The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Re: The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

Postby Utilitarian » 27 Jun 2014, 00:02

WickedBoy6 wrote:However, Constricting Sliver is absolutely BONQUERS! Cast Constricting, follow it up with a lot of Slivers to Banish the opponent's creatures, then use Hibernation Sliver's ability to bounce Constricting back to your hand, and...well, all of the other Slivers "forget" they ever had the ability. BAM! Instant board exile!

Yea, the "Banish" mechanic is much more robust than the old Oring style effect, preventing these sorts of shenanigans.

Volafortis wrote:and we still have Garruk to see.

Given the presence of the Pre-release event Garruk "Planeswalker" card I seriously doubt we're going to get an actual Garruk planeswalker card in the set. Nissa's there to fill his usual spot. Maybe we'll see him in Khans?
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 27 Jun 2014, 00:23

I highly doubt that. He's the face of the set, and the core set doesn't tie into the rest of the block like that.

Mark Rosewater stated on his tumblr that M15 has 6 planeswalkers in it. I'm certain we're getting a Garruk. It'd be awful marketing if he weren't in it, since the weird prerelease thing is a "you do it once, and then call it good" thing, and it's only something available to players who attend the prerelease.

They don't want to dismiss "the invisibles" in marketing like that (see Time Spiral block market research).

I can guarantee you that if they heavily market a character, that character is getting a new card. It's why people were pretty sure we were getting a new Nissa before it was announced- because of the figures.

Convenient that we're getting 6 figures, and there are 6 walkers in M15, no?

Garruk is in. Saying he's not is being willfully ignorant of marketing.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 27 Jun 2014, 03:39

I shall henceforth call the new Jace "Cheekbones," because seriously, someone's going to cut themselves on them.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 27 Jun 2014, 04:41

Jace is actually much stronger than he looks.

He's a 5-loyalty planeswalker for 4, which is already pretty durable.

His plus, while not good in every deck, empowers a very strong reanimator-style deck.

His ultimate is better Timetwister. Seriously. It is literally a strictly better version of a Power 9 card.

This Jace screams for some kind of dimir or BUG reanimator engine that uses his plus to filter hand things into hand and graveyard things into graveyard. His middle ability is decent self-defense, but really only used when needed. Practically speaking ultimates happen extremely rarely, but a planeswalker with a Power 9 card seems pretty good to me.
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 27 Jun 2014, 06:44

To be fair, Timetwister is only good because the effect is immediate and as cheap as it is. It needs to be combined with fast mana and cheap spells, or the effect isn't worth it. It's used to dump your hand on turn one, then turn around and refill your hand.

Now, the new Jace ultimate is much better than that, because it empties your opponents hand while still refilling your own, but it's actually a minor nonbo with his +1, since you want to include graveyard relevant cards in your deck for incidental value.

I only say it's a minor nonbo, since he gives you time to use that incidental value before he ultimates, and the ultimate is just straight up juicy card advantage.
Last edited by Volafortis on 27 Jun 2014, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
ArchieO
First Video: Punct-uation

Postby ArchieO » 27 Jun 2014, 07:13

You can't judge a planeswalker on their ultimate because most of the time they aren't going to get there, if the other abilities are not up to scratch then the best ultimate in the world won't make a Planeswalker good, see Ablaze, Chandra.
All my current Commander Decks
I stream Magic http://www.twitch.tv/acowen Tune in for EDH Fun Times!
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 27 Jun 2014, 10:02

Oh for sure, I think he's pretty bad. I'm just pointing out how I would use him, and how what you're doing to build up to his ultimate actually plays poorly with his ultimate, but his fast clock to ultimate is really the only thing going for him.
jkefka
First Video: Does Desert Bus count? Feed dump if not

Postby jkefka » 27 Jun 2014, 10:53

"All your slivers are now Banisher Priest": http://mythicspoiler.com/m15/cards/cons ... liver.html

Limited: Not sure if good, might be a trap as it is a six-drop 3/3, but if you're in slivers and can produce more slivers after you cast it this thing wins games.
Commander: Run for your god-damn lives.

And, to counter it: Torpor orb on a 2/1 flier for 3. Oh, and it's got flash, for that extra touch of "fuck you."
http://mythicspoiler.com/m15/cards/hushwinggryff.html
When the upkeep takes longer than the main phase, I know I've done my job well.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 27 Jun 2014, 15:57

I realized the mess-up with the proposed combo when I remembered how they changed the wording of that ability now.

Also, yeah, that Gryff pissed me off the second I saw it, but not for that reason. I just finished my Allies Commander deck, a.k.a. Slivers Light, and all it is is ETB triggers.

