how to sell my collection

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Trevor
First Video: suspiciously good movers

how to sell my collection

Postby Trevor » 18 Apr 2016, 09:31

My roommate and I never play MTG anymore, and unfortunately we have come to a point where we probably need money more than we need cards.

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to find out if our collections are even worth selling, and
to actually sell some cards if they are
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Re: how to sell my collection

Postby fantôme » 18 Apr 2016, 14:27

Most online traders will have relatively quick to navigate buylists. Some will offer pretty decent prices, but some most definitely will not - so it's definitely worth shopping around, cardkingdom.com probably have some of the best prices but if you live outside the US then international shipping can play a big factor. Check magic.tcgplayer.com or magiccards.info for an idea of how much you should be getting for them.
susu.exp
First Video: FN - The Return

Postby susu.exp » 29 Apr 2016, 06:57

deckbox.org may also be helpful. You can enter your collection and get at least a rough idea of what it is worth (though their prices are generally based on internal trades which can be off compared to tcgplayer prices).
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 15 May 2016, 00:36

There are a few ways to get rid of a collection. Buylisting, selling individual cards online, selling your entire collection to someone who'll buy the entire thing at once, etc. There's benefits and downsides to each way. But one thing to keep in mind is that, unless you're willing to put in a lot of time and work, you're likely not going to get anywhere near your value in terms of store prices. At best, I'd expect to get somewhere a little less than TCG Player low normally.

If you're going for fast and easy, just selling your collection all at once is easy and fast if you can find the buyer. You're likely not going to make a lot off of it though. You might make 50% of the value of the big-named card value. Though that largely depends on the buyer as well. Not sure what's realistic though. Generally you'd find a buyer from visiting local stores and asking what they'd offer for everything or posting to Craigslist. Something along those lines. If there's a big Magic event near you that vendors will attend, you can also go there and see what they'll offer.

Another fast way that'll be somewhat more work is buylisting any valuable cards. Compare how much you can make off any given site, get an order around, ship it off, and you'll get paid. Most big-name sites are safe to sell to. I've had good experience with Card Kingdom as well as my LGS. After getting rid of valuable cards, you can always hold onto bulk to play with or sell it for a bit of money if you want the space.

Similar to buylisting, selling your collection online is more work and slower, but it will give you more money. Using a website like Amazon, Ebay, etc will all be pretty reliable. Again, it's slow, but it'll generally get you a fair bit more money. Alternatively, trying to sell it directly to people through something like Facebook or just to people from your area is your best bet for value. No fees and no shipping if they're local. But you're much more likely to get scammed this way, as well as any local risk with meeting up with random people.

Those are the ways I can think of. I do sell individual cards, and I normally either sell on Amazon or buylist to stores. I've been wanting to go to a larger event and sell off my bulk, but haven't had the chance.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”