Standard Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
User avatar
Lycodrake
Posts: 119
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 05:48
First Video: Friday Nights
Location: TN, USA

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 10 Dec 2015, 10:17

I'll miss Rattleclaw Mystic, Brave the Sands, Dromoka, the Eternal, the Tarkir Refuges and Valorous Stance.
I'm probably the only person who likes Brave the Sands that much, haha.
Image
User avatar
Lycodrake
Posts: 119
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 05:48
First Video: Friday Nights
Location: TN, USA

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 12 Dec 2015, 12:18

I went 2-2-0 last night at FNM. Sunscorch Regent did really good work, as did my Stasis Snares.
Looking at the World Top 1-16 decks, I'm pleasantly surprised to see GW Eldrazi Ramp among the number, so my collection of Standard Ramp from Tarkir, Origins, and BFZ (so far) is looking better.
Don't have an Ulamog yet, though.
[edit]
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-03-15 ... e-eternal/
My current deck-list, for those interested/curious.
Image
fantôme
Posts: 510
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 09:13
First Video: mtgo drafts
Location: UK

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 12 Dec 2015, 13:14

What was clogging up the games that resulted in your two draws? Your deck seems like it'd be really good at punching through board-stalls.

ps. I pulled an Ulamog from my recent pauper spoils, kinda want to do something with him now...
User avatar
Lycodrake
Posts: 119
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 05:48
First Video: Friday Nights
Location: TN, USA

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 12 Dec 2015, 14:15

I've always put Wins-Losses-Draws like that, sorry for the confusion.
Granted, I did go against a Jaddi Offshoot-stall 'til ramp deck. I won because I kept up the pressure.
Image
User avatar
Macheya
Posts: 24
Joined: 27 May 2014, 20:58
First Video: The Dinner Party

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Macheya » 12 Dec 2015, 18:13

Hey, a Standard thread, sweet.

I'm not going to miss Rattleclaw. Sure, it's a good mana dork, but between Draconic Roar, Fiery Impulse and Radiant Flames, dork ramping isn't strong enough. A friend of mine runs RG (I run Jund) ramp into Ugin and Ulamog, and so far he's top-8'd the past four of five weeks, and top-4'd the past three. I hit top 8 the past three of four weeks, but no top 4.

Nissa's Pilgrimage, Explosive Vegetation and Nissa's Renewal are probably the best ramp package right now. It cuts off early burn, and between Radiant Flames, Roast and Rending Volley you'd be hard-pressed to lose to aggro.

I missed top 8 this week due to not having all the cards I needed and bad draws especially in game 3 of round 1 (drew fourteen lands and no threats; it was a REALLY weird game). I'm considering just going to RG and cutting black, but hand disruption is REALLY good so I'm torn.
fantôme
Posts: 510
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 09:13
First Video: mtgo drafts
Location: UK

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 13 Dec 2015, 12:41

Agreed with the ramping, the reason my Aurora combo deck was able to consistently get to 10+ mana was doing so through Nissa's Renewal and Animist's Awakening. It's a shame though, Rattleclaw is a really cool card.

Has anyone seen the Cold Hands deck? Tormenting Thoughts sacrificing Frost Walker or Deadbridge Shaman, and bounce + Demonic Pact shenanigans. Looks like it could be fun.
User avatar
Lycodrake
Posts: 119
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 05:48
First Video: Friday Nights
Location: TN, USA

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 12 Jan 2016, 11:43

I'm brewing up a deck centered around my 3 favorite OGW cards: Eldrazi Displacer, Steppe Glider, and Wall of Resurgence. Goldfish-ing it on TappedOut at the moment, but the other creature is Knight of the White Orchid, with the rest being White Awaken spells.
Not the best thing ever, but it's been fun Blinking WoR over and over for a larger and larger Plains or Waste. That and Blinking the Knight for more Plains. :)
Image
User avatar
square1
Posts: 140
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 11:05
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 12 Jan 2016, 12:15

I really want to build something around new Chandra. My current thoughts are UR Sphinx's Tutelage using her 0 ability to slam the opponent with mill and fuel Treasure Cruise for more mill, with Radiant Flames and Crush of Tentacles to hold off the hordes...

OR
RG Elemental Tribal, comboing her +1 with Omnath, Elemental Bond, and evolutionary leap to draw 2, get two creatures, and deal 6 damage with each activation.
fantôme
Posts: 510
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 09:13
First Video: mtgo drafts
Location: UK

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 12 Jan 2016, 13:42

My idea for Eldrazi Displacer is w/u control, building up to locking out my opponent by flickering Halimar Tidecaller to repeatedly Roil Spout or Scatter to the Winds. Probably not all that good. I do hope Displacer finds a home somewhere, he's a really cool card.