Also, Krenko's Enforcers? 1RR for a 2/2 Intimidate? Goblins are becoming better and better in M15. Sounds like my Standard Mad Cow Disease (Minotaur) deck may have to be switched out for Goblin Tribal if they're coming out like this. Kaboomist, Rabblemaster...

Also, WOW! His nickname MUST be Scotty. No other option!

Credit to Foxmar
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 27 Jun 2014, 19:54

I'm picturing a combo deck with Chief Engineer and Master of Waves into some serious value. Colossus of Akros and Soul of New Phyrexia seem like pretty good things to convoke into.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 27 Jun 2014, 19:57

I was thinking of making a Memnarch Artifact Commander deck as kind of a companion for my Bosh one, and Chief Engineer is DEFINITELY making the cut.
Credit to Foxmar
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 27 Jun 2014, 21:04

That card is the stone cold nuts.

Convoke isn't affected by summoning sickness. Tezzerator... I'm building you next.
ZePancakes
First Video: Bad News

Postby ZePancakes » 28 Jun 2014, 05:00

Urborg is getting a reprint, tasty.
Oh-h-h-h SNAP... Concede.

Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 28 Jun 2014, 17:46

Welp, I stand corrected. New Garruk will be spoiled on monday. Now I'm just excited.
ForOhFor Error
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby ForOhFor Error » 29 Jun 2014, 19:53

New Garruk is spoiled.

4 abilities. Shoulda guessed. He seems really strong, but that mana cost is pretty high.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 29 Jun 2014, 20:04

His creature +1 and his -3 are kind of nutty. The other +1 seems SUPER strong, if also super situational. I really want to try to use his +1 against a player. "I destroy you." "What?" "You're a planeswalker. I use Garruk to destroy you." "...JUDGE!"

His -8 confused me at first. I thought it meant that opponent's creatures got a buff when they attacked you. Now that's not the case, the ability is bonkers.
Lurkon
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby Lurkon » 29 Jun 2014, 20:05

ForOhFor Error wrote:New Garruk is spoiled.

4 abilities. Shoulda guessed. He seems really strong, but that mana cost is pretty high.

I need this. It doesn't synergize very well with my Golgari deck (other BG Garruk does, but whatever), but I need it.
Do a Pivot Table!

"Cover me in lube and call me an athlete!" ~ Kathleen De Vere
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Jun 2014, 20:06

I will say that having four abilities and the color of the image make the card look awful. Especially with the gold boarder.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 29 Jun 2014, 20:20

I guess they figured out that the best way to make a four-ability planeswalker not incredibly broken is to make one extremely situational, in this case the "destroy target planeswalker" one.

But man, that last ability... I'm excited to see this Garruk in action, even if that 7 CMC makes it more unlikely for him to see play in the first place.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 29 Jun 2014, 20:28

I don't want to count it out altogether, a bit of ramp and in the right deck he's not much harder to cast than Elspeth, who is very popularly played in standard. An emerging G/B or Jund deck might want him?
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Jun 2014, 20:38

Thinking about it, I feel the destroy walker ability is actually going to be a lot more relevant than people are giving it credit for. At the very least for the next three months. There are a ton of walkers played in a lot of decks. Though I don't think Mono-Black does, and that still seems the big deck right now.

Still, in a format with Domri, AoT, Kiora, Ajanis, Elspeth, and a bunch of other solid walkers, and only losing a few of them... I'd be surprised if it normally didn't have at least one target in most opposing decks.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 29 Jun 2014, 20:44

CHORD OF CALLING?!?!
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 29 Jun 2014, 20:48

Love big bomby planeswalkers like this, even if they aren't very competitive, they're just plain cool.

EDIT: Glad to see Chord of Calling, it needed a reprint, not to mention being a plain fun card. Also, might give Green a bit of a shot in the arm, which it seems to need based on tournament results (I don't actually play standard, though).
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 29 Jun 2014, 21:00

I've said it elsewhere too, and I'm actually kind of disappointed in this incarnation of Garruk. I'm a fan of 'arms race' situations, with both players doing their very best to get their planeswalker to fire their ultimate before the other can. The new Garruk doesn't really lend himself to that, even though his ultimate makes for a fantastic weapon. Maybe if I can find people willing to play him as if his first +1 didn't exist, I'll feel less 'meh' about him, because aside from that one ability he seems like exactly the sort of planeswalker I want to use.
Volafortis

Postby Volafortis » 29 Jun 2014, 21:07

I collect walkers, so I need 4 of him regardless. Also 4 Nissa, 4 Ajani, and 4 of that crappy new Jace.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”