Loading Ready Sealed League

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
zarbit
First Video: CHustle - Resolved

Re: Loading Ready Sealed League

Postby zarbit » 05 Apr 2016, 18:42

I'll be back for SOI for sure, the set looks awesome. And I missed paper prereleases due to work, so I have to make up for that.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 05 Apr 2016, 23:48

DeathNDecay wrote:Throwing my two cents into the ring. When you feel that your pool is super weak and their is nothing you can do, that sucks. However buying additional packs every two losses seems a bit silly since statistically most of us will go 4-4, resulting in two additional packs. Sometimes weak sealed decks are weak because of the pool or how the deck is constructed or Worth wrecking us. Id rather wait and after the season is over (and the eldritch moon expansion is out) and allow additional packs based on the final record. If you went 0-8 or 1-7 you could add two additional boosters of your choice, and if you went 3-5 or 2-6 you could add 1 booster of your choice (shadows or eldrich). I know its more conservative, but it allows for sealed league power levels not to change during a season, making it sometimes unfair to those who play certain people early vs late.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the issue in a much better way than I could express. It seems a little unfair if the opponent you would be facing in round 3 / 5 / 7 would have had a deck roughly on par with yours, but they happened to rip a Jace while already playing blue, and you got an off colour "meh" rare. A round earlier, and you might have had a more fair match, but just due to (essentially) a die roll to determine opponent order, you could be seriously blown out through no real fault of your own.

The "packs after final round" plan feels a whole lot better, especially since the next season will most likely be a case of "add 3 packs" instead of starting over entirely like we are this time. Players who have had a rough time of it get more chances at good cards, while dominant players just get the default. But since it's be a whole new league starting from 0 wins/losses, it's a lot more fair. No nasty surprises.

And going forward, that seems like the best way to handle it. We take leagues in pairs, to correspond with the big/small set of each block, and make all the power adjustments in the middle. Granted, not everyone will have the option to participate in both leagues of a full block though... maybe they can "save up" their bonus packs for the next league they participate in? (but if they don't use 'em, it goes away... can't have any stockpiling now. : p )

But yeah, seems like the most logical / fair solution.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
SaloAbraxas
First Video: I cannot remember. Sorry!

Postby SaloAbraxas » 06 Apr 2016, 12:18

I imagine I'll be back for SOI. I like the idea of the number of packs we add at Eldritch Moon to vary based on first half record.
Randus2003
First Video: the couch

Postby Randus2003 » 06 Apr 2016, 15:07

Omega Lairon wrote:...but just due to (essentially) a die roll to determine opponent order...

just thought I would say: you give me way to much credit "a die roll" would probably be an improvement in my pairing system once we get past round 4ish.

also I see the merit in your power concerns so to put my plan out there for the bonus pack possibility here we go:

when you (anyone who wishes to participate in this season) submit your pool I want a yes or no (a lack of answer = you don't care ether way and will not be counted toward the % below) to the following question: are you ok with runners adding extra packs during or post season?
then if we as a group generate an 80% (so high b/c it is such a large change)answer of yes (from the above question) I'll ask the follow-up question with week 1 pairings asking: what is your preference preferably as a direct message to me to prevent outside pressure or influence:
A - giving everyone the option to trade 2 loses for a pack, your 1st 2 loses cant be traded in and you can add a max of 2 packs.
B - allowing everyone with a 4-4 record to add an extra pack for E.Moon and those with a 2-6 or worse record to add another extra pack.
C - same as A except these cards must be removed from your pool when E.Moon starts.
D - I would prefer no one gets extra packs
E and beyond will go to any other options that get suggested between now and then.

when I post week 1 results (assuming we get this far) I will also post the winning option.
Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 09 Apr 2016, 04:41

Have you thought about using a website to do the pairings? I'm sure I saw one during the pre-pre-release and I've seen others before.
For example I registered an account on http://challonge.com made a simple swiss, copied and pasted the names from the last league, selected random seeds and got this. Seems like it might make pairings easier for you.
http://challonge.com/zyfrx8sw
Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 11 Apr 2016, 09:09

Wooglie wrote:Have you thought about using a website to do the pairings? I'm sure I saw one during the pre-pre-release and I've seen others before.
For example I registered an account on http://challonge.com made a simple swiss, copied and pasted the names from the last league, selected random seeds and got this. Seems like it might make pairings easier for you.
http://challonge.com/zyfrx8sw

