The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Re: The M15 Super Special Awesome Spoiler Thread!

Postby Phosphatide » 08 Jul 2014, 19:12

Maybe you could find a spare to sacrifice (tear apart with your teeth and all) for the sake of the photo contest WotC made and win that NERF axe.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 08 Jul 2014, 22:33

I just hope that Nerf axe is for sale at some point, for those that never got the chance to enter or win the contest.
Credit to Foxmar
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 09 Jul 2014, 02:04

I'm assuming that casting life's legacy on Phytotitan is living the dream for limited? Especially as they are both rare :(
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 10 Jul 2014, 20:03

That's assuming you pick up Green during this weekend. In which case, you have chosen wrong. Black is clearly the better pre-release box to go with. That Indulgent Tormentor.

...unless you mean Standard once M15 releases, in which case yeah, I can see that.
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2014, 20:58

WickedBoy6 wrote:That's assuming you pick up Green during this weekend. In which case, you have chosen wrong. Black is clearly the better pre-release box to go with. That Indulgent Tormentor.

...unless you mean Standard once M15 releases, in which case yeah, I can see that.

Indulgent Tormentor isn't THAT great honestly. He's the strongest promo, but there are a good number of ways to deal with him. And there's enough stuff in other colors to make his abilities not that worrisome. Plus, black's commons and uncommons aren't super great either.

I'm actually likely going to go white. The possible mythics seem to be souls, and the white soul is the best. The angel is also really good. You might not think so right away, but the fact is, that late in the game, she causes a fairly major swing in terms of life total if you're down even 10 life. And by turn 7, that's not uncommon.
WickedBoy6

Postby WickedBoy6 » 10 Jul 2014, 21:26

I'm actually looking forward to throwing that red Soul into my Bosh Commander deck. Mass mana + multiple "Bolt" triggers = Board clearing and heavy damage. It's not uncommon for my Bosh deck to hit 15 mana very quickly, and with Soul of Shandalar, I could easily control what stays on the board and what goes. Even better if he has some Grafted on him. Even if he does get sac'ed, I still have one more trigger.

It seems like, just like with Theros - at least with the Gods - they're definitely pushing towards some Commander usage out of the cards. I could easily see the Ravnica Soul put into one of my 5-color decks for maximum draw. Paragon of Eternal Wilds is sadly a human, but could easily find a home in my Ezuri deck. And Soul of New Phyrexia could fit in anything...

...just keep that damn Perilous Vault away from me.
Credit to Foxmar
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2014, 21:44

The red soul is easily the second-best to me, and is actually very close to Soul of Theros. But I feel like Soul of Theros is the best one for any deck with a decent number of creatures. Red soul does three damage to a creature and player. That's kind of nuts in limited. In constructed, it's still strong, but loses a bit I feel. And in EDH I worry it'll just make you too much of a target without actually being that huge. Typically EDH has bigger creatures, and the life total is doubled. Not to mention being spread out over multiple opponents. But it is a threat, which means it will draw attention to you.

For the white soul though, it makes combat hell for your opponent. +2/+2 in the typical 'weeny/token' color is pretty huge when it's to all of your creatures. So that makes you a big target too. But it gives First Strike to help you win combat. That's pretty huge considering the boost. And on top of that, even if you ARE the big target, all of your creatures get lifelink too. That's going to be a HUGE lifegain swing considering the wide pump. You attack with 4 1/1s. You use the white soul's ability. Your 1/1s are all 3/3s now, that just beat anything with three toughness, AND you gain 12 life. If that doesn't see play in standard, I don't want to play this game anymore. So I generally think that one is just pretty pushed. I'm just sad the DotP promos are the blue and green ones. While the green one isn't bad, having the white and red would have been better to me.
Phosphatide
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Phosphatide » 10 Jul 2014, 22:37

I think they learned their lesson after choosing, of all things, Scavenging Ooze to be one of the DotP promos. Pick someone cool and splashy but very likely not to make a big impact.

Unless LSV is right about his rundown of the souls in his article and Soul of Zendikar becomes super relevant in constructed.

I picked black for my first choice at the prerelease because I want to draw a bunch of cards, and green as second choice because I want to see if I can do dumb things with the promo.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 10 Jul 2014, 23:02

Phosphatide wrote:I think they learned their lesson after choosing, of all things, Scavenging Ooze to be one of the DotP promos. Pick someone cool and splashy but very likely not to make a big impact.

