Predictions for eldritch moon (spoilers?)

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
RadioshackRaider
First Video: Friday Nights: Untap

Re: Predictions for eldritch moon (spoilers?)

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Jun 2016, 17:49

My reasoning behind 3 and 3 is I don't really care about Melding the two Hanweir cards but being able to do so would be cool every once in a while. The card draw is super important though as I gas out very quickly.

Ulrich being the only true Were in this set makes me sad. I still think we'll see some more though. They start as Weres and turn into Eldrazi, a la the Fiberous Entangler that we've heard of.
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 28 Jun 2016, 17:52

I know we'll get a few. From what I've seen of them, I don't really like the 'corrupted' werewolves. I was hoping we'd at least get a few more regular ones. I guess the only thing I can really hold out hope for now is some wolfir or normal wolves to help push the tribal, as I doubt eldrazi-focused ones will do so.
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 28 Jun 2016, 18:05

I really liked he Wolfir, and the fact that there's only 3 annoys me. I reallly, really want reprints of Immerwolf and Moonmist. And not just because I need an Immerwolf
demiteddybear
First Video: Unskippable

Postby demiteddybear » 30 Jun 2016, 03:23

Hahahahaha, use a soul separator on a dead tree of perdition....

Whoooo! I'm a flying tree ghost! Although hilarity of that image aside would be pretty good. Get a triskidekaphobia and a tree of perdition, ofcourse they will try and kill the tree or you win. So they kill it and you then put down a soul separator, end of their turn you sacrificing the separator and make your flying tree ghost and mega defending zombie. Beginning of your turn while the triskidekaphobia trigger is on the stack you tap the tree spirit to make their life total 1, then you choose each player loses 1 life.

So on LRRs spoiler card, harmless offering, the assumption is that there will be atleast one card printed that will have some huge downside. What currently would work with it though?
Demonic pact seems obvious although it is leaving standard in the fall. A mindwrack demon if your opponent doesn't have delirium, that seems precarious at best. Gold knight castigator; this feels like a strong choice if you're playing with some burn or have creatures with evasion.
Atifexe
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Atifexe » 04 Jul 2016, 05:48

Some of these cards are really exciting for me. I love the flavor of Triskatree and of Providence, though I'm not sure where the latter fits. It costs as much as Resolute Archangel, yet sets your life to a specific (flavorful) number as opposed to whatever your starting total was. It also isn't a creature. I don't think it has a place in commander, despite being commander-costed, and I can't see a seven-mana sorcery that doesn't win the game playing much of a role in other formats. Maybe it's good in limited?

The Grafwidow, though... Ho-boy, am I excited by the possibility of a spider commander deck. I think that's where this card is destined to go, though I suppose there's some possibility for a Spider Spawning/self-mill deck that runs it.

And then there's Summary Dismissal. With that and Unsubstantiate, I feel like Wizards might be trying to give some tools against Abrupt Decay. I know little about modern aside from some PT coverage replays that I've seen, do this is just an uneducated guess, and it came up constantly, from what I saw.

At any rate, some very exciting stuff! I don't want to have to wait another week and a bit too get my hands on these cards at the prerelease.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 04 Jul 2016, 23:20

Regarding Harmless Offering, I doubt WotC would print an obvious combo match for it in this set, they're usually more careful than to give us connecting puzzle pieces all at once.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 05 Jul 2016, 17:32

Goldnight Castigator + Harmless Offering + burn
RadioshackRaider

Postby RadioshackRaider » 08 Jul 2016, 14:45

So the Thraben Purebloods have turned into Literal Actual Bad Dogs with Thraben Foulbloods, which are funnily enough, pretty decent. a 3/2 for 3 that gets +1 and Menace with Delirium seems really good.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 09 Jul 2016, 03:10

Things that caught my eye from the full spoiler:

Grapple with the Past: I loved Corpse Churn in standard, with so many utility creatures - it was basically a black Anticipate with upside for tempo and midrange decks. Interested to see what green can do with a (slightly) better version.

Eldritch Evolution / Coax from the Blind Eternities: fetches all of the Brood Monitor + Eldrazi Displacer + Flayer Drone combo.

Nahiri's Wrath: burn players love mathematics, and this one opens up an enormous realm of possibilities.

Graf Harvest / Cryptbreaker: token-generating engines and one-drops that have a substantial effect on the game for the zombie decks.

Spirit of the Hunt: instant-speed board presence is great for getting stuff transformed, and Languish-protection for puppies.

Mausoleum Wanderer / Spell Queller / Nebelgast Herald: I've been playing mostly spirits in standard so far this season - the deck was already extremely fun, and we're now ridiculously spoiled for choice on the number of shenanigans possible with ghosts.

Grim Flayer: gets to delirium all by himself, also sets up your draws every turn, also is insane. Makes me want to play irresponsibly aggressive b/g delirium - like, Hangarback Walker for x=0 just for the delirium kind of irresponsible.

Permeating Mass: just yes.

Lone Rider: gaining 3 life is not that difficult in the right constructed deck, this guy feels like exactly the kind of early-game threat that that deck wants.

Wharf Infiltrator: built-around, is a very good token generator, low-costed, could get out of hand very quickly. One of the cards I'm definitely wanting to try and make work in standard.

Elder Deep-Fiend: play a three-drop creature on turn 3, and this guy can come out on turn 4 - locking your opponent out for a turn, and giving you a 5/6. Seems kind of amazing.

Geier Reach Sanitarium: an upgrade on Mikokoro for Notion Thief / Spirit of the Labyrinth shenanigans.

Field Creeper: such cool art for a card that does nothing, still going to try and work it into my haunted house commander deck.

Otherworldly Outburst: a 3/2 with upside for one mana, that's also pauper-legal.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”