Standard Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby RadioshackRaider » 29 Aug 2015, 11:15

I've returned from my delve into Standard. I have to say that today's been the most fun I've had playing Standard since I started playing Magic. I went 3-2, coming second and the 2 matches I lost were close, going 1-2 each time. My first match was Abzan, and boy was I glad I beat it. I found playing against it miserable last time I tried standard, and it was just so satisfying to beat it for once. My side-board planned for Tokens and U/R Artifacts, but I didn't play against either all day, even though there were 2 U/R Artifact decks there. I narrowly missed out on being top 4 (I came 6th, there was a cut to Top 4) but I'm fine. I rarely win three matches, and they were all great games. Jeskai seems popular? I really love this Standard though. It's so diverse. There weren't more than 2 of a deck in the event, which makes a change from the Abzan everywhere from before Origins. I'm hoping to play some more now with the sweet mono-red deck I built. The only gripe I have from all day was one of my opponents asked me to concede my record after beating them because I was highly unlikely to be going to the RPTQ for the UK in London. It just seems like a very, very dickish thing to do. How is everyone else finding the format?
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 23 Sep 2015, 11:10

So I've revamped my Mono-red standard deck to fit in with the coming standard (No BFZ cards yet though, not sure if I want anything in it but Dragonmaster Outcast) and I was wandering if there's any suggestions. I want some more removal, but for now it's fine.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-15-hyF-mono-red/
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 26 Sep 2015, 03:20

BfZ doesn't seem to be bringing much to the table for mono-red, maybe Boiling Earth depending on how popular tokens or white weenie is. Impact Tremors is really powerful in the similar decks I've played against, I would maybe consider going up to four copies at least in the sideboard. Dragonmaster Outcast I'm not sure about - in a deck with only 21 lands, by the time she's ready to start throwing up dragons - you'll either have already won, or your opponent will be stable. Also - no Titan's Strength?

Post rotation, I'm brewing a Jund sacrificey thing - Mortuary Mire a Den Protector then sacrifice Blisterpod to a Qarsi High Priest, benefit Impact Tremors or Liliana, etc. It probably won't work.

Assault Formation also has a bunch of new toys, although we're losing any way to filter for it. There are some other decks that could possibly survive rotation, Gruul aggro and Mardu aristocrats in particular seem like they'll be really strong. And that's not even looking at Allies or Eldrazi - I think its going to be another wonderfully diverse season.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 26 Sep 2015, 07:23

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nayalliances/
My attempt at a Naya Allies deck. Any suggestions?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 26 Sep 2015, 15:27

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rage-of-the-roil/
Similarly, I'd like some advice on where to put in some kind of removal in this deck.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 26 Sep 2015, 16:49

chetoos wrote:http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rage-of-the-roil/
Similarly, I'd like some advice on where to put in some kind of removal in this deck.

Is this a ramp deck or a landfall deck? You've got several creatures like Grove Rumbler that make sense in a landfall/Omnath deck, but if you're ramping then something like Dragonlord Atarka or Ugin or maybe one of the new Eldrazi would make more sense as a big finisher.

If your plan is landfall then Wooded Foothills seems like a must if you have them or can afford them.

The Scythe Leopard seems like the odd creature out. The rest are giant, go over the top monsters and don't support the same hyper aggro strategy the Leopard would fit in.

Rolling Thunder might go well in this deck with your ability to generate a lot of mana. I might replace the Leopards, and I'd consider swapping out a 3-drop for another two drop like Beastcaller Savant or rattleclaw mystic to smooth out your curve and give you more ramp, since the core of the deck seems to be getting Omnath into play as quickly as possible. More Elementals to trigger Omnath might also be good. Whisperwood Elemental, Gaea's Revenge, Greenwarden of Murasa, Undergrowth Champion, and Woodland Wanderer are all Elementals with solid bodies and effects.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 26 Sep 2015, 17:13

square1 wrote:
chetoos wrote:http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rage-of-the-roil/

Is this a ramp deck or a landfall deck? You've got several creatures like Grove Rumbler that make sense in a landfall/Omnath deck, but if you're ramping then something like Dragonlord Atarka or Ugin or maybe one of the new Eldrazi would make more sense as a big finisher.

