Pie in the face cube - looking for suggestions

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Pie in the face cube - looking for suggestions

Postby susu.exp » 15 Aug 2015, 23:39

I've started building a cube with a theme of "breaks the color pie", trying to get 10 2 color archetypes to work that are generally not these colors. For instance I got a nice GR-Skies theme with 25 cards (10 each or red and green and 5 gold cards).
I think I can get there with RW Reanimator as well, but I still have 8 slots open and haven't settled on themes for these. So I'm putting this out here looking for suggestions.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Re: Pie in the face cube - looking for suggestions

Postby chetoos » 16 Aug 2015, 05:15

GW mill? If there are cards to support that. If not, then GW card advantage, since I know that's a thing.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 16 Aug 2015, 05:19

Look at Planar Chaos and Future Sight for ideas.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 16 Aug 2015, 10:16

Hmm, there is not a single white card that mills AFAIK (and that's just after looking through all white cards that have "graveyard" in their rulestext). A GW mill deck would only work through white "shuffle your graveyard back" effects probably supplemented by artifacts and fogs. But that's pretty much a turbo fog deck, which isn't really out of the GW pie.

A lot of the Time Spiral block cards don't really allow themed to be built around them, because the sets are too narrow as a card pool. That being said, they will be raided to fill up the cube, because 25 cards per 2 color combination makes 250 cards, I'm going with 30 dual lands, which leaves 80 slots for "unaffiliated" cards, that can go into a lot of different decks (and maybe some strategy that isn't based on a 2 color pair).

The things I've found helpful for finding the themes are either things that were common before the color pie was fully worked out - there are a lot of pre-modern green insects for instance. And of course in DTK green got some big fliers and then there was M15, where Tom L protested against Hornet Nest with a "You might as well just go ahead and reprint Hornet Queen", which made some other RnD members go "Hmmm..."

There are enchantment matters cards in colors that usually don't care about enchantments in Theros and Urza block.
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 17 Sep 2015, 08:13

So, I'm at 6/10 for the color pairs:
RG Skies
UR Ramp
RW Reanimator
UW Burn
UB Mana denial
RB Defenders
Which means there are 4 more to go: Orzhov, Selesnya, Simic and Golgari still need something to do. 60 of the free slots have also found cards. But there has to be something I can do with the 4 remaining guilds.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Postby chetoos » 17 Sep 2015, 08:47

For golgari, how about small, fast, aggressive creatures? and for Simic... Mill? or at least "draw the opponent out". Selesnya can be draw power, and Orzhov, combat tricks? Like their focus is on combat and stuff like that?
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
susu.exp

Postby susu.exp » 17 Sep 2015, 13:57

I've looked for non-blue mill and the only real option are some of the mon-black Dimir cards from the Ravnicas. I added some white fogs, so there's at least the foundation of a mill deck in Orzhov - and that can be supplemented with an artifact or two. The main problem with mill in Simic would be that there are no green mill cards and mill is definitely in blues portion of the color pie.
Going aggro for Golgari seems like a decent option, maybe even a tribal theme. There would be enough non-green elves for Orzhov, but I'n not sure what Golgari could get there - Faeries seem to overlap a lot with Gruul skies...
I'm not sure how Selesnya would get to draw that many cards. White has a couple of cantrips and not much else (and the "else" is already in the cube as far as I can tell).

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”