Loading Ready Sealed League

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Loading Ready Sealed League

Postby Lord Hosk » 13 Jul 2015, 15:24

Im open to suggestions, I feel like the powerful pools just got more powerful, the medium decks all got a little better and a few decks just got nothing.

I got a bunch of good cards in my dragons pool but they were all top end stuff and I was already pretty well set for the top end.

As I see it the option are.

Add two packs of Origins.
Add two packs of whatever.
reset with 6 packs of Origins.

Add packs but make it 60 card decks?

reset with 4 packs of Origins and 30 card decks then add two?

Throw out ideas, lets have a discussion. Im trying to act as a moderator/facilitator of this league rather than it being "my league" but that means you folks who are playing need to speak up.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 13 Jul 2015, 15:35

I don't mind the idea of resetting, because eventually there is an upper limit to the pool size, but I don't think the reset necessarily has to happen now. Zendikar seems like a very natural spot for a reset.

So for now I propose adding 2 packs of origins, and reset with a new pool come Zendikar's release.
abanytar
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Postby abanytar » 13 Jul 2015, 15:46

zarbit wrote:Does anyone have ideas for future leagues? I don't know if adding Origins packs to our pools would make a lot of difference from what we all have now, though I don't know if Origins will play nicely with BFZ either. I almost want to wait for BFZ, do 6-pack sealed of that, then add preferably 3 packs when Stock (the winter set) comes out, and reset come Barrel in the spring.

I second this motion. I'd be interested in block-specific Sealed pools. I would think that even if we added Origins packs, I'd play very few cards now and then dump even the few I did play when Zendikar gets battled.

So, for now, I say let's do 2 packs of whatever, even including Theros! I'd be up for a bit of a crazy meta to shake things up for the last season before resetting at Zendikar.
Last edited by abanytar on 13 Jul 2015, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jul 2015, 15:49

I still like the 40-card decks, personally, no matter what we do. I'm game for either adding 2 Origins packs or resetting with 6 packs of Origins.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

zarbit
First Video: CHustle - Resolved

Postby zarbit » 13 Jul 2015, 17:01

I very much want to reset with BFZ, and have some system for blocks going forward. Something like 6 packs large, 3 packs small (for proper sealed at start, and MEGA SEALED the last half), or 4 packs large(30 min deck size), 2 packs small (better approximates "true" sealed format).

As far as Origins is concerned, I think giving it its own league for 3 months with either 4 packs or 6 would be best (as far as the cards having impact, at least). 6 packs gives you a truer sealed experience, whereas 4 packs is a bit nicer for everybody's budget, given (in this hypothetical) they only see 3 months of play.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jul 2015, 17:10

If we separate Origins into its own limited-time thing, I'd prefer 4 packs rather than 6, now that I think about it. If we're adding BFZ packs to our Origins pool, though, I'd prefer 6 Origin packs.

AliceK52
First Video: Unskippable

Postby AliceK52 » 13 Jul 2015, 17:20

If you decide on new Origins pools, I'd like to join. (If not I'll jump in when BFZ comes out.)
Sandringham
First Video: Anette: Internet Receptionist

Postby Sandringham » 13 Jul 2015, 21:31

Another option perhaps is to have a rotation system like in standard - one set in, one set out. So we could add 2-3 packs of Origins and remove Kahns, then when BFZ comes out, another set can leave rotation etc.
RebelliousUno
First Video: don't recall came after unskippable

Postby RebelliousUno » 13 Jul 2015, 22:43

I'm up for a complete reset with origins. Happy for a 6 pack or a 4 pack, would prefer a 6 pack origins. Also don't mind then resetting to a 6 then 3 rotation going forward.
If it turns into just adding origins packs to my current pool I may well sit out till bfz
DomesticSleepers
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby DomesticSleepers » 13 Jul 2015, 23:11

I feel like I'd be happiest with a complete reset of Origins stuff, then probably another when BFZ comes out, with the future option of adding stuff to the Zendikar packs as smaller sets come out. My thought is basically "I want to play an mtgo prerelease sealed, and using those packs for more stuff sounds fun", much the way the league got started to begin with.

