Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Omnicrat » 05 Oct 2014, 22:08

admiralmemo, we were waiting, and then you said something confirmatory a little later which we took to mean you were back.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 06 Oct 2014, 00:51

I saw after the fact that there was a Fan Draft, so although I didn't get to participate, I did get to see (most of) Dix vs. CaffeinatedLemur. I also joined a draft after that by myself. Ended up 0-3.
Dix
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Dix » 07 Oct 2014, 16:22

I went Murica and actually quite enjoyed it. Tons of punts and misplays (I'll be posting my vids from the past weekend probably on Friday to youtube) but tons of fun.

Went 2-1 (had 2nd round bye) and played the Lemur in Round 3. Was quite fun.

Deckname - Jeskai, stop trying to make Fetch happen - Click to Expand
Desert Bus 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 9 Chat mod
Desert Bus 007 and 8 Onsite Chat Mod
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Postby Omnicrat » 11 Oct 2014, 15:04

Hosk, remember to edit this to be Khans draft, not m15.
whatthebus
First Video: Rapidfire S2E1

Postby whatthebus » 11 Oct 2014, 19:28

http://imgur.com/a/42hN7 Today's adventure: Valuetown, USA.
Opened Delta in pack 1 and Sorin in Pack 2. Got passed the first Dig because Karnasis had PC issues, but then in Pack 2 got passed another at 7th pick?
Deck played really well, and was able to fight through most mana issues, but zerragonos/teravon's warrior deck was bonkers good, and crazy fast.
In this moment, I'm not a huge fan of whatthebus.
-Graham Stark
Karnasis
First Video: Paul

Postby Karnasis » 11 Oct 2014, 19:54

Utilitarian: Because blue is op in this format.... and no don't ask why I'm super salty right now :P

Anyway, he's my sultai phail deck... worked 2 times out of 8 games..... and lets just move on (come on next year when we can no longer draft KtK with anything on mtgo)

http://i.imgur.com/Hn4Eve2.jpg
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Oct 2014, 20:16

So I played cantwearhats round one and got SUPER lucky to beat him.

Got blown out by my deck performing as expected round two

round three I played against Adam Sabadabadingdong.

Game one my 7 had 1 land, my 6 5 and 4 each had NO LAND, my 3 was all land. and then I flooded out.

Game two I was on the back foot the whole time. Then I got the monastery so that I could get down my Jeski Ascendency with Icy blast in hand. I top decked Chief of the edge but I didnt have a swamp. I cast the icy blast triggering the ascendency so I draw... A SWAMP. I drop it down and swing for 12, which would be lethal. So Adam Cast burn away and kills my morph which makes me hit for 10. He then takes MY chief and hits me so hard it inverts my life total! He hit me to -20!

I just couldnt seem to get anything going with my draft :(

Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 11 Oct 2014, 20:23

Well, wound up 1-2.

Did not feel that I did a great job drafting this week, but I managed to play some great three-game slugging matches with Jondare and CantWearHats anyway, before summarily getting run over by Bainard in the last round.

(Game three with CantWearHats was particularly weird/wild).

Deck:

SideBoard:

Replays:

Draft and Deckbuilding

Round One (vs. Jondare)
Round Two (vs. CantWeatHats)
Round Three (vs. Bainard)

Thanks again to my opponents, and to those who stopped by to chat!

Will try to do better in future outings :- )
Dix

Postby Dix » 11 Oct 2014, 22:10

I went 2-1 with my Abzan that probably could have outlasted the Mardu tokens in the final had I just had a little more time. I went with a main deck of 19 creatures and 4 non-creature spells and just had a glut of Morphs and other pretty synergistic Abzan deck. I had some insane games and won Round 1 on a F2/F6 battle at the very end of Game 3 winning with only 11 seconds on the clock:
WHAT EVEN HAPPENED HERE - Click to Expand

So here's the crazy deck named by someone from the chat as Armed and Dangerous. The All-star was the dual Armament Corps. It was SO helpful with the counter lords.

Armed and Dangerous Main and Sideboard - Click to Expand
Karnasis
First Video: Paul

Postby Karnasis » 12 Oct 2014, 04:08

Filed for reimbursement due to my client crashing, so at least I have another 2 drafts should I so choose (between the sick value I got out of the draft and my entry fee)

Depending how I feel I may or may not join you guys next week, but KtK is not the best set for me right now. And I do realize that the only way for me to get better at it is to draft it more but if the Pro's are having a hard time then I am not sure how the average player is supposed to muddle through lol.

Anyway, we'll see how I feel about it next Saturday
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Oct 2014, 04:45

I suspected this might happen. Its very difficult to figure out what colors are open.

My draft last night was abysmal I couldnt figure out until pack three if I was Mardu or Juski and even then I ended up weakly in 4 colors. Until I gave up and said "I need to focus" Abzan was a player into pack 2. I had a lot of red and white but my black and blue were as strong either my white or red in the 4-5 cards of each. It was a mess and the only fixing I was seeing was green.

In my in person draft I picked a clan in pack one and just stuck with it hard and went 3-1. In my drafts online twice I went hard into abzan pack one and just kept going. But in the 8-4 I did I changed pack two but then just stuck with it from there.

Even though that worked out for me I think your best bet is figure out your clan in the first 5 or 6 picks, prioritize fixing for the rest of pack one and value it highly in pack two.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
whatthebus

Postby whatthebus » 12 Oct 2014, 07:29

I respectfully disagree. I think this is a very easy set to get "hooked" in draft. I try to stay in one or two colors, preferably enemy pairs, for as long as possible so if I see a powerful 3-color spell later on I will be more likely to play it. Picking a clan early and going in whole hog is going to be high variance depending on what's open at the table. You might end up with a very strong deck, or you might get entirely cut out in pack 2 and 3. Staying open might not lead to the strongest deck every time, but very rarely will it train-wreck.
-Graham Stark
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Oct 2014, 09:36

I think "getting cut" is less relevant in this set which is whats making it so hard to read the table. You are picking cards from three colors pretty equally rather than 1 with a light second you normally would.

