Describe your last tabletop session

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Describe your last tabletop session

Postby MotorWaffle » 15 Apr 2012, 18:46

Hello all. I've noticed a lot of scattered threads about tabletop RPGs floating around here, and though that people may like to post about what kind of shenanigans that their party had gotten into recently, be they funny, dramatic or otherwise.

I'll go ahead and start.

I'm DM-ing a homebrew RPG based on the Dark Heresy system that takes place in an amalgam universe that combines Star Wars/Trek, Green Lanterns, Harry Potter, etc. etc., the story being that those worlds should NOT exist together, and the party has to undo whatever is pulling them together. So this last week, our Wookie padawan, Ewok Star Fleet cadet, and 6th year Hogwarts student had to infiltrate Team Rocket, which led to arms being ripped off and having to fight a pair Red Gyarados. Our witch immediately failed a spell so hard she obliviated herself, then took a hyper-beam to the face. Through incredible dodge rolls, the Padawan managed to take the two down.
Preacher
First Video: The Job

Re: Describe your last tabletop session

Postby Preacher » 15 Apr 2012, 18:59

Playing D&D 3.5. My unfortunatley Lawful Good Cleric/Paladin comes across a Chaotic Evil cleric. Naturally we decide to mess with him through the campagin. Shennanigans pulled included the Wizard altering himself into his shape and doing good, my cursing his horse, and the Wizard as the Evil cleric, walking into the local church, that housed all the Clerics of various faiths, and openly mocking the Cleric and his religion. Which we found out after we had mocked and cursed various things of his, was the God of Slaughter....
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
Robert Merlow
First Video: Phailhaus 11

Postby Robert Merlow » 15 Apr 2012, 19:21

If I may, what is your tabletop system based on? What is the system you are using for this? Pathfinder-Based, DnD 3.5, 4.0, GURPS, another unknown system? I always wonder with homebrews.

I'm currently GMing 2 parallel Shadowrun campaigns with the same group. I had it start in San Fransisco, with all sorts of conspiracy and corporate intervention going on. I had the cast of the Mythbusters as the leaders of the Free California Republic, and all the shenanigans that entail from that.

I also have a tendency to create very eccentric NPCs. A Hardcore gay arms dealer who just screams dominant, and a Militia Leader who has an tendency to be extremely dramatic, with fog machines and everything.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby psychopez » 16 Apr 2012, 08:26

This happened Thursday night of PAX East.

Our on-again off-again mini 4e-campaign that started off set in the Feywild when the Feywild book came out but has turned more into Kindgom Hearts: The RPG.

The pixie barbarian is Horatio Crane from CSI:, and he makes my character, an eladrin bard that is sort of like Malcom Reynolds, play a rift when he puts his fey glasses on once a session. We also have a satyr with a Russian accent. In our last session, I piloted our ship, the ship from Treasure Planet that we borrowed from Peter Pan (Aside: The pixie is Tinkerbell's ex-boyfriend, they...didn't get along well. Tink has a dirty mouth) crash landed onto a ghost town of a rock that we called Space Cleveland. Space Cleveland was shaped like an apple core, and was having some weird gravational readings. We went to Space Cleveland's moon, which was actually a space station researching the gravity fields. After clearing the station faking a Klingon attack, we hijacked a Mako and went into the core of Space Cleveland where we fought a hoard of red Angry Birds. (One was a solo, 10 others were minions that would fling themselves at us)

This is a session that happened.
@mhasko
psychopez

Postby psychopez » 16 Apr 2012, 08:33

Then there was the one shot of Dresden Files we ran at PAX saturday night, that I had to leave early to make the LRR panel.

If you've not played Dresden Files, or any FATE game, I suggest giving it a try. It's a lot more story oriented, and a blast to just create the setting, let alone play.

We decided to play in Boston, and did a bunch of world building based on the area. One player played Murphy from the books, another played a half-Chinese/half-Japanese ex-mafio who was one of the new Knights of the Swords, the 3rd played Billy.

The Dresden Files Rules Books are written in character by Billy, Harry, and Bob from the novels. So the game setting was PAX itself, and the player playing Billy said the he was selling copies of his books at one of the booths just next to were we were playing. It was kinda meta.

