The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Re: The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

Postby WickedBoy6 » 07 Jul 2014, 05:39

Back to Nature? Hah. The Pantheon laughs at such parlor tricks.

Garruk, Apex Predator? Hah. None of your deathtouch/destroy is worthy of the Pantheon's attention.

Perilous Vault?...well...fuck.
Credit to Foxmar
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 07 Jul 2014, 05:59

So a friend of mine completely scrapped all plans for his Enchantress standard deck because he saw the Back to Nature reprint.

I don't think it's all that bad. It's like not playing creatures because Supreme Verdict is in the format.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 07 Jul 2014, 10:30

tamaness wrote:So a friend of mine completely scrapped all plans for his Enchantress standard deck because he saw the Back to Nature reprint.

I don't think it's all that bad. It's like not playing creatures because Supreme Verdict is in the format.

The difference is that Supreme Verdict costs twice as much, is much harder to cast, and is a sorcery. Any deck with green in it can pop a couple of these in its sideboard and have them essentially be two mana one sided wrath effects.

If Supreme Verdict also cost 1g and was an instant, i'm sure most people WOUOLD stop playing creatures.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 07 Jul 2014, 14:23

All it took for creatures to not get played anymore was a single white instant that cost W, back in the day (Although creatures being a lot worse back then certainly didn't help.)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Jul 2014, 14:41

The clash pack was revealed. Courser of Kruphix and Nykthos in it. BEAUTIFUL alt-art foils of Professor Sphinx, Prophet of Kruphix, Hydra Broodmaster, Temple of Myster, and Fated Intervention. All for $30. I'm honestly going to try to get 4, because Courser is currently worth more than half that already, and I doubt he's going to go down much from it given how much play he sees.

Source: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2014-07-07
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 07 Jul 2014, 14:43

I wouldn't base a purchase decision on Courser alone. I doubt it can hold the $16 it's currently pulling.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Jul 2014, 14:48

It's not just for Courser (as I already have my set). Though I do disagree that it can't hold that value. It's pretty powerful, and (from my understanding) is seeing some modern play. Which makes me feel it's going to follow a similar value path as Thragtusk, with a slightly higher overall path due to having eternal value.

It's also for alt-art prophet. Current foils are quite valuable and, while these might be cheaper (I say might because I personally prefer the alt-art), they're still going to have excellent long-term value at worst. I'm also a big fan of Prognostic Sphinx and Hydra Broodmaster. I've already got a set of foils, but these alt-art foils look better to me. I feel like Fated Intervention could be good after rotation too. And Temple of Mystery, while currently one of the lowest temples, could see more play around rotation and will still hold some EDH value. Plus, Nykthos value too.

It all adds up to being worth more than $30 to me. If I can find a couple (I likely won't buy four just due to not having much money) for MSRP and have the cash, I'll likely pick them up. Play with the alt-arts I want to, and hold on to some of the stuff for the long-term value.
Last edited by Kapol on 07 Jul 2014, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Jul 2014, 14:51

Also, one thing that I realize when looking at the promo art is that I actually really like the new frame. the first examples they gave looked kind of crappy in my opinion (especially waste not). But I feel it looks really nice on green, gold, blue, and land.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 Jul 2014, 14:58

Ok yeah, I need that Temple and the Prophet for my commander deck.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 07 Jul 2014, 14:59

On Courser, it doesn't see enough Modern play to maintain a 16 dollar price tag, since it's only played in a single deck (Jund) and as Jund does better, Courser actually becomes worse. It's mainly played because it's great against Lightning Bolt, and as Jund does better, you'll see it trim Coursers because of the increase in Abrupt Decay.

That said, I'll certainly need to get the alt art Temple and Prophet for my cube. Those arts are gorgeous.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 07 Jul 2014, 15:03

I think courser will go up through Khans. It's really, really good, and people hate opening BotG, but yeah, without a few strong Modern decks to prop it up, it'll probably drop once it rotates out. I do think it'll stay over $10 though.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Jul 2014, 15:09

Which was kind of my point. It'll stay a decent value throughout standard, then drop. But due to seeing any kind of modern play, it'll likely stick above Thragtusk, which is only $2.33 now. Even if it only sees some fringe play.