Thanx for the advice but my current excel method works fine. It only takes 10-30 min to do pairings/postings every week most of which is copying scores then double checking for re-pairs...the only real issues I have is that around week 5/6 there are no easy/ good pairs because of this people tend to get paired up or down by a 6+ match point difference.
KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 14 Apr 2016, 11:52

When it comes to pairings, matching rank is much more important in tournaments with Swiss rounds. When it comes to our League, which runs much closer to actual round robin, the most straight-forward way is to determine the entire season of pairings before week one, once you know exactly who is participating, since like you said after a few weeks it's difficult to impossible to match everybody with others that have similar rankings.
zarbit
First Video: CHustle - Resolved

Postby zarbit » 15 Apr 2016, 05:12

It seems like the one thing making round pairing really difficult (to respect records and avoid re-pairs) is we keep not having enough players for 6-8 rounds of play. With less than 16 or 32 players, matches get 'mispaired' very easily. Since 'mispaired' matches seems pretty unavoidable, I'm in favor of just posting one big schedule with all the matches week to week.
Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 16 Apr 2016, 17:58

well then, lets kick this off now that SOI has hit MTGO;

1st - the requirements to submit:

1 - a screen shot of a regular sealed pool (that's a pool of 90 cards including basics) showing the build clock or league deck save. or 7 screen shots showing 6 packs (the open product screen) and your whole pool.
- in case it wasn't clear: you are aloud to switch your pool up until the deadline at which point I will download the posted screen shots and the pools will be considered locked.

REMINDER: a pre-release sealed pool comes with an extra rare (91 cards) and is there for not the legal size for the Runners sealed league.

edit: given recent events - If you wish to use a pre-release pool I will allow it for this season only! assuming that there is only 1 foil rare/mythic rare in the pool (aka the promo card) that can be easily removed. I will not allow this in the future so please plan accordingly.

2 - your MTGO name (if it's not already in this thread).
3 - your timezone (this I a new request that will hopefully make setting up a time to have your match easier).
4 - a vote in this: https://strawpoll.me/7393632 curtesy Omega_Lairon (this is not required but recommended if you want your opinion heard). also please don't vote unless you are playing (to prevent skewing the results).

2nd - the deadline:

I'm thinking noon on 4-24-16 moonbase time (with that said if people want an extra week I could be convinced to push it out some).

3rd - side notes:

1 - remember all are welcome new runners and old (so spread the word).
2 - reminder: the only thing on the line is bragging rights so please come to have fun.
3 - round 1 pairings will go up shortly after the submittal deadline.

4th - k, I'm pretty sure that's everything may you all have good pulls.
Last edited by Randus2003 on 18 Apr 2016, 17:58, edited 2 times in total.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 16 Apr 2016, 19:31

Alright alright - let's get this Innistrad party started.

CARDS:
Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

Pack 4

Pack 5

Pack 6

Full Pool

A few avenues of deckbuilding immediately stand out, and it looks like I'll have enough depth for most colours and a few of the main archetypes to really experiment with builds. Should be fun, and hopefully it doesn't take too many rounds to really home in on what's working and what's not.

USERNAME: Omega_Lairon
TIMEZONE: UTC +10 (AEST - Australian Eastern Standard)

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
DeathNDecay
First Video: I dont remember

Postby DeathNDecay » 16 Apr 2016, 23:31

Sorry for the drama. I found the perfect sealed pool after trying out the new sealed leagues. Its probably not as strong as my last pool but definately more fun to play. Infinitely more.
http://imgur.com/wNO0ar0

MTGO Name: Allenzo
Time Zone: PST {gmt - 8}
Last edited by DeathNDecay on 21 Apr 2016, 14:26, edited 7 times in total.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 17 Apr 2016, 01:01

Here's my pool, and individual packs. Or the full album, if you'd prefer.

CARDS:
Pack 1

Pack 2

Pack 3

Pack 4

Pack 5

Pack 6

Full Pool

AwkwardFart.wav

Who even knows how to play this game?

