Magic card or metal band? Why not both?

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
chetoos
First Video: The Job

Magic card or metal band? Why not both?

Postby chetoos » 15 Jul 2016, 11:04

So we've all heard the various jokes in LRR about "Magic card or Metal Band", I think it's time to make metal band names into Magic cards. So, the way this forum game is going to work, you take the band name from the previous post and design a card around it, then suggest another band name for a card to be designed around, or you can take a previously designed card and adjust it, but leave the new band name off. Up to you :)

We're gonna start off with an easy one: Dragonforce.
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
square1
First Video: Unskippable: The Saboteur

Re: Magic card or metal band? Why not both?

Postby square1 » 15 Jul 2016, 14:05

I'll bite :D

Wasn't sure if you wanted silly/serious card design, so just made something fun for Commander :)

I'm kind of curious what someone will come up with for: "Tool"
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 15 Jul 2016, 14:21

I'm gonna break my own rule and do both options, mostly to do some templating on the card to get it up to the current rules stuff. The first ability should only trigger on a dragon creature, because if someone plays a second dragonforce, it'd try to find its power, which would admittedly be 0, but still, and the second ability should probably be templated like this:

Sacrifice Dragonforce: return a dragon creature card or Sarkhan planeswalker card from your graveyard to your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery and only if you control no dragons.

As for Tool...

Next band to build a card from I'm gonna say is Blind Guardian
My Youtube Channel. Currently, I have a daily series where I play games that I like. Right now, it's Double Dragon Advance. I also have a weekly series where I play as the Archenemy from Duels 2012
Ladsworld
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Ladsworld » 22 Jul 2016, 18:02

I'll bite: http://imgur.com/a/aF9H7
Common flier for limited with a nice ETB effect. Not exciting, but seems like something what would get printed.

I want to see what you come up with for Crush 40.
Chat Name: DrChillbrain
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jul 2016, 18:16

I don't know much about metal... So...

Try... "As I Lay Dying"
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 22 Jul 2016, 22:09

Are we going for theoretically balanced cards? (I'm definitely not the best developer, but destroying creatures, artifacts, _or_ enchantments for 4 generic mana is insane. Destroying all is just silly.) Anyway, going to derp around at the first few for now. (I have no idea what is 'expected', but I'm making myself design more theoretical cards when I can, so you can deal with it. :D) Also, it's late, so the random feedback I'm giving isn't meant to be 'truth', but just my initial reactions (I'm curious on whether they make sense to the respective creators).

Dragonforce:
@chetoos, That's _very much_ functional change that changes a triggered ability (resulting in restrictions) to an activated one (lots of freedom and not forced to do so when your last dragon dies).

@square1, That said, it should definitely be 'if you control no Dragon creatures', because currently the Dragonforce keeps itself alive.

"""
Dragonforce RRR
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 4/4 Dragon creature token with Flying and Haste onto the battlefield, then sacrifice a non-Dragon creature for each Dragon you control.
Whenever you control no Dragons, sacrifice Dragonforce.
"""

------------------------------------------------------------------
Tool:
@chetoos, It seems a bit too universal; it's a tool, not a sonic screwdriver. ;)

"""
Tool 1
Artifact -- Equipment
Equip 1
Equipped creature has "T: Add C to your man pool. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells."
"""

Blind Guardian:
@Ladsworld, A good simple design, but it doesn't immediately resonate with the name for me.
"""
Blind Guardian 3
Creature -- Construct
Defender
Whenever a creature attacks, defending player gains control of Blind Guardian.
3/5
"""
Crush 40:
@AdmiralMemo, As I touched on earlier, the card is extremely problematic development wise. (Also, _black_ doesn't really get artifact or enchantment removal, let alone giving it to any deck regardless of color - phyrexian mana OP.) That said, I like how you handled the name. ^^

Memo's could be tweaked by just making it something similar to Dismember.

Ugh, the name is just... *ponders* so if we don't use Memo's trick... It sounds like an Un-card's name... XD (I'll come back to this one
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 22 Jul 2016, 22:34

Alrighty, let's try As I Lay Dying...

