Loading Ready Sealed League

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Loading Ready Sealed League

Postby Lord Hosk » 08 Feb 2015, 16:07

There was some interest in organizing a MTGO sealed league.

If you are interested here are the rough plans feel free to add ideas.

Pairings will be posted on Sunday midnight 12:01 Eastern Daylight Time (roughly) You have until 11:59 the next sunday to post results which gives you 8 days. If you cannot get together you get a tie. If one person just does not respond the person who is actively trying needs to contact me and they can be awarded a win with the unresponsive person awarded a loss.

Rules

1. You must post your MTGO name here in the forum.

2. Take a screenshot of either your sealed pool from a Release Sealed 3KTK 3XFRF (the preferred method)
2a. Alternate Crack 3 packs of Fate together then 3 packs of Kahns together and screenshot the "New Product" windows that appear.

3.You must post your card pool screenshot in the thread this will serve as deck registration. You can use spoiler tags around the image to keep things neat and tidy. If you have not posted the time your first weeks match results are posted you will be dropped.

4. Build a 40 card deck with all your cards and add all other cards and as many of each basic land as you might need to your sideboard, this will allow you to side into any other deck mid match.
4a. You do not have to post your deck(I would recommend not)

5. Wait for the weeks pairings to be posted then arrange with your pair to play your match best two out of three games.

6. One or both of you post your results Please post your results in Greenor yellow so they are easy to pick out in a quick scan. Results should be posted like this:

Forum name (Mtgo name) # / # Forum name (Mtgo name)

The league season will last for 8 rounds I will update the first page each week with scores.

When we reach the end of the season, I will declare "SEASON WINNERS" the top people.

Rules Season 2..3..4

1. At the start of season two you may crack two addition packs screen shot the "new product added" You may choose any packs currently in standard at the start of the season.

2. Post the screenshot of the cracked packs here.

3. Rebuild your deck, add the additional cards to your sideboard and or deck.

4. Play just as season one with new pairings posted Sunday.

At the end of Season 4 we will have a "season winner" tournament for a league champion.

We will then reset to a new 6 pack pool. (unless people want to do fewer seasons)

General rules:
You are responsible for maintaining your deck, if you trade away cards in the deck you will have to continue the league without those cards or rebuy them you may not substitute a different card.

If neither you or your opponent post a score by Sunday at midnight EST you will each be awarded 3 draws so dont leave it to "oh the other person said they would post it I beat them 2-0." I am willing to take on administration for this, im not going to hunt you all down.

If someone has a deck you feel is too good, screenshot the match with cards in question visible. I wont take "there is no way its that good" or "there is no way they had two 'hunt the weak' off the top, but if you have a screenshot of someone with 4 of a card in play or playing with 4 different rares from one set or other card add cheating I will boot them from the league. There are print runs in MTGO packs just like in paper and if I have to I will check someones deck/list to see if the cards follow it, please dont make me thats a lot of work.

SEASON ONE TOP 4

7 1 0 dr_killinger
6 1 1 Duckay
6 2 0 Felix_Farstrike
6 2 0 Archieo

Current players: 26
Forum Name -- MTGO Name
Record (game win% --- Match Wins --- Match Loses --- Opponents game win %)

SEASON TWO REGISTERED

Alex_Kon (Alex_Kon)
Sacred_rhino (sacred_rhino)
SaloAbraxas (SaloAbraxas)
Antitonic (JakeWaffleman)
AdmiralMemo (AdmiralMemo)
Sandringham (Sandringham)
Zarbit (Zarbit)
dr_killinger (dr_killinger)
leebenningfield (leebenningfield)
Duckay (Duckay)
DomesticSleepers (DomesticSleepers)
Maddrius (Maddrius)
Felix_Farstrike (Felix_Farstrike)
Lord Hosk (Lord_Hosk)
Abanytar (venerable_bede)
Wooglie (Wooglie)
Mooriarty (Mooriarty)
RebelliousUno (RebelliousUno)
Adi_Pie (Adi_Pie)
Randus2003 (Randus2003)
hascow (hascow)
Sarah (Serinde)
Omega Lairon (Omega_Lairon)
Puls3evo (Puls3evo)
eltrov (eltrov)
UglyDuckling (Greylace)
Dix (Dixonij)
selenes92(Eviltwinkie92)
ZePancakes (ZePancakes)
CaffinatedLeamur

Still missing from season one

Archieo (Shalok)
korvys (korvys)
Cabalasp (Cabalasp)
dougma (dougnap)
Notomtolose (Notomtolose)
Under_Score (Bitera)
blackwlf (blackwlf)
Gelgarin (Gelgarin)
Mogling (Mogling)
unremitting (unremitting)
Artirian_Legacy (Artirian_Legacy)
Last edited by Lord Hosk on 17 May 2015, 01:20, edited 49 times in total.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: Loading Ready Sealed League

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Feb 2015, 22:34

I'm interested in this. :)

Question: When deck-building, can we use alternate versions of the same cards, as long as they match what we pulled? Like, if I wanted to use a foil Bloodfell Caves that I had, or if I wanted to use a Gatecrash Act of Treason or an Urza's Saga Arc Lightning, would that be permitted?
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

hascow
First Video: Clubbing Your Friends

Postby hascow » 09 Feb 2015, 11:44

I'm interested in this for sure.

