Help needed - competetive Standard deck

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
LokiTheLiar
First Video: Friday Nights: Politics

Help needed - competetive Standard deck

Postby LokiTheLiar » 03 Oct 2014, 12:44

Hi guys, the new standard has just begun and I built a new deck, but it is not running as smoothly as I would like it too run. My greatest problem is fighting against Temur decks with a lot of ramp, Genesis Hydras and Sagu Maulers. Some of the really fast Mardu deck also tend to be a bit of a pain in the butt sometimes.

Here's my list http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-09-14 ... -rotation/

In my meta there is almost always at least one Mono Black Aggro Decks, one or two Mardu decks, 2-3 decks similiar to mine but with some small differences in removal an planeswalkers, and at last there are those stompy-smashy Temur decks.

What do you think I should change in my deck? I'm thinking about adding some Nyx-Fleece Ram to the sideboard for the aggro matchups but I would also like to try to be able to transform my deck to a more controlish version after sideboard. maybe with the addition of some wrath spell?
HALP PLS
"There is no shame in defeating an ignorant opponent." Kathleen De Vere

Current decks:
Standard - UB Thopter Control
Modern - Death and Taxes
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: Help needed - competetive Standard deck

Postby RadioshackRaider » 03 Oct 2014, 13:30

I honestly don't think fetches are worth it in three colour decks. I'm no pro player but with the small amount of basics that get run, it just seems like a waste of a card slot. I'd probably just use Mana Confluence over them. And yeah, Nyx-Fleece is probably a great idea for the side board if you're mainly up against aggro
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 03 Oct 2014, 18:45

I think you may just be having bottlenecks in mana at 3 and 4 CMC -- none of your maindeck removal spells aren't castable until then. If there's a significant amount of aggro/ramp in your meta, I'd suggest either maindecking Bile Blight or adding one-drop accelerants (4 Elvish Mystics) to ensure you can cast three-drop removal spells on turn two.
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 06 Oct 2014, 08:32

@steric hindrance
The problem with Bile Blight is that with the manabase I have now, I may not be able to consistently cast it on turn two, but I'll try mainboarding them. Maybe Suspension Field would be a better choice? If I were to play Elvish Mystics I would have to make some cuts - any suggestions?
@RadioshackRaider
The fetches have proven themselves quite useful so far, but you may be right. I will have to play the deck some more to find out. I'll try to trade some cards for Mana Confluences. The thing with fetches is, they're working nicely with Courser of Kruphix, allowing me to shuffle away a card I don't want and saved me from mana screw a couple times.
Other thing I'm thinking about is replacing the two remaining copies Anafenza with Brimaz when I'll save up enough money and/or adding Wingmate Roc to the deck. What do you think?
Anyways, thank you for the feedback, I will try to change the deck according to your suggestions and see how it works out during next FNM.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 06 Oct 2014, 17:14

The problem with Suspension Field is that it isn't an instant -- you can't leave up two mana on turn two and Doom Blade their two-drop as you could in previous Standard formats; you'll have to deal with their two-drop on turn three (in which case you could probably have played Banishing Light anyway). I might trim the Sorin, one Siege Rhino, one Silence the Believers, and perhaps one Caryatid (not quite sure on Elvish Mystic #4).
LokiTheLiar

Postby LokiTheLiar » 10 Oct 2014, 13:23

This week's FNM was a bit better than the last one. Made some changes to the list, the Elvish Mystics worked quite nicely, unanswered Polukranos or Siege Rhino on turn three is a huge threat, but I'm not sure if this is the deck I want to play, I think I'll try to make it more controlish.

Current decks:
Modern - Death and Taxes
Dandinstorm12
First Video: Sonic and the Black Knight Unskippable

Postby Dandinstorm12 » 22 Oct 2014, 21:37

Have you considered adding Anafenza, the Foremost over Banishing Light? Also, I think Wingmate Roc should absolutely make the deck
Root potato
First Video: Friday nights

Postby Root potato » 23 Oct 2014, 22:59

I agree that rocky should make the cut, abzan strategies tend to be attaching often, also, more removal might not hurt. I'd cut a brimaz for a murderous cut, or silence the believers. But that's just me
Root potato
First Video: Friday nights

Postby Root potato » 23 Oct 2014, 23:02

Also, forget end hostilities. Drown in sorrow, and bile blight are better for you, you are too creature heavy to USE end hostilities

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”