The long and short of the game was cultists of Cthulthu murdered a score of PAX enforcers in the basement of BCEC, in an attempt to use the casual and constant invoking of the Elder One's name in the game hall to fuel their ritual. This worked, but things went badly.

As a group, we were fine with normal PAX attendees being victims, but when we found out Enforcers were the ones offed...we all took it very personally.

Also, Robert Khoo is as unflappable an NPC in our game as he is in real life.

Storyteller playing Khoo-as-NPC - "Cultists? Again? -beat- I need to make some calls"
@mhasko
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 17 Apr 2012, 02:23

Our last D&D session was a standoff against a long standing nemesis who had taken our treasure. He is a mafia crime boss of a relatively large town. He also stole 9/10th of our treasure.
We fought our way to the top of his tower, with help from dwarves and elves we recruited. Eventually we found the man himself, but at this point our rogue was al out of surges. she went down after her first attack and we had to battle of the crime boss and 4 of his goons. We just went for the killing blow on the boss, as we didn't have the damage output to isolate and capture him. Problem is that we never found out where our treasure was.

And the other problem is that we destroyed and killed parts of the city because some dwarven jack-ass (Dwarf Fighter, hilarious instigator) belayed my orders to stop pouring down oathmeal from a magic bell once they got the towns attention.
I might have to place her under arrest, which I don't want to do, but my character would.
The damage doesn't seem to sit well with the locals, so running the town will be a challenge on its own. :D
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 17 Apr 2012, 03:01

My last RPG session was a CthulhuTech game run by myself that has so much behind the scenes bullshit running that when my players figure it out they'll either praise me or punch me. Most likely the latter. Except that for various reasons it's been almost two months since our last session, and even if they were starting to pick up on the clues littering the game they'll have lost them all by now. Frustrating.
In summary the secret society they were (new) members of has been infiltrated, their cell has been destroyed, and they have been picked up by members of the same enemy faction pretending (poorly) to be from said society. Meanwhile one of the PC's is being stalked by his father, himself a powerful member of the society, who believes the PC killed his sister (the NPC's daughter) as well as now believing the group to be traitors and the reason the cell was destroyed. One of the other PC's decided to take both the Dark Secret and Amnesia drawbacks, basically giving me a carte blanche to fuck with their backstory... so of course they're an enemy sleeper agent.
Anyway, when last we left our heroes they were fighting a sorcerer of great power, far out of their league, that they were specifically told would be an injure and retreat mission due to them being so drastically outclassed. Of course my players are the gung-ho, take-on-all-comers types (though only one of their characters is supposed to be) and I have a feeling that they aren't going to run away until one of them is rolling up a new toon.
ImageImage
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Apr 2012, 03:04

Suspicion.

Ill-will.

Tears.

Recrimination.

Accusations.

Threats.

A brief scuffle.

The end of several friendships.

I tell you, the old 'put a d4 on his chair while he's in the bathroom' gag just doesn't get appreciated nowadays anymore...
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 17 Apr 2012, 11:00

This is the log from my Ravenloft campaign's last session. We've been on hiatus since I've been ill, but should start again soon;

After a harrowing trip through the mists, we arrive at our destination; Maplebury. While Alanya looks after the exhausted Cecilia and helps he recover from her exertions, the others walk onto the village. The first port of call is the local inn; The Wolf’s Den. As Branimir goes to open the door, he hears a heated discussion taking place on the other side. “Don’t worry” says a deep voice, “I have sent for help”. A general murmering with a few shouted comments respond to the statement. It seems the people are not happy with whoever trid to calm them down. " Say that to those who have disappeared!", “You don’t know what to do, don’t you!?!”. Branimir leads the others into the inn and interrupts the ‘discussion’. “I have come to help you”. Brnaimir’s voice cuts through the general hubub and pointed exclamations of the unhappy crowd. “See!” exclaims the man with the deep voice, “Help arrives”. The group look around the room at the faces of the locals. They certainly don’t look happy or convinced by Branimir’s offer of help. The man with the voice steps forward and introduces himself as the Mayor of Maplebury. “Come this way sir” says the Mayor, gesticulating at Branimir and the others towards a room. “We’ll have some quiet to talk in”. The crowd follows the adventurers as they file into the indicated location. A small figure drops off a stool and follows them in, closing the door behind her.

