Thought Experiment MTG as a video game

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
FITorion
First Video: One of the Check Points about a year ago

Thought Experiment MTG as a video game

Postby FITorion » 22 Aug 2015, 17:41

So... I don't play Magic... but I enjoy watching the magic related streams and such. While watching some I got to thinking about the sorta meta world of it all.

Is each game that 2 or more people play against each other a "new instance" of the "world" and the game itself a simulation of the events that transpired in said world?

Or is the "world" persistent and every game that anyone plays across our world is taking place in the "world" simultaneously?

For the first one I see it as sorta like every time you start a new Skyrim game... Everything's reset and the story could take a new direction. If a game such as this were made then the campaign or epic journey of your character would be as if one game of magic was being played. You could be "one of the cards" caught up in a battle between god like welders of fate. Or a different take could have you be the welder of fate... but that's already what magic is... If I were making a game I'd want to play... I'd want to be in the world rather than above it.

The second... I see as a more humorous meta take on the whole thing... I might make a mobile game where you're like a farmer or other random villager... living in a world where huge battles are being waged all around all the time. You'd be dealing with the constant aftermath of such things. Like every time your land gets tapped to fuel some mages epic spell... all your crops die... Or the big bad thing with trample ... tramples through the village destroying buildings... I imagine this as an against the odds MTG town builder where you're attempting to build a thriving settlement in the middle of a raging warscape.

I tried discussing my ideas in chat and found that a poor place to discuss such things. What do you think of my rambling musings? How do you imagine the world of magic? What type of game based on magic would you like to see made someday? Or maybe a movie?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”