USERNAME: JakeWaffleman
TIMEZONE: UTC +10 (AEST - Australian Eastern Standard)
hacofo
First Video: DB5 Stream

Postby hacofo » 17 Apr 2016, 02:33

Since both prereleases went pretty bad I'll have to wait till gameday before I can post my pool.
Or mtgo traders/academy set them to available.
KeiranLC
First Video: unskippable

Postby KeiranLC » 17 Apr 2016, 11:16

I didn't check closely in my pool but do the prerelease pools on MtGO have an additional foil card in them, bringing it up to 91?
hacofo

Postby hacofo » 17 Apr 2016, 11:41

@KeiranLC
The Prerelease sealed has an additional Promo Card, yes.
SaloAbraxas

Postby SaloAbraxas » 17 Apr 2016, 21:06

I'll post a pool in the next couple days after the regular leagues begin. But first I wanted to share my opponent's board just before I lost in my first match of the format. I'm not feeling particularly lucky this time...

Wooglie
First Video: Desert Bus

Postby Wooglie » 18 Apr 2016, 02:58

I just remembered I'm away for a couple of weeks in May so I'll drop out to avoid people missing games.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Apr 2016, 03:52

I'm assuming I can take a Prerelease pool, pull out the promo card (easy to find because it was foil Sigarda), and use that?

My Pool - Click to Expand

Username: AdmiralMemo
Time Zone: UTC -4
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 18 Apr 2016, 10:23

AdmiralMemo wrote:I'm assuming I can take a Prerelease pool, pull out the promo card (easy to find because it was foil Sigarda), and use that?

My Pool - Click to Expand

Username: AdmiralMemo
Time Zone: UTC -4

How to put this...given I already made DeathNDecay update his pool (was a prerelease pool) I'm inclined to ask you to do the same. With that said I understand that in the case of some pools it's easier to identify the promo and just remove it. Give the above and the fact that they already updated there pool...I'll let DeathNDecay make the call.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Apr 2016, 10:49

OK, then either this flies, someone funds me the packs/tickets (because I'm super broke at the moment, and had to save up for a good long time to play on Saturday), or I don't play this round. I'd be pretty bummed about not playing, but I guess that's how it goes. :|

hacofo

Postby hacofo » 18 Apr 2016, 11:40

As long as I don't have to take my prereleases pool and the promo card is clearly decernable I'm more or less neutral to using them…
In this case I think it's a good idea to let DeathNDecay decide since he is already down 6 packs.
SaloAbraxas

Postby SaloAbraxas » 18 Apr 2016, 16:37

As far as sponsoring people goes, would it be kosher to enter a league, screen shot the cards, play the matches, then loan all the cards to someone looking to play?
DeathNDecay
First Video: I dont remember

Postby DeathNDecay » 18 Apr 2016, 17:26

Since it falls to me, I say its fine that memo goes with his prerelease pool this time. I wouldn't want to disqualify him as there was some confusion. I am a bit miffed that I had to buy 6 packs before we could straighten this out though. From here on out, I suggest we have a vote about if we will allow prerelease pools in the future. I Would also like the right to use the original prerelease pool if I choose so, assuming I lock it in by the deadline.
Randus2003

Postby Randus2003 » 18 Apr 2016, 18:01

SaloAbraxas wrote:As far as sponsoring people goes, would it be kosher to enter a league, screen shot the cards, play the matches, then loan all the cards to someone looking to play?

if you chose to help someone out, that is between you and them so I don't care how you chose to go about it....just as long as the pool is posted under there name.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 18 Apr 2016, 18:16

DeathNDecay wrote:Since it falls to me, I say its fine that memo goes with his prerelease pool this time. I wouldn't want to disqualify him as there was some confusion. I am a bit miffed that I had to buy 6 packs before we could straighten this out though. From here on out, I suggest we have a vote about if we will allow prerelease pools in the future. I Would also like the right to use the original prerelease pool if I choose so, assuming I lock it in by the deadline.
I just read your post and looked at your first pool. Isn't it fairly obvious that your promo is Diregraf Colossus since you only have 2 foils and only one is rare?

A prerelease pool = 6 packs plus a foil rare/mythic promo, right? There's no more "seeding" right? So I think you could just take out the Colossus and use that, if I were running this.

And I'm sorry for all the confusion I caused. :-(

Now if you're super lucky and get more than one foil rare/mythic in your prerelease pool, it's not as easy to pull out your promo, granted...

If it's not acceptable, I did have someone PM me with an offer to help me out this round with packs. So we'll see how it goes.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”