Battle for the Spoiler Season of Zendikar

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Battle for the Spoiler Season of Zendikar

Postby Phi » 28 Aug 2015, 05:19

So the season is at our doorstep with one official spoiler and a few from the dual decks that are most likely going to be in BFZ:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

So we have Landfall, Devoid, Ingest, Awaken and Allies. I am new to the game so I was not around during Zendikar, but I really like the Eldrazi from a flavour perspective and I like how not all of them are going to be huge annihilators. Their card frame looks sick too.

Thoughts?
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Re: Battle for the Spoiler Season of Zendikar

Postby Kapol » 28 Aug 2015, 12:34

I don't like devoid. It feels like... well, what it more or less is. An excuse to allow them to be decently powerful cards without breaking the 'flavor' of the colorless Eldrazi. I would have much rather had those smaller eldrazi be effected by the powerful mana of the plane to become colored rather than have them use a mechanic to explain it away. I guess I'm just not a fan of them trying to do use full mechanics like that.

I'm interested in seeing how Awaken plays in limited. In general, I really dislike land animation. I don't like the idea of putting my main source of casting spells in the way of being killed. But, if anything, it should be interesting to see.

It might just be me getting my hopes up, but I'm getting the feeling that Battle will be almost as good as Khans was. Though that super bomby blue sphinx has me a bit worried that it will be closer to Fate-Khans-Khans, and I didn't like that format.
theycallmejokke
First Video: Unskipperble: Lost Plant 2 - Part 1

Postby theycallmejokke » 28 Aug 2015, 13:25

Only reasonly picked up magic again, but I'm really enjoying the RoE flashback drafts on MTGO at the moment.
So while none of these spoiled cards so far have me super mega hyped, I am really looking foreward to seeing more.
"You have the right to remain silent. Mostly because I tire of your excuses."
Aviator Moonshine
First Video: In Command (Most likely)

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 29 Aug 2015, 07:11

I'm really liking the New Zendikar so far...
And I think I'm absoloutely head over heels for this guy. Not only did I find a fun way to make him OP as hell in Commander...And then a way to counter that.

Use Boundless Realms for Tons of 5/5 tokens.

And if you land against that kind of player. Have Witchbane orb in play and flash in a Wipe spell(Like Rout) and see him Lightning bolt himself in the face TONS of times. :P
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 29 Aug 2015, 21:10

YO

YO

YO

And yeah, I know that the last two cards are slightly less rare than foil mythics, but YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Last edited by Asthanius on 29 Aug 2015, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Aug 2015, 21:13

It annoys me that the full art rare lands are going to be so rare. Especially given the fact they have new art. They look amazing... but I know I'll never be able to get them unless I get super lucky with a pack or two.
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 29 Aug 2015, 21:14

That's why I'm not going to buy food for three months and then buy as many playsets of these cards as I can.

...I'm only slightly joking.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Aug 2015, 21:16

People have been speculating that the ZEN fetches will be $250+ each in the short-term, more in the long term. I'm guessing that the Khans fetches and shocks will likely be $100+ depending on the fetch. So... you might not be able to eat for a while. :(
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 29 Aug 2015, 21:19

Okay, so maybe I'll just get the one playset I need for my Modern deck.

At the very least, I think I'll be able to open some because I've opened 7 foil mythics since I started playing in RTR, one of which is a Tarmogoyf (MM 2015). Here's hoping I haven't used up all of my luck!

...Or I could trade the goyf for one of the fetches and something else, I guess.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 29 Aug 2015, 21:41

That's always a possibility. Honestly, I want to get a playset of all of them. But that's never going to happen. I hope to at least get a Breeding Pool, Temple Garden, Misty Rainforest, or Windswept Heath, as those are my favorites.

Thinking about it, considering I don't play competitively in anything, I might just proxy them.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Aug 2015, 23:16

I'm wondering if there will be no more Eldrazi Spawn and it'll just be Scion tokens from now on.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 30 Aug 2015, 04:23

Since the Scions are "mature Spawn" (they're 1/1's instead of 0/1's), I assume that Spawn won't be showing up. However, I'm also interested in finding out what a Processor is in terms of the Eldrazi.

SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 30 Aug 2015, 05:14

I wanted to poke my head in on devoid. I actually _really_ like the flavor of the keyword. Mechanically, you what colors are needed to cast a spell dictate what effects you have access to. On the flavor side though, despite doing things that one may consider [color], they do so in such an alien way that they can't really be considered that color by anyone trying to anticipate their moves. (You can't use your magic that you perfected to counter spells cast by Red mages to counter an Eldrazi spell that has a Red effect.)

