Oath of the Goatwatch Spoilers

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
DomesticSleepers
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Re: Oath of the Goatwatch Spoilers

Postby DomesticSleepers » 24 Dec 2015, 16:12

Could Goblin Dark-Dwellers be used to fire Ancestral Vision? Is there a chance to see RUG Shardless be a thing?
DomesticSleepers or Sjlangenegger on most anyplace I go.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 24 Dec 2015, 19:34

It could, but I'm not sure that's enough of a pay-off for 5 mana in legacy.
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 24 Dec 2015, 20:22

Am I the only one who thinks it's very strange that we didn't get the manland cycle as Expeditions? Especially since we got the Battle Lands?
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 25 Dec 2015, 02:04

Manlands have a lot of text for an expedition
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Asthanius
First Video: The Job

Postby Asthanius » 28 Dec 2015, 09:08

Ethan Fleischer's article mentioned that one of Oath encourages the use of multiple Planeswalker cards. I'm wondering how that could possibly be referenced outside of rare and mythic, unless it's something that deals with card types. But even then, I don't know what exactly it could be.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 30 Dec 2015, 15:17

http://mythicspoiler.com/ogw/cards/remo ... shment.jpg

So far the card I like the most. Makes me want to brew an esper standard deck that has Narset to rebound it.
korvys
First Video: Zero Punctuation: X-Blades/Halo Wars

Postby korvys » 01 Jan 2016, 14:30

I'm actually managing to avoid spoilers almost entirely this season. I always wanted to try to go into a prerelease unspoiled, and while that's basically impossible, I'm actually not seeking out the spoilers.

I've seen a couple on twitter, and will watch the LRR video, but I didn't look at the big mythic leak, and haven't been stalking the Mythic Spoiler page. I'll be curious how it goes when I get to the prerelease, knowning almost nothing.

(Oh, and it probably goes without saying that I've not been reading this thread either.)
"Why does Sonic chill like dawgs?" - Graham
"Causation. Still a leading cause of correlation"" - Oglaf

Google+ / Twitter / Mastodon
keybase.io
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 03 Jan 2016, 05:18

Still waiting for those goat tokens.
MagisterMystax
First Video: The Innistrad hat draft on MTGO academy

Postby MagisterMystax » 03 Jan 2016, 05:30

Oath of Nyssa is a hilarious card, and it makes me want to build a terrible 5-colour superfriends deck with a landbase made entirely of forests. In fact, if a massive pile of planeswalkers wasn't so hideously expensive, I would definitely do it.
I stream video games every friday at 19:00 GMT, at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 03 Jan 2016, 08:27

I'm not really a fan of the oaths so far: most of the time they'll lose half of the text on the card in limited, and whilst Oath of Nissa is powerful and interesting - the last thing standard needs is more fixing.

I do, however, love the new Chandra. Really versatile set of abilities, very red, and very cool art.

Also a fan of: Tribal and equipment seem to be more of a thing. Jori En seems like an interesting build-around. Flayer Drone for the Jund tentacles deck I've been wanting to make. Eldrazi Mimic loves Phyrexian Dreadnought. Remorseless Punishment is an extremely interesting finisher for control decks. Pauper gets some neat fixing options with Crumbling Vestige and Holdout Settlement. And I think there's still one more expedition to be spoiled, so... Springjack Pasture?
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Postby square1 » 05 Jan 2016, 08:16

Oath of Chandra was a little disappointing but maybe the best in limited since it's removal. I don't understand why they needed to cap the ETB trigger. Is there some easy way to play multiple planeswalkers a turn they were worried about? Maybe you can flip trigger Jace, Vryn's Prodigy multiple times or something.

Bonds of Mortality is going straight into all my green EDH decks.

They weren't kidding about telling the story on the cards. You can't even post one of the new card names without spoiling the story.

My real excitement is for Stormchaser Mage though. UR tempo all day.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Jan 2016, 08:30

The new two story cards make me worry about where the story is going. It seems like a bad way to end it if that's all there is to it. Chandra shows up, likely saving the gang from their current situation with Ob. Jace figures out how to tether the titans to the world, because he's Jace and can figure out anything apparently. Nissa is the only one who can use his plan basically only so she is necessary for the whole thing, and binds them to the world. Chandra apparently is powerful enough to burn two giant, world-eating Eldrazi titans to death. And Gideon... is around. It all feels Deus Ex Machina to me. If there's no fallout from this, I'll be severely disappointed.

