LRR Custom Set - COMPLETE (Mostly)!

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
GreatCanadianGuy
First Video: Probably Jangles and Jones

LRR Custom Set - COMPLETE (Mostly)!

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 26 Jul 2015, 13:24

Hello!

One of my hobbies is custom set design, and as a way to break the monotony of working on my latest "serious" set, I decided to work on a Loading Ready Run themed one. The set is intended to be an insular drafting environment like Coldsnap or Conspiracy, consisting of both original cards and reprints featuring some fun and flavourful mechanics.

This is the initial "build" of the set and needs to be tested. I don't have a method for drafting, other than printing the cards, but you can download an extension for MSE to export the cards into Cockatrice to test sealed (you can open packs in MSE itself).

Things I need help with right now:

- Art for original cards. Anything not directly LRR related needs the artist's name.
- Testing, if people have the time.

Here's the set: https://goo.gl/photos/a2SPSdfk6UtCeyXDA

Here's the MSE file: https://goo.gl/01B00Y

Thanks,

Jonathan
Last edited by GreatCanadianGuy on 11 Aug 2015, 23:40, edited 36 times in total.
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Re: LRR Custom Set - 131 so far!

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 26 Jul 2015, 15:21

I really like what you've got put together here and would love to help. However, I'm finding it difficult to efficiently look around at everything with tinypic's layout (having to reload the page whenever I want to view a different image). I guess what I'm trying to say is, is there any way to consolidate the images/data for the cards into a place that's easier to see everything?

I've dabbled in set creation myself, and I used the Magic Set Editor to do so. I found its interface to help with getting statistics together and just figuring out what all is there (though if that's not the kind of thing you're using already, you would likely have to input everything into it again- that would be tedious and time-consuming and not something I would ask anyone to do).

The only reason I say this is because there's no easy way to tell what the set still needs, which is kinda necessary to offer any substantial amount of help.
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
Artirian_Legacy

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 27 Jul 2015, 08:13

*Ahem* This may take a while to read through. You've been warned.

Serge Yager: There are currently no nonbasic lands in the set to enable him. If drafted 3x{SET}, whatever lands added would probably need to be at common, else could be whatever

I can see storm is a mechanic you're trying to mess around with and most of the pieces and enablers are at common... is there supposed to be a storm deck, or does everyone get it?

I think the Dredge numbers on a few cards should be upped slightly, especially with all of the scry potentially setting up good dredges, and to keep things interesting

Some of your hybrid cards don't exactly follow with the hybrid rules (hybrid cards must be able to exist as either color). For example, Burning Helix could exist as 1WR because it does a red thing and a white thing, but white doesn't do unconditional direct damage.

(Hybrid troubles)
Unholy Malediction: Very similar to, but more black and less white than, One Thousand Lashes

Acolyte of Serge: Functionally, should cost WB, not 1(W/B), but I'd like to bump it up to 1WB. Flavor-wise, Serge card cares about lands, not creatures, so why would his acolyte care about creatures? Still like the card
(End hybrid troubles)

Violent Oppressor: Does this really need flying? Maybe make it a 4/4? I dunno, just doesn't seem quite right

Leaping Recluse: Seems very strong given the number of flying things in this set (22), I would like it bumped up to 4 or 5 mana.

Blitz Hellion: Maybe make it a 6/5? I know it goes away no matter what, but that's a lot of damage on turn 4 or 5.

I think haste should be removed from either Unstable Hulk or Goblin Killrunner. Whichever one it gets taken from should also have a colored mana in its cost changed to a colorless one (and maybe bump down to common?). There will still be 4 other solid hasty beaters in the set as it stands

Alex Steacy: Maybe change the second ability to combat damage so you can actually use the creature and not get free Lightning Bolts for the rest of the game?

Starkesian Summons: Either change cost to 4GG or even 3GGG. Making two copies of your best creature is insane

Hiveback Elemental: What does it need Dredge for?! This thing's amazing even without it

Deal With It: Needs "by spells or abilities" clauses tacked on both lines. Bad things happen when spells have no target but cannot be countered, even by the game. It's fine on creatures (I think also permanents in general, but creatures for sure), but not other spells

Paulesian Tinkerer: The searched car must be revealed so that the opponent knows you found a legal target (see Enlightened Tutor and Merchant Scroll for precedent, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule for these kinds of effects)

Aven Fleetwing: Has no P/T

Epicure of Suffering: Probably should read: "... you gain life equal to the amount of life lost this way" to warrant being a rare

Spear of Havok: How many creatures are returning from exile?