The other line of reasoning is that a full reset will result in a more level playing field, and should make the decks we end up with feel more different than they would if we left in our Khans block stuff. Origins isn't really meant to be a multicolor decks set, between the double cost rares and general lack of fixing, so our Khans fixing tools could just end up letting those who have better fixing run a rather absurd number of rares. I dig wacky stuff, but I think having a more reasonable power level in decks is probably for the best.
DomesticSleepers or Sjlangenegger on most anyplace I go.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 14 Jul 2015, 00:28

As one of the decks that got nothing, I was looking at resetting anyway, so that's my vote.
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 14 Jul 2015, 02:04

Assuming we're resetting maybe we could arrange a time to do a six pack sealed together once origins is released?
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 14 Jul 2015, 02:42

Duckay [2-1] Omega Lairon

It doesn't get much more tense than that game 3. Nicely done, and good luck with the next season!

Speaking of which, I vote for "start over with all Origins". Partly because some of the old Khans cards are starting to show their age, partly because some of the top end decks have gotten thoroughly ridiculous, and partly because DTK has no real mana fixing, so we're sorta stuck in the colour combinations we're already using. The possibility of pulling dual lands from Origins will help shake things up a bit.

EDIT: To clarify - doing a 6-booster sealed event, similar to how we started this league in the first place, seems like the most efficient and fun way to reset everything. Plus this way we get 6 boosters to play around with afterwards.
Last edited by Omega Lairon on 14 Jul 2015, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 14 Jul 2015, 06:47

For everyone supporting resetting with Origins, can you make it clear whether you support the 4-pack or 6-pack format? (Some of you have already.)

DomesticSleepers

Postby DomesticSleepers » 14 Jul 2015, 14:13

My own vote goes toward the 6-pack Origins reset plan, ideally with a coordinated sealed pre-release thing, and I further recommend we get a strawpoll going so it becomes easier to see how people feel. Perhaps we should collate a few more possible suggestions first, but after we've given people some time to speak their minds, a poll seems good.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 14 Jul 2015, 16:57

Adi_Pie (adi_pie) 2/0 Antitonic (JakeWaffleman)

And sorry, yeah, 6 packs makes more sense to me, judging off a sealed event type thing.
adi_pie
First Video: Fun with condoms

Postby adi_pie » 14 Jul 2015, 17:03

I'd also like a reset with 6 packs of Origins, and I'M down for a coordinated sealed pre-release to start things off.
zarbit
First Video: CHustle - Resolved

Postby zarbit » 14 Jul 2015, 17:52

Coordinating a prerelease event of our own would be fairly difficult, but definitely worth it. Sign me up!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 14 Jul 2015, 19:31

My only concern about that is doesn't the prerelease provide additional cards (the coloured pack) over a regular sealed pool of 6 boosters? That would put anyone who can't make it to the prerelease event at a disadvantage in the next season of the league.
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 15 Jul 2015, 00:51

I assumed we'd be doing a normal release sealed, rather than a pre-release one. Although I think I remember seeing that they are still doing the stupid thing where you can't use packs for the release sealed.
Mooriarty
First Video: the secret life of toast

Postby Mooriarty » 15 Jul 2015, 08:23

the reset sounds neat, I want a new pool to play around with :>

no real opinion on 4/6, just whatever you guys agree on.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 15 Jul 2015, 10:35

I'm in if there's an Origins reset. I'm definitely going to be playing in the MTGO prerelease, and I feel like it would be fun to start out with that pool for the league. Of course, as folks have pointed out, there's a bonus seven cards... I can't really think of a realistic way to rectify that, other than allowing those who don't make the prerelease to select four commons, two uncommons, and a rare from their collection to add to their pool, perhaps with the stipulation that they must declare the colour and make the selections first, then open the rest of their pool packs?

Either way, I'm in if there's a reset.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Jul 2015, 11:50

AdmiralMemo 2/0 Mooriarity

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 15 Jul 2015, 11:50

AdmiralMemo 2/0 Mooriarity

DomesticSleepers

Postby DomesticSleepers » 15 Jul 2015, 13:05

DomesticSleepers 2/0 RebelliousUno

The games themselves were quite close, but I always managed to have a last minute burn spell to toss to the dome. GGs just the same.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”