Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Omnicrat
First Video: Loading Ready Run Premiers on Monday

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby Omnicrat » 01 Feb 2015, 14:32

Sarah wrote:Dammit you guys stop enabling me, I'd have to sell my boosters and spend more money on a token plus spend a big chunk of time...but I really like prereleases...

Sighhh maybe if I finish this cover letter/job app before you start I'll join in...

ETA Sarah? Also, just to be clear, FFF draft doesn't start till tomorrow, I was talking about a prerelease sealed, hosk tweeted about a FKK draft. We are debating what to do in the fan draft chat as we speak, but FFF isn't an option for today.
phlip
First Video: Eternal Sonata (Unskippable)

Postby phlip » 01 Feb 2015, 14:41

Lord Hosk wrote:Their reply was a very helpful explanation that "when this creature attacks" is a ability that only triggers on the attack step when the creature moves from "on the board to attacking in the red zone" the token didn't exist during that phase so that ability doesn't work. The card never "attacked" it appeared in a state of "attacking" which is after "attacks are declared." The wording is a little confusing.

Yeah, it's super confusing, even when judges are talking to other judges you have to be careful to keep it all straight. But there's two concepts: attacking (verb) and attacking (adjective). To "attack" as a verb means to be declared as an attacker during the Declare Attackers step turn-based action. To be "attacking" as an adjective is a property of those creatures which are currently involved in the combat.

Most creatures that "attacked" are "attacking"... unless they're removed from combat (eg regeneration, changing controller, Hollowhenge Spirit, etc). Most creatures that are "attacking" are that way because they "attacked"... unless they became attacking due to some ability directly setting that property, instead of by the Declare Attackers step (eg "put a thing onto the battlefield attacking" effects).

It's dumb and they should probably have better terms for it, but that's the way the rules work. Hopefully they'll reword the template a bit someday to make it clearer (like how they changed power/toughness-setting effects to say "base power and toughness" in M15).

Lord Hosk wrote:"but I will reimburse you your tickets and clan token anyways have fun Im a super awesome guy who cares more about people understanding the game and having fun than about digital tickets." -bill (I am paraphrasing the last bit)

Nice. WotC is really good about that sort of thing.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?

[he/him/his]
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 01 Feb 2015, 14:41

10 minutes to FKK draft OR Sealed! Vote Sealed in the fandraft chat!
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 01 Feb 2015, 14:46

Okay I think that's too soon for me, so I guess I'll be good and pass for today. You guys have fun though! I'll join you for release events later. :)
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 01 Feb 2015, 19:20

so... tripple fates reforged draft tomorrow? :D
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 01 Feb 2015, 20:27

Haha sure, if you do it between 4pm and 6pm PST I'm in.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Feb 2015, 23:15

IM in I have so many packs of Fate

I did a sealed after the fan draft and... well lets just say there was a four and a 0... im on a heater.

I outraced a turn four citadel siege game one, and then won game three keeping Warflare, flame whatever pheonix, Aven Skirmisher, Douse in gloom and three land. I drew Sandblast and 9 lands for the win. IN THE FINALS
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Feb 2015, 07:21

I'm in for Triple-Fate. Tell me the time.

It's weird... I was learning in RTR, and I liked GTC and DGM, even though I didn't do well. M14, I had fun and did a bit consistently better. THS and BNG, I had fun, and did about the same as M14. Triple Journey, I had fun as well...

Then came Theros Block. I don't know what the deal was, but I hated it. I was not having fun. Something about that format made me upset, and made it so I couldn't get my draft decks to do what I designed them to do.

But then M15 came out and I settled down a bit. KTK came out and I went back up in stats and fun. FRF is out now, and I'm now doing worse than I was, but I'm still having more fun. I'm guessing that I feel more like I'm losing fairly and getting my decks to perform, even if they lose.

I have no idea what was wrong with Theros Block draft that made me hate it so much.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 02 Feb 2015, 07:28

KTK and FRF just seem to be really fun sets to draft. I don't mind that I don't do very well, I just enjoy the draft.