The Mayor introduces Persyus, a Gnome mage. She has some interest in the disappeared. He then turns, dismissing her from the conversation. "You’ve heard of the ‘Whisteling Fiend’? Well, several men have disappeared from the village. All at night and all accompanied by a whisteling sound. We have no idea what is going on but believe the men to be dead. “Neither you nor the meddling old woman”, he indicates Persyus behind him, “need to get too involved in this. Its making things harder for those who have lost loved ones. I suggest you do as little as you can get away with and then leave.”

Outside, by the almost derelict Gipsy caravan, Cecilia recovers some streangth and downs a nice strong cup of tea. “I think you could do with a good meal too Cecilia” indicated Alanya. While waiting they see a steady stream of people leave the inn and make their way to various locations around the village. “Let’s go to the tavern and order up a plate of something nice and filling. It’ll get the glow back into your cheeks” says Alanya as she helps Cecilia up to her feet. They make their way to the Wolf’s Den inn and enter to see the others exiting from a back-room.
Branimir and Darry are with the Landlord, asking him questions about a disappeared man. Alanya and Cecilia sit down on the most ‘comfortable’ seats in the inn. “So where was the Candlemaker last time you saw him?” asked Darry. “Over by the fireplace”. The Landlord strides across the floor to point with his foot at an area next to the gently glowing fire. “It’s warm there and many a drunkard has spent a night by my fire. Normally they are still there in the morning when I come down for breakfast and they help to tidy up.”

Alanya asks the Landlord if he is serving food. She gets a rude response from him and basically gets told to sit down and wait as he is dealing with important matters.

While the questioning continues, Alain retires to a corner of the room and chanting quietly, gesticulates and paces around the room. After a few minutes of this, he informs all and sundry that “No magic residue remains here”. Alanya gets up and inspects the area indicated by the Landlord. She finds nothing of interest. Alanya can’t even confirm that anyone was asleep on the floor. Branimir also stoops down and takes a close look at the area. His eagle eyes spot something that Alanya missed. “Hmmmm. Look. Footprints going towards that window over there”. Pointing at the window, the Witch Finder moves there and finds it easy to open. Looking on the outside, he sees footprinds leading away from the window towards the woods. Running outside, we pick up the trail again and notice that several more sets of footprints join the first set. Also, marks indicating a trailed cloak or dress hem half obscure the marks. Arriving at a drier, rocky surface, the trail is lost.

After a quick chat, two go off to locate the local tracker and Red goes off to find Persyus the Gnome. It will be a couple of hours before the tracker comes back to the village. Persyus returns with Red to the location of the footprints. While they were away, Alanya guesses that the owners of the footprints probably weren’t too worried about being followed. She moves from the place the footprints were last seen, towards the woods and finds where the tracks continue into them. Alain talks with Persyus aout the whistleing, the disappearences and brings up the subject of Werewolves.

While waiting for the tracker to turn up, some of the group go to question the Candlemaker’s wife. She is of not much use, but Alain does notice that the men in this village have little regard for their womenfolk. It seems that, though of good character before arriving at Maplebury, they soon fall into abusive and violent ways. It was also noted that only men have disappeared…so far and that their disappearences are accompanied with a strange whisteling sound.

When the tracker arrives; a young man called Thomas barely into his late teens, the group moves into the woods following the trail. After something close to one hour of following the tracker, the group encounters a ravine. It is about 15 feet wide and very deep with sheer walls. Various ideas are put forward to cross it. The most dangerous one is settled on as this is potentially also the fastest way across. We volunteer Thomas to tie a rope about his body and to try to jump across. He’s happy to try but when he does so, he makes an abysmal attempt. Barely 3 feet over the ravine and he falls, swinging on the rope into the face of the sheer side below. Having all held onto the end of the rope, we haul him up and find that Thomas has a broken leg. We set and splint the broken member and decide to abandon our task to get Thomas back to the village and proper medical care.

