GMing tips?

Share your latest adventures with anything tabletop: RPGs, boardgames, miniatures, etc.
ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

GMing tips?

Postby ocelotteranian » 07 Jun 2013, 12:34

Howdy!

So, this summer, I am GMing for the first time in my life. I've done lots and lots of tabletop roleplaying, but I've never held the reins before. I was wondering if anyone out there had some tips for how to run a campaign right?

For reference: I'm leading a game of Mouse Guard, which for those who don't know, is a variation on Burning Wheel where you play as mice. It's Redwallesque, and very character-focused. You can find out more about it here: http://www.mouseguard.net/books/role-playing-game/

BUT! I would welcome advice from GMs of any format!

Thanks!
Bergie
First Video: Man Cooking: Meatshroom

Re: GMing tips?

Postby Bergie » 07 Jun 2013, 20:52

My first rule: Make sure the players have fun. Don't take this to mean giving them free rein to do what ever they want, but don't go out of your way to antagonize them. Don't make creatures expressly to kill them and show how awesome you are, but have them face enemies which both play to their strengths and weaknesses.
ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 07 Jun 2013, 21:10

Ah, thank you, Bergie! Would you mind expanding some on what you mean by strengths and weaknesses? Are you talking more about character traits or the dice-rolly skill number type strengths/weaknesses? (I mean, ideally, those overlap a fair amount, but there is still some difference between the numbers and the role being played.)
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 07 Jun 2013, 21:11

And make sure you can roll with your group's style. Some groups (and games) will be more high stakes danger, while others more epic adventure, and others more mystery and puzzles. Knowing what your group wants is very important. And playing to your strengths, too; if you know you're not very good at planning puzzles, don't try, but if you're good at making things up on the fly, make the best use of that you can.
ElFuzzy
First Video: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby ElFuzzy » 07 Jun 2013, 21:17

GM whilst suspended upside down and getting out of a straight jacket. should make things more interesting by default. that or add in jetpacks
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Jun 2013, 21:18

As for strengths and weaknesses, I think it's important to take into account a number of things. Do your players like puzzles, role playing or fighting? Is there something to do for each character's dominant skill? Is there something that will challenge each person's style / concept / etc?
ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 07 Jun 2013, 21:57

ElFuzzy wrote:GM whilst suspended upside down and getting out of a straight jacket. should make things more interesting by default. that or add in jetpacks

...That is one thing to do. What about playing in a spaceship orbiting the Earth? Same great "not on the ground" feeling, half the blood rushes.

And Duckay, these are wonderful replies. A lot to think about, oh boy oh boy. I actually haven't done enough thinking about the players versus the characters, I realize. There's a ton of dimensions to GMing...
ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 07 Jun 2013, 21:58

Oh, also, @Duckay: YOU HAVE THE CUTEST AVATAR. Auuuuugh. Fluffy babies! [/squeals of joy]
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 07 Jun 2013, 22:28

To elaborate a bit on Duckay's advice; consider multiple paths or solutions, each tailored to a style of play. So if it turns out your players like combat, there is a way to win, but it has a fight involved. (Though it may not be the OBVIOUS fight.) If they like the social game, there's a guy they can bribe. Puzzle solving? There is a stealthy way through the maze of sewers below, but they'll need to get their mapping skills going. The nice trick about multiple solutions also is that any one of them can be overly tough by accident, since if it is, they'll find another solution.
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 07 Jun 2013, 22:28

I come from GMing horror games, so I'm not sure I can give you much more specific advice. But I have one more thing: don't fret about it too much! Your first attempt at a game will probably have at least one moment of "oh god, I didn't even think of that". That's okay.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 07 Jun 2013, 23:13

While some people don't like this idea, keep in mind that all die rolls are merely suggestions. If you think literally following the results of the dice will kill the fun, then fudge them a bit.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 08 Jun 2013, 15:25

This is a bit abstract, and comes from a player's -- not a GM's -- perspective, but you know the stories of amazing sessions that everyone has, and talks about weeks afterwards? The GM's job in a game is to facilitate those. This is not to say that the GM shouldn't have fun; just that the GM needs to make sure that his fun isn't at the expense of his players' fun.

Also, MG's above post is spot-on. I remember once rolling critical hit, then critical miss in succession; the GM ran with it and made the resulting interaction probably one of the silliest and greatest moments I've ever had in D&D.
ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 09 Jun 2013, 10:43

Thanks, guys! This is all very solid advice. I'm hoping to be a bit heavy on the puzzles and social situations end of gameplay—combat is something that doesn't personally interest me as much, but now I'm thinking I should take care to present more combat solutions in case my players feel differently. I did my best to pick friends who I thought had similar rp tastes to mine, but I love the idea of crafting various ways to get through a situation. Now that I think about it, I think the best games I've had as a player are the ones where the GM has left the options open.