If your plan is landfall then Wooded Foothills seems like a must if you have them or can afford them.

The Scythe Leopard seems like the odd creature out. The rest are giant, go over the top monsters and don't support the same hyper aggro strategy the Leopard would fit in.

Rolling Thunder might go well in this deck with your ability to generate a lot of mana. I might replace the Leopards, and I'd consider swapping out a 3-drop for another two drop like Beastcaller Savant or rattleclaw mystic to smooth out your curve and give you more ramp, since the core of the deck seems to be getting Omnath into play as quickly as possible. More Elementals to trigger Omnath might also be good. Whisperwood Elemental, Gaea's Revenge, Greenwarden of Murasa, Undergrowth Champion, and Woodland Wanderer are all Elementals with solid bodies and effects.

It's supposed to be Landfall primarily, and the scythe tigers were there for low drops, since I know how important it is to have some defense in the early game, even if you're not focused on it. And I generally don't like using the fetches, just because they cost a lot, and even though these decks are online only, I'd like to keep them cheap. I do like the look of the woodland wanderer, but Zendikar Incarnate feels like it might be even better for that spot of another 4 cmc elemental.
square1

Postby square1 » 26 Sep 2015, 19:43

I'm not sure the Leopard is great on defense though, since it's mainly going to be pumped on your turn. Glade Watcher from Dragons is actually an elemental if you're looking for an early blocker that's in theme.

Anyway, it's an interesting deck idea. Regarding your question about removal which I apologize for losing sight of, Rolling Thunder seems good on the high end and Wild Slash is solid, especially if you're worried about early aggro like Monastery Swiftspear. Where you put it depends on if you're trying to be early aggro or stompy. I think the leopard is the drop slot if you're trying stompy and Oran-rief Hydra is your weakest slot on the high end if you're going aggro, being an expensive creature that isn't an elemental.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 26 Sep 2015, 23:16

Regarding the nayallies, the only thing I can see as lacking is green mana sources - seems rather short on forests, and land in general. I'd be tempted by the idea to put in something like Seek the Wilds to give some options as to which ally etb effect you're going to need this turn, and I definitely feel that this is the deck where Rally the Ancestors finally has a home.

Every rare, no matter how janky or awful, finds a home eventually. Maybe.

A thing, (currently in need of an alternate win condition):
4 Benthic Infiltrator
4 Embodiment of Spring
4 Sigiled Starfish
4 Tide Drifter
4 Vile Aggregate
2 Spidersilk Net
4 Assault Formation
4 Anticipate
2 Glint
4 Shape the Sands
1 Blighted Cataract
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
4 Island
1 Mountain
2 Thornwood Falls
4 Yavimaya Coast

Another thing, (very much still in progress):
3 Blisterpod
2 Catacomb Sifter
3 Den Protector
2 Grim Haruspex
2 Liliana, Heretical Healer
2 Merciless Executioner
3 Nantuko Husk
4 Qarsi High Priest
3 Rot Shambler
3 Ruthless Ripper
2 Shambling Goblin
4 Sultai Emissary
3 Evolutionary Leap
2 Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
4 Jungle Hollow
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Mortuary Mire
5 Swamp
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 27 Sep 2015, 05:52

The only problem with rally the ancestors is that they don't get haste, and I don't have the Rally haste guy, so it wouldn't be too useful, unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd consider it a 2 of.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 27 Sep 2015, 06:12

As for an alternate win con for that deck, I like the idea of the ass form deck, but I don't know what I can do to make it any better for you. Maybe add the Eldrazi that draws you a card and makes the opponent exile the top card of their library?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 27 Sep 2015, 11:22

I was thinking about Sagu Mauler as an alt win con for the Ass Form deck, can't really go wrong with Sagu Mauler.