We change our plans as it is now too late in the day to return to the ravine. We set watch around the village overnight in the hope of spotting the whistleing creature as it takes another victim.

During the night, Alanya is alerted to two men in robes walking out of the woods and towards the inn. At the door, the Landlord emerges and accepting a third robe from the men, dons it and walks off into the wood with them. Alanya runs off to tell Branimir, who also saw the situation taking place. Collecting the group together, the others are told of the happenings and the group move off into the woods, following the general direction of the men.
Keeping far enough behind the cloaked men, they are followed until they get to the ravine. Alanya notices one of the men bend down and fiddle with what looks like a rock at the side of the ravine. Suddenly movement is discerned in the ravine and the group sees a bridge appear. The men cross the bridge which then proceeds to disappear into the gloom. The group waits a few moments to make sure the men have gone and then proceed to the place where thet were standing. Alanya notices a curious rock with several indentations. She’s sure this is what the man was fiddling with before the bridge appeared. She places her fingers into the small hollows on the rock and realises that it’s some kinde of coded lock system. She starts to press the indentations in order…4…3….2….1. Indentations 3 and 4 caused a clicking noise, but no bridge appears. "OK. I think 3 and 4 are part of the code. Let me try 4….3….1…2. All positions click and the rock rotates clockwise. The code is repeated; 4…3…1…2. The rock rotates back anticlockwise. “Hmmmm. There must be further codes after the first one. Let’s see”. 4…3…1…2…rotate clockwise, 2…1…3….4. The rock rotates further clockwise. Still no bridge. Alanya tries 4…3…1…2. again. The rock turns anticlockwise. “Damn!” she exclaims under her breath. 2..1..3…4 and the rock rotates back to its original position. “3rd time lucky” she says quietly. 4…3…1…2 rotate clockwise. 2…1…3…4 rotate clockwise again. 1…2…3…4. The rock again rotated clockwise and a soft noise in the dark behind them indicates that the code has been broken. The bridge reforms and allows the group to cross the ravine. On the other side another stone allows the bridge to dismantle itself, leaving the ravine untouched.

The group move off into the night, roughly in the direction the men took. The trail is picked up and after a short while, the trail seems to follow an old delapidated cobbled road. Alain believes this to be a remnant of a long past empire. The group pass old ruined houses and buildings as they follow the trail until one house ahead is seen to have light at its windows.

The group approach carefully and study the lay of the land. Two cloaked men seem to stand guard at the main door, and light spills from the unshuttered windows of the building. Alain moves off into the dark, gesticulating for the rest of the group to stay put. Everyone waist for about half an hour but Alain does not return. Looking at each other the group decide to put an end to this. As a man, they all stand and move forwards to attack the cloaked senturies. As attacks are made with magic and swords, two other cloaked men emerge from the house and join in the fight. Alanya draws one of the men away from his companions and proceeds to put him out of the combat. Magic missiles and Panther spirits help to subdue and deal death to the other guards.

The rest of the campaign can be read at my Obsidian Portal page.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 Apr 2012, 22:25

I've been DMing a three person Shadowrun game. Been fun so far, all players fairly new to pen and paper RPGs, but they're enjoying it immensely.

Started them out with a familiarization round, basically dropped them into a store being robbed by some chumps and let them choose how to handle it. They quite handily dispatched the goons with some good rolls and smart choices, and booked it before the cops arrived, bags laden with snack food and whatnot.

Their first real mission I had them all dead broke and desperate for rent money (two of them are actually squatters at this point they're so broke, but still need cash for food and whatnot), so they head out to a sort of shady temp agency that gives out job info to desperate street punks. They're all crappy jobs, with little pay, but the three manage to swing one that isn't a total waste of time. Only hitch is they have to split the cash, and since the two buddy squatters have yet to really get to know the third, they're a little wary of each other.

They head to meet the job offerer, turns out the owner of a local carpet shop also does some low level smuggling for local fixers, but she had an important shipment of goods stolen when some big punk with a baseball bat hijacked her truck. She only has a day to deliver the goods, and without the truck she can't smuggle OR sell carpets, so she's desperate to get them both back unharmed. Unfortunately, she has no real connections and not much money - she's already offering all of the profit she was gonna make on the shipment as a reward.

