Battle for Zendikar flavor misstep?

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Battle for Zendikar flavor misstep?

Postby lazylantern » 12 Jul 2015, 09:41

Hey all

I was watching MtG's twitter feed yesterday and there was this pictures titled "Here's another look at some of the allies we'll see in #MTGBFZ... what's that in Kiora's hand?"

Now I'm no expert in lore and flavor, but back in Duels of the Planeswalker 2012, Kiora's deck was my favorite. That U/G ramp deck was awesome, but the bombs of the deck were... Eldrazi... and now Kiora is alligning with Gideon to fight them?

Whoops...

Anyone else has some funny flavor misstep stories?
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: Battle for Zendikar flavor misstep?

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2015, 09:46

Maybe working with them made her see how incredibly dangerous they could be and recognize the need to allie herself with anyone she had to to stop them.

You know, like when the United States Allied with Nazi scientists and SS officers during the cold war to stop the Soviet advance.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 12 Jul 2015, 10:29

My understanding is as follows:

In Kiora's past, she had 'worshipped' (not very devoutly) Cosi, one of Zendikar's pantheon. (Zendikar was her home plane.) Cosi was eventually revealed to be a facade; merely a twisted memory of Kozalilek (the singular Eldrazi that appears in the duels of the planeswalkers deck).

Sometime during her time on Theros, Kiora fought Thassa. She was defeated, but she managed to escape with the bident.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 12 Jul 2015, 10:34

The Bident, if it is Thassa's is awesome and at the same time weird. Didn't she learn from Elspeth what happens when you steal one of the god's weapons?

I guess I'll have to wait for the Daily MTG lore for Kiora to explain what she will do on Zendikar. I wouldn't mind her being a 2 faced traitor either haha
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 12 Jul 2015, 10:42

Elspeth didn't steal her spear of Heliod. She found it when he dropped it during a scrap between him and Purphuros (If I'm remembering rightly, which I feel like I am) during her first planeswalk, which was to Theros. Heliod then changed it to Godsend when Elspeth took up the mantle of the Sun's Champion.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 12 Jul 2015, 10:51

Heliod demanded Elspeth to give it back, she said no. That's pretty much thievery as far as I am concerned.

Also, Heliod is just one big dickhead in the lore. Funny how the Theros preview painted him as a wise mentor figure that was concerned for his plane by his naration... and how he actually turned out to be. White mana =/= good
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 12 Jul 2015, 11:27

I usually see white as a villain colour. Next to Black it's pretty big on mean people. Only white could become the worst force Phyrexia could end up with after all. I'm kinda surprised Gideon was in some kind of Heliod cult when he met Chandra considering what happened to him. Then again, he'd probably just blame Erebos for his arrogance. Hell, from what I know of Chad, he'd probably go with Heli's dick moves.
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 12 Jul 2015, 12:05

Thassa was on Theros to find the biggest sea monsters she could so that she could summon them to fight the Eldrazi. I am pretty sure that Gideon blames himself for the death of his friends, judging from the flavour text about him becoming a knight to redeem himself.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 12 Jul 2015, 12:05

One of the Uncharted Realms articles is about the fight between Kiora and Thassa, and in the end Kiora trick's her and planeswalks away with her bident.

Although, is Duels 2012 canon?
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 12 Jul 2015, 20:01

Kiora took the bident by planeswalking with it; I doubt she plans on coming back to Theros anytime soon... not until she has enough power to actually best Thassa in another duel.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 12 Jul 2015, 22:29

Heliod is based on Zeus, if you thought he would be anything other than a hornball Jack*** you dont know much about the Greek Pantheon.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 13 Jul 2015, 05:09

Phi wrote:Although, is Duels 2012 canon?

I don't know about 2012 but i know that some of the Duels games are not canon as the give different origins for some of the planeswalkers
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 13 Jul 2015, 06:23

I would imagine anything before this point is subject to potentially being rewritten, as Origins is not just the last core set; it's a new start for more than just the new Standard format, it's the start of a new (or renewed) creative direction too.

While there's a lot that will undoubtedly stay the same, there may also be a lot that will see some tweaks or even overhauls.
lazylantern

Postby lazylantern » 13 Jul 2015, 06:56

DotP were not canon until very recently. 2014 I believe was the first game of the series that WotC oversaw the lore to keep it in line with the continuity.

Allright, she can fight the Eldrazi... Fine :(
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 13 Jul 2015, 08:10

Hahaha, well at least you're giving up on that stance now, since it's pretty obvious WotC will be coming out with stories that have Kiora fighting against them in the near future. :P

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”