I'll second Memo's question and then add my own: I assume we'll be doing this in Freeform because it might be the only way to actually make it work. Can we have sealed-sized sideboards in Freeform? Otherwise we'll have to create new games to actually play G2/G3 and then concede based on who won the first one/two.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 09 Feb 2015, 11:57

I'd be interested, and I'll have to get together the entry requirements before I can commit.
Maddrius
First Video: Strip Search

Postby Maddrius » 09 Feb 2015, 12:04

I'm in.

Do you want to get a rough headcount and/or wait for a specific start date before we go collect our pools?

I like the idea of joing one of the sealed events, then using that for the pool.

Also, would anyone have reservations or concerns about people streaming these matches? Might be nice to have replays for folks who would be interested, but thought I might ask before presuming.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 09 Feb 2015, 12:07

A question - would it be the kind of league where you gain additional packs over time?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 09 Feb 2015, 14:52

Atifexe wrote:A question - would it be the kind of league where you gain additional packs over time?
I hope so.

Also, just for clarification: these are 40-card decks, right?

Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 09 Feb 2015, 19:47

AdmiralMemo wrote:Question: When deck-building, can we use alternate versions of the same cards, as long as they match what we pulled?

They are the same card functionally but to avoid confusion it might be easier to just use the version of the cards you pulled. I don't have a problem with using alternate art cards personally I just find it more strait forward and less open to people raising questions, avoid the problem rather than create it and explain how its not really a problem.

hascow wrote:I assume we'll be doing this in Freeform because it might be the only way to actually make it work. Can we have sealed-sized sideboards in Freeform? Otherwise we'll have to create new games to actually play G2/G3 and then concede based on who won the first one/two.

You can build your deck with as large of a sideboard as you want for freeform matches. One thing though is if you have a "second deck" to sideboard into you need to have the basics IN your sideboard before the match. I recommend just adding 10 or 12 of each type to the sideboard.

Maddrius wrote:Do you want to get a rough headcount and/or wait for a specific start date before we go collect our pools?

It came up in chat so I was just trying to get the ball rolling and gauge interest I didn't have a set time to start in mind. I for sure wanted to bring it up on the Thursday Magic stream and during next weeks fan draft to get the word out that we are planning it.

AdmiralMemo wrote:Also, just for clarification: these are 40-card decks, right?

If we go with a 6 pack sealed then yes it would be 40 card decks continuous build just like at a prerelease (only you dont get to add in a promo card) If it is a add a pack sort of thing where you start with other than 6 packs it would have to be a different minimum size.

Atifexe wrote:A question - would it be the kind of league where you gain additional packs over time?

My initial idea was that it would just be the same six packs start to finish. But I would have no problem doing a different format.

If we were doing a add a pack thing when would we add a pack?
Would you still start at 6 packs?
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
hascow

Postby hascow » 10 Feb 2015, 08:50

Usually add-a-pack leagues start at the normal 6 packs, and then you add a pack a week before you start the next week's matches. That pack can be of any legal pack in the format.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Feb 2015, 10:48

I think that might take the league out of peoples price range as it could more than double the entry requirement.

I dont have a problem with it personally but I think the appeal was that it would be a one time investment for continued play rather an a weekly fee to play.

[–]Graham_LRR
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Feb 2015, 12:52

Lord Hosk wrote:
AdmiralMemo wrote:Question: When deck-building, can we use alternate versions of the same cards, as long as they match what we pulled?
They are the same card functionally but to avoid confusion it might be easier to just use the version of the cards you pulled. I don't have a problem with using alternate art cards personally; I just find it more straight-forward and less open to people raising questions to avoid the problem, rather than create it and explain how it's not really a problem.
Sure. This is why I wanted to ask ahead of time. :)
I MIGHT do a foil instead of a regular, but that would be the same card art and expansion and such, so it wouldn't cause confusion.
Lord Hosk wrote:
My initial idea was that it would just be the same six packs start to finish. But I would have no problem doing a different format.

If we were doing a add a pack thing when would we add a pack?
Would you still start at 6 packs?
OK, since I looked up what "league" was when this post came up to see whether I was interested, I assumed we were doing the add-a-pack thing. A static pool might end up getting stale and boring after you've played everyone else 10 times, since you'll know how to tune your decks for each match-up. How adding a pack after everyone has played everyone else? That'll take a good long while, so it won't be as much of an investment to worry about, but it'll keep things from being stale.
Lord Hosk wrote:I think that might take the league out of peoples price range as it could more than double the entry requirement.
I'm not sure how adding one pack per rotation "doubles" the entry requirement. I might not have everything clear, but it would take 6 rotations to double the entry requirement, from what I can tell. With the time zone issues and at least 8 people, I'm assuming everyone playing everyone else would take two weeks to a month.

Puls3evo
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Puls3evo » 10 Feb 2015, 14:39

I definitely am interested and want in on this league.