Right away the team hits the streets looking for leads. Their minotaur bruiser wants to just start punching the crap out of local thugs until they get lucky and find someone who knows something, but the face and the sneak nix that right off the bat. The sneak, a mall-rat rainbow kaleidoscope of dyed hair and loud 80s clothing with a serious obsession for anything magical or Japanese, shadows a few different groups of punks, but doesn't get much info. The face, a chain-smoking ork conman in a second-hand suit, starts schmoozing for leads in likely bars and crook hangouts, and ends up with some likely suspects.

They check out a donut shop which has been terrorized by the gang they think they're after, and after a little fast-talking and bribing get some info from the wary owner which confirms their suspicions. They head to the proper part of town and fan out to cover more ground. The sneak spots a punk with the signature colors and markings of the gang in question and tails him, sending a commlink message to the face to get his ass over there and for the bruiser to standby for backup.

The face rolls up and aces his etiquitte roll, convincing the ganger that he's no schmoe, he knows what's what, and he was wondering if he might be able to talk to the head honcho about a local business he's been asked to represent. The punk takes a liking to the face, particularly after being bribed with a pack of cigarettes that just so happen to be his prefered brand. He leads him down some narrow alleyways and through some disused buildings, the sneak tailing not far behind, the bruiser trying to keep pace on a parallel street.

The gang's based in a disused foundry, led by a kinda Mad Max style charismatic badass on a junkmetal throne. Guy calls himself Supreme, is real full of himself, kinda acts like The Fonz mixed with Ruby Rodd, but he seems to be unusually principled for being the kind of guy who runs a gang in this part of town. Prides himself on being straight with everyone, being hard but fair. The face gets led inside, plays it cool despite being almost entirely alone in the middle of a dozen armed goons, appeals to Supreme's ego and sense of honor, and strikes a deal for the truck and the shipment, but as the team has no money to barter with, offers to make it worth the gang's while down the road. Supreme considers and accepts - for some reason he likes and trusts the face for being square and upfront with him, and he's figuring he'd rather trade a small payoff now for a big one later.

The sneak slips out cleanly, the face gets escorted back to the streets, and the bruiser (who has compulsion problems) manages to roll well enough not to charge in swinging when he doesn't hear from the face and sneak for longer than is comfortable. They all regroup shortly thereafter and head to a neutral meeting point where the gang drops off the truck and shipment, which the team then drives back to their employer. Mission's wrapped up clean and easy, not a shot fired, and just in time for the shipment's proper owner to show up looking for it as the team drives up. Course the cat's out of the bag then, but he's impressed by the work the runners have done and tells them he himself might have some more work for them soon.

~Alja~
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 27 Apr 2012, 10:42

This party was: Druid, Cleric, Samurai, Ranger. Not sure how many sessions this spanned.

Alright... Starts with the party being poisoned and brought into a town by a traveling merchant. Party gets poison cured and identified (??). It's just shown up, and is used exclusively by some merry band of assassins. Someone does something (I actually forgot) and the clerics of whatever chase us out of town. We flee north.

We find evidence the assassins are either working in (or out of) this new town. Convenient. We have the message pieced back together, and just dick around until the time on the message arrives. The Lord of this new place seems almost distraught at the news, and the magi don't care one way or the other.

We kill some owlbears and sell the eggs, retrieve some lost jewelry, buy some pickaxes (??), and train the guards (we had a samurai and a ranger. Figured one of them knew something the guards didn't).

At the meeting, we find Lord Whatshisname of Whateverville, a wizard (WIZARDS!), and some generic bad dudes. We ambush them, kill most of them, but manage to take Lord Guybrush and a henchman alive. The Wizard escapes.

We bind and gag our two prisoners and send them off back to town with half the party. The other half (the druid and ranger, the sneaky ones) head off into the forest to track the unusually dextrous wizard.

And that's where we disbanded the group. We may or may not go back to that campaign. It all depends on whether or not our DM moves to [LOCATION REDACTED]. (Spoiler Warning: he didn't)

This took place a year ago, so I don't quite remember what happened at each specific session, and (as you can see) I don't even remember what happened in the overall plot. I thought the synopsis was funny, though.

