On the lore of the Mending and Eldrazi

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
BaronVonRatsworth
First Video: How to talk like a pirate

On the lore of the Mending and Eldrazi

Postby BaronVonRatsworth » 05 Jun 2016, 23:54

So I was thinking about the lore for the recent sets and it occurred to me that the binding of the Eldrazi on Zendikar happened before the mending. This raised the question of did the mending change the Eldrazi and was that why the gatewatch was able to kill two of them. I'd share to get other (more lore knowledgeable) people's thoughts on this.

My thinking is basically that the mending fundamentally changed how the planeswalker spark interacted with the multiverse. The spark is related to how a physical plane bound creature can enter the blind eternities. The Eldrazi seem to be creatures of the blind eternities that can enter a physical plane, sorta the opposite of a planeswalker. It wouldn't be unreasonable therefore to think that the mending would have fundamentally changed the Elrazi in a similar way as well.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Re: On the lore of the Mending and Eldrazi

Postby Phi » 06 Jun 2016, 00:05

Call me cynical, but the way Wotc handles their story, I doubt they think about these things as deeply as us fans do. The Gatewatch managed to kill the titans because it was an epic sell of "Look how powerful the gatewatch is! Please love them! Especially Jace!"
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 06 Jun 2016, 05:29

They were able to kill the Eldrazi because they actually attempted to do so. Look at the aftermath where Ugin confronts Jace as well as the explanation for the purpose of the hedrons. The goal was never to kill the Eldrazi, Jace et all just didn't really care what Ugin's goal was.
demiteddybear
First Video: Unskippable

Postby demiteddybear » 07 Jun 2016, 03:04

Phi wrote:Call me cynical, but the way Wotc handles their story, I doubt they think about these things as deeply as us fans do. The Gatewatch managed to kill the titans because it was an epic sell of "Look how powerful the gatewatch is! Please love them! Especially Jace!"

Alright, you're cynical. Although I think you're half right. The rule of cool will always exist in narration. Non fiction doesn't have plot holes but it also isn't as exciting as non-fiction, because of the rule of cool. On the other hand I think I think dismissing the effort and thought that they put into the narrative as just an effort to sell the gatewatch is just plain wrong (you're mixing up cause and effect, Jace is remade more often because despite protests of a few he is the most popular, they have no vested interest in trying to force the gatewatch crew to be popular).

For instance there could have been a line of thought such as that ugin told jace that they shouldn't try and kill the titans, not that they couldn't. This implies that it might have been even easier to kill the titans premending, but that they didn't because of the consequences of doing so. There is always the common story telling trope thst killing off the big bad guy creates a vacuum to be filled by something even worse.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 08 Jun 2016, 22:28

From here
But we have among our number an animist, capable of shaping Zendikar's leylines directly, without the use of hedrons. Given that—"

"Yes, yes," said Ugin. "It all follows. You could hold them using the glyph, but without the hedrons to bleed off energy and hold the leylines in place, your only options were to let the titans go or pull them fully into physical space and destroy them."

Jace blinked.

"You said that wasn't possible."

"I said it wasn't possible for you," said Ugin. "And you led me to believe you weren't going to try, so spare me your sanctimony."

"Wait," said Nissa. "You knew the titans could be killed? Did you know that when you trapped them here?"

Whether or not the explanation is satisfactory to a given reader, an explanation was given.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 16 Jun 2016, 23:02

Yeah. Ugin said the Eldrazi were like hands in a pond. His thought is that when you cut off the hand, the man might get angry and attack that which has cut off his hand.
It's wntirely possible the full Eldrazi have powers that could just destroy part of the multiverse when they want. Ugin thought imprisonment would be the option with the least risk to the Multiverse.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
MagicAki
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby MagicAki » 19 Nov 2016, 10:02

Drecon wrote:Yeah. Ugin said the Eldrazi were like hands in a pond. His thought is that when you cut off the hand, the man might get angry and attack that which has cut off his hand.

So the Eldrazi are just less-cute Orz?

Orz are not *many bubbles* like *campers*. Orz are just Orz.
I am Orz. I am one with many *fingers*.
What passing bells for these who die as cattle?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”