BfZ has definitely got my brewer's cogs ticking away - Storm (with transformative sideboard):

4 Herald of Kozilek
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Alchemist's Vial
4 Altar of the Brood
4 Briber's Purse
4 Lens of Clarity
4 Molten Nursery
4 Anticipate
4 Day's Undoing
4 Displacement Wave
4 Evolving Wilds
7 Island
5 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef

sb.
4 Molten Vortex
11 Mountain
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 28 Sep 2015, 00:25

Building a U/B control budget deck (=no fetches), and I am not quite sure what to replace Dissolve with. Scatter to the Winds seems like the best option, but until the late game it is basically just Cancel. Is Clash of Wills better? What do you guys think?

Here is the plan so far:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fun-at-parties/

Any other suggestions are welcome as well :)
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 28 Sep 2015, 05:46

Hey folks, I've been running this CoCo Elves deck for the last few months and am looking for suggestions on how to keep it playable past rotation. Specifically, I don't know what to do about the loss of Reclamation Sage and Chord of Calling. Any advice for those, or any other rotating card would be greatly appreciated.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-09-15-coco-elves/
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 28 Sep 2015, 05:54

Phi wrote:Building a U/B control budget deck (=no fetches), and I am not quite sure what to replace Dissolve with. Scatter to the Winds seems like the best option, but until the late game it is basically just Cancel. Is Clash of Wills better? What do you guys think?

Here is the plan so far:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/fun-at-parties/

Any other suggestions are welcome as well :)

I think Scatter to the Winds is probably your best bet to run instead of Dissolve. You are trading the scry 1 for the Awaken ability, which is obviously not as good, but Clash of Wills is a riskier pick. Great for countering things they tap out for, but sometimes you just want the hard counter. Although control on this scale isn't usually within my wheel house, so feel free to ignore everything I said, I could be way off base :)
square1

Postby square1 » 28 Sep 2015, 06:17

Booster wrote:Hey folks, I've been running this CoCo Elves deck for the last few months and am looking for suggestions on how to keep it playable past rotation. Specifically, I don't know what to do about the loss of Reclamation Sage and Chord of Calling. Any advice for those, or any other rotating card would be greatly appreciated.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-09-15-coco-elves/

Maybe Woodland Bellower could replace Chord? It digs up Shaman of the Pack. Might be too pricey.

There's not really a good replacement for Reclamation Sage unfortunately. You could splash White or Red for Dromoka or Kholaghan's command and get portions of the effect, or go for a disruption package with something like Despise to try and hit those threats before they hit the board. While not an Elf, Lilliana, Heretical Healer is really strong with CoCo as an alternate 3-drop and her planeswalker reanimate ability seems good to recur Shaman of the Pack.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 29 Sep 2015, 00:24

Splashing Blue in Elves opens up some possibilities: Bring to Light tutors for Shaman of the Pack in a three-colour deck - Dwynen or Eyeblight Massacre can be tutored with a fourth colour from Lifespring Druid, Day's Undoing reloads your hand with elves and recycles the ones that have already died - but is dangerous to cast against some decks, and Mirror Mockery is always hilarious.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 06 Oct 2015, 00:09

What are your opinions about Evolving Wilds as a budget alternative for fetches? I have a U/B control deck and am thinking about this option.

Pro:
- Can assure having both colours.
- No life loss (so many times I stabilized on 2 life and won, so life is critical).

Con:
- Can put me a turn behind my opponent.

Mix:
- Shuffles things that were put at the bottom of the deck due to Anticipate and Dig Through Time, which may be a good thing or a bad thing.
- Thins the amount of lands I will draw. Since I am running Ugin and Ulamog, I am not sure how useful this is for me.

Another thing I am wondering about is the ratio of removal, counter spells and card draw. Any advice?
square1

Postby square1 » 06 Oct 2015, 06:35

One other Con with Evolving Wilds is it doesn't fetch the new duals, if you happen to have any.