The keyword definitely shouldn't see use outside of Eldrazi cards, but I like it here. (It would make no sense to give devoid to something like Ghostfire.)

I agree on the Scions, I don't see us having two extremely similar tokens in the same set.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 30 Aug 2015, 12:42

THEM LANDS. oh my stars
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 30 Aug 2015, 17:28

What do you think of the Ob Nixilis rumor? its from the same source of the Gideon leak.
Quote:
He is a 3BB
+1 draw a card, lose a life
-3 destroy target creature
-8 target opponent gets an emblem that say “when you draw a card lose 2 life”
I cannot remember if he starts at 4 or 5

Edit: For the Gideon leak:
http://mythicspoiler.com/
Also the new Ulamog looks badass.
demiteddybear
First Video: Unskippable

Postby demiteddybear » 31 Aug 2015, 02:45

I saw these last night, and I love that landfall is coming back, I just really like the mechanic, and month just looks super cool. The eldrazi look really interesting, and ulamog is a beast, so it looks like I'll be stocking up on claustrophobia for my thopter deck, I am wondering how non white/blue are supposed to deal with him besides "better hope you've won before 10 mana"
Asthanius

Postby Asthanius » 31 Aug 2015, 05:20

Mainly, black will be destroying all of the other creatures so they'll be able to attack past Ulamog. Red will either go wide with a bunch of small, aggressive creatures, or burn your face. And green will just be constantly swinging with powerful creatures, forcing the opponent to block and lose their smaller creatures.
Aviator Moonshine

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 31 Aug 2015, 05:47

I think the new Ulamog is gonna be a big bother fighting in Commander, if not any format.
His First ability let's him exile two permanents, even if he's countered. Which is hella bonkers.

And, his second triggers when he attacks and not when he deals damage, unlike the lesser Eldrazi's we've seen so far that use the "Ingest" ability. Which is gonna be just frustrating trying to deal with.

And to be frank, even though I won't enjoy going against it in games, I'll still Love the card.
I Intend to get a copy, which may in the end involve buying him through the internet.
Aviator Moonshine

Postby Aviator Moonshine » 31 Aug 2015, 05:50

AdmiralMemo wrote:I'm wondering if there will be no more Eldrazi Spawn and it'll just be Scion tokens from now on.

There will probably not be Spawn's in this set. Maybe in the second one in the block.

There isn't that big of a difference to be honest.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 31 Aug 2015, 09:14

Keep in mind that he has a CMC of 10; yes there are ways to ramp into that, but they're already nerfing green mana dorks (no more one drop dorks). Most colors can aim to go under him while taking out acceleration you have.

(In limited if you get to 10 mana with him in hand, unless you're in burn range or dead on the crack back, you're probably set. I'm okay with that though, you got to 10 mana and he/she/it is a mythic.)

On Scions, Maro stated "Spawn have become Scion because we wanted them to have more impact", and that he would be going into more depth in a preview article. (So it's safe to say Spawn won't be making an appearance this set, and probably won't be in Sweat either.)
SohNata
First Video: Unskippable

Postby SohNata » 31 Aug 2015, 09:42

If there's a limited format in which I can cast Ulamog, I'll be very happy. I really enjoy slower formats.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 31 Aug 2015, 10:00

There seems like there will be some decent ramp into a potential Ulamog, the question that remains to be seen is whether or not we'll get the control elements. (As Origins was rather fast, I wouldn't mind a slower format to follow.)
Tacos_yay
First Video: Crapshots

Postby Tacos_yay » 31 Aug 2015, 11:22

I definitely agree that that this looks like it could be a slow format, and that's not a bad thing. I'm very curious how the non eldrazi rares are going to balance the format. Also keep in mind that there is a possibility they ban Ulamog in commander. I'm already liking this set infinitely more than I liked Khans Block.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 01 Sep 2015, 01:55

I like what I've seen, but I prefer not to count my chickens...

Khans block started out pretty sweet, but R&D knows how where they went wrong (check out Maro's look back on 2015 article). Essentially they had a few really central concepts that were individually great, but clashed when put together, and they didn't realize this until too late. (They would have loved to put dragons first and end with wedges, but that messed with the whole 'we're going to Tarkir so Sarkhan can go save the dragons' bit.)

That said, I didn't care for some of the mechanics (especially Temur's two and Megamorph), and some (like Outlast) felt a little too shallow. As for BFZ, I'm at least interested in all of the ones we've seen so far.
MowDownJoe
First Video: Joystique

Postby MowDownJoe » 01 Sep 2015, 08:04

Guys! Guys!

NUlamog can be reanimated. He doesn't have the old shuffle clause!
Victim of a Platinum Angel/Phage combo in Momir. Thanks, LRR!

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”