Standard Discussion

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: Standard Discussion

Postby fantôme » 26 Feb 2016, 09:10

Map the Wastes vs. Natural Connection: is the bonus of instant-speed doing anything for your deck above the loss of MtW's Bolster?

Sideboard suggestion: Radiant Purge, hits lots of scary things.

Those Explosive Vegetations in your maybeboard seem mighty tempting with Sylvan Advocate being a thing.
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 26 Feb 2016, 12:43

I haven't had a chance to test MtW vs NC just yet. I have a few Radiant Purges, actually! :)
As for EV and SA, well, I'm still trying to figure out what to do. My early game is very similar to GW (mega)morph but that's mostly so that I don't die to aggro while preparing my ramp. I don't really want to completely shift over to Gx Eldrazi ramp, tbh.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 26 Feb 2016, 12:52

Another sideboard option: Hallowed Moonlight, upsets those Rally the Ancestors decks that seem quite popular at the moment.

Why Gilders over Rattleclaws?
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 26 Feb 2016, 12:58

I had a Hallowed Moonlight but that was before Rally the Ancestors resurged.
Rattleclaws are just rotating out, is all.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 29 Feb 2016, 09:21

Another strange brew: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-aggro-wave/

All in on a silly idea, as always. Thoughts?
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 29 Feb 2016, 11:12

fantôme wrote:Another strange brew: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-aggro-wave/

All in on a silly idea, as always. Thoughts?

I like it. I have doubts about running 7 tapped lands though, it seems you want to come out of the gate fast and hard, and that they might slow you down too much.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 29 Feb 2016, 13:37

Very true, I didn't want to go below 15 sources for each colour, but this might actually need some fetches. Crumbling Vestige was the only other option, but I felt like it would be really awkward a lot of the time.

What would you suggest as the maximum number of tapped lands and the minimum number of sources?
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 29 Feb 2016, 15:30

Hard to say really. I think you will just have to playtest and see what happens. Id lose the Cliffs before the Fumarole. I'm far from a standard brew expert, so I could be wrong, I think you will just need to experiment with it.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 01 Mar 2016, 07:27

I think Molten Nursery is too slow for your deck, since you will have to recast it after every Wave. Maybe an additional prowess creature?
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 01 Mar 2016, 09:52

I'd be Waving for x=0, the only things it'll bounce are my artifacts.

With the majority of my noncreature spells being colourless, I quite like Molten Nursery as effectively a harder-to-kill prowess & haste creature that can spread it's damage directly amongst creatures & players. That being said, 3 mana is rather steep in this deck. And it can't be Temur Battle Rage'd, hmm...

Swiftspear & Stormchaser were my only two prowess picks not just because they're the best in my colours, also because them having haste lets me - with a Day's Undoing, immediately hit again after my creatures dying. I'm probably putting all my eggs in one basket here!

I probably wouldn't want to play with this deck very often, aggro isn't really my jam - but if I did and wanted to put money into a better mana base, it would probably go:

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Island
4 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
2 Sunken Hollow
3 Wandering Fumarole
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 04 Mar 2016, 20:07

I got to go to FNM, went 1-2-0, and traded 1 World Breaker for 3 Canopy Vistas and 4 Planar Outbursts, plus 1 Thought-Knot Seer and 1 Eldrazi Mimic for 1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar and 1 Linvala, the Perserver (my 2nd copy now).
I think these trades were fair and reasonable? I hope? Pretty certain, I guess?
I am a worrier.>.>;
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 04 Mar 2016, 21:16

Lycodrake wrote:I got to go to FNM, went 1-2-0, and traded 1 World Breaker for 3 Canopy Vistas and 4 Planar Outbursts, plus 1 Thought-Knot Seer and 1 Eldrazi Mimic for 1 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar and 1 Linvala, the Perserver (my 2nd copy now).
I think these trades were fair and reasonable? I hope? Pretty certain, I guess?
I am a worrier.>.>;

In terms of monetary value, absolutely fine, perhaps slightly in your favour if anything. In terms of sweet Selesnya cards, heck yes.