Whew that was a lot of words
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
GreatCanadianGuy

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 27 Jul 2015, 09:55

Artirian_Legacy, thank you! Above and beyond, my friend. I'm going to take a look at your suggestions and go over the set again with an eye on archetypes and on wording. While I want storm to be available in all colors, it is meant to be a red/blue (Cam) archetype itself. I did realize while uploading that the set needs nonbasic lands; I made Serge very early on and just forgot to include things to work with him. I also corrected some mana costs and added some p/t around the same time you must have been looking at the cards. Aven Fleetwing has been updated.

As for Alex Steacy, I may make the change suggested, but I found the flavour of "dome them out, every turn" on a wacky creature that just blinks itself on ETB to be very suited to its source. Does this flavour explanation make you more amiable to the card's current design?

I'll continue to update my OP with changes and with things I'd like from anyone in the community who has something to offer.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jul 2015, 11:03

I'd like to see this, but your first link to the set is a 403 error. Also, I have a LRR set icon if you want to use it for this.

I'd also personally recommend the new border. I'll download the .mse file and see if I can spruce this up a little, since I can't look at the images.

If Alex is mythic, I think the free Lightning Bolts are fine.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

GreatCanadianGuy

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 27 Jul 2015, 12:15

Thanks, AdmiralMemo. I've updated the link to the visual spoiler, so let me know if there are any more issues. Yes, both of the examples are Mythic Rares. I'd appreciate any sprucing you can do, and would be much obliged for that set symbol, as it would save me the hassle of making one.
Artirian_Legacy

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 27 Jul 2015, 14:00

I... can not believe I forgot that Alex was the one who started "Dome 'em out!". I very much take back my earlier comment.
-Tayan Ondir
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 27 Jul 2015, 14:12

Starkesian Summons + Doubling Season + Opalescence/starfield of nyx...
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jul 2015, 14:19

Why is James black? Doesn't seem flavorful, also, I'll fix what seem to be a BUNCH of typos. :-D

Also, can I add a card? I'd like one that is functional but slightly silly:

Alex's Choice
1R
Sorcery
Choose one:
- Put two 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Flavor text: Krenko's Command or Dragon Fodder! You have to choose!

steric hindrance
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby steric hindrance » 27 Jul 2015, 14:39

AdmiralMemo wrote:Why is James black? Doesn't seem flavorful, also, I'll fix what seem to be a BUNCH of typos. :-D

Also, can I add a card? I'd like one that is functional but slightly silly:

Alex's Choice
1R
Sorcery
Choose one:

Flavor text: Krenko's Command or Dragon Fodder! You have to choose!

This made me think of how Krenko's Command should have been formatted:
Choose two --
  • Put a 1/1 red Goblin token onto the battlefield.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jul 2015, 14:43

The amusing thing would be that the choice you make determines which art you use for the Goblin tokens. :-D

Also, we need to have some tokens. Especially since some of these make tokens.

GreatCanadianGuy

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 27 Jul 2015, 15:36

James is black for three reasons. One, because I needed a black mythic; two, because all I can say about his "mtg personality" is that he likes to win, which is a black ideal; three, because his Friday Nights character card from the intro is black:

And I love Alex's Choice. I'm not against wacky cards, so long as they're functional. Would you mind if I called it "Steacy's Command" and went with the 'choose two' wording?

Furthermore, I have added a few more cards. We're up to 140, and have better fleshed out Storm as a mechanic for limited. I've also made a few little changes and corrections, mostly based on Artirian_Legacy's suggestions. I'll be updating the links shortly.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jul 2015, 15:53

Sounds good. It's your set after all. :-)

Also, I hope you realize that for Subitaneous Sabre, you can't equip at instant speed.

Do you not have the Beleren font installed?

GreatCanadianGuy

Re: LRR Custom Set - 142 so far!

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 27 Jul 2015, 21:00

I do now! Further updates will be more aesthetically pleasing. Thanks, by the way.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 27 Jul 2015, 21:05

I just got finished my tweaking. I'll PM you with the adjustments I made and the link to the .mse file.

SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 28 Jul 2015, 11:26

You could also make it a charm:
"Choose one: Put two 1/1 red goblin tokens onto the battlefield; or put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield. Put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield; or put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield, then put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield."