And the alt art of those two specifically is kind of why I think it's such good value. They're going to be played a good amount in commander. And a lot of commander players love foils, especially alt-art ones. So they'll likely stay a decent price even after rotation. If a deck comes along and really does something with Prophet in standard, it could even rise. I just regret that they gave Font of Fertility a foil alt-art and not Nykthos or Courser. Why not just make that an FNM promo if they wanted that to get out there or something? It seems like a wasted opportunity.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 07 Jul 2014, 15:31

Kinda sad it's all cards I already have a set (or as many as I need) of. Still likely worth a pick up. Who knows I might find a deck that wants that fourth Nykthos or Prophet of Kruphix
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Jul 2014, 15:46

I actually have all the cards I need from it. 4 Nykthos, 4 Courser, many Prophets (though I do want 2 more foil), 4 foil Professor Sphinx, 4 foil Hydra Broodmasters. I just think it's value, and I love the alt-arts on the foils quite a bit.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 07 Jul 2014, 18:46

It seems alright to me. One card being half the price of the set is odd, and I wonder if it isn't to try to drop the price by making it much more available. It is cool to see some other good cards in it - Nykthos, Hydra Broodmaster, etc. - but I wonder how easy it'll be to find at big-box stores, versys when the FLGS grab ahold of it and possibly elevate price.

Also, were these going to be the only Clash Packs made, or are there going to be others down the line? Because I could see these possibly being a new long-line product.
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 07 Jul 2014, 19:05

I doubt stores are going to sell it for much more than $30. While it's worth the price, it's not worth much more honestly. That is, unless the alt-art prices are that much higher than the normal ones. I think it'll settle right around $30-35 standard.

And Clash Packs are going to be alternating with Event Decks. So this is a clash pack. Khans is an Event Deck. Khans 2 will be a clash pack. Dragons of Tarkir will be an event deck.

But is this does massively better than the event deck (which I think it will overall, because it's also better and appealing for newbies I feel), then it could just take over.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 07 Jul 2014, 19:07

I doubt that there's any thought to secondary market pricing here. Wizards will have had to have the list finalized long before there were any secondary market prices on any cards in the decks.

Clash packs replace the event decks for every second set, so Khans will have an event deck, then the next set will have a clash pack.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 08 Jul 2014, 04:52

korvys wrote:Ok yeah, I need that Temple and the Prophet for my commander deck.

My Momir Vig wants that Temple and Prophet. My Karametra wants that Broodmaster, and my Mimeoplasm wants that Prognostic Sphinx. Add in Nykthos for my upcoming Ob Nixilis Unchained and Courser for... some deck I haven't decided on yet? This seems SO GOOD.
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 08 Jul 2014, 10:49

After one glance at that link, I know I want that Clash pack. So badly, in fact, that I'm debating skipping the M15 prerelease so I can spend the money on the pack instead. Except I really want the oversized Garruk... Dag nabbit. Now I don't know what to do.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 08 Jul 2014, 12:39

get the garruk from a friend who's going to bin it?
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 08 Jul 2014, 13:13

You can just walk around a store during the prerelease and you're bound to pick one up off the ground or in the recycling bin. That's how I got all my prerelease Hero cards without actually having to participate.
Utilitarian

Postby Utilitarian » 08 Jul 2014, 13:42

Friend tipped me off to a store pre-selling the Clash for 20 bucks each. Even with shipping I decided to order a set. I want a set of Aetherspout and Genesis Hydra which I somehow missed were in them, and I'm sure I can trade off the extraneous Coursers and Temples to make it back up.
tamaness

Postby tamaness » 08 Jul 2014, 15:12

Phosphatide wrote:You can just walk around a store during the prerelease and you're bound to pick one up off the ground or in the recycling bin. That's how I got all my prerelease Hero cards without actually having to participate.

I'm still missing two of the hero cards: the white ones from Theros and from Journey.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 08 Jul 2014, 17:29

Hmm... Maybe. I hadn't actually thought of the possibility of anyone just tossing the card; to me, it seems like an incredible keepsake. I'm pretty much inclined to take every one anyone decides they don't want. With that said, because the local game store doesn't have a lot of space, they're renting a space at (I believe) a nearby hotel for the event. I'm not sure if the general public will be welcome to come in, or if only people 'on the list' will be allowed access.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 08 Jul 2014, 18:51

Plenty of people just have no interest in the keepsake part of it. Personally, I'd still ask before taking one left on a table, though.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”