"""
As I Lay Dying 1BB
Enchantment
If a nontoken creature you control would die, exile it instead. If you do, each opponent loses 1 life.
"""

Okay, let's go with a fun one: "Crimson Glory"
Last edited by SixFootTurkey on 22 Jul 2016, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 22 Jul 2016, 22:40

I tried 40 generic mana, but the card creation system wasn't having it.

Ladsworld
First Video: Friday Nights

Postby Ladsworld » 24 Jul 2016, 17:40

AdmiralMemo wrote:I tried 40 generic mana, but the card creation system wasn't having it.

Use http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/. It's a great program.
Chat Name: DrChillbrain
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 24 Jul 2016, 19:25

I have that on my Windows box, but I was just using my Linux box for a quick maker, so MtGCardSmith it was!

chetoos

Postby chetoos » 02 Aug 2016, 14:48

SixFootTurkey wrote:Alrighty, let's try As I Lay Dying...

"""
As I Lay Dying 1BB
Enchantment
If a nontoken creature you control would die, exile it instead. If you do, each opponent loses 1 life.
"""

Okay, let's go with a fun one: "Crimson Glory"

Crimson Glory 2RR
Enchantment
At the end of each combat, put a strife counter on this card for each creature your opponent's control that died during this combat, then remove a strife counter from this card for each creature you control that died this combat.
At the beginning of each combat, remove all strife counters from this card. Creatures you control get +1/+0 for each strife counter removed this way.
War has glory, but only for those who already find it glorious
I went back and forth on how to template this, but then decided that counters were the easiest way to deal with it.
Let's not just do metal bands, mostly because I'm afraid to run out of the ones on my ipod, so I'm open to album names and song names, but for now, still band names: Dream Theater.
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 02 Aug 2016, 15:39

Dream Theater 7UR
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, exile the top card of that player's library face down. You may look at cards exiled this way. As long as it's not your turn, you may cast spells exiled with Dream Theater as though they had flash.

This is what I think about in name and in mechanic when I think about Dream Theater. Actually I wanted to make it much cheaper and have the same effect happen when you cast spells, but couldn't figure out the templating for multiplayer.

An easy band name: The End.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 02 Aug 2016, 15:59

fantôme wrote:Dream Theater 7UR
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, exile the top card of that player's library face down. You may look at cards exiled this way. As long as it's not your turn, you may cast spells exiled with Dream Theater as though they had flash.

This is what I think about in name and in mechanic when I think about Dream Theater. Actually I wanted to make it much cheaper and have the same effect happen when you cast spells, but couldn't figure out the templating for multiplayer.

An easy band name: The End.

Target opponent? Just a suggestion :P
As for the end...
The End 4BBB
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Horror
When The End enters the battlefield, set each players lifetotal to their starting life total. After this ability resolves, players can't gain life until The End leaves the battlefield.
Flying, Trample, Deathtouch
At the beginning of your upkeep, put an end counter on The End, then each players loses life equal to the number of end counters on The End.
Whenever a player loses the game, put 5 end counters on The End.
Players can't cast spells with the same name as this creature.
8/8
Maybe a bit much text, but I wanted to avoid the idea of it being an enchantment or non-permanent spell, since I figured that would be boring.

For my next request, I'm going to put out the first song name: Shudder before the beautiful.
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 02 Aug 2016, 18:32

Shudder Before the Beautiful
3UB
Sorcery
Choose a creature you control, then tap up to X target creatures and target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the chosen creature's converted mana cost.
"Yes... tremble. You are unfit to gaze upon such perfection."

I like this design, but I don't care much for the templating. I really want the tap clause and debuff clauses separate, but then it messes it up further.

Song name: War Pigs
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 10 Aug 2016, 10:56

Artirian_Legacy wrote:Shudder Before the Beautiful
3UB
Sorcery
Choose a creature you control, then tap up to X target creatures and target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the chosen creature's converted mana cost.