I think Oath of Nissa might be better for limited than Oath of Chandra? Like, a one mana semi-Anticipate seems pretty strong for green. But Oath of Chandra is likely better honestly. It just depends on if we see better options.

As it stands,
square1

Postby square1 » 05 Jan 2016, 09:00

Kapol wrote:The new two story cards make me worry about where the story is going. It seems like a bad way to end it if that's all there is to it. Chandra shows up, likely saving the gang from their current situation with Ob. Jace figures out how to tether the titans to the world, because he's Jace and can figure out anything apparently. Nissa is the only one who can use his plan basically only so she is necessary for the whole thing, and binds them to the world. Chandra apparently is powerful enough to burn two giant, world-eating Eldrazi titans to death. And Gideon... is around. It all feels Deus Ex Machina to me. If there's no fallout from this, I'll be severely disappointed.

I think Oath of Nissa might be better for limited than Oath of Chandra? Like, a one mana semi-Anticipate seems pretty strong for green. But Oath of Chandra is likely better honestly. It just depends on if we see better options.

As it stands,

Agreed.
spoiler talk - Click to Expand
It does all seem a little too simple. Also, it feels like Ob Nixilis is doing the classic overconfident villain thing, so I'm not even sure if he's going to be around for long. I guess Emrakul is still out there and if the titans were doing anything to keep each other in check, that could be pretty bad. Also, given Ugin's explicit warnings about this kind of thing, I don't think he's going to be thrilled. There's still the Sorin/Nahiri mystery left to uncover, and why Bolas set this in motion in the first place. Plus Zendikar is still in ruins. Unless killing the titans somehow releases all that energy back into the plane and fixes everything.

Also, Hedron Alignment is a bit of a cop out of a card name after Aligned Hedron Network.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Jan 2016, 09:59

More spoiler talk (which seems kind of needless cause it's all on an officially spoiled set of cards, but still):

I think there's enough that could go wrong from them killing the titans to have some kind of blowback. I really hope it's not Emrakul getting pissed though. Mostly because I think Emrakul should just be a massive threat anyways, and I kind of doubt they're tied together. But it's still possible to have their death actually cause huge problems in the rest of the multiverse, or even just have them escape anyways.

If this ends up being something that just makes Ugin turn into -another- Elder Dragon villain, I'll be pissed. Same if this turns out to be all part of Bolas' schemes. I already dislike the whole omniscient villain thing.

I will say that I actually kind of like the idea of seeing a rebuilding of Zendikar return at some point. I'd like to visit the plane again without some kind of otherworldly threat taking all the attention.

The whole thing just gives me a bad feeling about the direction the story is going. Especially since this is them focusing more on it.
square1

Postby square1 » 05 Jan 2016, 10:38

I'd be happy if they moved back to sets introducing awesome planes or just dealing with internal planar politics with the bigger stuff operating on the edges. There's an infinite multiverse to explore. Getting a bit off-topic for this thread though :)

On topic, Sylvan Advocate rocks. potential 4/5 vigilance for 2 with the ally type that also boosts your man-lands? amazing. It's everything I wanted from Citadel Castellan and more. And since March from the Tomb is based off CMC, you could potentially put a lot of power into play late game. Makes me very excited that they might print enough good allies to make that tribal deck competitive.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 05 Jan 2016, 14:16

I'm now trying to figure out the best way to get to Hedron Alignment win. My best guess currently is Blue/White, using a mix of Starfield of Nyx, exploit and Dig Through Time to get the cards into your hand, exile and graveyard.

Edit: Wait, no. Run with discard tricks instead. You could get to mono blue. Much easier. Groan. This means that... yes, Jace is needed. Goddamnit, Jace.
jadamelio
First Video: The Cookie

Postby jadamelio » 05 Jan 2016, 15:13

JackSlack wrote:I'm now trying to figure out the best way to get to Hedron Alignment win. My best guess currently is Blue/White, using a mix of Starfield of Nyx, exploit and Dig Through Time to get the cards into your hand, exile and graveyard.

Edit: Wait, no. Run with discard tricks instead. You could get to mono blue. Much easier. Groan. This means that... yes, Jace is needed. Goddamnit, Jace.