For you other GMs, I was also wondering what parts of your game plan you brought into the session? Do you keep notes near you? Or a computer? I can never tell if having the computer out seems rude. (I was gonna keep my tablet handy for musical cues, but that's not as useful a machine for making notes, keeping track of stuff, etc.)
Duckay

Postby Duckay » 09 Jun 2013, 15:02

I think sometimes it's useful to have a barrier between you and the players, so they can't see your dice rolls. But maybe that comes from horror GMing more than any other genre.

I used a tablet for my last game, propped up on an angle rather than lying flat on the table, and it worked well.
ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 09 Jun 2013, 15:24

Haha, yeah, I would think in the horror genre more than any other you need to keep secrets. Propping my tablet up may just be the trick; I actually have a bluetooth keyboard that I believe can function as a stand.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 09 Jun 2013, 18:52

I like the tablet idea, because it can be propped up or dropped easily as required.

My advice as well? The volume of dice roll fudging should match the brutality of the genre. In horror? Never hide a damn roll. In fantasy? Do it. Fantasy bends to fate, horror cares not one whit if its protagonists die or not.
ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 09 Jun 2013, 21:27

Ah, good point. This game is meant to be more... well, I wanna call it fantasy. There are mice with tiny capes and swords and weasels with chain mail. But there isn't magic as far as I can tell... which isn't to say all fantasy has magic, because some phenomenal worlds don't, but I feel like it's so expected in fantasy, RPG or otherwise, that magic's absence ought to be mentioned.

The Mouse Guard world is really heavily based on Anglo-Saxon England (or Anglaland, as it was called at the time) so I want a fair bit of brutality. But yes, the goal is for the protagonists to live long enough to accomplish their goals! So I guess I've got a fine line to walk.
dai_panda
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby dai_panda » 10 Jun 2013, 03:27

Mouse Guard eh? Good, good choice. It's pretty easy to GM/DM/Acronym too.
I find I will just offer a few general pointers as I'm not entirely and, hopefully either of them help:

1: Decide on a tone early and try to keep it. Not to say you can't break up a dark and serious campaign with levity, or a lighthearted romp with some drama, but consistency is usually the best way of keeping your players interested.

2: Don't be afraid to budge the rules a few times. They aren't set in stone and it's usually best to make a quick house-rule for something if it means everyone get's to keep having fun, instead of spending hours arguing how a given rule should or should not be interpreted.

3: Similarly: don't let the players overrule you. If someone starts either lore-lawyer or rules-lawyer you, put your foot down and tell them it works that way now unless you've made an actually-serious mistake with a particular rule. Then it can be best to just mea culpa and move on.
Not so much when the lore-lawyer shows up though. I don't think you see this as much in Mouse Guard as you do with Vampire or Forgotten Realms though but, be clear that you are telling your story.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jun 2013, 04:06

When in doubt, a wizard did it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
dai_panda

Postby dai_panda » 10 Jun 2013, 04:08

Also that, yes.
"Shut up, it's magic" works suprisingly well.
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 10 Jun 2013, 06:19

Don't be afraid to roll with what the players want to do either. You may have some epic plot worked out, but it's your job to entice them to follow that, not force them. This may just be me though, I like presenting a location and some clues and asking them what they want to do next. If you're running more if a straight dungeon crawl then you've got a bit more leeway in railroading them.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 10 Jun 2013, 08:06

Taking notes about a session is a good idea. You can use those to build on the story for the next session.
dai_panda

Postby dai_panda » 10 Jun 2013, 08:14

elvor wrote:Don't be afraid to roll with what the players want to do either. You may have some epic plot worked out, but it's your job to entice them to follow that, not force them. This may just be me though, I like presenting a location and some clues and asking them what they want to do next. If you're running more if a straight dungeon crawl then you've got a bit more leeway in railroading them.

Nah, I'm with you on that actually.
The way I tend to do it is... I may have an overarching plot planned out and I tend to work in an "all roads lead to Rome"-way.
One thing I've learned from both sides of the table is that: giving the players directions is good, telling them "You will do this OR ELSE" just ends with them rebelling.
I've done it myself so I know this :D.
ocelotteranian

Postby ocelotteranian » 10 Jun 2013, 12:41

Haha, yeah, I've actually played a whole campaign alongside three of my four players, and I distinctly remember their reactions to being railroaded (or in the case of that particular world, inter-dimensional portal roaded). It went BADLY to say the least ;)

I like that most of you seem to be in favor of letting them drive the plot to some degree, since that was my hope. So far in my plans, I have a sort of branching story... i.e. there's a big fat conspiracy for them to uncover (deviousness is the best story starter!) but they could go to like 5 different cities in the territories to start investigating. I've been trying to spread pieces of the puzzle out, especially since receiving the advice about coming up with multiple solutions to a problem.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 12 Jun 2013, 18:08

Also dice rolls are for "critical" moments.
Don't make players roll for everything. Also there are some players who are just dice happy, and this can become obnoxious. And dice are just sort of a "suggestion" of what should happen.
^( " )^
winner!

Return to “Tabletop and D&D”