I'm gonna take my time to go over this design, going more based on the lyrics of the song.
Shudder before the beautiful 4GU
Enchantment
Whenever you draw a card, put a verse counter on target creature
GU, remove 2 verse counters from among creatures you control: draw a card
4GU, sacrifice a creature you control: Search your library for a creature card with CMC X or less, where X is the number of verse counters on the sacrificed creature. Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
I had 2 more activated abilities in here, but they took up a lot of room.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 10 Aug 2016, 14:38

Artirian_Legacy wrote:Shudder Before the Beautiful
3UB
Sorcery

I like this design, but I don't care much for the templating. I really want the tap clause and debuff clauses separate, but then it messes it up further.

Templating doesn't really work, since you can't choose something on resolution and have it matter for # of targets on cast.

It's possible adding a static ability would fix it:

"""
~ 3UB
Sorcery

As you cast ~, choose a creature you control.

Tap up to X target creatures and target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the chosen creature's converted mana cost.
"""

Alternatively, you might be able to do 'where X is the highest (or lowest?) CMC among creatures you controlled as you cast ~.'
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 10 Aug 2016, 14:43

chetoos wrote:I'm gonna take my time to go over this design, going more based on the lyrics of the song.
Enchantment
4GU, sacrifice a creature you control: Search your library for a creature card with CMC X or less, where X is the number of verse counters on the sacrificed creature. Put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Oh god, this card basically reads: 'If you would draw a card you may pay GU. If you do, draw two cards instead.' It does have a moderate mana commitment up front, but still...
Artirian_Legacy
First Video: Friday Nights- Untap

Postby Artirian_Legacy » 10 Aug 2016, 15:13

SixFootTurkey wrote:Templating doesn't really work, since you can't choose something on resolution and have it matter for # of targets on cast.

Yeah I don't know why I thought the "then" clause was appropriate. Your suggested fix is exactly what I was looking for.
"What's wrong--are you afraid of me? Don't worry, I promise no one else will hear your screams."
-Tayan Ondir
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 11 Aug 2016, 04:24

SixFootTurkey wrote:
chetoos wrote:I'm gonna take my time to go over this design, going more based on the lyrics of the song.
Enchantment

Oh god, this card basically reads: 'If you would draw a card you may pay GU. If you do, draw two cards instead.' It does have a moderate mana commitment up front, but still...

Originally I was going for 2 abilities, one G and one U to either put a +1/+1 counter or freeze something? Also, you need 2 counters to draw the extra card, so it's not exactly like that.
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 11 Aug 2016, 16:31

Each card drawn from the ability will add a counter, counting for half of the next draw.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 11 Aug 2016, 16:41

SixFootTurkey wrote:Each card drawn from the ability will add a counter, counting for half of the next draw.

Enchantment
GU, remove 2 verse counters from among creatures you control: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature, then tap another target creature. The second creature doesn't untap during its controllers next untap step.
Does that seem better?
Edit: I'm also gonna do war pigs

War Pigs 3RR
Creature - Boar
Haste, Trample
War Pigs attacks each combat if able
Whenever War Pigs attacks, it deals damage to target attacking creature equal to the number of attacking creatures.
Whenever War Pigs attacks for the first time in a turn, untap all attacking creatures. After this phase, there is another combat phase.
6/6
Power/toughness can be adjusted, but what I'm going for is militaristic and warmongering, but ultimately self damaging and rushing in where they likely shouldn't.
And since I really like Nightwish, the next card I'm going to request is called "Endless forms most Beautiful"
SixFootTurkey

Postby SixFootTurkey » 12 Aug 2016, 04:03

Slight tweak to the wording of Shudder: "Put a +1/+ counter on target creature. Tap another target creature, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.'

My initial concern with the pigs, is you can easily dump the damage on a token or other 1/1 that you are using as a sponge. Also, attacking with just it pretty much entirely negates the downsides of it; you get a 6/5 haste trample for 5 that gives you more information when you attack with the rest of your creatures.
chetoos

Postby chetoos » 12 Aug 2016, 04:20

Alright, what about a 6 mana 7/2 with haste and trample, and instead of the third ability dealing x to 1, it deals 1 to each attacking creature?

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”