Magic Duels (duels of the planeswalkers origins)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Magic Duels (duels of the planeswalkers origins)

Postby Lord Hosk » 31 Jul 2015, 09:11

I have been very disappointed, not in the game itself which plays quite smoothly but I frequently lose connection to their servers which means I cant advance the story mode and also lose the progress I made.

Similar to LRR's experience playing the first Kideon quest over and over I have had to play his second quest twice, third twice and fourth three times because it was connected when I started the match but lost connection during it.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Re: Magic Duels (duels of the planeswalkers origins)

Postby Atifexe » 31 Jul 2015, 12:31

The disconnections only affected me once, but I get severe performance issues when I'm a match. As far as I know, I meet all the requirements, so I'm not sure what's going on. I do know, though, that it's very difficult to pause the timer (or according to my phone's autocorrect, praise the tiger) in time to do anything as a reaction.
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 31 Jul 2015, 12:34

I've been able to find certain pockets of time that work for me, at least.

@Atifexe: Are you using the Steam version? Because if you are, I think the options let you bind "Stop Timer" to a key (I use spacebar).

BTW, has anybody else experienced the opponent randomly discarding a card at the end of their turn? It's happened to me every so often against opponents with nearly empty hands and without having any way of discarding (I checked the board and graveyard just to make sure).
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 31 Jul 2015, 12:36

I am, and even using spacebar doesn't always register on the first try.
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 31 Jul 2015, 13:50

The game lacks polish and the disconnections usually signal logoff time to me.
Still I'm more stoked about it than I was with 2015 upon launch. The menus are much less aggravating!
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 31 Jul 2015, 23:13

So... this just happened during the last mission in Liliana's story mode:

And it wasn't even *that* much damage, TBH... Had I bothered to dredge through the last dozen cards or so, that number coulda gone into the 200s, easy

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 01 Aug 2015, 00:28

I felt the Lilly missions got easier from start to finish. I failed the first one twice from bad draws, had a little trouble but won the second one, and then just rolled through three four and five.

Gris took 6 turns, the second deamon took 2 including the turn I beat gris, and the third and fourth both died on turn 9.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 01 Aug 2015, 03:34

Oh, absolutely. I mean, the game is supposed to give you "better" cards as the stories go on, but some of Gideon's and maybe Jace's deck changes were a mixed bag at best. Meanwhile, Liliana not only gets cards that are "very good" to "excellent" with very few downsides, but they all play into her utterly cuckoo bananas graveyard combo-ing.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
lazylantern
First Video: The "unskippable" with Yatzhee

Postby lazylantern » 01 Aug 2015, 09:42

The raven man keapt kicking my arse.
Liliana's campaign is subject to variance a lot of the time. You either SUPER WIN or you never stand a chance. Even Versus Grizzlebrand he just sometimes Crushes me or I steamroll him. There is never an in-between.

Nothing compares to Nissa's deck. I don't know the decklist but it has to be lacking lands. I feel like I am always mana screwed.... in a green deck...
In Brightest day, In blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight
let those.... ah hell you know the rest
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Postby RadioshackRaider » 01 Aug 2015, 11:19

This is the first time I've played one of the duels, and I have to say I'm enjoying it. I'm not having as much of a problem with connectivity as everyone else so I managed to beat the story in a few hours spaced over Thursday and Friday. The one gripe about it I have so far is that once you beat story mode, you don't get the cards you've just played with. It feels pointless not to. It means you don't get to play with nowhere near as many cool stuff once you're building your own decks.

I'd also say, G/B Elves seems pretty strong. I've one most of the games I've played with them accept for when the AI pulls out 3 mythics in one deck (Kideon, Jace and Archangel of Tithes, which the Ai is very fond of). I've also had some fortunate early pulls (Woodland Bellower, Nissa and Kothophed), which makes playing against the AI a bit better dued to a lack of cheap creatures in green, as well as ramp actually. I wish there was a bigger starting pool that what you get, but oh well.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 01 Aug 2015, 12:42

I am still stuck with Gideon's story, since the game refuses to recognize that I beat Erebos's Titan and let me move on to the next story. It's a rather poor launch, but it's free and I am patient.
Randus2003
First Video: the couch

Postby Randus2003 » 01 Aug 2015, 14:38

Phi wrote:I am still stuck with Gideon's story, since the game refuses to recognize that I beat Erebos's Titan and let me move on to the next story. It's a rather poor launch, but it's free and I am patient.

it wants you to go buy packs (it's basically still in walk you through the system mode)
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 01 Aug 2015, 21:25

Randus2003 wrote:
Phi wrote:I am still stuck with Gideon's story, since the game refuses to recognize that I beat Erebos's Titan and let me move on to the next story. It's a rather poor launch, but it's free and I am patient.

it wants you to go buy packs (it's basically still in walk you through the system mode)

As well as open packs, build a deck, and play through an AI match.

Honestly, I downloaded it today. Beat story mode. Deleted it. Playing through was really annoying at first, as there wasn't any real way (that I saw) to skip the tutorial. I was lucky enough to not run into any disconnect issue.

But I felt like the game really was more 'does the AI allow you to win?' The games I lost felt like they were impossible for me to win, often due to flood over being overwhelmed early on. The games I won were often just slaughters. Even on levels that I'd had trouble with my first attempt.

The 'evolving deck' idea was kind of neat. Though how well the decks improved was very hit or miss. Lili felt like she got a bunch of good stuff. Jace felt like they tried to force him into mill (really shown by the last mission). Jace overall just felt like his deck was poorly matched against his opponents. The first mission was the hardest, because the opponent would normally just out-aggro me before I could actually do anything.

Overall, I found it disappointing. Between the weird coin system, the lack of 'puzzle' mode, and that kind of thing... well, you get what you pay for, I suppose. I'd still say it's worth playing, given it's free.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”