My questions are these:
-As with the add-a-pack, what happens when Dragons of Tarkir releases, if the league continues into there?

-What happens if parts of our deck are accidentally traded to bots? Especially relevant for people who rely on trading to play at minimal costs.

If you look up Top Deck Games Sealed League, they detail their rules for their seasonal league, and it seems to work very well.

I assume since this is just an interest thread the actual structures will come later, but again, count me in!
Puls3evo on almost everything.
Current MTG Decks: EDH Aurelia's Combat Training
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 10 Feb 2015, 15:20

Puls3evo wrote:-As with the add-a-pack, what happens when Dragons of Tarkir releases, if the league continues into there?
Well, what I saw on descriptions of leagues, if you add a pack, you add a pack that's legal in the league. I'm assuming the league organizers determine what's legal.
I'm wondering if what we're doing will be a Standard-legal league, or maybe a KTK block league or what. (I do have a ton of M15 packs I could add if it's Standard. :D)

Puls3evo
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Puls3evo » 10 Feb 2015, 16:22

Oh, I just thought of another question, or at least another idea: Would there be an easily accessible way to organize matches between people, like a controlled Google Doc, or would it be just a scheduled Day and Time, like the fan drafts?
Puls3evo on almost everything.
Current MTG Decks: EDH Aurelia's Combat Training
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 10 Feb 2015, 18:04

My plan was "here are this weeks pairing, you two work it out and report back."

[–]Graham_LRR
DomesticSleepers
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby DomesticSleepers » 10 Feb 2015, 18:42

Whether we do or do now end up adding packs, I'm really liking this idea. Any excuse to get more play time out of a sealed game is a good time. That said, I would vote toward adding packs over time in some fashion.
DomesticSleepers or Sjlangenegger on most anyplace I go.
Antitonic
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Antitonic » 10 Feb 2015, 22:29

I'm liking the idea, especially since it's a "when you can" system rather than "here's your schedule". Consider me in if it gets running.

Perhaps we could add a pack or packs as part of a "season"? We could even add packs from outside the standard setting, seeing as it's Runner operated. Just think, you could run a deck that only had M10-15. It'd probably be terrible, but it could happen...

Theoretically, we'd have to register our pool at the very least. What about deck registration? Or would it be more informal than that?
Under_Score
First Video: Unskippable Pilot

Postby Under_Score » 10 Feb 2015, 23:14

I'd totally be up for more ways to play magic with the Runners. I personally am for the idea of adding a pack every so often, since that's the part that's always appealed to me when I've heard people (mainly Cameron) talk about sealed league.
-Under Underscore Score (or just Underscore for short)
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Feb 2015, 01:46

Antitonic wrote:We could even add packs from outside the standard setting, seeing as it's Runner operated. Just think, you could run a deck that only had M10-15. It'd probably be terrible, but it could happen...
Well, I'm assuming the league organizers would be the ones to say what expansions are legal to add.

Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 11 Feb 2015, 02:55

That's what I meant, as opposed to WotC-sanctioned judges and the like.

Words, I can use them. :P
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Feb 2015, 05:38

Antitonic wrote:Theoretically, we'd have to register our pool at the very least. What about deck registration? Or would it be more informal than that?

The plan was that you would either open a pool in a 'sanctioned' event on MTGO or you would open 6 packs and then post a screenshot here of the cards in your pool.

Puls3evo wrote:
-What happens if parts of our deck are accidentally traded to bots? Especially relevant for people who rely on trading to play at minimal costs.

If you trade away your cards you would be responsible to either buy a replacement of that same card, or play without it. You wouldn't be able to add a different card to your pool as that just creates a incentive to "accidentally" sell a card so you can put something in that benefits your deck. There is also no way on mtgo to "proxy" a card.

[–]Graham_LRR
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Feb 2015, 05:42

Im 100% on board with adding a pack or two at the end of a "season" but not after each match.

How would people feel about this:

A season will last 8 matches at the end of the season players may add 2 packs that are currently standard legal. The player will have to crack the packs and screenshot the card pools and post that image here in the same way as posting the original pool.

[–]Graham_LRR
Antitonic

Postby Antitonic » 11 Feb 2015, 07:30

8 sounds about right for how many people I think are in already, it might need changing if more join. That is, if we're going round robin.
hascow

Postby hascow » 11 Feb 2015, 09:41

8 sounds about right to me. Would we play 1 match a week, or two matches a week? I could see either one working well.

As far as "deck registration", I'd assume we can mess around with our pool as much as we want to, similarly to a prerelease.
Lord Hosk

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Feb 2015, 10:25

I think one round/match per week, that gives everyone pleanty of time to get in touch with each other and plan out when they can meet. When you have to coordinate two work/life schedule in different time zones it can be tricky.

We both work 9-5 jobs and play Mtgo from 7-10 after work Mondy through Friday, its perfect. But one of you is in New York and the other in Sydney.

As for decks yeah, you post a picture of your pool and work however you want from that pool plus unlimited basics.

[–]Graham_LRR

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”