New (old?) Standard Rotation

A place to talk about standard, casual, limited and everything in between.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

New (old?) Standard Rotation

Postby Booster » 19 Oct 2016, 10:03

For those who haven't seen
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2016-10-19

Don't get me wrong, I am glad this change has occurred but was the twice yearly rotation actually the problem? Shadows and moon are rotating at exactly the same time that they were going to under the twice yearly rotation. This change only effects every other block. What if we still rotated twice a year, but just pushed things back. Have nothing rotate with Amonkhet, then go back to one block in one block out. Then the large set of each block would be in play for 24 months.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Re: New (old?) Standard Rotation

Postby SixFootTurkey » 19 Oct 2016, 18:32

What it was before:

Every year when the fall set releases, four sets rotate out (the oldest block plus its core set), one set rotates in.

Now:

Every Fall/Spring, one block (two sets) rotates out, the first set of the next block rotates in.

So it goes from a five set swing, to a three set swing. It also happens twice a year, so the format gets a shakeup more frequently, and is less likely (ideally) to be 'solved' or 'stale'.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Oct 2016, 19:26

Turkey: You didn't read the link, though, did you? They switched it back to fall set making 4 sets rotate out again.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 19 Oct 2016, 19:32

SixFootTurkey wrote:What it was before:

Every year when the fall set releases, four sets rotate out (the oldest block plus its core set), one set rotates in.

Now:

Every Fall/Spring, one block (two sets) rotates out, the first set of the next block rotates in.

So it goes from a five set swing, to a three set swing. It also happens twice a year, so the format gets a shakeup more frequently, and is less likely (ideally) to be 'solved' or 'stale'.

Actually, now it's back to what it was before. The announcement is that, effective immediately, we're going back to the old method of rotation. Fall sets will be when rotation happens and it will be the oldest four sets in standard.

Personally, it doesn't effect me. But it feels like a rushed move. Kind of weird too given how much early support the change seemed to have. Though that might have been the two-set system we got.

The only different rotation we got to experience with the now defunct rotation system was DTK, ORI, BFZ block, and SOI block. Everything but SOI seems really poor for mixing with the quicker rotation. It seems like attendance would have been awful even without the change to rotation that happened. We went from super expensive four-color good stuff decks (which we would have had for an extra six months had it not been for the change) to a meta dominated by Collected Company.
Phi
First Video: Impersonal Information

Postby Phi » 20 Oct 2016, 05:04

I stopped playing standard not too while ago because it was too expensive for me regardless of the rotation change. This new change won't bring me back, but I do think it is a good change. A steady block-by-block rotation had the problems of key cards of decks being constantly replaced and as a result, some decks could just stop being viable after a single rotation, which means players have to pay more to get a new deck in order to keep playing.

Apart from that, it is nice to see Wizard admitting their mistake fairly early.
Booster
First Video: Checkpoint- Episode 1

Postby Booster » 20 Oct 2016, 07:53

Phi wrote:Apart from that, it is nice to see Wizard admitting their mistake fairly early.

If nothing else, THIS is huge. Wizards works so far ahead it can be very difficult for them to adapt quickly. Even if you don't care about standard rotation at all, this is great news just from that standpoint.
SixFootTurkey
First Video: PAX Prime '12 panel (recorded)

Postby SixFootTurkey » 21 Oct 2016, 10:44

Huh - skimmed it - apparently I did a bad job. Will read it more thoroughly, first time hearing of this.

Return to “Magic: The Gathering”