So was the mono-glass deck not coming together?
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 05 Mar 2016, 05:04

fantôme wrote:In terms of monetary value, absolutely fine, perhaps slightly in your favour if anything. In terms of sweet Selesnya cards, heck yes.

So was the mono-glass deck not coming together?

Once I got home I checked on the monetary value and felt content on that end, but I'm glad to see someone agrees with the decision. :)
I thought about it for a while and decided against the mono-glass plan. While I still want to see if I can pull off "Scrying into fatties for Deceiver of Form", it's not as high on my priority list as "staying true" to my favorite colors. XP
[edit]
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragonlo ... reserving/
Here's my updated deck!
Aeralis
First Video: enn: Nerd Flu

Postby Aeralis » 05 Mar 2016, 23:35

I started putting together a mono-glass commander deck, but sadly I do not have enough colorless cards to fill it. I'm really wishing all these Eldrazi were actually colorless instead of just Devoid!
Phi

Postby Phi » 12 Mar 2016, 13:11

I have been thinking about my Silumgar and what I am losing post-rotation. My prediction is that with Delve rotating, Dragonlord Kolaghan might become a very good card. Grixis Dragons with Dragonlord Silumgar seems viable, especially with the presumed graveyard matters set coming out. Basically UB splashing for Kolaghan, and change my removal to kill rather than exile.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 13 Mar 2016, 21:37

With the rotating out of Dig Through Time, I'm not sure how well toolbox-control is going to hold up, I feel like control decks will need to get a little more pro-active so that their opponent doesn't just attrition them out of answers. Thing in the Ice has set a pretty high standard for finishers in this style of control, but if the format isn't too fast then Kolaghan could be hilariously powerful too.

Still plenty of SoI yet to be spoiled though.
Phi

Postby Phi » 14 Mar 2016, 00:22

Control finds a way. Life finds a way :)

I am not sold on Thing in the Ice. It dies to a lot of basic removal, and getting those 4 ice counters off is not a trivial thing in Standard.

This is my first draft of the deck, although I expect to make a lot of changes with new cards from the set and seeing what gets played. The main card draw engines are 4x Anticiapte and 2x Dragonlord's Prerogative, which is not ideal but gets the job done.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 18 Mar 2016, 14:07

FNM tonight was my last Standard before rotation, went 2-2 (again) with B/W Eldrazi feat. Inverter of Truth, (who was actually awesome). Meta was actually really diverse for once, was a lot of fun.

And it turns out that Corpse Churn really is the black Anticipate, (and saved my bacon more than once).

Goodbye fetch-lands, you won't be missed.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 20 Mar 2016, 10:48

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragonlo ... reserving/
One of my best friends and I helped each other with our standard decks. I helped him finish his UR Prowess deck, and he helped me decide how to update my deck in preparation for rotation. I got 3 Den Protectors, which I think was a good decision...

But my usual MtG forum haunts don't seem to want to help advise me on if I chose correctly or if there are budget options to make my deck better...it's depressing me...
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 20 Mar 2016, 12:11

I'm thinking of making a UW clue deck once SOI comes out, and the 5 creatures I want in the deck are Bygone Bishop, thraben investigator, thing in the ice, thalia's lieutenant, and daring sleuth/bearer of overwhelming truths. Are there any non-creature spells from the past 4 sets that you think would be especially helpful here? I haven't really made a standard deck since Theros, and I'm usually a green player.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 20 Mar 2016, 12:47

Lycodrake: less than half of SoI has been spoiled, it's too early to tell what direction would be good for you to take your deck in. That being said, Den Protector is singularly a very good card, that I've seen doing very well in a variety of archetypes.

So far spoiled: nothing that particularly supports morph (though your morph creatures are all individually very powerful), nothing that particularly supports big flyers (though who needs support when you've got a big flyer!). The only thing that seems to be emerging for G/W so far is going wide with Humans, in particular Sigarda & Thalia's Lieutenant.

chetoos: The only noncreature spell prior that interacts with Clues is Sphinx's Tutelage - which apart from Bygone Bishop, doesn't really seem like a gameplan those cards would support well. It's tricky, Bishop & Lieutenant want you to be playing lots of creatures whilst Thing & Sleuth want lots of spells. If there is a way to gel the two strategies together, it has yet to be spoiled.
Lycodrake

Postby Lycodrake » 20 Mar 2016, 13:32

Thank for the reply, fantome! I guess I'm at something resembling an identity crisis? I've played GW due to both versions of Dromoka and went with a ramp deck, and I'd still like to do that, but...GW looks like it will be, as you say, "go wide humans" plus Sigarda.

I like new Sigarda a lot, but at the same time what I'm actually trying to do with my deck - as far as finishers go - is DTK Surrak -> Sunscorch Regent -> Dragonlord Dromoka. New Odric and new Sigarda open up the possibility of having a Human "midrange-y" deck, but I don't know if that's what I want to do. Is "DTK Surrak->Fatty Fliers" really "ramp" or more midrange, I suppose is partly the question? I don't really know.

However, I would feel comfortable going with GW Humans if only, thus far, because of new Odric, new Sigarda, and Thalia's Lieutenant, as you mentioned.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Postby Tinfish » 20 Mar 2016, 22:25

So I just realized that my standard deck (Abzan counters-lords) is going to be pretty much entirely rotating out soon. Heck, there's still Theros block cards in there. I don't think I've played paper magic since the Dragons prerelease.

Actually, since I only seem to be playing paper magic at prereleases, I might not bother putting together a new one ... but on the other hand getting back into FNM would give me something to do of a friday night, so it's tempting.

Deck archetypes I've been tempted by in the past are ...

Black/red exploit with Mogis, Palace Siege, Dictate of Erebos etc (now rotated out)

Black/red warriors with Blood-Chin Rager and whatsisface the 5/5 yeti warrior for 2R that you have to pay to attack or block with, and Tail Slash to hit things with the yeti with (probably not going to do this, as most of it will rotate out soonish)

Ensoulnithopter (now rotated out)

Black/green Eldrazi sacrifice outlets

Mono-red devoid Eldrazi with Nettle Drones, Barrage Tyrants, and Molten Nurseries

Black/white vampire pingers with Kalastria Healer, Drana's Emissary, and Cliffhaven Vampire

Black/red madness aggro in SoI.

Of these, I feel like madness aggro is the simplest to construct and pilot, which is probably good since if MTGO is any indicator I actually suck at MTG. I'm tempted by those vampires though.

Edit - I threw together a sample vampire decklist, but I have no idea what I'm doing really. Does it need more land? Better blockers? Some Retreats?

Edit edit - I've also noticed that there seems to be quite a lot of support for a red/white equipment deck in BFZ/OGW ... except the equipment in the block is fairly garbage. Do you think this could take off if SoI supplies sufficient equipment for it?
It's fish in a tin!
Phi

Postby Phi » 21 Mar 2016, 04:29

Tinfish, the link to your deckist is not working.

I eventually decided to go Esper instead of Grixis, since the new Sorin is just so good for control. This is the list I came up with:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dragons-over-innistrad/

I was wandering if the new vindicate is good here or not. While I think the card itself is good, I don't think it suits a deck that wants to go to the long game and possibly take a bit more damage than usual along the way. Also, I am considering whether it is feasible to be able to case Grasp of Darkness on tun 2, and so far I think no.
fantôme

Postby fantôme » 21 Mar 2016, 12:53

chetoos wrote:I'm thinking of making a UW clue deck once SOI comes out, and the 5 creatures I want in the deck are Bygone Bishop, thraben investigator, thing in the ice, thalia's lieutenant, and daring sleuth/bearer of overwhelming truths. Are there any non-creature spells from the past 4 sets that you think would be especially helpful here? I haven't really made a standard deck since Theros, and I'm usually a green player.

I feel like between Ulvenwald Mysteries, Ongoing Investigation, Trail of Evidence, Bearer of Overwhelming Truths, Bygone Bishop, etc. there is some huge Clue combo...

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”