I havent seen any color "closed off" even in pack three I will see a lot of variety because even if you have a Mardu and a Temur player to your left, you could still be getting plenty of white green and black because the temur player picks a blue card, the mardu player picks a red card...

I see a lot more variance in the packs themselves, like a pack can have nothing worth playing pick 4 but then you get to your 9th pick and the pack still has 5 strong cards in it. A lot more-so in this set than I have seen since I started drafting 3 years ago.

In the previous sets in pack one and two you would be down to "well this could go in but I hope I get something better" by pick 9 and 10 with some surprise late good stuff in pack three if you cut well. I find in Kahans im just as likely to get a choices for good cards 10th pick as I am 3rd.

[–]Graham_LRR
whatthebus

Postby whatthebus » 12 Oct 2014, 22:55

It's possible I'm too risk averse during the draft. It's done right by me so far, though, so I'm going to stick with it. But, as always, feel free to disregard everything I say.
-Graham Stark
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Oct 2014, 10:20

I disagree, you arent risk averse in your drafts at all you are just a crazy wild man, and it fails you every time so you are going to change.

[–]Graham_LRR
Dix

Postby Dix » 13 Oct 2014, 16:21

I just roll with it and I seem to do okay. I have basically ignored what colors are getting 'cut' now and just focus on what archetypes might exist from Pack 1 and then see what ISN'T showing up in Packs 2 and 3. That and I also kind of tunnel vision in on a strategy after about midway through pack 1. Sometimes you get rewarded for it.. kinda like last night when I did a stream and got this deck:(link to youtube video of my draft)

I punch bears and I know it. - Click to Expand
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 18 Oct 2014, 19:29

I went 2-1 with this.

For most draws, I was able to jump out quickly and stay ahead, but if I stumbled a bit, it was hard for me to get to where I needed to.
Arakasi
First Video: Uhh, no idea.

Postby Arakasi » 18 Oct 2014, 19:43

I went 1-2, very nearly 0-3 with this thing:

Which is weird, because I thought it'd do better.
And I thought the mythic would do more work than it did.

Oh well, ggs.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Oct 2014, 20:01

My deck

My sideboard

Mtgo crashed twice on me

Round one game two I failed to draw a green source in 9 draws even though they made up 1/4 of my deck.

Round two I flooded hard both games and my opponent just killed anything I got down.

Round four I had 6 land into no land down to a mull to three where I kept one land, drew a second off the top and that was it for the game, then it crashed on me and wouldnt let me reconnect.

Worst event of magic I have ever had.

[–]Graham_LRR
whatthebus

Postby whatthebus » 18 Oct 2014, 20:13

First picked an Ivorytusk Fortress in a weak pack and forced Abzan.
Played Schmuckofalltrades in round 1 who had a better Abzan deck. Then played Arakasi and Korvys in the next two rounds who were both Mardu, and sucked the blood out of them to end both matches. Round 3 was particularly interesting as Korvys had 2 Ponybacks, a Seeker of the Way, a Sage-eye Harrier, a Sultai Scavenger, War-name Aspirant, 6 goblins, a Chief of the Scale, and maybe something else when I sac'd 6 creatures to Kheru Bloodsucker to drain him for 12. In the end I had 4 seconds left on the clock.

*Edit* Korvys also had a Jeskai Student and a Mardu Hateblade on board.
-Graham Stark
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 18 Oct 2014, 20:27

My actual deck, seems good?

[–]Graham_LRR
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 18 Oct 2014, 20:35

The Deck - Click to Expand

The full stream: http://www.twitch.tv/notomtolose/b/579592910

I particularly recommend watching the draft portion, and if you plan to do so maybe save the rest of this post until later. I'll probably cut it into highlights. So much fun! At the end of the deckbuilding I felt compelled to cry out, "I REGRET NOTHING!!"

I call it "Sultai Gifts" because:
1. It is full of Gifts Ungiven-type effects.
2. All the nonrare gold cards in my deck came to me on the *wheel* except for one pick-four Sultai Charm
3. All the rares apart from the Lich Lord were passed to me, including not one but THREE fetchlands! Pay for my draft, you say? That is indeed a generous gift, thank you!

In the end (spoiler), I went 2-1. I lost to Adam's nutty deck in the second round (he went on to 3-0 of course), but overall the deck proved quite strong AND super fun to play.
notomtolose

Postby notomtolose » 18 Oct 2014, 20:44

Hosk, that deck looks super fun. I like the Grizzlies a lot better with Ascendancy, Growth and Corps to grow their toughness, plus Throne and Sorin to abuse their high power!

Also you totally deserved that banner I stuck you with last pick of the draft.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 19 Oct 2014, 05:40

I never even saw sorin much less cast him. I threw in the throne for some funsies, but I never even got close to anything with it. I cast growth twice, both times it was on my opponents creatures after I was DOB.

I think one time I had three+ creatures on board.

[–]Graham_LRR
Dix

Postby Dix » 19 Oct 2014, 11:43

Lord Hosk wrote:My deck

My sideboard

Mtgo crashed twice on me

Round one game two I failed to draw a green source in 9 draws even though they made up 1/4 of my deck.

Round two I flooded hard both games and my opponent just killed anything I got down.

Round four I had 6 land into no land down to a mull to three where I kept one land, drew a second off the top and that was it for the game, then it crashed on me and wouldnt let me reconnect.

Worst event of magic I have ever had.

#firstworldMTGOproblems

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”