essay topic

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
jedijon110
First Video: strip search

essay topic

Postby jedijon110 » 30 Jul 2014, 15:05

hey i am writing a persuasive essay on why magic the gathering should be taught is school suggestions pros cons
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: essay topic

Postby Kapol » 30 Jul 2014, 15:28

I don't really agree with the idea of Magic being forcibly taught to students as a subject like Math and Science. But I would say that it'd make a good sort of 'club' for schools to have available. The game is a way for multiple people to connect through a single medium. It also teaches mathematic skills, critical thinking, and similar useful skills. As a club sort of layout, teachers would be able to set up their own rules for the club to prevent things like one student just buying/stealing a bunch of good cards to win. Maybe have set pools that are given out for students to play with that they can build decks from. As well as offer overall 'free play' where students can bring their decks in to play with. This would be beneficial in that poorer students who might not be able to afford decks are still able to play on an even level with others, while allowing variance if students want to bring in their own decks.

If you wanted to push the forced to learn in class aspect, you could also try to use the argument that teaching these skills through a game will help hold students' attention better. It could also help promote outside learning of the material. Though I kind of feel like it'd be better to have a specific game built around learning particular subjects instead of Magic in that sense.
Utilitarian
First Video: Checkpoint 01

Postby Utilitarian » 30 Jul 2014, 15:54

I could see using magic as a tool to teach something like algebra, but it would have to be a tool used along side other teaching and instruction.
Look at the cards. LOOK AT THE CARDS!
The Saga of Ballchannels: My Dwarf Fortress Let's Play
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 31 Jul 2014, 07:43

Maybe as an elective course, like music or Spanish?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

jedijon110
First Video: strip search

Postby jedijon110 » 03 Aug 2014, 00:00

thanks for the help i will post they essay on here when i finish writing it

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”