Loading Ready Fan Draft.

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Loading Ready Fan Draft.

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Nov 2015, 17:33

Anyone know if we're FanDrafting tonight? Or is everyone exhausted/out of money from Desert Bus?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Dec 2015, 02:07

Ended up in this deck going 1-2. It was weird, but I liked it.

CommiePuddin
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby CommiePuddin » 04 Jan 2016, 07:24

Fan draft recommendation for consideration this year: Let's do the modern throwback draft each week. For funsies.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Jan 2016, 13:36

If I have funds, sure. If not, well...

Randus2003
First Video: the couch

Postby Randus2003 » 04 Jan 2016, 15:52

maybe for the after draft draft, given that it's single elm it doing it this way still gives us (all) our 3 rounds of fun...and for the record I support doing these events just not at the regular time.

*EDIT*

forgot to mention: I'm aware of a few FanDrafters that don't like doing older formats they aren't familiar with and I don't like the idea of alienating that group for the regular time slot draft
Last edited by Randus2003 on 04 Jan 2016, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 04 Jan 2016, 17:03

As, I suspect, the most vocal of the "old formats are s***" crowd, my feelings on this years' worth of flashback drafts are... actually kind of mixed.

The thing is, my personal beef tends to be primarily against Cube. They tend to span multiple formats, which is highly disorienting unless I feel like exhaustively researching (practically) every f***ing card in the list, which I have neither the time nor energy to do for what ends up being a 2 or maybe even 1 week event. The power/skill mismatch tends to be incredibly steep... you're either playing stupidly OP combos on turn 3 at the very latest, or you're essentially dead on board. And again, as someone who doesn't have the experience with (at times) literal years worth of MtG bomb history, I would constantly be at the receiving end of the shenanigans instead of the fun side. I think we can all agree that being utterly ground into a fine powder by an opponent you have no hope of even scratching is just super not fun.

Lastly, Cubes are always phantom events. Even if I was of a mind to go in and have my ass thoroughly handed to me, at the end of the day, I walk away with literal nothing to show for it, except for maybe a few play points out of sheer pity... which are used to play more phantom events. It's a vicious cycle of humiliation and salty tilting.

...so then, back to the topic at hand - flashback drafts. While I'm not a huge fan for similar reasons for my utter hatred of all things cube, you've all probably noted the ways they differ too. For one, the draft formats tend to be a lot more focused (at most, spanning the 3 different sets inside the same block), AND tend to be a lot more recent, only going back so far as... I wanna say Innistrad? (from memory - I haven't read the list in a little while). For me, this is "acceptably recent", but I can't exactly speak for others in a similar boat who may have only been playing since Origins or later for example.

BUT, what gets me about these drafts is, if what Randus says about it being single elim only, then that is a far more damning factor than card familiarity. For a casual and inclusive event such as fandraft, to say that "only half of us can play in round 2" is, to put it mildly, entirely f***ing bulls***. Fandraft is about FUN, first and foremost, and few things are less fun than just having to sit around with thumbs (metaphorically) up our asses and waiting, potentially for up to 2 hours, for an event to finish.

I mean, I guess it's entirely possible that people who are knocked out would group up for a casual event on MtGO - either freeplay with their draft decks, or something else like commander (much trickier, since you could be sure that we'd all have a draft deck, but not so for commander), BUT then you've got a whole 'nother layer of planning to worry about. And at that point, is it even a "fandraft" any more, or just "random, loosely associated MtGO events"?

TL;DR - Flashback drafts are a bad idea from an inclusiveness standpoint, but potentially interesting and certainly not as bad a problem as cube (which, as always, can go f*** itself with a 3-mile long rusty and barbed pole).

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Jan 2016, 18:15

While your points are all valid, though some of them rely on personal preference, I do want to make two clarifications.

First, Play Points aren't just for phantom events. Play Points can be used in any event, if you have enough. Granted, "having enough" typically means winning a phantom event or two, or playing a lot of them, and we're right back to that other point.

Second, these new Flashback drafts are from stuff like 8th Edition and forward, not just the newer sets.

Just wanted to point that out. And I totally agree that single-elimination does not work for the FanDraft, whatsoever.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Jan 2016, 20:08

Had a ton of fun with my "Aggramp" deck:

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Jan 2016, 20:43

I overslept. Was there a FanDraft at all this week or was everyone PreReleasing?

Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 20 Jan 2016, 13:51

AdmiralMemo wrote:I overslept. Was there a FanDraft at all this week or was everyone PreReleasing?

There were only 2 us as of 9:15 so we called it a lose to the pre-res.
KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 21 Jan 2016, 13:44

A note about the flashback drafts: They are not phantom! You get to keep the cards drafted, /and/ you have the opportunity for play points. :D
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 20 Feb 2016, 18:27

Welp... ACExtravaganza just ruined tonight's FanDraft for me, and now that my Jace funds are starting to run out, I'm wondering if I should ever return to it. It was at a terrible time for me anyway, but maybe I'll just leave and become a hermit again, abandoning the one time where I had some sort of socialization during the week. :-(

Edit: ACE and I have reconciled... for now... :| As long as he doesn't "mansplain" anything to me again...

But tonight was just bad. We drove off at least 3 people with our fight, and then, when we did get to draft, randus ended up missing it by looking away at just the wrong moment...

I'm still trying to figure out what I screwed up with this deck to go 0-3 with it.

abanytar
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby abanytar » 23 Feb 2016, 07:03

Memo, as you know, I am quite the fan of Visions of Brutality in your decks, so I am also shocked you went 0-3. ;)

Without Ingest, did Mind Raker and Despoiler pull their own weight? Also, I assume your scion makers are in there either for Brood Butcher to sac or to get Pathfinder out ahead of curve. Did that plan ever come together?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 23 Feb 2016, 16:45

Yeah, the scion makers were essentially for quicker 6-drops or just for chump fodder.

No Ingest, but Transgress the Mind, Complete Disregard, Oblivion Strike, and 2 Witness the Ends made up for that. The Raker and Despoiler were just being used as dudes on their own, with bonus if there was something exiled. I usually did sideboard one of the Witnesses for the Vines, though.

I think my main problem was just bad draws, though. Either mana screw or mana flood.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Mar 2016, 17:31

With the Pre-Pre-Release, I'm doubting there's going to be a FanDraft this week? I mean, I know I'll be skipping, personally.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 02 Apr 2016, 20:47

Went 2-1 with this deck I call "Lands are People, too!"

hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 24 Aug 2016, 07:38

Well, this may be dead moving forward, since PPW queues and 6222s are no longer within-pod pairings after September 7th :(

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-online-leagues-circle-complete-2016-08-24
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Aug 2016, 08:21

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 24 Aug 2016, 13:47

AdmiralMemo wrote:Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I 2nd that, fist they kill our pre-release now they take the fan draft.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 25 Aug 2016, 01:54

All the more reason to look into alternatives - MTGO isn't the only game in town, merely the one we're most accustomed to... and I guess has official support which is handy.

But yeah, if we all really want to fandraft badly enough, it's probably best to start weighing our options.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 Aug 2016, 21:34

The question becomes "Is the 'we all' enough to keep this going?" Because I think that it's been dying slowly anyway, so maybe it should die off. In the heyday, we could get 2.5 to 3 queues going. Now, we scrape up about 4 or 5 people a week.

I certainly won't like it, but it might be what needs to happen.

Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 25 Aug 2016, 23:16

I feel like there might be a resurgence if there's some method that doesn't cost money. That's been my biggest obstacle to participating; I'm barely making enough to keep a roof over my head, so I can afford paper prereleases and that's about it.

What would the alternatives to MTGO be?
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 26 Aug 2016, 04:48

I can't attest to the ease of use or quality of them, it looks like the two main players are Cockatrice and XMage. Further, it looks like XMage is the only one of the two to have a semblance of established system behind it, in that it apparently has draft support. Cockatrice looks to be more for constructed play, and is all left to the users to police themselves; almost like a virtual kitchen-counter MTG.
jadamelio
First Video: The Cookie

Postby jadamelio » 26 Aug 2016, 10:23

I have played with cockatrice for a few years with friends. It is just kitchen table magic, as Antitonic says, such that it requires voice chat to run smoothly(in my opinion). It's free and super easy and could be a good solution when paired with an online draft tool like tappedOut.net

The argument for a LRR Xmage server would be we could host a lot of events, not just drafts, and connect the LRR MTG community. Drafts, Standard, Pick ups, even highlander. It would be a potentially large thing to go for.
hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 27 Aug 2016, 16:21

I would definitely prefer a switch to a free option over killing it entirely, in case it does drum up more interest.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”