Fun fact: I actually still have the prop we used for the message. I wrote the message on a piece of thick paper, we doused it in coffee, and burned it a bit once it dried.
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 May 2012, 13:58

Game: Castle Falkenstein.
Genre: Spy/Fantasy
Premise: A team of international gentlemen and ladies in the year 18xx travel across Europe to thwart the plans of the Unseelie Fae; a race of beings from beyond reality who desire the destruction of mankind, but are bound by the Second Compact to never declare war on them. And so, they seek instead to corrupt humans into their service, either to try and get humanity to destroy themselves, or to provoke humanity into declaring war on the Unseelie. Their goals? To Uncover the schemes of the Unseelie. To Unravel those plans, rendering them useless to humanity's foes. And then, because they are gentlemen, to Undo any damage they may have caused to any innocents along the way. (The standard line is that if the husband has erred, the wife's reputation should not suffer.)

Last session: Our brave heroes were rushed to England to take over the operation of another cell within their spy ring after that cell was forced to rush to another location. The crew adopted their false identities (so far the contact had been limited to letters and telegrams) to attend a dinner party at Viscount Thurgood's country estate in England. He is strongly suspected of being a corrupted pawn of the Unseelie who has been spreading Unseelie propaganda amongst the English nobility in exchange for his political rivals being driven mad. Their goal was to expose him, but if that proved impossible, assassinate him.

The Knights came to the party, mingled, and discovered some very interesting things about the guests, including that Thurgood had failed in his efforts to bring a potential new ally over to the Unseelie's side and had, in a fit of pique, ordered his sanity obliterated rather than that of his prominent rival, learning that Thurgood's manservant would deliver the instructions to the Unseelie at midnight. Most of the knights followed him (one stayed behind to hopefully provide protection to the new mark) and were discovered, leading to a gunfight around a fairy circle. The manservant got the drop on one of their number seconds before another guest of the house, Leone Bonnet, arrived and shot the manservant dead. She revealed that she was French secret service, and had been here investigating Thurgood herself, suspecting him of being involved in the Unseelie's latest (successful) efforts to provoke Prussia to renewed war. (This also neatly explained the 'emergency' that forced the previous, more experienced, team of Knights away from this case.) She promised to uphold their cover if they upheld hers.

The knights returned back, their key piece of evidence (the manservant) now dead. Their only option was assassination, but at this point they simply needed sleep. They would arrange an 'accident' tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the next morning, they discovered they were too late. At some point in the evening, someone had decided to bash in Thurgood's head with a stone bust. Worse, since they were all engaged in illicit activity last night, none of them had an alibi. And until the murderer is discovered, nobody is going anywhere...
psychopez

Postby psychopez » 07 May 2012, 14:35

The New Marvel RPG.

Friend wanted to try it out, I had never been Watcher before. So it was a solo mission. Was more of a shaky, "Let's play to learn the rules" thing.

He played Wolverine. Wolverine ended up scaring Carnage, and getting through the first mook in 2 attacks. Buddy really liked the Marvel RPG in the end...
@mhasko
vxicepickxv

Postby vxicepickxv » 08 May 2012, 16:49

I'm not even sure when my last session was, or even what it was.

It looks like either 7th Sea or 3.5 is going to be our next game, depending on who the DM is.
Friend:Umm, I saw a cat and started clicking...
Me:You have made an accurate summary of the internet.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 22 May 2012, 14:22

(For the game system, setting, and premise plus the previous session, click here or just scroll up.)

With the Knights now smack in the middle of a murder mystery, they took over the investigation alongside Cedric Johnson, a British industrialist and complete, total incompetent blowhard. They began by examining the body found in the library, his head dashed by a bust of Hypnos. They immediately noticed one odd thing; too little blood. The body had been moved, they were convinced.

