Modern Masters 2

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Jobiusrex
First Video: ENN episode something or other

Modern Masters 2

Postby Jobiusrex » 07 Dec 2014, 11:32

So that just got announced today, figured I might be excited by that but by the time I was finished reading the announcement I was just fully disappointed. They've announced it's going to be a whopping $9.99 MSRP, which means that draft is straight up $30 if your LGS is not charging any overhead, but not only that is the fact that it's likely going to be a limited printing so the price of packs is just going to skyrocket to where I'm almost willing to bet that on release I won't be able to find packs in my area under $15. I'm not sure what's going through their minds at wizards seeing as these single boosters are the price of whole old intro decks (before they started including boosters in them), or if they are deliberately setting themselves up for failure. As another example a single draft is the price of a commander deck from last years set at MSRP, I'm hoping someone has some merit they can argue for this product otherwise it just seems like a massive wasted product slot by WOTC.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Re: Modern Masters 2

Postby korvys » 07 Dec 2014, 11:58

Well, the cards in them are typically ones that have a short supply, and are wroth more as singles, so the EV on opening them is probably about the same as any standard booster.

A Modern deck can be hundreds of dollars, due to the cards no longer being printed. Reprinting them in MM and MM2 is a way to inject some supply into the market, hopefully making Modern easier to get into, and more popular over all.

Additionally, as a draft set, you get to play with old powerful cards, in a kind of cube-like format. Something not typical when drafting standard sets.

Of course, if you're not into Modern, you may not be interested.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
CrazyMax46
First Video: It was the first Unskipable.

Postby CrazyMax46 » 07 Dec 2014, 12:45

I mean, I'm pretty sure MMA was $20 a pack at one point...
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 07 Dec 2014, 12:48

Well, I think they looked at how many packs they sold of an expensive booster set entirely made up of Modern legal reprints, and how many packs they sold of a cheaper booster set made up of some Legacy and Modern legal reprints and fun-draft cards.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Dec 2014, 14:55

JayBlanc wrote:Well, I think they looked at how many packs they sold of an expensive booster set entirely made up of Modern legal reprints, and how many packs they sold of a cheaper booster set made up of some Legacy and Modern legal reprints and fun-draft cards.

The two sets really aren't comparable. Conspiracy didn't really have any huge modern cards that really needed reprinting as far as I'm aware (as in no Goyf or Bob level of card). It also had a unique drafting and play experience, being built for multiplayer. That means it ended up being harder to do as a normal, consistent draft format. I got tired of Conspiracy after the third game due to the fact that I dislike multiplayer formats. I'd rather draft Modern Masters over Conspiracy just because it's a more stable format. But even without that, Conspiracy would have sold much better if it had some big chase cards that saw a lot of play rather than some that saw little-to-moderate play (as far as I'm aware).

As for the MMA2 announcement, I more annoyed that it's going to be another limited print run (confirmed by Wizards on Twitter). The $10 price tag minimum is pretty bad in my opinion. I'm not going to spend $30 on a draft when there's still going to be the large variance of price between rares. And $30 is the minimum price for drafting. They mentioned that it's going to be a larger print run than MMA1, but I don't think that'll help much. Even if the print run is 5x the size of MMA1, stores are going to overcharge for packs because they can. And as long as there are some big cards in it, people will buy it up anyways. Because it'll be the only way outside of MTGO to actually get it. That might change after the first few weeks if it is much larger. But I feel like it's going to be a situation where you'll be lucky or have a good LGS to get packs at MSRP.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 07 Dec 2014, 15:29

Can someone clarify for me what the MSRP of MMA was? Because even from the beginning of the format, MMA drafts cost me $40 (aka, twice the price of a typical draft), but that's obviously not quite a fair comparison to everyone because I know that the fact that a normal draft costs me $20 seems enormous to most people on here because they're used to boosters costing less.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 07 Dec 2014, 15:30

MSRP was $7 for MMA1. I think the first draft I did costed $30-35. A normal one is $15.
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 07 Dec 2014, 15:41

Unfortunately at this stage, I can't find if anyone has confirmed what the price will be in Australia, but assuming no shenanigans if a regular booster is $6 and MMA1 entered the market at something like $12 (I never bought boosters, I only ever drafted with it -- I know I paid $40 and another LGS ran them for $36), looks like MMA2 will be around $16? I have no idea if I am even nearly correct on that, it's really little more than a guess.

If that guess is correct, I guess drafts will be around $50 which is, yes, steep, but then I guess I just have to look at what cards they're reprinting.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”