:P

Wrt Alex, it feels a bit off to me that it's never on the battlefield for more than a few seconds. That might be the intent, but it feels like having it exile on upkeep, return at eot might be an interesting way of doing it as well.
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby WP&P » 28 Jul 2015, 16:48

What about making one of the charm/command choices be "Put two 1/1 red goblin tokens onto the battlefield under target opponent's control, then gain control of those creatures", and maybe another choice could be "Put five 1/1 red goblin tokens onto the battlefield, then sacrifice three goblins".

Those might actually be abusable in some ways...
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 28 Jul 2015, 19:53

Five etb triggers for two mana is rather obscene... combine that with three death triggers and it's just silly.
GreatCanadianGuy

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 28 Jul 2015, 20:11

SixFootTurkey wrote:You could also make it a charm:
"Choose one: Put two 1/1 red goblin tokens onto the battlefield; or put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield. Put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield; or put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield, then put a 1/1 red goblin token onto the battlefield."

:P

Wrt Alex, it feels a bit off to me that it's never on the battlefield for more than a few seconds. That might be the intent, but it feels like having it exile on upkeep, return at eot might be an interesting way of doing it as well.

I played with a few ideas, but ultimately decided on a simple, effective, but goofy card. It's functionally the same as Dragon Fodder/Krenko's Command, which is a useful card for limited and constructed, and it reads just strangely enough to get a double-take.

As for Alex's character card, it was actually the first one I made for this set, and I really like what it does. It's powerful, flavourful, functional, and unique.

WP&P wrote:What about making one of the charm/command choices be "Put two 1/1 red goblin tokens onto the battlefield under target opponent's control, then gain control of those creatures", and maybe another choice could be "Put five 1/1 red goblin tokens onto the battlefield, then sacrifice three goblins".

Those might actually be abusable in some ways...

That'd be one hell of a card, but it's way too powerful in its current form (or would have to be too expensive for practical use in a deck that wants to cast it). Maybe I could do something with bilateral tokens, I'm not sure. I do have room at rare to fiddle around. I can't make any promises, though.
WP&P
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby WP&P » 29 Jul 2015, 16:30

SixFootTurkey wrote:Five etb triggers for two mana is rather obscene... combine that with three death triggers and it's just silly.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Champion of Lambholt says "Hi"!

It could be toned down to 3 enter, 1 sacrifice, maybe. Cheaper than Hordeling Outburst at 2 mana, but with the "drawback" of the sac.
What do model railroading and Magic: The Gathering have in common?
I don't have enough time or money for either!

http://wpandp.com/Home/the-rest/borderlands-a-custom-mtg-set/eclipse-an-expansion-for-borderlands/
GreatCanadianGuy

Re: LRR Custom Set - 153 so far!

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 30 Jul 2015, 07:04

Latest update has 153 cards total. I've omitted the tokens from the MSE file for now, because they mess with the statistics. Furthermore, some cards have changed, specifically to fix the distribution of creatures across rarity and color.

I hope that there's continued interest from the community, because this project is nearly finished and I think it's going to be a lot of fun.
Artirian_Legacy

Re: LRR Custom Set - 164 so far!

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 01 Aug 2015, 17:14

I think there may have been an oversight in putting Purify in the set alongside Fracturing Gust, considering they are basically the same, with the Gust being strictly better.
-Tayan Ondir
GreatCanadianGuy

Re: LRR Custom Set - 164 so far!

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 01 Aug 2015, 18:42

Artirian_Legacy wrote:I think there may have been an oversight in putting Purify in the set alongside Fracturing Gust, considering they are basically the same, with the Gust being strictly better.

Good call, thanks. I'll find something to replace it with.
GreatCanadianGuy

Re: LRR Custom Set - COMPLETE (Mostly)!

Postby GreatCanadianGuy » 11 Aug 2015, 23:16

Set is complete! 210 cards in total. Thanks to AdmiralMemo and Artirian_Legacy for their help. I hope that people will have the chance to play with these cards.

If anyone knows of a way to draft the set digitally, please let me know!
AdmiralMemo

Re: LRR Custom Set - COMPLETE (Mostly)!

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Aug 2015, 09:48

Looks pretty decent. Minor issues:

• The text on Shimmering Grotto, Archwing Dragon, and Trollhide look strangely formatted. I think you have one too many enters in there.
  • Hiveback Elemental, Petter's Ploy, Frostburn Invoker, Saundering Mine, Don't Worry About It, Cameron's Insight, Turner's Clutch, and Grasp From Beyond need some art.
  • The S in First strike on Skyguard Veteran should not be capitalized.
  • I think several other cards could use some flavor text.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”