I was thinking Eldrazi Izzet as a frame that does counter/burn to go long, using the Blue and Red sieges to chew through your deck and get hedrons into exile and the graveyard.
Kapol

Postby Kapol » 05 Jan 2016, 15:32

Red could also allow you to exile cards with, say, Outpost Siege while it's around. If you hit one of the Hedrons, you can just leave it there. And the scry ability can help see if one is coming up. It might also have some kind of hand discard available. Maybe the new Chandra? Make it some kind of U/R control build?
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 05 Jan 2016, 23:54

Or maybe UB for the tutors.
jadamelio

Postby jadamelio » 06 Jan 2016, 07:33

I would say the tutors aren't good enough for Hedron alignments because we need to get them in more places than the hand. While we still have delve, zephyr scribe and Monastary siege are our best bets, they get the cards in the hand and graveyard, then we delve one and cast the other

An alternative would be to manifest one Hedron alignment, so it does something(block) before you pitch it.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 06 Jan 2016, 12:32

What are the rules surrounding revealing cards that are exiled face down?

I was thinking that since the fourth Hedron Alignment is going to be the hardest to find, once you get to three just dump your whole library with Inverter of Truth.
jadamelio

Postby jadamelio » 06 Jan 2016, 14:14

I would assume its face down to prevent this exact thing

406.3. Exiled cards are, by default, kept face up and may be examined by any player at any time. Cards “exiled face down” can’t be examined by any player except when instructions allow it. However, once a player is allowed to look at a card exiled face down, that player may continue to look at that card as long as it remains exiled, even if the instruction allowing the player to do so no longer applies. A card exiled face down has no characteristics, but the spell or ability that exiled it may allow it to be played from exile. Unless that card is being cast face down (see rule 707.4), the card is turned face up just before the player announces that he or she is playing the card (see rule 601.2).
jadamelio

Postby jadamelio » 07 Jan 2016, 08:37

Our bigger issue is that Abzan Midrange is dominating the meta and runs 4 of Dromoka's command in the mainboard.

Esper control doesn't have a lot of interactions with the hedrons which is good. And Rally is just a race to see who goes first.

So how do we stop 4 commands?
square1

Postby square1 » 07 Jan 2016, 09:17

jadamelio wrote:Our bigger issue is that Abzan Midrange is dominating the meta and runs 4 of Dromoka's command in the mainboard.

Esper control doesn't have a lot of interactions with the hedrons which is good. And Rally is just a race to see who goes first.

Recursion to put it back into play like Starfield, or you're playing blue, so countermagic, or black for hand disruption. Or run other enchantments you don't care about like Oath of Jace to act as sacrifice fodder. Oath also conveniently helps dig for alignement, sets up the graveyard for your alignment, and serves as a nice draw engine with two Oaths and Starfield. You could even toss in Sphinx's Tutelage as an alternate win-con while you're doing all this digging for your hedrons.

The oaths actually are making me think a Bant Starfield / Sigil of the Empty Throne deck could be viable again.
jadamelio

Postby jadamelio » 07 Jan 2016, 10:00

square1 wrote:
jadamelio wrote:Our bigger issue is that Abzan Midrange is dominating the meta and runs 4 of Dromoka's command in the mainboard.

Recursion to put it back into play like Starfield, or you're playing blue, so countermagic, or black for hand disruption. Or run other enchantments you don't care about like Oath of Jace to act as sacrifice fodder. Oath also conveniently helps dig for alignement, sets up the graveyard for your alignment, and serves as a nice draw engine with two Oaths and Starfield. You could even toss in Sphinx's Tutelage as an alternate win-con while you're doing all this digging for your hedrons.

The oaths actually are making me think a Bant Starfield / Sigil of the Empty Throne deck could be viable again.

I agree, as far as enchantment fodder Oath of chandra seems to be the best candidate as an sorcery speed lightning strike it is not a plank, my other choice would be myth realised for a UW control using End hostilities or planar collapse.

On the note of hand attack Transgress Mind can target the controller and hits Hedron alignment so it has double utility. Further hand attack like dark deal will be perfect for digging and hand attacking while placing hedrons in the graveyard.

My currents deck ideas are RU Using Herald of Kozilek to make the new counter spell literal counter spell and touch of the void into lightening strike while using monastary siege to dig and using dig through time to place and get hedrons.

The other is UB control using counter magic and hand hate and the above mentioned tactics.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”