Chandra, Devour in Flames and Wandering Fumarole might finally make the Molten Vortex / Day's Undoing deck viable - which I'm going to be trying out at the next FNM.
User avatar
Booster
Posts: 140
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 07:37
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Booster » 18 Jan 2016, 13:13

The prerelease inspired me to do some brewing, and I put together this thing

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gideon-and-nissa-otp/

I'd love people's opinions on it, its still in the early stages, so I'd love feedback, and suggestions for sideboard cards (Aside from Dromoka's command I really have no idea what to put in my sideboard)
User avatar
square1
Posts: 140
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 11:05
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 18 Jan 2016, 14:43

Booster wrote:The prerelease inspired me to do some brewing, and I put together this thing

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gideon-and-nissa-otp/

I'd love people's opinions on it, its still in the early stages, so I'd love feedback, and suggestions for sideboard cards (Aside from Dromoka's command I really have no idea what to put in my sideboard)


The core idea seems to be to make a horde of allies and overrun with warcaller? I'd try to make sure every card focuses on that. First twenty two land seems low with landfall cards and advocate wanting you to get to 6. Maybe add evolving wilds or fetches?

Dromoka command seems much better than Nissa s judgment. I'd main deck that.

Since warcaller doesn't grant trample like overrun some evasion might be in order. Maybe abzan falconer with your counters subtheme?

Beyond that, your curve really spikes at three, so maybe some more early drops? Maybe stonehaven outfitter and stoneforge masterwork?

Hope that helps and good luck!
User avatar
Lycodrake
Posts: 119
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 05:48
First Video: Friday Nights
Location: TN, USA

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 18 Jan 2016, 18:17

So I got 2 Eldrazi Mimics, 2 Deceivers of Form, 1 Endbringer, and 1 Thought-Knot Seer through my (and my friend's/teammate's) cardpool and prize packs.
So I've decided to attempt a weird Eldrazi pile for Standard.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eldrazi- ... -zendikar/
Obviously a non-spooky-scary skeleton of what an actual FNM competitive deck needs to be, but thus far goldfish-ing it has been a blast.
Image
chetoos
Posts: 390
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 16:32
First Video: The Job

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby chetoos » 18 Jan 2016, 20:41

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rage-of-the-roil/
I'm thinking of replacing the wild slashes in here with the 3 mana spell that makes you return a land to your hand to deal 5 damage to a creature or planeswalker. Any other ideas or good cards from OGW to add to this thing, that really probably isn't going to be paper ever?
Edit: I just replaced Nissa, Vastwood Seer with Mina and Denn, and I think they're better, at least for this deck, since you basically can pay 2 mana for 2 landfall triggers in a turn.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
fantôme
Posts: 510
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 09:13
First Video: mtgo drafts
Location: UK

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 19 Jan 2016, 01:02

@Booster: Retreat to Emeria seems very powerful here - giving you access to instant-speed Ally tokens, I'd be tempted to feed it some more with at least a couple of Evolving Wilds.

I think sacrificing some synergy for a little more durability would be a good idea - a deck like this wants to stay aggressive whilst curving into solid creatures, Advocate and Warleader are great here - something like Citadel Castellan, (though not an Ally) might fit better than Druids/Outfitter.

@Lyco: Eldrazi pile definitely looks like a barrel of fun, I've been having trouble curating it without just ending up Flayer Drone & Hangarback shenanigans, but sticking to colourless - curving up to Walker of the Wastes and Reality Smasher seems really hard to beat.

@chetoos: Sylvan Advocate definitely gets in here. Devour in Flames I think would work if you went heavier into the land ramp - Nissa's Renewal can create pretty huge turns, and seven life is extremely nice on turn six (or earlier) against a lot of decks.

And personally, even with ramp, I never like going below 23 land, especially with some pretty large critters in there - but that could just be me.


Edit - right then, I guess we're doing this now: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/toast-3/
User avatar
Lycodrake
Posts: 119
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 05:48
First Video: Friday Nights
Location: TN, USA

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 19 Jan 2016, 04:52

fantôme wrote:@Lyco: Eldrazi pile definitely looks like a barrel of fun, I've been having trouble curating it without just ending up Flayer Drone & Hangarback shenanigans, but sticking to colourless - curving up to Walker of the Wastes and Reality Smasher seems really hard to beat.