The first suspect? David Donald Ruskin (nicknamed Deedee) who was conspicuously absent, along with an assassin's knife and a note indicating vengeful desire found in his room. That suspicion ended when they found he'd been driven insane; their successful interception of the messenger of the earl's last session mean the instructions to drive another guest (Named Chadwick) insane, rather than Ruskin, never went through. While most of the players believed this made him a powerful suspect, one of my players correctly observed that the murder was a brutal, but clinical affair: One solid hit to the back of the head. Hardly the work of a frothing at the mouth madman. And if it HAD happened prior to his going insane, why not use the knife?

Suspicion then turned to Ruskin's wife, whose behavior had been consistently suspicious, even accounting for her having an illicit affair with Chadwick as a reason for that suspect behavior. These suspicions were fanned when they found in the Earl's room a note hidden within a bedside copy of Arthur Rimbauld's Illuminations suggesting a late night rendezvous between the two in the library. Of course, this created its own problems, which they intuited immediately: They know where Viviette was all night (in Chadwick's room) and they also suspected the body was moved. Interrogating her successfully saw them gain an answer: Yes, the note was her's, she had intended to murder the Earl to protect either her husband or her lover (it was unclear) after discovering his scheme from pilfering some papers from Leone Bonnett, a French secret service agent undercover at the party. (As a tragic irony, she missed a mistake in the paper which meant her savior attempt, had she gone through with it, would not only not have worked anyhow, but would have been too late even if it had worked.) But she chickened out, unable to stomach the idea of murder.

Now running out of ideas, they turned their attention to a final oddity: Cedric Johnson's room had two glasses for brandy in it. Who used the second glass? Was this proof of conspiracy? As it turned out, no. He'd had his own personal liaison was all. But he did, during the discussion, let slip the Earl's hatred of the French. So, the players sensibly asked: Why would a Francophobe be reading a French poet? Suddenly, the puzzle clicked: Viviette made the same mistake they did, assuming the book to be being the husband's bedside reading, not the wife's. The Earlessa found the note intended for her husband, and, outraged by the affair, killed him with a bust in their room. (Indeed, they noted that a bust of Morpheus was decorating their room; and it seemed very likely the gods of Sleep and Dreams were a set.) They confronted the Earlessa, who confessed.

All well and good, but as they left, Leone Bonnett offered to repay them for helping her out of a pickle as well by giving them each some useful intelligence. It was a ruse. When she talked to one of the group alone, her men grabbed her and abducted her... turned out they'd deduced her true identity as a murderess back in France. (Which was in her backstory. Actually, that cliffhanger ending was to write out the player, who is, indeed, heading for France.)
mehall
First Video: I don't remember. It was a long time ago

Postby mehall » 22 May 2012, 14:30

Been playing a fairly young D&D 4e campaign. We just finished the Keep on Shadowfell, hitting L4. We're off to Thunderspire next!

Also just started a custom setting and mostly custom ruleset Cyberpunk game too.

I'm a player n both, though I don't thnk my cyberpunk char will last long. >.<
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 28 May 2012, 18:04

So I started this thread, then kind of forgot about it.
Anyway, in the campaign I mentioned earlier, our team had to board an empirial star destroyer that had managed to take a green lantern core. The team got a Green Lantern as part of the party, and the witch was still out cold from taking a hyper-beam to the face (actually, she couldn't make it, but that was the excuse). After an AWFUL fight with storm troopers that nearly destroyed the group, the Green Lantern (who, by-the-by was a member of Darth Maul's species) was offered a Red Lantern ring, which he took.

They eventually got to the power room, where Darth Vader was flanked by storm troopers. The Ewok Star Fleet man got two critical hits with automatic fire straight into Vader's face, while the Red Lantern made a successful construct with lascannon damage calculations (which he choose to manifest as the screaming head of Sean Connery) and blew the Stormtroopers out of existence.
Gap Filler

Postby Gap Filler » 31 May 2012, 02:48

Wrapped up an Unknown Armies campaign facing down an Angel some feckless yokel had summoned. So I turned into a Katamari and proceeded to roll up the Angel, the yokel, the other members of my party and most of the surrounding landscape before the GM tpk'd us for being silly.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Preacher

Postby Preacher » 31 May 2012, 03:03

Played a Dark Heresy Campagin over the last weekend. We decided to drop a player who was becoming unrelaible, but the problem remained as to what to do with his character. The problem resolved itself after finishing the current mission, we took over a planetary assult crusier by chocking everyone aboard, while we where on board but hey, we had a tech-priest who rolled nothing above 10

After the mission we were on a shopping trip I enquired as to buying some drugs. My character having devopled a habit after walking into a chem lab and snorting everything in sight because of a roll of 99. I was looking for some spook, a psyker drug that manifests minor psychic powers. As it turns out, its 300 thrones a hit, which is a lot for a lvl 2 character, BUT the GM had said if I could figure out a recipe I could whip up a poor mans version.

The recipe was simple. 1 part Rot gut booze, 1 part hallucigenic drugs, but what I needed was a psychic component. At this point I remembered the psyker we were dropping, pulsing with psychic power in his veins. And we had a torture chamber. A few quick cuts and some screaming later, and I had 12 pints of blood, and 15 more hits of spook for 1/10 of the price. Although I took 10 corruption points, which I gladly took. No losers here.
Do you guys mind. I'm trying to write an essay

Its probably not a good thing I feel the need to put a disclaimer after everything I say

This is a thing my and my friend run.
JackSlack

Postby JackSlack » 31 May 2012, 13:42

Gap Filler wrote:Wrapped up an Unknown Armies campaign facing down an Angel some feckless yokel had summoned. So I turned into a Katamari and proceeded to roll up the Angel, the yokel, the other members of my party and most of the surrounding landscape before the GM tpk'd us for being silly.

Nice.
Jebus90
First Video: Bandwitdh Exceeded

Postby Jebus90 » 13 Jun 2012, 10:01

Me and my friend only started playing D&D recently and the others in our usual group were busy last weekend. So instead we started a spin off buddy-cop-esque style adventure. (Including mustaches).

We started the adventure by going to the local tavern and getting drunk.....

There may have been an incident with a wolf, alcohol and flint....

And at one stage I had no clothes on.

All in all a successful run, as we returned (with most of our limbs) to the pub in the end.
RedNightmare

Postby RedNightmare » 10 Jul 2012, 09:47

I just had the very last session of my 2,5 year lasting Eberron campaign. After the hardest combat in the entire campaign (I didn't set out to do it, but it felt right) they stood triumphant. They took so long however, that all their friends that were fighting to buy them time had died. Eventually they decided to use their reviving water to restore one of these NPC's instead of a previous PC, which I found really cool.
We then had a epilogue for each character. 1 was rather dark, as he considered his job in this world done and committed suicide in a large firaball explosion.
"I wouldn't call myself an evil genius. Simply genius will suffice."

http://www.twitch.tv/rednightmare7

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 10 Jul 2012, 11:30

Final sessions can be brutally difficult to pull off, so congratulations on running a successful one (not to mention a successful long term campaign)!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 10 Jul 2012, 12:56

We met in a Tavern, the dwarf got drunk spooned the ranger. Eventually we started on our quest by heading to some nearby caves, the dwarf failed his check to see if the obvious cave was indeed a cave.

With that success behind us, we decided to camp in the entrance to the cave until the dwarf had sobered up, it was at this point that we realised that most of us had forgotten to bring rations etc.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 27 Jul 2012, 14:19

Our sorcerer's hawk followed this guy we were chasing into a forest and forewarned us of an impending ambush. I, as the party's rogue, attempt to stealth kill the ambushers with our druid's wolf in tow while the rest of the party create a diversion on the forest path. As I go in to try to slit the first guys throat, I crit fumble and draw his attention to me....

Thanks in part to some pretty poor rolls on the DMs part I manage to bluff my way out of it. The end result? The dude I tried to kill believes me to be a god (a fact I played upon after he asked me if I were one), runs out into the path, kneels at the feet of our barbarian, pledges his loyalty to him, promptly kills a dude who jumped our cleric and is ultimately killed by our barbarian after he runs over to me when I emerge from the forest again.

Moral of the story? If you're going to con someone into believing you're a god, make sure you tell them 1) That you're using this mortal form as an avatar and 2) To act like they don't know you next time they see you so as not to blow your cover.

It was a night full of lols to be sure...
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”