Memo put up a very spirited battle in the final round, his Daghatar caused me a lot of problems.

I hope I can find the time to join in some more of these in the future.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Feb 2015, 13:43

So whats the word on time of day?
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Feb 2015, 15:20

I can't start till a little after 5 PM PST, don't start without me please!
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 02 Feb 2015, 15:28

I'm fine with starting somewhere between 5 and 6 PM PST then. I can start a little later if that works best but I'd prefer to play earlier than later.
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Feb 2015, 15:33

Well, I CAN"T start much later than 6 PST, so there is that...
Sarah

Postby Sarah » 02 Feb 2015, 15:42

Well then I guess that works. Sometime after 5pm. I'll keep an eye out here and in the fandraft chat, if you give 10-15 minutes warning I should notice before you actually start the draft. :P
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Feb 2015, 15:52

When I say "after" 5 PST, I mean by, like, one or two minutes. However long it takes me to get from my living room at 5 PST to my computer.
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Feb 2015, 15:55

Actually, when I said after 5 PST, I meant after 6 PST. Stupid not one global time zone...
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Feb 2015, 17:38

About half an hour (probably less) till we draft!
Omnicrat

Postby Omnicrat » 02 Feb 2015, 18:03

Last chance! go to the fan draft chat if you can/want to participate!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 02 Feb 2015, 22:55

Blast, I missed it! I would have loved to get in on this.
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 07 Feb 2015, 20:55

So, you really shouldn't let 2 Aven Surveyors wheel. 3-0:

Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 07 Feb 2015, 21:38

Just gonna post this here for posterity and future record and whatnot. I'm terrible about actually describing what happened in my matches. Basically, Round 1 and 3 were hard victories, and I got completely stomped round 2. Also, this deck doesn't have enough fixing.

http://imgur.com/a/cFGiV
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Feb 2015, 21:42

I expected to do better with this deck, but ended up 1-2, as usual. Had fun, though.

Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 07 Feb 2015, 21:44

I've been humming and hawing about falling back into the black hole which is MtG for a while now. This week I figured, screw it, I'm not doing anything else interesting.

The cards:

The draft itself was kinda messy. Pack 1 pulled me into white pretty hard, with options to go either Abzan or Jeskai... and then packs 2 and 3 happened, which sorta derailed both of those plans. Still, I think I muddled through it adequately enough.

Ended up going 1-2, which is better than the 0-3 I was expecting... although that last round win was due to an unfortunate "80 card" deckbuilding incident suffered by my opponent whose username escapes me at the moment, and for which I'm super sorry.

Ugin was the obvious P1P1, because I knew I wasn't going to be too crash hot anyway, so I figured I might as well make off with some tickets out of the deal. He's bankrolling my next draft. Thanks buddy!

So yeah, that was fun.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 07 Feb 2015, 22:18

I went one and two after taking a bit of a dive a couple times.

Its so much fun to have lethal on board and scoop.

I passed some good cards in pack one to take those ware flares cause I could tell I was going to go into a RW attack deck and I wanted to have a couple of them, figured I could pick up 1-3 drop creatures later. then I passed 3 more and took crummy cards :( If I could have redone pack one I think it was a 3-0 deck. pack two and three were fine but pack one meh.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 07 Feb 2015, 23:27

@hascow: four?! You picked up four Aven Surveyor's ?!

So, after a long break, I finally felt up to streaming another draft, and wound up 2-1 with this collection of cards:

In future, I definitely need to prioritize more removal. As others have mentioned in the chat, there are some bombs that can really run away with a game. (Although some, like Temur Kitty, are a brutal pain to actually get off the battle field, even with removal ...)

Staying open doesn't seem to be so safe a bet in this format, and I don't feel that I made great use out of my Fate packs. I definitely need more practice with this set.

Draft and deck building: http://www.twitch.tv/maddrius/c/6066805

Had some close games, and almost went to time to JWiley129, but I'll take 2-1, even if I had to back my way into it ...

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”