Well, the "main idea" of the deck as I've been goldfish-ing it has been to a) have a board presence and b) ramp into Deceiver of Form and Scry with Seer's Lantern for either Breaker of Armies.
Image
chetoos
Posts: 390
Joined: 10 Jul 2011, 16:32
First Video: The Job

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby chetoos » 19 Jan 2016, 07:21

fantôme wrote:@chetoos: Sylvan Advocate definitely gets in here. Devour in Flames I think would work if you went heavier into the land ramp - Nissa's Renewal can create pretty huge turns, and seven life is extremely nice on turn six (or earlier) against a lot of decks.

And personally, even with ramp, I never like going below 23 land, especially with some pretty large critters in there - but that could just be me.


Maybe I should up the land, but I've never really had a problem getting my big guys out. The devour is mostly going in to help me get landfall triggers when I'm out of lands to play. What would you recommend as cuts? I can see getting rid of my mana dorks for the advocate, and slash for devour, but what about the renewal?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
fantôme
Posts: 510
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 09:13
First Video: mtgo drafts
Location: UK

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 19 Jan 2016, 09:44

You already have seven 6-drops, the Hellkite is probably doing the least amount of work. Was Nissa not working at all? She seems like she'd be right at home here.

I'm wondering how likely it is to get a critical mass of creatures such that Timberpack Wolf gets bigger than any Eldrazi with Deceiver of Forms...
User avatar
Phi
Posts: 248
Joined: 23 Sep 2012, 10:16
First Video: Impersonal Information
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Phi » 21 Jan 2016, 05:00

Trying to retool my UB Silumgar deck with the new OGW cards. Since I am not quire sure what I expect to face, I feel hesitant to converge on anything specific. Any suggestions / ideas?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/look-how-happy-he-is/
User avatar
Lycodrake
Posts: 119
Joined: 16 Aug 2015, 05:48
First Video: Friday Nights
Location: TN, USA

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Lycodrake » 21 Jan 2016, 19:22

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wip-eldr ... endikar-1/
The "Glass" deck based purely upon what I actually have in paper. Not optimal, but still in the correct direction.
Image
User avatar
square1
Posts: 140
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 11:05
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 22 Jan 2016, 08:15

Put together a draft idea of a Jeskai Sphinx's Tutelage deck using Chandra, Flamecaller. From just gold-fishing it, it feels like a pretty ridiculous number of Tutelage triggers from Chandra's 0, in addition to the synergy with that and Treasure Cruise. Plus you can maybe just win with Chandra and Crush of Tentacles tokens if need be.

Flamecallers Tutelage - Click to Expand
Land (24)
1x Blighted Cataract
4x Flooded Strand
3x Island
3x Mountain
4x Mystic Monastery
1x Prairie Stream
4x Swiftwater Cliffs
4x Wandering Fumarole

Sorcery (16)
2x Crush of Tentacles
3x Magmatic Insight
3x Radiant Flames
4x Tormenting Voice
4x Treasure Cruise

Planeswalker (4)
3x Chandra, Flamecaller
1x Narset Transcendent

Instant (9)
1x Brutal Expulsion
4x Fiery Impulse
2x Jeskai Charm
2x Negate

Enchantment (6)
2x Jeskai Ascendancy
4x Sphinx's Tutelage

Artifact (1)
1x Pyromancer's Goggles


Three main deck Radiant Flames seem like they could give game against Atarka Red and Tutelage is pretty solid against any control deck. Crush of Tentacles helps against midrange. Eldrazi Ramp might be an issue though. Don't really have a way to stop a giant eldrazi from coming down other than hope to burn mana dorks and counter their ramp spells.
fantôme
Posts: 510
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 09:13
First Video: mtgo drafts
Location: UK

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 22 Jan 2016, 08:34

@Phi: I'd cut a couple of Silumgars for a couple of something else, gives you the option of playing two creatures if you draw two creatures, and makes you less vulnerable to Infinite Obliteration. Also more boardwipes is always good in these sorts of decks, Displacement Wave I think is worthy of consideration.

If you do go heavier into boardwipes, consider choosing to draw rather than play where you win the die roll - I've found the extra card and tempo hit can be huge.


@square1: Mindswipe is funny against big Eldrazi, since they tend to get played as soon as mana is available. Counterspells in general are (mostly) great against Scion-ramp strategies. Maybe also consider more counterspells, since you're very much reliant on your enchantments. Is Jeskai Charm doing much here?


