it's a very different format that could be really fun(although it should be very goofy). I'm going to be joining it regardless with at least one other Runner, so it'd be neat to get some additional friendly faces in there.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Sep 2014, 12:22

Seems neat. Despite being even later than usual, which is worse for me, I could support it.

Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 13 Sep 2014, 08:55

Well, I'm tentatively signed up for that weird sealed tonight. My gaming group would make a normal draft too difficult, but hopefully it'll be done by the sealed.
hascow

Postby hascow » 13 Sep 2014, 09:12

Weird Sealed tonight is: 7th Edition, Urza's Saga, Apocalypse, Ravnica City of Guilds, Future Sight, Rise of the Eldrazi, Return to Ravnica, Modern Masters
Under_Score

Postby Under_Score » 13 Sep 2014, 09:39

Wow, Modern Masters actually won? That means someone could get double tarmogoyf in their pool. "Good" thing it's Phantom.
hascow

Postby hascow » 13 Sep 2014, 11:05

I'm disappointed in the lack of Holiday Cube.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 13 Sep 2014, 11:53

So is it the standard draft? M15 Swiss, wait to fire? It's the first opportunity I've had to join in, so I'd want to be sure of what I'm actually doing.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 13 Sep 2014, 15:41

Wait, wait, wait. Are we doing the fan draft tonight or this monstrosity sealed thing? The monstrosity sealed thing could be fun...
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Sep 2014, 15:45

I'm game for the Sealed. Unless it becomes the Fan event tonight, I might end up skipping the Fan Draft.

Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 13 Sep 2014, 15:47

I think skipping a fandraft one week for a fansupersealed is fine. One pod of the fan draft might still fire, but we can start to branch out our fan events.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Sep 2014, 15:49

Do we have enough to branch out?

Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 13 Sep 2014, 15:51

We consistently fill 2 pods. We could EASILY go over to that for one week.
hascow

Postby hascow » 13 Sep 2014, 16:29

well, the supersealed fits 256 people and is a scheduled event, not a queue. I think people who want to do either can do whichever they want. If people want to draft, they can draft. If they want to do this monstrosity, they can.
whatthebus
First Video: Rapidfire S2E1

Postby whatthebus » 13 Sep 2014, 19:25

2-1 with "A Master Short of a Rabble" http://imgur.com/0SYwKJ8
Faced Notomtolose in round one with a G/B graveyard deck. T1 Swamp. 'Please no rats... welp' T2 Forest. 'I'm boned' And I was. Probably should have mulliganed more aggressively, but it may not have helped too much.
Rounds 2 and 3 against JakeWaffleman and Drigien went very similarly with a hasty Hoarding Dragon turn 3 doing a lot of work.
I haven't ridden the mono-red train before; it was pretty fun.
In this moment, I'm not a huge fan of whatthebus.
-Graham Stark

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”