So the crapshot got me thinking

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
theicyhandofdeath
First Video: Doctors Hate Her

So the crapshot got me thinking

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 08 Mar 2016, 19:22

I had a thought for a new mtg format that I'm currently calling Communist Highlander, played like other highlander formats with similar decks but the two players librarys are shuffled together and are used by both as their own. Any additional suggestions would be helpful, this might be kinda fun to play around with.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: So the crapshot got me thinking

Postby fantôme » 09 Mar 2016, 09:33

I'm definitely playing a mill deck in this format.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 09 Mar 2016, 09:36

I like it, except it should be 50 or 60 card singleton, not 100. Trying to shuffle a 200 card deck would be miserable
theicyhandofdeath

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 09 Mar 2016, 10:04

Booster wrote:Trying to shuffle a 200 card deck would be miserable

Yeah, that would be terrifying, I think 60 card would work better in that case.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 09 Mar 2016, 11:19

Separating the decks afterwards would be a pain...

Possibly have three decks; a centralized deck that is the main deck and shared between all players, and then each player brings a small deck that is theirs? (Figuring out when you would get to draw from each would be an obstacle...)
theicyhandofdeath

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 09 Mar 2016, 12:33

Well the point of the format is the library is shared (because communism) if you had different sleeves I don't think it would be too bad afterwards.
eostby
First Video: The first Friday Nights

Postby eostby » 10 Mar 2016, 12:45

I believe there's a format that you can take inspiration from for this. Prepare to learn about Type 4: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Type_4
Rogue_Magic on the LRRCraft and LRRMC servers; visit my LRRCraft house near 423, -353 and my LRRMC house near -972, 195

Stand against the Pardonf**k!

Follow me on Twitter @ericostby
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 11 Mar 2016, 01:29

Having different sleeves would clash with the purpose of having a hidden zone. A format that forces every game to be played using a marked deck is... ill-advised.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 11 Mar 2016, 11:12

SixFootTurkey wrote:Having different sleeves would clash with the purpose of having a hidden zone. A format that forces every game to be played using a marked deck is... ill-advised.

All you would know is who the card belongs too, that is not very much information. Obviously that is more information than you get in a normal game of magic, but still not a lot of information.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 11 Mar 2016, 12:32

Booster wrote:
SixFootTurkey wrote:Having different sleeves would clash with the purpose of having a hidden zone. A format that forces every game to be played using a marked deck is... ill-advised.

All you would know is who the card belongs too, that is not very much information. Obviously that is more information than you get in a normal game of magic, but still not a lot of information.

'I'm looking for X (be it a certain type of mana, creature, what have you), when should I use this ability?' Knowing the owner of the card for every card in the library adds a layer of complexity that, while isn't very straightforward to use, punishes you for not doing aggravating calculations.

On a flavor note, you wouldn't know who the money came from; it got thrown into a pool and is now entirely indistinguishable.

It might be easier to just mess with the rules that affect whose library/gy/etc you can use. (I.e., 'whenever a card says 'your library' you may use anyone's'.)
theicyhandofdeath

Postby theicyhandofdeath » 11 Mar 2016, 15:48

An alternate but very time consuming solution to the sleeves thing would be writing down your decks on a piece of paper before the game, but that would take forever. I am of the mindset that even if they can tell whose card it is that doesn't matter a whole lot and could even play more into the strategy of the format.
HmFons
First Video: The Couch

Postby HmFons » 13 Mar 2016, 14:18

You could always put a little note in the sleeve with the card.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”