Also: with regards to the burn support package in my above Molten Vortex deck, which do you guys think between Devour in Flames and Burn Away? DiF let's me do cute things with bouncing lands to discard again, but puts me a land behind overall. BA exiles graveyards so they don't get stuff back from Day's Undoing, but is more expensive.
User avatar
square1
Posts: 140
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 11:05
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 22 Jan 2016, 08:57

fantôme wrote:@square1: Mindswipe is funny against big Eldrazi, since they tend to get played as soon as mana is available. Counterspells in general are (mostly) great against Scion-ramp strategies. Maybe also consider more counterspells, since you're very much reliant on your enchantments. Is Jeskai Charm doing much here?


Also: with regards to the burn support package in my above Molten Vortex deck, which do you guys think between Devour in Flames and Burn Away? DiF let's me do cute things with bouncing lands to discard again, but puts me a land behind overall. BA exiles graveyards so they don't get stuff back from Day's Undoing, but is more expensive.


Jeskai Charm is a griptide I can multiply with Goggles, and possibly a life gain engine with Chandra elemental tokens if absolutely necessary. Gives me an instant speed answer to something like Kolaghan or Butcher of the Horde. Adding more countermagic is a good idea though. If nothing else, Disdainful stroke for the board.

For your deck, I like Devour over Burn Away. The ability to target a planeswalker is very relevant to kill things like Gideon or Ugin who could give you headaches.

I think Treasure Cruise or other straight card draw might be better than anticipate, since you want card volume over card selection with Molten Vortex. Maybe not a 4-of since it's a non-bo with Day's Undoing. Even an Avaricious Dragon or similar effect could be good in that regard. Anything that pours more cards back into your grip.
fantôme
Posts: 510
Joined: 10 Jan 2015, 09:13
First Video: mtgo drafts
Location: UK

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 22 Jan 2016, 10:44

Anticipate digs for a Vortex early game, is why I like it. But AV Dragon is definitely an interesting idea, I'll goldfish up some variations with him.
Goblin_Ski_Patrol
Posts: 13
Joined: 08 Jul 2015, 13:37
First Video: Unskippable: The Darkness

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby Goblin_Ski_Patrol » 22 Jan 2016, 11:17

square1 wrote:
fantôme wrote:@square1: Mindswipe is funny against big Eldrazi, since they tend to get played as soon as mana is available. Counterspells in general are (mostly) great against Scion-ramp strategies. Maybe also consider more counterspells, since you're very much reliant on your enchantments. Is Jeskai Charm doing much here?


Also: with regards to the burn support package in my above Molten Vortex deck, which do you guys think between Devour in Flames and Burn Away? DiF let's me do cute things with bouncing lands to discard again, but puts me a land behind overall. BA exiles graveyards so they don't get stuff back from Day's Undoing, but is more expensive.


Jeskai Charm is a griptide I can multiply with Goggles, and possibly a life gain engine with Chandra elemental tokens if absolutely necessary. Gives me an instant speed answer to something like Kolaghan or Butcher of the Horde. Adding more countermagic is a good idea though. If nothing else, Disdainful stroke for the board.

For your deck, I like Devour over Burn Away. The ability to target a planeswalker is very relevant to kill things like Gideon or Ugin who could give you headaches.

I think Treasure Cruise or other straight card draw might be better than anticipate, since you want card volume over card selection with Molten Vortex. Maybe not a 4-of since it's a non-bo with Day's Undoing. Even an Avaricious Dragon or similar effect could be good in that regard. Anything that pours more cards back into your grip.

Unfortunately, with Ulamog, they're going to get your Tutelages even if you have countermagic, and they can hit it with Thought-Knot Seer early to disrupt. They're all about land ramp instead of scions, so uou might have to just hope you don't face Eldrazi, though that seems unlikely. Also sucks since colorless not being a color means Eldrazi don't trigger Tutelage.
User avatar
square1
Posts: 140
Joined: 16 Apr 2012, 11:05
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby square1 » 22 Jan 2016, 11:44

Goblin_Ski_Patrol wrote:Unfortunately, with Ulamog, they're going to get your Tutelages even if you have countermagic, and they can hit it with Thought-Knot Seer early to disrupt. They're all about land ramp instead of scions, so uou might have to just hope you don't face Eldrazi, though that seems unlikely. Also sucks since colorless not being a color means Eldrazi don't trigger Tutelage.


Well, just need to figure out what SB tech beats them and accept a bad game 1. Like in this case, you could have a conversion sideboard into tempo beats and try to go under them. Stormchaser Mage and mantis rider beat down quickly, and hopefully win before they get their big stuff online, or hexproof threats like Dragonlord Ojutai that go over Ula for that last bit of damage.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest