Magic Origins Pre-release. How'd you do?

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Tinfish
First Video: Krogslist

Re: Magic Origins Pre-release. How'd you do?

Postby Tinfish » 22 Jul 2015, 04:52

So apparently prerelease hasn't happened on MTGO yet - meaning I can still get in there despite being screwed over by my LGS. And now I have to decide between green and red - I'd been planning to go the thopter route but green just looks really strong and beaty.
It's fish in a tin!
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jul 2015, 09:27

The way it usually works is IRL Pre-release -> (next week) IRL Release -> (next week) MtGO Pre-release -> (a few days later) MtGO Release

Also, James is doing a Pre-Release on MtGO on Friday, and I'm thinking a lot of Runners will be waiting, joining in when he does.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 23 Jul 2015, 10:35

Do you have that in UTC (or, even more helpfully, NZT)? I'd certainly be interested in coming along!
It's fish in a tin!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 25 Jul 2015, 09:48

Just did a MTGO prerelease. Went 1-2 and dropped in the fourth round, since I'd get two packs either way and it was looking like I'd go 1-3 anyway.

Mainboard - Click to Expand

Sideboard - Click to Expand

When this deck worked, it hammered through whatever was in its path and came out the other side unscathed. Unfortunately, I won only 3 of the 7 games I played, and my opponent in the first round was mana screwed both times. I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to offer. Is there a better deck in there that I just didn't see?

My own thoughts: The black wasn't useful, and Mage-Ring Network didn't do what I thought it did (for some reason, I thought you could get coloured mana out of it).
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 25 Jul 2015, 13:46

I went red in the pre-release, didn't really open anything in the way of red rares (although I did get Liliana and Erebos' Titan). Built a red/white aggro deck that ended up being fairly durdly - it was rare for me to be able to get down and defend more than one threat. The removal is real. Celestial Flare is especially real; that card blew me out every time it was played, and some people had three of it! Ultimately I went 1-3, which is probably about average for me. My opponents were a blue-black deck, a red-black deck, and two red-white decks. I'm considering doing another prerelease sealed today, though I'm not sure what color I'd pick.
It's fish in a tin!
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 26 Jul 2015, 16:29

I went White and could have gone mono white my pool was really strong for sealed.

I could have gone red white or green white, I went red white because I ran out of time while I was trying to decide. looking at it now my green white may have been stronger.

In my red white pool I ended up having to cut 7 cards after I had decided which cards were Solid or better. I had 9 cuts in green based on the same standards.

Amazing
Great
Solid
OK
weak
bad
unplayable
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 26 Jul 2015, 16:38

I have my suspicions (although I could be wrong, of course) that Celestial Flare will go down a little as the format progresses and people get more and more used to playing around it. That said, right now you're absolutely right, it is a real card.
Tinfish

Postby Tinfish » 26 Jul 2015, 17:34

So I did a second sealed prerelease thing, this time picking white (because white + something tempo seems to be something I gravitate towards). Opened Kia & Piran Nalaar and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, and attempted to put together a janky red/white/blue tempo deck ... which didn't work very well. In every second game of the match I had to strip out the blue and go red/white aggro ... which still didn't work very well. I was sadly light on removal of any color.

One game I came up against a Managorger Hydra and was just unable to deal with it at all. That thing is nasty.

Ultimately I went 1-3 again. I don't think I have enough black and blue cards to make a decent blue/black deck with my Liliana and Jace, so I might just trade them for tickets. If it was one thing I seemed to have good luck for, it was pulling offcolour rares I couldn't run.
It's fish in a tin!
Lycodrake
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Lycodrake » 16 Aug 2015, 06:00

First post hype and unintended necro, I suppose?
I chose White for my pre-release box and was rewarded handsomely with lil' Chad as my promo foil, which was awesome. I also got an Archangel of Tithes. Wound up going WG Renown.
Made it to Top 8 despite a terrible run-in with Outland Colossus and Liliana (record of 3-2-0). Lost to WU control. Willbreaker's a jerk.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”