Unless LSV is right about his rundown of the souls in his article and Soul of Zendikar becomes super relevant in constructed.

I picked black for my first choice at the prerelease because I want to draw a bunch of cards, and green as second choice because I want to see if I can do dumb things with the promo.

Given they had titans and walkers as promos before, I don't think that being unbalanced is that new with Ooze. It just was the only really strong one of the three that release (which was kind of the same with the hydra before it). And I actually liked the other two promos. But the Silver didn't have enough support, and the Ogre Battledriver (which was my favorite) didn't have enough ways to avoid just dying to be that useful.

I just think they should have picked the souls that people are more likely to want. Even the colorless soul would be better. But I guess I shouldn't complain too much. At least we didn't get the black soul.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 11 Jul 2014, 10:48

So, after looking through all the M15 cards that'll be in packs. And I might have missed one and put it in here that won't be showing up in packs since they didn't leave the visual spoiler up beyond gatherer. These are all cards that I feel are solid cards, so more than the normal 'it's kind of filler but still solid.' Like I would call all of these above bear level in terms of power.

Cycles (All of these cycles are solid, with the worst cards being only 'pretty good' in limited):

Paragons (White, Green, Blue, Red, Black)
Souls (White, Red, Colorless, Green, Blue, Black)
faux 'gold' uncommons (Black, Red, Green, White, Blue)
Walkers (Gold (Assuming you have support), White, Green, Black, Red, Blue)

White (13, 5 C, 4 U, 4 R, 1 ?):

Avacyn, Guardian Angel - R
Devouring Light - U
Ephemeral Shields - C
Geist of the Moors - U
Raise the alarm - C
Resolute Archangel - R
Selfless Cathar - c
Sereph of the Masses (?) - U
Spectra Ward - R
Spirit Bonds - R
Sungrace Pegasus - C
Triplicate Spirits - C
Wall of Essence - U

Blue (19, 6 C, 8 U, 5 R, 3 ?):

Aernaut Tinkerer (?) - C
Aetherspouts - R
Amphin Pathmage - C
Chasm Skulker - R
Coral Barrier - C
Divination - C
Encrust - C
Frost Lynx - C
Illusory Angel - U
Into the Void - U
Jace's Ingenuity - U
Jalira, Master Polymorphist - R
Kapsho Kitefins (?) - U
Master of Predicaments - R
Military Intelligence (?) - U
Polymorphist's Jest - R
Quickling - U
Turn to Frog - U
Wall of Frost - U

Black (11, 3 C, 5 U, 3 R, 2 ?):

Accursed Spirit - C
Blood Host - U
Child of Night - C
Cruel Sadist - R
Gravedigger - U
Indulgent Tormentor - R
Necrogen Scudder - U
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled (?) - R
Rotfester Maggot - C
Stab Wound - U
Ulcerate - U

Red (15, 5 C, 4 U, 6 R, 3 ?):

Aggressive Mining (?) - R
Borderland Marauder - C
Brood Keeper (?, seems fun in the right deck) - U
Burning Anger - R
Cone of Flame - U
Generator Servant - C
Goblin Kaboomist - R
Goblin Rabblemaster (?) - R
Heat Ray - U
Hoarding Dragon - R
Krenko's Enforcer - C
Lightning Strike - C
Rummaging Goblin - C
Siege Dragon - R
Stoke the Flames - U

Green (21, 9 C, 6 U, 6 R, 3 ?):

Ancient Silverback - U
Charging Rhino - C
Chord of Calling - R
Elvish Mystic - C
Feral Incarnation - U
Genesis Hydra - R
Hornet Nest - R
Hornet Queen - R
Hunter's Ambush (?) - C
Kalonian Twingrove - R
Living Totem (I like the fact it's a decent creature that permanantly boosts another WITH convoke) - C
Netcaster Spider - C
Nissa's Expedition (?, requires a lot of ramp desired, or needed fixing) - U
Overwhelm - U
Ranger's Guile - C
Reclimation Sage (?, depends on how good artifacts are) - U
Shaman of Spring - C
Siege Wurm - C
Undergrowth Scavenger - C
Wall of Mulch - U
Yisan, The Wanderer Bard (I LOVE this guy) - R

Other (11, 1 C, 4 U, 4 R, 1 M, 2 ?):

Brawler Plate (?) - U