You could add Opulent Palace even if you don't care about green mana.

I have no idea about ratios unfortunately. :-(
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 06 Oct 2015, 09:55

One more for the pro column: it fuels delve.

With quite a few double-mana casting cost spells in your deck, you definitely need to be running some fixing - at budget, whether Palace or Wilds it is a very close call. How much are the new tango lands going for? In lieu of fetches, they'd be your beat bet. Otherwise try 2 Palace and 2 Wilds, and see which one does you the best.

So I had an idea, and I should be able to scramble it together by FNM:

1 Kiora, Master of the Depths
4 Animist's Awakening
4 Displacement Wave
4 Nissa's Renewal
4 Part the Waterveil
4 Secure the Wastes
4 The Great Aurora
4 Blighted Cataract
4 Blossoming Sands
6 Forest
6 Island
4 Lumbering Falls
3 Plains
4 Thornwood Falls
4 Tranquil Cove

Ramp into huge Secure the Wastes then Great Aurora into Part the Waterveil on a Lumbering Falls. Terrible and ridiculous, I know. Suggestions?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 09 Oct 2015, 13:42

How'd y'all do at fnm?

I took the above "flood" deck (slightly modified), went 2-2 - my losses pretty much because of Duress. Response to the deck was polarised - most people loved it, one guy actually tilted out. Playing the deck is really challenging and really nerve-wracking, but the payoff for when I did The Great Aurora for 20-30 cards into Waterveil extra turns was so satisfying.

Would love some suggestions for sideboard.
square1

Postby square1 » 10 Oct 2015, 10:59

fantôme wrote:How'd y'all do at fnm?

I took the above "flood" deck (slightly modified), went 2-2 - my losses pretty much because of Duress. Response to the deck was polarised - most people loved it, one guy actually tilted out. Playing the deck is really challenging and really nerve-wracking, but the payoff for when I did The Great Aurora for 20-30 cards into Waterveil extra turns was so satisfying.

Would love some suggestions for sideboard.

Glad to hear you're having fun with it :)

Are you having trouble against Duress in aggro decks like Abzan or in more like an Esper Dragons matchup?

I've been finding Jaddi Offshoot very helpful against Atarka Red and it might also help stabilize against Abzan. Or add Rattleclaw Mystic as ramp + duress immune early Defense.

Against control, you have access to Stubborn Denial and Negate for answers to their disruption of your combo pieces. You could also board in Den Protector or Greenwarden of Murasa as a way to get back any combo piece that was countered or that you were forced to discard.

How has Kiora been working for you? I would think you're missing out on a lot of her value without creatures to untap or draw into. Have you considered adding Blighted Woodland?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 10 Oct 2015, 12:45

Kiora didn't make it in the version I went with, (-1 Kiora -1 Island -1 Forest +3 Anticipate).

It was Abzan Duresses I was struggling with. Against straight-up aggro and control decks the lifelands and Cataracts generally kept me going until I got the combo running or they ran out of counterspells, respectively. But Abzan just has too much value for a Duress'd hand to deal with - particularly in a deck as tightly wound as this, where tempo is especially important.

Recursion and counterspells seem like good ideas for sideboarding, and I very much like Offshoot and Woodland in here - thanks for the suggestions, will be trying them out.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 10 Oct 2015, 21:00

Got a booster box, figures its' the best way to start anew. Wanna keep jund so here's a deck list
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-10-15-jund-test/

Best pulls are two ulamog (one foil) foil Overgrown Tomb and Dragonmaster Outcast (IMO)

Basically make suggestions of cards I'll sort through what I have but I think this might work well for a bit. This is for fun but I'd also like to make it work somewhat. Thanks!
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 11 Oct 2015, 17:46

Today I traded the foil Gideon I pulled at BFZ prerelease for 3 Deathmist Raptors.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-03-15 ... e-eternal/
Trying to decide what to do - I intended to replace the Heirs of the Wilds I have in-deck for them, but since I wasn't able to trade for a fourth one I don't know.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”